DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 VAR opinion poll
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 12:34

There have been countless threads on VAR and it certainly seems to have divided opinion.I just wanted to gauge in a completely unscientific way to see what the general consensus is.

If you are for VAR hit thumbs up
If you are against it thumbs down

My own opinion having initially been for it is now against it. Goal-line technology has been a great introduction because it is needed rarely and can give a definitive answer. I would also use it for close offside calls and whether the ball has left play and that's about it-basically avoiding any decisions where interpretation is involved-technology in other sports, in the main, isn't used for instances like these.The other difference is that in most other sports decisions are made at the point that a natural stoppage has occurred-play isn't continuing in the interim.

It doesn't mean we get consistent decisions as suddenly a handball becomes more of a handball within the box than it would be a yard outside the box.Maybe with some tweaks and better implementation of it I might change my mind again but I'm definitely against it in it's current guise.We are reducing the amount of time the ball is actually in play-the Scotland game last night lost at least 7 or 8 minutes of actual football.I would rather we concentrated on getting better officials who can make the majority of decisions correctly-VAR will only encourage incompetent refs imo. It certainly hasn't removed the debate surrounding every decision.As long as there is a poor standard of officiating VAR isn't going to make a difference-it's just another ref watching the TV at the end of the day-the technology isn't making the decision-except goal-line or offside incidents.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: VAR opinion poll
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 12:37

πŸ‘

Think some of the laws and rules need tweeting.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 12:40

πŸ‘ŽToo much time wasting. Poor decisions are part of the excitement.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 12:43

πŸ‘Ž

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KilsythPar  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 12:46

πŸ‘nothing wrong with the system, but the implementation needs to be improved. It's basically a work in progress.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 12:57

The work and "tweaking"should have been done before it was rolled out in big tournaments .
I take it individual associations have a choice on implementation , as the English fa are only going to partially implement it .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 13:02

Don't think its a bad system, how it's used needs improved.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JnrB  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 13:04

πŸ‘
Fifa have made a pigs ear of it in the women’s World Cup.

However the system worked well in the leagues it was adopted in last season. It was sparsely used, and when it was used it was quickly carried out without any fuss.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 13:11

πŸ‘As I have said before var is a hammer blow to cheats and rule breakers.

Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 14:06

If we are going to use technology why not go all in? Just stick GPS chips in every players boots and ball and do away with the linesman.
Or have them put motion capture points on all there strips, then when viewing at home we could all pay for extra add ons, such as extra skins. Rather than Williamson passing to higgy, I could replace them with Van Dijk passing to Aguero !
We could also have a vote button, where the viewers are allowed to add a 1 goal to the best supported team?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Swisspar  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 14:24

I was for it, especially to beat the cheats. It has not been a success at the women's world cup, but that is down to those who obviously don't know how to use it. I also think, to avoid confusion over stoppage time, they should stop the clock when a decision is being reviewed. Last night's debacle at full time is not acceptable.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 14:28

I saw it used at a league game in Germany. They are getting better at using it and it worked well.

Football is trying hard to remove 'opinion' from refereeing, and while that has worked well in some instances, in others it is incompatible with VAR.

Post Edited (Thu 20 Jun 14:28)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theweepar  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 14:32

πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘Ž
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 14:32

πŸ‘

System is good enough but rules need tweaked, simple things like clock stopping during VAR checks and screens showing the crowd at the game what ref is looking at.

I'm just glad the pars wont be using it for a while

I also think that since referees are getting backed up by video, they should be getting interviewed after games about thier decisions they made after viewing VAR

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.

Post Edited (Thu 20 Jun 14:36)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 14:33

As a concept - I like it. I hate the way it's currently being used.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 14:39

πŸ‘ it’s not the technology or the idea that’s the issue, it’s the way it’s currently being used and the ridiculous changes to the laws of the game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 15:25

πŸ‘
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 16:48

πŸ‘Ž it has been brought in for the armchair fitba fan. Real fans who attend games are getting shafted.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 17:37

I've referred my decision to VAR and am still considering it...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 17:45

πŸ‘
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 18:14

7 all at the minute on the OP

What this has proved conclusively so far is that it's inconclusive :)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 18:41

πŸ‘
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 18:49

πŸ‘
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 18:51

Quote:

SergioDuarte, Thu 20 Jun 16:48

πŸ‘Ž it has been brought in for the armchair fitba fan. Real fans who attend games are getting shafted.

I'd wager I've been to more games where it's been implemented than most on here and I think its excellent. Has its teething problems and needs to be tweaked but overall it's already led to far more correct decisions than incorrect ones.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 18:59

For it but need clear rules how and when to use it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 19:31

πŸ‘
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 20:14

πŸ‘ for var. πŸ‘Ž for the way that some of the laws of the game are evolving and being interpreted.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 21:25

There is nothing wrong with bar last night was about p*** poor officials.the ref was well placed to see it was a penalty but didn't give it so somehow var comes into play why they had to look at it about 50 times is beyond me.the retaking of the penalty was a correct decision. The problem we have is the var seems to be over ruling the referee
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Helmsdale Par  
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 00:22

πŸ‘Ž
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 05:49

Where the decision takes longer than one minute then it should be returned to the referee which would allow play to be less interrupted

If a decision is so tight that it cannot be made after one minutes study of numerous angles then it is so minuscule that it is coming down to the width of a shirt or size of a boot or an nth of a second which is beyond human perception
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 07:47

A total thumbs down on this. Be careful what you wish for because I don't see this going anywhere nice.

FIFA and the powers that be in football are killing the game bit by bit by bit and eventually there will be no joy or excitement or even interest for the regular match attender.

Television has bought the game of football lock, stock and barrel at the higher, so-called elite levels. And at what cost?

These days, football executives refer to it as an industry rather than a sport. That's just so sad.

In Australia, we have already watched rugby matches on TV where adverts have been superimposed on sections of the crowd and doubtless it will come to football on your TV screen one day too. The fans become superfluous; they need not attend as they have no role to play in the spectacle.

To complete the background picture, we now have electronic ads running around the pitch.

So that's humanity taken out of the top half of the TV screen showing the match, how about the other half?

With fans out of the way, VAR takes the referee and linesmen out of the equation in all but the more mundane tasks. It wouldn't take too much to see them completely superseded, would it?

So that just leaves the players and how many technical steps are we away from the video game matching or even exceeding the reality? Not very far, one suspects.

When it does, the game at the elite level then switches from being an encounter between two teams of eleven men to two teams of computer-generated superstars, their every move dissected and super-analysed to add more detail and enjoyment to the viewing experience.

The Chelseas and the Man Uniteds save themselves fortunes on players with egos and human frailties, instead spending their money like Formula 1 on incremental technical improvements to their synthesised team so as to gain the edge on their rivals.

Amazingly, the fans remain. They buy their season ticket subscriptions offering them an "immersive TV football experience", they buy the regularly changing strips, the merchandise. If they are lucky, they get to visit the stadiums which have been converted into club museums and hypermarkets selling everything you could possibly want relating to your team.

In FIFA's eyes, it's still football... but not as you and I know it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 08:08

VAR was a big success at the Russian World Cup.

Now it is being undermined by amateurish refs who are,clearly, out of their depth and by confusing ill thought out new laws, notably the Penalty one, as the BBC's Steven Thomson has explained.

Football is a fast flowing game.Do we really want the endless stop start game rugby features?
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: