DAFC.net
Home 23 September 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The Green Brigade
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Sat 3 Aug 17:49

At the Cellic game today the Green Brigade unfurled banners stating "To keep Celtic down you will have to deport the whole Fenian army that gives them support" could be interesting if the Scottish authorities choose to do anything .
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/green-brigade-unveil-fenian-army-18822266.amp?__twitter_impression=true

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The Green Brigade
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 3 Aug 18:16

Best to ignore these numpties, publicity is the oxygen that sustains them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 3 Aug 18:20

They really are utter cretins.

Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sat 3 Aug 19:54

I wonder who funds their banners?

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Sat 3 Aug 20:18

What does that actually mean?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Sat 3 Aug 22:00

What a truly embarrassing sight.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 3 Aug 22:19

Quote:

elvis_lives, Sat 3 Aug 20:18

What does that actually mean?

Exactly what I was thinking. I can't fathom it at all.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 3 Aug 22:39

I think it means that Celtic supporters are so much better in their commitment to their team than supporters of other teams in Scotland that if you want to see the demise of Celtic you will have to deport them. It is interesting that they seem happy to embrace the term fenian and as I suggested in a previous thread the real meaning of the word is not offensive.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 00:19

So by then using that word does that give fans of Rangers (and others) Carte Blanche to sing the "Sad F***** B*****d" song to any ex-Celtic player?

Not sure what the actual point of the banner is mind you.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 00:27

They just want to court controversy and choose the wording carefully allowing argument to ensue as to the real meaning of the message

If outsider were to use the word “fienian” it would no doubt be termed as derisory and offensive however using that word when describing yourself is acceptable, can someone explain please?

Post Edited (Sun 04 Aug 00:30)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 00:55

Just ignore them guys.No place in football. West of Scotland bigotry.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars11  
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 01:40

Attention seekers and trying to be controversial at the same time. Probably aimed at getting press coverage on a day Rangers were not playing and they were confident of being table toppers from the start of the season. Hope sanctions are given but doubt if the authorities will act as they may be in the are you a Rangers or Celtic man mentality.

Bluebell Polka
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 08:37

Think their message is misguided........

The real power of the OF is in their collaboration. Their public face of rivals hides the financial collusion of both clubs.

Carve up the Scottish game - Grab the lions share of the sponsorship, TV revenue, gate money etc. Leave the scraps for the rest.

The GB are kidding themselves on if they think they have any influence in this.

Maybe we have all missed the point........

The GB are all remainers and this is a clever ruse to be deported back to Ireland by Halloween and stay in the EU!

🔩 ya 🚀
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 08:43

How can you deport Scottish people from Scotland?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 09:11

Celtic and rangers are the establishment clubs. They are not being rebels supporting the establishment, if they wanted to see what it is like to go up against the establishment they should all support their local teams.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 10:11

Quote:

General Zod, Sun 4 Aug 08:43

How can you deport Scottish people from Scotland?

I really wish we could. Happily send all the Rangers/Celtic "fans" who give it all the "FTP" and "up the ra" nonsense to England/Ireland. Don't need their sort in Scotland.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 13:01

Quote:

Paralex, Sat 3 Aug 22:39
It is interesting that they seem happy to embrace the term fenian and as I suggested in a previous thread the real meaning of the word is not offensive.

I think the word is offensive and my wife and family from Ireland find its use in modern parlance offensive.

Just because a few people try to own the word doesn't reduce that... A bit like rappers using the n-word doesn't mean it's not offensive
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 13:39

The original meaning of the word is descriptive and not offensive but where spat out with venom and hatred with the accompanying offensive words it becomes wicked bile and deeply offensive.

We can point the finger all we like at people who perpetuate hateful attitudes but it is always best first to search our own hearts and get rid of any lingering prejudices there.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 13:48

I think it’s best to try and not let things like letters being arranged in a certain order offend you.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alf  
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 13:58

It's lyrics from a song about the coronation cup
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 14:21

You know, it is a funny thing this question of offensive language. When I was about six or seven, our family moved to Hillhead in Glasgow for a couple of years because of my mother's job (she was a teacher).

We lived in a ground floor flat in Great George Street, off the Byers Road, close to the university. I befriended a neighbour in the adjacent close, a black kid originally from Trinidad, who insisted on being called Sambo; his real name was Joshua, but there was no way the kids at his school would accept that, so he willingly took on what, even back in 1961, was regarded as a shockingly racist nickname in order to be accepted into Scottish life.

I sometimes wonder what became of "Sambo". I really hope he became Joshua again and went on to enjoy a successful life as a proud immigrant Scot.

In much the same way, I despair when I see terms like "Fenian" uttered in public life. They belong to another, less enlightened, time and should not be heard in society today.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 14:27

Indeed but the scumbags of the green brigade are trying to be 'edgy'.

Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 4 Aug 22:55

To balance things up a bit, Rangers fans performed a pitch invasion today. Had they won the cup? The league? Performed a miraculous European comeback? No, they beat Kilmarnock...

The roof collapsed in the disabled section injuring a fan (not clear if the incidents were linked).
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 00:17

They were linked Jake, rangers scored a late winner and the goal scorer jumped into the crowd, 2 supporters climbed on roof to get closer to celebrations , one of them started jumping up and down and roof collapsed

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/footage-shows-rangers-fans-destroy-18827220.amp

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.

Post Edited (Mon 05 Aug 00:18)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 00:36

I've got an RC friend and one day I used the term 'nunnery'. She was very offended. 'Why did you say that word?' she accused. 'The word is convent.' I couldn't think of the word 'convent' at the time. I thought they were interchangeable, didn't know 'nunnery' could offend. Isn't there a line in Hamlet - 'Get thee to a nunnery.'

What gets me is not that some people are offended but that they won't give you any leeway. They just jump on you. My friend could've just thought, 'He can't be trying to offend me - mustn't know any different.' Which was true. We have to give each other leeway. We're not word perfect all the time.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 02:12

The word Fenian has only become offensive because its general use in Scotland has become synonymous with "Roman Catholic". It is used as a slang word which in the mind of the user is a collective term for Roman Catholic. Now if the perpetrators knew a bit of history, they would in fact know that we all (protestants and Roman Catholics) owe our existence to our Roman Catholic forefathers and even the much vaunted John Knox started out as a Roman Catholic priest. Scotland itself owes much to our Roman Catholic forebears who bravely produced the declaration of Arbroath. I write as one who was brought up as a protestant and am appreciative of all that the reformation brought, like a school in every parish and the printing of the Bible in English and freely available for all of us to read (or not read if that was our choice) for ourselves. But for what possible reason would I wish to discriminate against my Roman Catholic friends or hurl abuse at them in the guise of supporting a football team.

Post Edited (Mon 05 Aug 02:15)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 07:46

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Mon 5 Aug 00:17

They were linked Jake, rangers scored a late winner and the goal scorer jumped into the crowd, 2 supporters climbed on roof to get closer to celebrations , one of them started jumping up and down and roof collapsed

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/footage-shows-rangers-fans-destroy-18827220.amp

Feral.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 08:12

Much like yesterdays "ayrshire is protestant" banner

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 09:04

Quote:

Paralex, Mon 5 Aug 02:12

Now if the perpetrators knew a bit of history, they would in fact know that we all (protestants and Roman Catholics)

We all ? Nice generalisation there Paralex. I am neither.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Captain Desmond Fancey  
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 09:20

The whataboutery from both sets of their fans is absolutely nauseating, and we're only in Week 1 of the season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 11:19

Same ****€, different season

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 11:37

Ref: Paralex
Date: Mon 5 Aug 02:12

<<< We all owe our existence to our Roman Catholic forefathers >>>

How d'you mean Paralex?

Even if Scotland once was offocially RC, it doesn't mean everybody was RC, or that their RC-ism is in any way to thank for our existence. More like love. luck and hard work.

Anyway, as I am free of religion, maybe you could explain? (On the off topics forum if necessary?)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 13:06

"GB", well played sir.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 13:59

Mikey Leonard and on the up, of course I was generalizing since the topic was concerning a Rangers/Celtic bigotry issue, the "all of us" was centred only on the two players in that particular scene but on a very positive note, all of us who have lived in this country have benefitted from many good things which have come about through our Christian heritage, whether it be our Roman Catholic or Protestant past and I mentioned two of the benefits.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Aug 14:41

Again, "onandup" by saying that we all owe our existence to our Roman Catholic forefathers, I had qualified the word "all" by putting in brackets (protestant and Roman Catholic). What I meant was that those of the reformed Faith's ie Protestant, owe their existence to very many heroes of the Christian faith who originally brought the gospel to the British Isles and endured great hardships in the process. While there have been many scandals (past and present) in the various churches, there have also been far more Godly and self sacrificing men and women of great character and worth who have contributed to the health and wealth of our country and abroad. One of the great contributions of the reformed churches in Scotland was the determination to educate our people by providing a school in every parish and I would imagine that all of us in totality have benefitted from that.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: