DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Expectations
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 16:31

So...we're possibly one player (a winger) off of finishing our transfer business so now would be a good time to initially rate how SC has done and what we think our expectations are this season.

Obviously time will tell in performances whether the players were wise acquisitions or not but no harm in an early assessment on how we think our boss has done.

As for league expectations it hasn't been discussed much in any of the interviews I've read or listened to, think i only recall it mentioned once in one of Craws where he mentioned promotion playoffs and that with the two Dundee teams it would be unrealistic to go for top spot and with the youth in our team now incline to agree.

Honestly, I think it would be a superb season if we managed to make any of the playoff positions and the first few games I think we'll see whether we have it in us to do that.

That's got to be the aim, and think it will be very close again and to the wire.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Expectations
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 16:34

I think we should be fighting for those 3rd and 4th placed playoff places but with this team, anything could happen in reality
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 16:53

Really happy with the players SC has brought in, but then again I was overthe moon on AJs signings last year, ultimately the top 2 places should go to the Taysiders, but you never know un football. Im just glad ro be looking forward to football again after the drudgery that we have seen at EEP in recent seasons

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 16:56

There could be the chance of investment from down south. If that happens, then it could be very interesting next season

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 16:58

I would expect us to take us a while to get up and running to full speed so wouldn't read too much into the first few games-remember some folk getting carried away after we won the first game at Tannadice last season.I won't be reading too much into the League Cup either-the gap between the full-time teams and part-time teams has been evident on the whole over the last couple of seasons in that competition.It would be nice to progress though to get some cash in the coffers.I think after 10-12 games we should have a better idea of where we are at. Just had a first look at the odds today.I think we are actually shorter odds than we were last season although still 5th favourites.

Having not seen several of the team play I have no idea of what my expectations are for us just looking forward to hopefully seeing some energetic, attacking football.

Dundee
9/4
Dundee United
9/4
Inverness
11/2
Partick Thistle
13/2
Dunfermline
7/1
Ayr United
20/1
Morton
20/1
Queen Of The South
20/1
Arbroath
66/1
Alloa
100/1

Post Edited (Tue 25 Jun 17:09)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par_85  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 17:06

No expectations from me, just consolidation with a young and new squad like this. For me this is more of a longer term strategy so I'd be happy with anywhere 8th and above and then looking to hit play offs next year
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 17:16

The signings are interesting but where we finish it's really difficult to say. The youth brought in could be inspiring but they are unproven at this level so I find it difficult to be confident in predicting an accurate finishing position. I'd settle for mid-table with the promise of better to come.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 17:19

It's can't be as boring as last season in entertainment terms surely. It was the most turgid football in many a year.

League position, anything from 8th to 4th.

League cup, anything else than qualification for the next round is a big failure.

I think we might get one half decent player from the players from down south. Turner looks like a really good piece of business so looking forward to seeing him fit in. Hopefully one if the centre Half's we have signed have a bit if pace as we suffered badly from last year.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: chewie  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 17:34

Bookies have it about right in terms of placing, but poor odds. Expect 5th to 7th.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 17:34

^^ the league cup you are probably looking at a best runners up spot which isn't a given.

the league, im confident we wont finish in the bottom 2 but after that anything is possible. I dont see a stand out team that's going to run away with it, it could be an even tighter league than last year.

intrigued by Raymie's post..... ??
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 17:42

I demand a challenge cup triumph. Outrageous that we’ve never won it considering the amount of years Dunfermline have spent in the lower leagues in their history. Demand it so ah dae!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 17:47

Very intrigued by the comments about investment from down south.

Expectations need to be set low. Let's hope the young players find their feet and settle in quickly.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 17:51

''Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV like | nolike
Date: Tue 25 Jun 16:53

Really happy with the players SC has brought in, but then again I was over the moon on AJs signings last year,''

Good to get some honesty about last year's expectations. When you read some of the stuff on here you'd think everyone thought at the time we'd had a disastrous transfer window which isn't my recollection.

Last year's outcome makes me a wee bit cautious about expecting too much for the coming season but let's hope we enjoy the ride.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 18:02

Quote:

elvis_lives, Tue 25 Jun 17:19

It's can't be as boring as last season in entertainment terms surely. It was the most turgid football in many a year.

League position, anything from 8th to 4th.

League cup, anything else than qualification for the next round is a big failure.

I think we might get one half decent player from the players from down south. Turner looks like a really good piece of business so looking forward to seeing him fit in. Hopefully one if the centre Half's we have signed have a bit if pace as we suffered badly from last year.

Where are all these pacey centre half's. Can think of maybe three in Scotland.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hudza  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 18:12

Arbroath, Alloa, Morton, QOS, Ayr - I expect to finish above them.
Partick, Inverness, Dundee and Dundee Utd will be tougher id imagine.

A bit of unknown quantity this season but I like the youthful approach. Much better than signing the standard jobbers that float around the championship.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 18:23

I agree we hugely missed pace at the back after Morris leaving-it was no coincidence that Ashcroft perhaps had his worst season as there was no cover for mistakes.

Surely almost every centre half in the country is quicker than Durnan? If there wasn't one available in Scotland then look further afield. Admittedly Pawlett is quick but his goal at East End was a prime example-nobody even capable of catching him to put a foul in.I haven't seen all of the new defensive signings but I would be surprised if the manager hasn't identified that and addressed it.

The ability to read the game is a big help too-I remember a few English teams refusing to take a risk on Van Dijk because he didn't have the pace-how wrong were they?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 18:25

Quote:

GJS93, Tue 25 Jun 17:34

^^ the league cup you are probably looking at a best runners up spot which isn't a given.

intrigued by Raymie's post..... ??

9 points will be enough and given who we are playing we should hope to get a few goals. Only twice has 9 points not been enough but those two teams only had a +1 goal difference.

Especially if someone starts chucking money at us..............
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 18:28

Really getting excited about next season. Fed up with this shopping lark. !
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 18:29

I’d take 8th right now.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 18:51

Remember no individual can own more than 10% of the club therefore the above post regarding investment from down south is a puzzling one which I would take with a huge bucket of salt
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KirklistonPar  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 18:51

As long as we don’t get relegated & the football on display is more entertaining than last season then I will be happy. Surely it canna be worse than last season!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 18:58

Topic Originator: 1970par |
Date: Tue 25 Jun 18:51

"Remember no individual can own more than 10% of the club therefore the above post regarding investment from down south is a puzzling one which I would take with a huge bucket of salt"

Is this holding us back from a rich investor or is it to keep it within the hands of local invertors?

We have to be challenging for the play offs next season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 19:03

Expectations harder than ever to judge this year. Improvement over the last is the obvious thing I guess. I agree the Dundee teams should be first and second, but Dundee don't have much of a squad together yet. They have time of course. I think I go prob with majority though, should maybe be competing with the 2 Jags for 3rd-5th place.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 19:31

Based on the above, there is no clear consensus on what our target should be, if this is the case how should the manager be measured performance wise for this season?

If we finished a 6th or 7th would we be calling for a change in manager or is that acceptable given the route we're going down?

Post Edited (Tue 25 Jun 19:32)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 20:41

Quote:

Par, Tue 25 Jun 18:58

Topic Originator: 1970par |
Date: Tue 25 Jun 18:51

"Remember no individual can own more than 10% of the club therefore the above post regarding investment from down south is a puzzling one which I would take with a huge bucket of salt"

Is this holding us back from a rich investor or is it to keep it within the hands of local invertors?

We have to be challenging for the play offs next season.

10% maximum ownership is ludicrous in this day and age. There'll be no serious investment with that model in place
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 21:04

I'd much rather the 10% be in place and not go through the boom and bust of a big investor coming in and using us as their pet project

Fan and community owned makes sure the best interests of the club are kept in mind and not just shareholders pockets who can pull the plug on investment as quick as they give it in the first place

If that means we have to grow slowly then so be it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Malcolm Canmore  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 21:23

This was the first I had heard of a 10% restriction on share ownership. I have just re-read the Corporate Governance material on COWS and I cannot see any reference to a 10% restriction.

My dog eats meat
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 23:00

What investment from down south? I hate posts that assume potential readers know what you are talking about.
Completely out the blue to me and not a scooby what you are talking about.
Gonny philusin pls.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 23:01

I think that its a young team. We could probably do with two more experienced players. With a young team the problem will be consistency in performances. Youth and enthusiasm will get you so far but you need experience to steady and steer the ship over the length of the season. It will be interesting to see how they get on in the first few games. I think these games will be a good indicator on how the season will pan out. The younger players are going to be up against seasoned pros so there will be a steep learning curve. I believe however that this is the best way for the club to go and 2 year contracts gives the players some security whilst allowing the coaching staff to develop them. Realistically i see us pushing for promotion the following season. Key is to develop a good team spirit and maintain morale through the bad spells that will be inevitable. The supporters will be central to that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 00:39

As much as anything I want to see a change to our style of football. I think though SC would be in trouble if we finished below 6th judging by who is in the league. As others have said, at the minimum we should be finishing above Alloa, Arbroath, QotS and Ayr. Ayr are losing the key components of their team so should be less of a threat next season, but who knows? Dobbie, despite a great season still couldn't carry QotS out of 9th and he's another year older. Alloa and Ayr obviously given their part time status. Morton signing Robbie Muirhead should be enough reason for us to aim higher than them. I'd be surprised if the Dundee clubs didn't finish 1st and 2nd given their finances. If we can sneak a playoff spot then great, but as I said at the start I just want to be entertained most weeks trying to play some nice football, not what was on show last season where we managed to score the fewest goalsin the league
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigDaddyM  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 08:00

I think we'll be sniffing around 4th-5th place, personally quite excited with the signings so far, the younger guys on longer contracts will hopefully have a lot to prove and maybe that'll give the older guys the kick up the erse to push on this season as well. If things don't pan out entirely as planned by january I think we'll add a couple more older heads to push on and cement a mid table position for the next season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 08:53

Become hard to beat at home, look like there is a chance of goals happening and avoid a relegation dog fight and that's enough for me.
At least this year will be interesting.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 08:56

Quote:

P, Wed 26 Jun 08:53

Become hard to beat at home, look like there is a chance of goals happening and avoid a relegation dog fight and that's enough for me.
At least this year will be interesting.

That's pretty much my expectations of the season. Last season should hopefully not be too hard to improve on.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 10:02

Just some beef in the bridies will be enough for me.

Mid table finish,maybe scrape play offs,and more attacking football.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 10:08

As above, better football, more goals scored and a better home record. In terms of league position, a top half finish, if we end up 6th or even 7th but there has been a clear improvement in terms of style of play, entertainment and player development then so be it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 10:22

one of the main hopes rather than expectations for me is that the crowd doesn't jump on the backs of the young boys too early this season, hopefully there will be more exciting football to offset it but we will more than likely make a lot of mistakes as well due to inexperience

i'm happy to take more risks and play more attacking, passing football and just accept we will get caught out a few times early on but hopefully will learn from it as the season goes on
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JimMcDAFC  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 10:39

I think what we are trying is commendable but is also so hard to predict how we will do. A lot of the signings seem very young when you see the training pictures of them but as long as we get a lot more entertaining football than last season that will be progress and as long as we stay in the league mid table hopefully that would do me this season. Ps maybe they will have them playing the style of football that Gregg is implementing in the reserves/youth team hopefully.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 10:44

More entertaining footie= possible

Higher league position finish = possible

Top four contention = possible

Some beef in the birdies = doubtful, oh how I yearn for the days when a Stephens Bridie was a thing of beauty and filled with chunks of beef, it’s a very poor imitation these days (nothing to do with the club)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 10:54

PAR 85 highlights my concern too.In the close season a welcome realism permeates the Pars Fans Forum.There is much talk of giving our young hungry talented team a chance.

Watch it disappear like snow off the dyke if we start as we finished with 1 point from 8 games in the League.If we have lots of very young talented League 1 and 2 players,isn't there a danger we will be a young talented League 1 team?

There is little prospect of us competing with Dundee,Dundee Utd and Partick Th but we must compete with the rest.I fear highly experienced professionals at other clubs viewing a game with our kids with relish.

Then there is the disquiet that the Seasons are down almost 18% ,reinforcing the view that many fans are biding their time to see the start we make.It is not all bad news.Signing both Nisbet and Murray was a coup.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 11:03

SP where did you see that the season ticket sales are down 18%?

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Geordiepar  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 11:30

I’m just looking for the team to play with commitment and look like there is a clear plan on how we aim to play.

I’m pretty sure not all the new players will be a hit. But hopefully some of them will be and we can see the younger players develop. Hope SC has left a small amount in reserve so that after the friendlies/Betfred Cup games any obvious areas of concern can be addressed.

SC has a clear plan on the direction he wants to take the club, had potential players in at the end of last season to look at and so was obviously planning ahead and has managed to get his transfer business done early. So far all very positive.

As long as we are moving forwards, on a viable financial footing then that’ll do me.

Post Edited (Wed 26 Jun 13:57)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 11:57

that's zero chance all these kids we have signed will hit the ground running and not all will improve on the team from last season right away anyway.

Would take a safe mid table position right now, think we may be flirting with playoffs for at least a few months next season but not sure which end! no idea the ability of anyone we have signed...

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 12:07

I think also one of the benefits of youth is that they will be less injury prone or recover more quickly. Injuries place a burden on tbe club both financially and in terms of overall performance. I think players at 18 or 19 should be looking for regular first team football to further their career. If they develop with time and the investment by the management then the following season will put us in a realistic position to push for promotion. If the leagues are restuctured then it may present a bigger opportunity. If I were a manager with that level of inexperience in the side, I would consider bringing in well respected former players, managers or coaches on day sessions over the course of the season to give inspirational talks and provide advice and reflect on their experiences in the game. Mental health and resilience and confidence training is also important for young players.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 12:09

Quote:

1970par, Wed 26 Jun 10:44

More entertaining footie= possible

Higher league position finish = possible

Top four contention = possible

Some beef in the birdies = doubtful, oh how I yearn for the days when a Stephens Bridie was a thing of beauty and filled with chunks of beef, it’s a very poor imitation these days (nothing to do with the club)

On the most important point.

Are the Bridies at EEP inferior to the ones that they sell in the shops?

There has been a substantial decrease in quality at EEP in the last couple of seasons, last season a chunk of beef was as rare as a Pars goal.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dickandbert  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 12:31

How many times will we need to temper our expectations?
"It's a young side, largely signed from lower leagues".
"We are lucky to have a club" etc etc.

Do you remember when Bert and the team beat "Ranger's reserves" to the title, by 4 clear points?

Why not be positive and optimistic?

I think the old saying is;

If you think you can or you can't. You will be right.

In recent times we have had Livingston and St Mirren achieving promotion against most people's expectations.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 12:56

I tend to expect very little.... That way I'm very rarely disappointed but often pleasantly surprised

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: chewie  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 14:21

I think that if the games are entertaining and we are not in a struggle, then most fans would be ok with mucking about in mid table andnot being in play offs. As someone said above "enjoying the ride" is what it is all about - and something we have missed lately. Get the crowds back on side and get these young guys having a go at teams.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 14:46

Geordiepar: The Captain of the Titanic had a clear idea of the direction he wanted the ship to take.

eastendalloapar :Please read the Seasons thread.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 19:32

Being currently on the Queen Victoria, I have found it difficult but now that I'm on land and with a good signal I have managed to see the thread.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Jun 19:57

When did you last have a wonderful Stephens steak bridie?

It’s at least twenty years ago
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: