DAFC.net
Home 20 November 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Worried or cautiously optimistic?
Topic Originator: ParsPryde  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 14:38

2 days away from first competitive match, Bet Fred Cup against St Mirren.

We have almost an entire new team been built, with a lot of youngsters, but the friendly games seem to show that they're working well together. Promising?

St Mirren were relegated, appear to have kept most of the team together (I can only find reference to new manager, Goodwin, and 2 new players signed) Is this a good or bad thing? These players failed to stay in Premier League (good for us) but they could also be a settled team who knows how to play together (bad for us)

SO... Are we worried that first competition game(s) are against newly relegated sides? or are we confident that "Craw's Cubs" can do a job against them?

Hoping for a good start to season to set us up on forward foot but.... have players gelled into a "team" yet?

Gonna be interesting whatever happens.

==============
Have your say, Join the PST Today

Proud to be a Par

"If you don't want to wear the jersey, stay in the dressing room": Norrie McCathie
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Worried or cautiously optimistic?
Topic Originator: Murchadh  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 14:47

I'm worried that you think St Mirren were relegated.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 14:50

Quote:

Murchadh, Thu 11 Jul 14:47

I'm worried that you think St Mirren were relegated.

😂😂

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sintv  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 14:50

I'm worried he thinks it's 2 days
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 14:54

I'm cautiously optimistic. We have to accept we've completely changed the structure of the playing and coaching staff so there will be hiccups (it's the pars, this is inevitable!). I just want to enjoy going to the matches again, try to play some exciting stuff. The end of last season was awful, we were playing terrible football and a lot of the players just weren't up for it. I think we all have set our expectations a bit lower after what happened last year, so hopefully this time around the boys can go out and play with a bit of freedom and go after teams. We will probably concede more goals as a result of that, but the hope is to score a barrel load more than last year. I'd much rather our structure was trying to hone younger prospects with a couple of experienced pros rather than AJs setup of a bunch of mid to late 20s players who didn't have much of a future left at that level or higher. If we manage to sell on some players once they've been developed then hopefully that can prove to be a sustainable model to build upon
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: lewis17  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 14:55

😂 Not sure where to start with this one
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 15:04

Ok OK... Obviously over celebrated birthday yesterday and brain TOTALLY failing today!

Partick relegated not St Mirren (D'Oh! No 1)
Game on Sunday, so 3 days away - (D'Oh No 2)

Forgetting that 90% of my post is therefore incorrect (D'Oh No 3 - and it's a hat-trick!!!) the point I was attempting (and failing) to make is
Are we optimistic?

(going to find a nice dark room to hide in now until embarrassment fades... Might see you again about Christmas time :D )

==============

Proud to be a Par

"If you don't want to wear the jersey, stay in the dressing room": Norrie McCathie

Post Edited (Thu 11 Jul 15:06)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LesliePar  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 15:06

Still not quite there 😂 it was Dundee that were relegated. I'm cautiously optimistic to be honest. Only thing I'm a bit concerned about is forward options, think we need another striker and winger.

COYP!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 15:06

Worried.
If things don't go well from the start the total raspers that follow us will be on the young players backs in no time.
We have a tough set of fixtures early on so I'm worried we may not get off to a good start.
The boo boys will then see to it that we will struggle to recover.

It's not the calibre of player we have brought in that worries me but the calibre of supporters we have.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 15:08

Oh Dear! I'll get my coat shall I?

If it helps as an excuse.... it was a BIG birthday yesterday :D

==============

Proud to be a Par

Post Edited (Thu 11 Jul 15:09)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 15:11

I'll start it now - Crawford out!

Serious note - i'm both optimistic and worried.

Optimistic at the start of a new season, a young squad who looked sharp vs Hibs and lots of positivity coming from the management team too.

Worried that after a tough league start that it may kill confidence completely and may struggle to recover. Will see what happens Sunday but we should be winning the other 3 games in the group so hopefully that gives the lads something to build on and kick us on!

C'mon Ye Pars!

Post Edited (Thu 11 Jul 15:21)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: lewis17  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 15:11

I have to agree with that. I think the its vital that the supporters approach this season with a sense of realism as opposed to optimism. After last season where the results and the performances were both poor for large parts of the season, the thing I would like to see the most is 100% effort from each and every player. I've no doubt that no matter where we end up come May, these boys will have given everything. That will be good enough for me and anything else is a bonus.

Post Edited (Thu 11 Jul 15:12)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 15:15

Connor560, you made same error as myself.

Our game is on Sunday 14th live on BT Sport (not Saturday).

==============

Proud to be a Par

Post Edited (Thu 11 Jul 15:20)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 15:22

just used to saying Saturday even though I knew it is Sunday since i've organised to go!! lol

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 17:03

Don't worry about it ParsPryde... These things happen... Usually to me 🤣
I'm cautiously optimistic.
Can't be much worse than last season anyhoo
Can it? 🤔

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 17:55

I don't see us winning. Thats too much of an ask against an experienced Premiership team. A good performance where we work hard to get a result is all that can be expected. Its early days and the young squad will need time to gain experience and improve.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JimMcDAFC  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 17:55

I think it would be pretty hard for it to be as bad as last season. I am expecting a bit of inconsistency with a younger squad, some very good results with some poor also and I would be satisfied with seventh place providing we are more adventurist/entertaining going for wins rather than settling for draw. Apart from the money obviously the premier league is just as boring as ours with playing each other so often.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 18:02

Not expecting to be challenging near the top , but round abt 5th 6th and not in too much of a dogfight near the bottom will do for me .
With such a large amount of new players coming in , I think it could be difficult start but maybe once the guy's become accustomed to each others strengths and weaknesses , I'd hope to see us improving as the season go's on .
Certainly hope we don't get on their backs early doors .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rikaka  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 19:00

Not worried at all. We won't be challenging for the playoffs this year, hoping we can start to build something decent. Expectations this year score more goals and play a bit nicer.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 19:12

Worried. I just hope there are teo teams worse than us.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 20:03

A little of both. No doubt given the schedule and number of new faces it will be bumpy early doors, but the talent brought in by the mgmt staff looks promising. And I think the mgmt staff has been very thoughtful in the process, both in their selections and in their comments. I really want them to succeed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 20:20

The sense of expectation isn't as high this season so it should take the pressure off the players and get better backing from the fans.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Thu 11 Jul 23:49

Just happy to have enthusiasm through our the team.As long as they give their all for the Jersey, that'll do me, mid table suits me for first season of young team.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DRreturns  
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 00:19

Why wouldn’t we be aiming for playoffs? I don’t see Morton, Partick, QOS, Ayr, Inverness as any better than our squad! Only the 2 Scumdee clubs (because they’ve flung money at it) should be standouts this season!

I’m here to take over!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 01:49

Cautiously optimistic.

As long as they try their best and give their all for each other and the club, I’ll be happy.

Unless they get relegated, then blast their hides to Hades..... 😉

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Boston Red Sox  
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 07:24

I’m worried that I’m cautiously optimistic 🤔

Same rules apply
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 07:32

As always I see us winning every game we play

Realistically though, challenging for the play of places at the top end would be acceptable

In my heart though, let’s wipe the floor with everyone in this league and have it won by crimbo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 07:42

Nothing to fear Pars........GoFerret!

🔩 ya 🚀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammy_shuffle  
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 11:02

Like at the start of every season - hopeful. I will say one thing. I don't expect to win every game but I do hope for a bit of entertainment Last season even when we were winning the games were turgid. Hopefully we can win a few more games than we did last season and occasionally an entertaining game of football breaks out.

I don't subscribe to the Bobby Williamson school that if you want entertainment go to the cinema.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Captain Desmond Fancey  
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 11:27

Fully expect the dot net meltdown to begin within 30 seconds of Sunday's game ending.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 12:45

Optimistic, I am a pars fan optimism is all we have at times.

Altho I dont think we will win the championship,
I believe the Craw and Shields have the bones of a good squad in place for the future.

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 12:55

I'm swithering between cautious optimism and optimistic caution.

Who knows? I think it'll be a wee while before we know what kind of season we're going to have. Last season actually started pretty well before it all went pear-shaped.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 13:18

I think that we will do quite well. However I can't see us push for promotion. We might get 4th place, however we will probably between 5th and 7th.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gaz3822  
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 15:54

For me, realistically I think we'll finish bottom half of the league. Think the young players we've recruited will battle away and do quite well, but I think we need at least 1 other older head in there. Think Ashcroft is a weak link too. Certainly would be shocked but pleasantly surprised if we were in playoffs.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 16:17

I agree we need one more experienced player in tbe squad to get us through the season. It will be an up and down season for sure. The supporters can also be the extra man we may need on the park too.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 16:58

There seems to be a bit of a scapegoat being sough and identified

To suit the boo boys of course, they don’t want to be giving any of the young players it tight but who then? Ashcroft, yeah he will do, played a couple of bad games last season, let’s get it started early

Give it a rest please, the season has not even started yet and our fabulous fans are looking for someone to vent at
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 18:12

Quote:

1970par, Fri 12 Jul 16:58

There seems to be a bit of a scapegoat being sough and identified

To suit the boo boys of course, they don’t want to be giving any of the young players it tight but who then? Ashcroft, yeah he will do, played a couple of bad games last season, let’s get it started early

Give it a rest please, the season has not even started yet and our fabulous fans are looking for someone to vent at

There was plenty of praise for Ashcroft when he played alongside Morris. It can't be easy to perform as well alongside defenders who are not as assured, aware and quick as Callum was for us. Has he be retained by Ross Co? I think he and Ash could still do a job for us.

Agree with 1970 that we need to give our new squad a chance before we start laying into individual players before a ball is kicked in earnest.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 19:36

Ok, for me Ashcroft isn't a 'main' centre back, he needs a better defender to play next to him because he's so slowwww. But he'll be playing as our main defender again with another next to him. Well I hope the other boy is quick....that's all I'm saying.
And btw he had more than a couple of bad games last season, I think a bit concern is justified.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 21:10

It’s the pre requisite that for some reason Pars fans have that we want single out a player every season for “special encouragement”

If I’m wrong then please feel free to correct me

let’s just think now about those who have come under the microscope and when it actually made them play better

suggestions please?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Jul 21:35

Well if he has a stinker this season I won't want him anywhere near us the next, end of..
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 10:56

Think new players will be given a Grace period by fans to settle in and be forgiven for dodgy games.

The few players remaining from last season may get a harder time. Seems like no player, except Joe Thomson maybe, got pass marks last season so expect most will be starting with minus points against them, especially Ashcroft because he was also Captain.

My opinion is new team mates are surrounding every player. New connections need to be built. So every player needs a little time and understanding to settle in to starting team irrespective of whether they are new, existing, young or older.

All I ask is that every player on the pitch tries their hardest and puts in their best effort.

==============

Proud to be a Par

Post Edited (Sat 13 Jul 12:54)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DrumRoad  
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 12:46

Topic Originator: ParsPryde like | nolike
Date: Sat 13 Jul 10:56

“Think new players will be given a grave period by fans to settle in and be forgiven for dodgy games”

“Grave Period” PP, I think you need to get back into your dark room & stay there a good bit longer

2015/16 League one Winners
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 12:58

Maybe you're right, Drum Road. 😕

==============

Proud to be a Par

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 15:55

Think we'll struggle the first few games, it's a very tough start and its whether they can pick themselves up or not.

We should be challenging for the promotion playoffs, that's the objective but wouldnt be surprised if we finished 6th/7th.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 16:10

It’ll be an extremely difficult season. A manager that has very little experience and a group of young players mixed together with the remainder of last seasons duds. We are realistically miles away from top 4 this season. The lad from Norwich is a player and I’ve heard positive reports about Gabby McGill. Hopefully we gel quickly and get some points on the board. Thankfully Crawford has rid the club of the shameless charlatans that disgraced the club last season and for that he deserves credit.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 19:54

For me it is not always the best players make the best team. If you took the best parts from every car manufacturer they wouldnt fit together never mind give you a working vehicle. Its how players interact to make them a team i.e. more than tbe sum of their individual parts. For me its about team performance over individual performance.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 20:08

I'll wait till we see them in a few competitive games.I'd be glad if I'm wrong and they rip St Mirren to shreds tomorrow but I think we need to let them weld into a new team.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sat 13 Jul 23:29

Quote:

Indiapar, Sat 13 Jul 19:54

For me it is not always the best players make the best team. If you took the best parts from every car manufacturer they wouldnt fit together never mind give you a working vehicle. Its how players interact to make them a team i.e. more than tbe sum of their individual parts. For me its about team performance over individual performance.

I agree to certain extent India, but I drive a BMERCVW

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DrumRoad  
Date:   Sun 14 Jul 20:47

Well, question pretty much answered for me on today’s performance, lots of very positive performances from pretty much an all new team

Young, fit, productive & keen was on display in abundance today.
In the first half you would have thought DAFC were the Premier league team giving the lower leaguers a lesson in football!!

Still lots to work on as was evident in a 10 minute spell in the second half but if they continue to gel & improve at the rate they obviously have done since the start of training then I look forward to the upcoming SPFL Championship season & off course the rest of our Scottish Cup campaign

2015/16 League one Winners
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: