DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Boxing Day/New Year fixtures
Topic Originator: adampar  
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 11:51

I see the SFL have again scheduled two midweek rounds of fixtures, one in October and one in March. Why on earth was one of these not rescheduled for the Xmas period when it’s possible the crowds could be double a midweek in Oct/March. I appreciate that Boxing Dsy falls on a Thursdsy this year so it could mean playing Thu then Sat but surely from s financial perspective this round be preferable to clubs?? Or even play on New Years Day??

For some years now the SFL haven’t scheduled Boxing Day fixtures despite the fact that crowds then are way up on that day compared to a standard game. We really do have a bunch of clowns running our game!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Boxing Day/New Year fixtures
Topic Originator: dpard  
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 15:39

I believe it's to do with the players preferring to play the Saturdays so that they can spend the Xmas and new year with their families. Nothing wrong with that in my humble opinion.

The flame still burns
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 19:25

Quote:

dpard, Sat 22 Jun 15:39

I believe it's to do with the players preferring to play the Saturdays so that they can spend the Xmas and new year with their families. Nothing wrong with that in my humble opinion.

That and also the fact that all employees must be paid double time for any work carried out on Dec 25th/26th and Jan 1st/2nd.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Perkins  
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 17:21

"That and also the fact that all employees must be paid double time for any work carried out on Dec 25th/26th and Jan 1st/2nd."

Pretty sure this isn't a fact
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 17:27

I'd imagine it is. Certainly some sort of premium anyway.

Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 18:24

Definitely not true. There’s nothing that says employees have to be paid a premium. Plenty of people work on these days for normal rate.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 18:26

Plenty of people do work on those days for a premium.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 18:34

Yes they do but plenty don’t. It is not a requirement for every employee in the country to receive a premium. Plenty of people who work in a 24/7 business have it in their contracts that bank holidays are part of their working week. I’ve been there and know plenty of people who still do it. I have never heard of a footballer being paid a premium to play on a bank holiday lol.

Post Edited (Sun 23 Jun 18:34)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 18:36

What about steward on a zero hour contract?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 18:44

I may have misunderstood GG’s post. If he is saying that all employees of DAFC must be paid double time on these dates because it is in dafc employees contracts then that’s fair enough. If it was a statement about employment law however then it’s definitely not true.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 18:46

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 23 Jun 18:36

What about steward on a zero hour contract?

Don’t know. It’ll depend on the employers policy on what they pay their employees on bank holidays.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 19:05

Quote:

Perkins, Sun 23 Jun 17:21

"That and also the fact that all employees must be paid double time for any work carried out on Dec 25th/26th and Jan 1st/2nd."

Pretty sure this isn't a fact

OK, let me put it another way. In years gone by, the Pars have always paid their match day staff double time for working on public holidays at Christmas and New Year. We haven't had such a fixture for a while now* and I can't be certain of current practice since I'm a volunteer.

*Falkirk on Jan 2, 2018?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Perkins  
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 19:23

Okay understood. Apologies for the pedantry!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 20:16

I bet the emergency and security services etc. wish they could stand down for the festive period regardless of when Boxing Day or New Years Day etc. falls.

Christmas Day should be exempt from fixtures, but otherwise football is part of the entertainment business and games should go ahead.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 20:23

The key word their is business. Not a service.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 21:04

Topic Originator: Perkins like | nolike
Date: Sun 23 Jun 19:23

Okay understood. Apologies for the pedantry!

No apology necessary. My post was unintentionally misleading, hence a number of posters pounced on it.

Maybe they don't HAVE to pay double time by law, but I believe they do it anyway.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: chewie  
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 07:59

Not buying the crap about the players wanting the time off. They choose this career and this is part of it. Many other jobs have to work over the festive period, in both public and private sector. Can you imagine pubs or restaurants closing on the busiest days of the year so their staff can be off? That is effectively what is happening here. The big leagues that realise there is money to be made make sure that they maximise revenue and enjoyment for fans. SPFL are pathetic. When the game is struggling to attract fans, it is obvious what should be done here.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 08:07

Quote:

chewie, Mon 24 Jun 07:59

Not buying the crap about the players wanting the time off. They choose this career and this is part of it. Many other jobs have to work over the festive period, in both public and private sector. Can you imagine pubs or restaurants closing on the busiest days of the year so their staff can be off? That is effectively what is happening here. The big leagues that realise there is money to be made make sure that they maximise revenue and enjoyment for fans. SPFL are pathetic. When the game is struggling to attract fans, it is obvious what should be done here.

I wouldn't have thought this was the main reason for the lack of festive fixtures, tbh. It could simply be down to lack of foresight on the SPFL's part. Once the fixtures are out, there is no incentive for the away club to move a game to Boxing Day or New Year. That's why, a couple of years ago, Ross McArthur extracted an agreement in principle with Raith and Falkirk that a game would be moved if the home team requested it, BEFORE the fixtures were announced. In the event, I think our home game with Falkirk was moved to the New Year slot.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: