DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Added time - did the ref get it right?
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 16:07

It seems that there were 4 minutes left when the game was stopped for the VAR review of the penalty which took a total of 7 minutes before the issue was resolved with the converted penalty. Doesn't that mean that only 4 minutes should have been played after the issue was resolved? That was the added time that was displayed apparently. The fact that the VAR extended beyond the 90 minutes doesn't mean that the whole 7 minutes should have been played. The only problem would be that no time was added apparently for the 5 substitutions and any time-wasting the ref judged had taken place.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Added time - did the ref get it right?
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 16:16

In a word no-has anybody argued otherwise?

If there are a few controversial decisions in a match the time the ball is actually in play is going to be severely reduced-I don't see how that can be viewed as a positive by anybody. If it is to be used the clock needs to be stopped.Teams could start making appeals to waste time. If you can do enough complaining to get the ref to go over and look at the screen you could waste 5 minutes plus of play.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 16:28

You’re still supposed to add on time for stoppages in stoppage time. The VAR decision went 3 minutes into stoppage time and another 3 mins should have been added, on top of what stoppage time had already been planned by that stage. I’d also suspect the 4 mins didn’t include the VAR stoppage for the last 4 mins of the 90.

I’ve seen numerous times, a player getting injured in stoppage time and requiring a minute or so of treatment. There has almost always been an additional minute added on for that, on top of the announced minimum stoppage time. I can’t see any reason this would not be the case for VAR.

4 mins seemed about right, without the 7 minute VAR delay - which should undoubtedly have been accounted for.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 17:23

The aim should be to have 90 minutes of playing time. If a game is stopped after 86 minutes and there have been no other stoppages surely the ref can only play another 4 minutes when play has restarted, regardless of the length of the delay?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 19:55

But the referee didn’t even play 4 minutes after play restarted, she played 2. That’s the problem, there’s no way what she did was correct. There were 4 mins of the 90 left at the start of the VAR delay (not accounting for any stoppage time) and the game didn’t even continue for 4 mins after the scored penalty.

There also were other stoppages in the second half (4 other goals and 5/6 substitutions). Usually, all of that would add up to the 4 mins that were added on. This suggests that no time was added on for the VAR delay.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 20:06

If she played another 4 minutes we would have lost 4 3

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 20:19

Both teams could feel hard done by-would another goal for either team have seen them through? If so Argentina will be even more gutted as they certainly had the momentum.Enough time wasn't played denying both teams the chance to go on and win the game.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 20:21

I take your point, par-91. I'm sure that ref will be on her way home too after a shambolic performance.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: