DAFC.net
Home 13 November 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Shankland
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Wed 3 Jul 20:51

Signs for Dundee United. Confirmed by Dundee United social media

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Shankland
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Wed 3 Jul 21:04

Thought he had his sights set higher .

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Wed 3 Jul 21:24

Me too...3 year deal!

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hudza  
Date:   Wed 3 Jul 21:56

Rather have Nicky Clark
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 06:04

Dundee Utd would obviously not rather have Clark as their first choice striker, looks like another season of bench warming for him
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 06:20

Perhaps attitude is Nicky,s problem, certainly looks like it at times , think Shankland will fizzle out and be the bench warmer

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 06:58

Think he will score a lot of goals this coming season .Both Dundee teams are strong along with a few others .
I think we will de around 6th in the league due to the age and inexperience of our new team .
But looking forward to the start of season
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 07:08

Not sure why people are expecting Dundee to be so strong - they’re signing policy so far has been similar to ours. If they’re pinning their hopes on Byrne ripping up the league then I suspect they’ll be disappointed (after a sending off last season he was replaced by Lawson at Livi and struggled to get back in their team) - they may have some signings up their sleeve though.

I hope I’m wrong but I fear Dundee Utd might run away with the league this year.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FRED1981  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 07:54

I bet Ayr are fuming could have got 500k in January.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dfc  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 09:52

Looks a decent signing for United but also a big gamble wages wise,happy with my clubs signings and our younger lads getting more of a game this season.Should be a good league!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 10:10

I would imagine Shankland has been signed as a replacement for Safranko rather than a threat to Clark. Neilson alternated Clark and Safranko last season so the same may happen with Clark and Shankland.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 10:19

Interesting to see how Shankland fairs without Moffat. He wouldn't be the first prolific striker to struggle without him along side.

I'd prefer Clark over Shankland to be honest.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 11:08

I think that Michael Moffat was very much underrated as a striking partner. In my view he was the success behind FEB and no doubt Shankland too. Both he and Clark seem to be a similar type of player so I too will be interested to see how it works out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 11:12

Quote:

Indiapar, Thu 4 Jul 11:08

I think that Michael Moffat was very much underrated as a striking partner. In my view he was the success behind FEB and no doubt Shankland too. Both he and Clark seem to be a similar type of player so I too will be interested to see how it works out.

Agree 100%
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 12:08

If United can't win this league with McMullan Clark and Shankland in their team then they'd be as well chucking it

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 14:57

"I think that Michael Moffat was very much underrated as a striking partner. In my view he was the success behind FEB and no doubt Shankland too. Both he and Clark seem to be a similar type of player so I too will be interested to see how it works out."

Only partially agree with this and I think it does FEB a disservice. A quick reminder of what he did that season - it's not as if Moffat was laying the goals on a plate for him every week.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=faissal+el+bakhtaoui&view=detail&mid=8F0F4C014A3E46DEE3868F0F4C014A3E46DEE386&FORM=VIRE
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 15:01

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=faissal+el+bakhtaoui&view=detail&mid=8F0F4C014A3E46DEE3868F0F4C014A3E46DEE386&FORM=VIRE

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndBoy  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 15:53

Quote:

widtink, Thu 4 Jul 15:01

I love that video so much. What a season that was.

FEB came back to us a broken player. No question.

...ken?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 16:25

I think most people agree he left EEP to early. He should have done a season with us in the championship. Thats football I suppose. Not sure why he didn't score more goals but the team were lack lustre all round. Maybe he lost confidence.

Post Edited (Thu 04 Jul 16:26)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 23:30

Sadly we are what used to be known as a selling team. But unfortunately we haven't had anyone that great to sell that would boost our income significantly. Our signings have mainly been speculative and of players who may or may not have potential. The outlook is the least encouraging that I can remember. The Pars have never been a team to settle for lower league mediocrity but have always been pushing for the top league. It looks like our rivals for the top four places have strengthened their squads with more obvious quality players than we have. Hopefully the players we have signed realise what a great club they have joined and surprise us all by playing well above expectations. After all WE ARE THE PARS.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 06:47

With the exception of Dundee Utd which top quality players have our rivals signed? I’m quaking in my boots at the thought of Shaun Byrne and James Vincent coming to East End and tearing us apart - not!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 06:49

Shaun Byrne has developed into quite a skillful player. Not the player he once was when he left the Pars.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 06:49

Quote:

AJ27, Fri 05 Jul 06:47

With the exception of Dundee Utd which top quality players have our rivals signed? I’m quaking in my boots at the thought of Shaun Byrne and James Vincent coming to East End and tearing us apart - not!!

Inverness and Partick in particular have done very little whilst losing a considerable number of players
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 07:31

I think most clubs in the division and indeed lower leagues are signing younger players. There isnt the money in the game anymore unless you are one of the top six clubs in the country. I think the younger players have been refreshingly honest in saying that they have come to EEP in the next stage of their development. Its a stepping stone for them on to bigger things as theywill benefit from 1st team football. Over the next 2 or 3 seasons I can see many clubs returning to part time football or a mixture of part and full time players. This is the route Raith Rovers have gone this year.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 09:44

I think most clubs have had a wake up call regards finances.

Players in the 26-30 age group at our level are simply nowhere near good enough, it's the last port of call before part time or finishing, and it showed in the performances.

Pretty much every clubs supporters have said 'I think we should sign Tidser' which shows you there simply is nothing happening at that level.

Look at our guys-Vincent is a wreck, Hippolyte an ok footballer-but where?, Higgy has had his days here-there simply isn't anyone where anyone would take a punt.

Plenty young players with potential-seems to be a mini revival, it might well be that none or few will make it-that's entirely up to the players-might as well go for it rather than horsing money on players who are simply unfit, to get nowhere.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KnebworthPar  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 10:13

Much rather watch a team of young lads, optimistic about their future giving it a good go than some of the diddies we’ve had over the last few seasons. Pars should be a selling club, I think it’s fantastic we’ve signed a load of guys at the start of there careers. Who was the last Pars player to push on and play top class football? Jackie Mac really, and I have to say some of the best memories I have as a Pars fan was watching him as a young lad shutting up shop at right back. imagine one of the guys we’re signing having a career like that, would be brilliant.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 12:17

The game is about entertainment after all. I think some older seasoned pros tend to forget that they are selling entertainment. Over competitive leagues, high financial stakes, and short term contracts have taken alot of the entertainment value away. I have read a number of comments on here that the big clubs have a strangehold on what happens in tbe SPL but I wouldnt under estimate the value of smaller clubs who can be more adaptable and flexible to lead the way to change tbe sport from within. Bringing in fresh younger talent is key. I would argue that at 19 ror 20 the players are adults and should be playing at that level anyway. I dont really get so called under 23's football. In the working world apprentices are fully qualified at 20 to 21. I dont see football as being any different.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 13:06

Agreed. Under 19s then yer a big boy.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 14:39

Are people forgetting Bryne absolutely bossed this league with Livingston, or are they just claiming he's crap because of how he was played with us?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 14:45

Some of the praise Byrne has been given for his performances for Livingston have been way over the top - the season they went up he did very little against us - looked no better to me than when he was with us. Livingston were a well managed team where the team was better than the sum of it’s parts.

Last season he lost his place after a sending off and never regained it - I was at a meeting with a Livi supporter this week and he’s not fussed about him leaving.

A good player, nothing more.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FRED1981  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 15:15

DITTO
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 16:15

It was written in the New Testament that when a player leaves EEP he automatically improves by approximately 359 million per cent

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sonofpetrie  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 16:59

Quote:

da_no_1, Fri 5 Jul 16:15

It was written in the New Testament that when a player leaves EEP he automatically improves by approximately 359 million per cent

Bible basher.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 18:04

^^^^^
BLASPHEMER!!!
🤣

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Boston Red Sox  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 18:05

The halibut was fit for who?

Same rules apply
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 18:20

Quote:

Boston Red Sox, Fri 5 Jul 18:05

The halibut was fit for who?

The 5000?

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 19:05

Quote:

sonofpetrie, Fri 5 Jul 16:59

Quote:

da_no_1, Fri 5 Jul 16:15

Bible basher.

Other publications are available.......

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stevopars1984  
Date:   Mon 15 Jul 20:08

Byrne would walk into our team. Did you see his assist on Saturday vs the wee team? I don’t think much players can do that great vision. Livingston offered him a new deal and he rejected it. That’s why he never played near end of the season. Big reason the results for Livingston were so poor compared to first half of the season. I wish him all the best as he’s a lovely lad
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Mon 15 Jul 20:51

Let’s be very honest here, Shaun Byrne when he was with us did not have the ability to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and stamp his authority on it

He was and still is a reasonable player, no more no less

The point in fact is that when he came back to EEP with Livi he did exactly what he did in his time at Dunfermline, not a lot to influence the game in any major way

No doubt he is a nice lad, that has no relevance on his footballing ability

Remember he could not cement a first team place in our side and was an in out type player or came off the bench. When all is said and done it does not paint a picture of a class act that some would have us believe
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Mon 15 Jul 21:00

Quote:

1970par, Mon 15 Jul 20:51

Let’s be very honest here, Shaun Byrne when he was with us did not have the ability to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and stamp his authority on it

He was and still is a reasonable player, no more no less

The point in fact is that when he came back to EEP with Livi he did exactly what he did in his time at Dunfermline, not a lot to influence the game in any major way

No doubt he is a nice lad, that has no relevance on his footballing ability

Remember he could not cement a first team place in our side and was an in out type player or came off the bench. When all is said and done it does not paint a picture of a class act that some would have us believe

It's all about opinions, noones right or wrong. Personally I rated Byrne, yeah a little lightweight but he had potential and I was disappointed to see him leave and would prefer to have him than not.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Mon 15 Jul 22:12

I'm glad we let him go tbh, he hadn't progressed at all really and he doesn't work in a midfield two. He was absolutely anonymous in about 80% of games.

As noted though he's a ****** great lad and I'm genuinely happy for him, he took a step down to get regular game time and play in a system that suits him and its worked fantastic, the wage he'll be on with Dundee is probably bigger than any of the ones our midfielders are on. Deserves every success he's got in the game.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Jul 22:52

Completely agree with both Grant and 1970par - one of the nicest guys you could ever meet but absolutely thought we were right to let him go - in my opinion over hyped at Livi - Dundee fans I work with are dead excited to get him and raving about his first appearance - time will tell.

I’d be delighted for him if he proves me wrong and shines for them - obviously with the exception of the games against the Pars. Despite how it ended for him here he still holds us in great affection - I will always remember the first game after we were forced to release so many players and played a team full of youngsters, ironically away to Livi - Shaun brought down in the box for a late penalty and Hubby converted to send the crowd into raptures - moments like that are why we keep coming back.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: