DAFC.net
Home 12 December 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Verdict on friendly match?
Topic Originator: ParsPryde  
Date:   Sat 29 Jun 16:09

Not expecting wonders based on fact we have almost a completely new squad and this is their first outing..... but looking at Twitter feed, a fair few of the players had a good 45 minutes run out .
And we got a win to boot, plus Ashcroft got his trademark bandaged head!

Would be interesting to hear from fans who were there in person.
Any flashes of "excitement" from our players which bode well for our team?

==============
Have your say, Join the PST Today

Proud to be a Par

"If you don't want to wear the jersey, stay in the dressing room": Norrie McCathie

Post Edited (Thu 11 Jul 14:22)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Verdict on first match?
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sat 29 Jun 16:38

Watched it on ParsTV and thought Lewis McCann looked very good in the first half, as well as Turner.

No other big stand-outs for me, they only had 45mins each.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sat 29 Jun 16:59

I wouldn't read too much into it. Friendly game to give players a run out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Sat 29 Jun 17:03

Was a typical friendly tbh
A few flashes of decent play but mainly very scrappy from out point a view.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 29 Jun 17:11

The new kit looks good based on the pictures on the twitter feed!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Athletic  
Date:   Sat 29 Jun 17:28

What formation did we play? Was there any signs if the high press game? I know it was 1st match back so not experting wonders from them
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 68guns  
Date:   Sat 29 Jun 17:41

McCann, Turner, Murray looked very comfortable.
No-one was horrendous and it had a suck it see feel about it. It was exactly what it was, first outing together for all these guys. A good mixture of youth and experience and looks back to a 442 formation, not sure that any of the midfielders were stickouts
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JimMcDAFC  
Date:   Sat 29 Jun 17:53

I thought Paul Allen did really well in first half along with scorer Turner and McCann on left, Morrison was solid at right back. Second half was so so with nobody standing out. Forgot to mention Beedling ? missed penalty in first half and followed up blasting the rebound from the keeper miles over the bar.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Sat 29 Jun 18:47

Some comments based on watching Pars TV. Lots of new players to get to know. Team completely changed for second half.

Like others I thought that In the first half McCann, Turner, Allan and Morrison did well. Some nice weighted passes and chips from Turner and Allan while Morrison did well defensively and made overlapping attacking runs. McGill looked like he could hold and shield the ball and look for a pass. McCann impressed and set up Turner’s goal too. Beadling missed with a poor penalty then hit the bar trying to shoot over keeper after ball came back off keeper. Lang was composed at back and Ash was head bandaged again!

In second half we started brightly then fizzled out a bit with a lot of possession but few chances. Lewis Martin did well and Murray and Bragg had things under control at the back. Dow did well too. Gill’s distribution was very good but not sure about his ability with crosses into the box. Brief flashes from others. We could have lost a goal when one of their men was left unmarked but fortunately they missed. Their main threat (especially first half) was through ex-Par Ross Forbes.

As others have indicated we probably shouldn’t read too much into first 45mins for players but in general a number of new, previous and youth players showed promise (given nature of game)

One thing that was noticeable was we seemed to be trying to play players in a bit more directly with weighted chips and through passes (Turner, Allan, Paton) for players to run onto.

All in all a reasonable first pre-season outing

Post Edited (Sat 29 Jun 19:01)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Sat 29 Jun 19:03

First match with a brand new squad so obviously difficult to judge but on the basis of that 90 minutes alone a neutral would have struggled to tell which was the higher league team and there was little play from us to get excited about. Other than the goal and penalty I can't remember us testing their keeper. Looks like we're trying to adopt a more passing based game but the vast majority of that was backwards, sideways and miles from the opposition goal with little in the way of cutting edge. Not wishing to be critical or read to much into an end of June friendly but the OP asked for opinions on the match and, on the basis of those 90 minutes against lower league opposition, I wasn't filled with optimism.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sat 29 Jun 19:06

You have to remember as well neither half team lineup will be the lineup start of the season.

It was a well judged mix of first team and youth.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Sat 29 Jun 19:26

The first game is always intriguing as it gives you some hints about the manager’s thinking.

Of course, squad numbers is another clue, but often a player with a low number never makes it as a regular starter, for some reason.

Given the number of actual or potential central defenders we have – Ashcroft, Lang, Murray, Devine, Martin, Morrison, Beadling, Jordan, Bragg and even Allan, I had half-expected us to be lining up with 3 central defenders. The lack of obvious wing-backs may be an issue. As it was, it seemed like a 4-5-1 in the first half, with Smith right and McCann left leaving McGill a bit isolated. The second half team looked more like a regular 4-4-2.

There was certainly evidence of the Greg Shields “play it out from the back” philosophy, but Forfar were soon wise to that, and put our back line under pressure.

McCann and Turner caught the eye, but there wasn’t a lot to get excited about – it’s early days though. As stated above, I think experience was split fairly evenly between the two halves. Anyone care to guess what the first choice starting eleven will be? I’ll go with:

Scully

Morrison, Ashcroft, Murray (or Lang), Martin;

Dow, Paton, Beadling, Turner;

Ryan, Nisbet.

Of course, we haven’t seen Comrie or Bowman yet (or Devine)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 29 Jun 22:59

Happy with the responses so far.

Kinda backs my own thinking that it was a good first outing for players.

Glad no-one appears to have had a bad game and a couple made a decent claim to be considered as a starter.

A couple more games and combinations and we might have a decent chance of deciding who plays better with who and build understandings

Looking forwArd to meeting squad at Open Day tomorrow and maybe catch a bit of the training session so I can decide for myself who looks promising.

Getting a wee buzz of excitement that it's gonna be an interesting season.

==============

Proud to be a Par

"If you don't want to wear the jersey, stay in the dressing room": Norrie McCathie
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Sun 30 Jun 00:19

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Sun 30 Jun 12:55

Paul Allan looks a good prospect for the future and a good passer of the ball. He also impressed in last season’s Fife Cup Semi-Final.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par_85  
Date:   Mon 1 Jul 13:45

Going solely off the highlights it backs up what most said on here that were at the match

McCann looked sharp and did well and was always looking to take on a man, would like to see him get a chance in front of Smithy this season

Definitely see a creative side to Dow and his delivery from outside the box looked pretty good and we seen what a difference that makes even just from set pieces with Blair last season

Coley looks like he will be constantly on the go harassing or running at players and keep defenses on their toes

Ryan seems to be the more likely one to naturally drop deeper to link up with Nisbet on the last man

Still got Bowman and Comrie to come in as well

With the rumours of 1 more winger/creative player coming in i'm pretty happy with the squad they've put together and it's just to getting them playing together as a unit. Lots to be excited about for the season ahead!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 1 Jul 14:07

Going by Stevie's post match interview He's gonna tinker about a bit more tomorrow (Dumbarton) possibly splitting player's time as 60/30 then have (I'd guess) the basis if his (initial) team for Saturday v Hibs, "to see where we are".

Then it is the first competitive game v St Mirren (BetFred).

Strange? I could have sworn we had more than 3 friendlies set up....
but COWS only list Forfar, Dumbarton & Hibs.

==============

Proud to be a Par

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par_85  
Date:   Mon 1 Jul 14:12

I think we had another set up against Albion but cancelled after we got them in the Betfred
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 1 Jul 14:30

The reserves are playing an away friendly this Friday against Civil Service Strollers. Does anyone know where they play?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Mon 1 Jul 14:45

Silverknowes area I believe

25 Marine Dr, Edinburgh EH4 5EJ

Post Edited (Mon 01 Jul 14:48)
[IP address logged]
 Re: Verdict on friendly matches?
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 15:34

So.... Kelty hearts tomorrow (10th) I think then we're done for pre-season.

Competitive game next weekend BetFred Cup V St Mirren. A big game to start with!

How's the general feeling for season to come now?

Seems to me that we have had a decent run out in the 2 friendlies we've played and team seems to be gelling fairly well.

So are we :

optimist that the mass changes may work and we'll play better football and build a better team.

pessimist that too many changes, team not settled/too naive, gonna lose too many points initially and that will leave us on back foot for rest of season.

I have not been to any games but based on what I've read as feedback from those who were there, I think I'm optimistic that we can have a good season.

Any stars showing glimpses of class yet?
Coley? McCann? Murray?

==============

Proud to be a Par

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SAP PAR  
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 15:49

I’m looking forward to the season now. I saw enough on Saturday to show we have a squad of players who will give their all in games. I expect it will be a bit of a rollercoaster with us finishing mid table or slightly above. I would like to see us have a decent cup run. It’s been a while since we went very far in the SC and the excitement that goes with it.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: