DAFC.net
Home 22 July 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Phil Neville
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 6 Jul 18:42

He was sounding quite sensible until things went pear-shaped for the England women's team. Having said yesterday that he wanted his team to go away with a medal, he's now saying the third-place final is a 'nonsense' game.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Phil Neville
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sat 6 Jul 20:04

I agree with him about the 3rd place game in these tournaments. Both teams have been knocked out, just leave it at that!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Sat 6 Jul 20:45

Sour grapes from Neville, he would not have been saying that if they had won. Saying also that they went there to win it not come fourth, I think he was very disrespectful to Sweden. Well done to the Swedish girls, my second Country after Scotland.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 6 Jul 21:57

What's with the waistcoat? No originality. But no doubt in line for a knighthood
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Swisspar  
Date:   Sat 6 Jul 22:46

Also, no WAY hand-control, except it was!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Sun 7 Jul 07:10

England are successful losers. If there was a reward for being really good at failure then us and them would be the greatest.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sun 7 Jul 08:02

Some English correspondents were very critical of the Scottish expert ,who set up the Scottish Football Museum ,for reminding the media that Scotland invented football.There is a 16th century football at Stirling Castle.

Therefore, singing "Football's coming home" is nonsense.

Indeed the English papers said the Professor had crossed the line.

VAR showed he hadn't.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Jul 18:10

Genuine question, why is neville the manager for the team gb women's team in the Olympics?
We all know they'll be a token scot in there but my question is why he seems to be the automatic choice for the gig?

Post Edited (Mon 08 Jul 18:10)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 8 Jul 19:07

Because us Scots are too insecure to participate enthusiastically.

Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Mon 8 Jul 20:56

Because the England are the best of the home nations, the majority of the squad will be English, so it makes sense for the team to be managed by the manager who knows the players best.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Jul 21:03

What I couldn't understand was that GB automatically qualified for the Olympics because England were one of the top three European countries in the WWC. What if Scotland had finished in the top three European sides?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 03:51

What I couldn't understand was your point, wee eck...

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Boston Red Sox  
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 04:17

We would qualify twice?

Same rules apply
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 06:28

I think if you take out all the anti English he is by far the most experienced person for the job
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 06:50

I hope team GB lose every game, even if it has 11 Scots
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 07:13

Quote:

1970par, Tue 9 Jul 06:50

I'm happy for you.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 07:19

Quote:

ipswichpar, Tue 9 Jul 07:13

Quote:

1970par, Tue 9 Jul 06:50

I'm happy for you.

Just the one bite, Kenny. Poor show. ☹

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 08:34

Quote:

Rigger Al, Tue 9 Jul 06:28

I think if you take out all the anti English he is by far the most experienced person for the job

Don't really see "anti English" comments in the thread, but would that not be like saying lennon should get the Scotland job as likely most of the players will come from celtic?

Neville has a job, he's manager of the English national women's team. The manager of team gb is a different job. Don't care the nationality but to be seen to be fair to other nations taking part, I personally think it should have been someone else
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 09:04

The fairest way to pick a GB team, is too invite so many players from each country in the UK and that would be a truly GB team. I would be interested to know if a representative from each of the four will be present at the GB team selection.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 09:07

Quote:

steaua, Tue 09 Jul 09:04

The fairest way to pick a GB team, is too invite so many players from each country in the UK and that would be a truly GB team. I would be interested to know if a representative from each of the four will be present at the GB team selection.

That’d be the fairest way, but it’s unlikely to result in the best team. The objective of the olympics is to win.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 09:10

Quote:

DBP, Tue 09 Jul 08:34

Quote:

Rigger Al, Tue 9 Jul 06:28

Don't really see "anti English" comments in the thread, but would that not be like saying lennon should get the Scotland job as likely most of the players will come from celtic?

Neville has a job, he's manager of the English national women's team. The manager of team gb is a different job. Don't care the nationality but to be seen to be fair to other nations taking part, I personally think it should have been someone else

It would not be like saying Lennon should manage the Scotland team. The Scotland manager job is permanent, the GB Olympic team manager is temporary for one summer, and comes round once every 4 years at most.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 09:44

I think one of the problems is that the SFA does not officially approve of a GB team because they think it might threaten Scotland's status as a separate country with FIFA, although they won't stop Scottish players taking part if chosen. Wales and NI may take the same view. The easy option is probably to appoint the manager of the England team as the GB manager. It must make it quite difficult for any non-English players to be selected though and, if they are, to feel part of the group.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 09:58

Could be written into his contract that he does the team GB job.
Saves another wage just for the Olympics.
Who knows.... And in the grand scheme of things... Does it really matter that much?
I certainly won't lose any sleep about it 😴

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 10:13

"What I couldn't understand was that GB automatically qualified for the Olympics because England were one of the top three European countries in the WWC. What if Scotland had finished in the top three European sides?"

Shelley Kerr may have got the team GB managers job?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 10:17

It wouldn't be right if the FA could write into the contract of the England manager that he'll also be the GB Olympics team manager. It might matter to any other potential candidates for the job. Maybe the FA are responsible for running the GB team though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 13:12

The reason the FA and Team GB asked Neville to be team managers is that all other associations refused permission for their employees (managers) to be involved
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 13:13

"The reason the FA and Team GB asked Neville to be team managers is that all other associations refused permission for their employees (managers) to be involved"

Seems a good enough reason.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 14:20

It should be someone else. Whilst it's likely the best players will be England ones, they are at an unfair advantage as Neville will know them better than the Scottish, Welsh or N.Irish players. There's also potential for conflict when he drops one of his England team for a player from elsewhere.

The concept of "British" teams for football and rugby is just a nonsense. To me it'd be like having a once a year tournament where the 4 main Fife teams become Fife Utd. It'd just be the Pars with a couple of wee team players, an East Fife guy and some Cowdenbeath bench warmers. Utterly, utterly pointless.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 17:48

You really don’t want to be supporting a team GB

if we start going down that line then pretty soon you will lose your home nation and will be off to Wembley to watch an all English team play as GB at the World Cup and Euros, FIFA have opposed the 4 nations having separate teams for years and will put pressure on to amalgamate

It’s not an anti English thing, more a Pro Scottish thing

No team GB, no matter where the players originate from, and no GGRiva It’s definitely not a fishing trip

I can guarantee I will never be singing “it’s coming home”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 17:52

A GB team will never ever happen. Fifa couldn't give two hoots about it either.

Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 18:40

I personally agree with TOWK on this, As far as Olympic teams , I am pro team GB, I support the British lions every 4 years and the European Ryder cup team every 2 years .
Team GB in athletics Every four years, why shouldn't I support team GB in football during the Olympics.

1970par is it all British squads in all sports or just football at Olympics?

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 18:53

I think football is particularly sensitive because the four home nations want to compete separately in the World Cup and European Nations Cup and the three smaller ones feel vulnerable if a GB team competes in the Olympics.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 19:56

Really don’t like the British Lions either, can’t see the point in playing an amalgamation in Rigby when the home nations all play separately

Why don’t Australia and New Zealand play together against them?

The Ryder Cup is OK as there is not normally any Nations teams, other than that I’m not really a fan of Britain amalgamating for anything

When Sir Chris Hoey said he would dip out of the Commonwealth Games representing Scotland to concentrate on the team GB Olympic squad I was raging

I’m just a patriotic Scotsman I’m afraid
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 20:59

I couldn't bring myself to support any Team GB
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 22:01

All GB teams have separate associations that agree to come together to represent as the one team.
This will never happen in football as for one the English FA is far too big an organisation within FIFA for it to even be a discussion.
Just a load of scaremongering whenever people try to put that argument forward
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Jul 23:14

Crap
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Wed 10 Jul 00:29

I'll start worrying about it when The Faroes are absorbed by Denmark, Italy consumes San Marino and France & Spain go to war to gain control of Andorra's footballing talent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Wed 10 Jul 08:36

I am as patriotic a Scotsman as you will meet 1970par, I just don't get the anti-GB thing.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree mate 👍

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Wed 10 Jul 08:49

I can understand the Faroes example (although they have more autonomy than Scotland and aren't in the EU for example) but San Marino and Andorra are independent nations and are members of the United Nations. Scotland isn't a member of the UN yet - FIFA and UEFA are two of the few international organisations that Scotland belong to independent of the rest of the UK - and we don't have an Olympic commitee (Andorra and San Marino do and have competed at various Olympics for decades; the Faroes does have am Olympic committee and their athletes compete independently at the Paralympics but compete for Denmark at the Olympics).
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Wed 10 Jul 09:04

But the Olympic committee enters sports on the basis that there is a GB association which is in turn in most sports is made up of each individual countries associations that wish to be part of a GB team.
Team GB is a sporting organisation it has nothing to do with the UK hence the reason it's not called Team UK
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Wed 10 Jul 15:46

It's Team GB and NI actually. At least officially. And athletes from the Channel Islands, Isle of Man etc. compete under the same banner (most famously recently Mark Cavendish).
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end