DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Beware of the backlash?
Topic Originator: KilsythPar  
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 13:21

Headline topic on COWS. I prefer George Farm's comment in 1968 when we beat the European Champions 2-0 at Parkhead. "Let them worry about us".
We have nothing to lose on Saturday so let's approach it in a positive manner. Such negativity is self-defeating. I'm not saying I expect us to win, but let's give it a go and show them what we can do.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Beware of the backlash?
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 17:07

Think you're looking far too much into a headline.

Fwiw if Crawford came out and said "let them worry about us" he'd laughed right out of town.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 17:15

35/1 get your mortgage on it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 17:22

I fear a 7-0. Will be happy if it is 4 or less. Hope it is not a tanking obviously as it might dent confidence.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 17:24

If I were a gory hunter I would not have spent five decades and more supporting the Pars.

I expect Dunfermline to go there and do their best.We can ask for no more.

The aim was to qualify from our League Cup section and we have done that.

And on Monday the Club Treasurer can hop ,skip and jump all the way to the bank.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Swifty  
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 17:31

Give it our best shot. Hopefully keep the score respectable. Avoid any serious injuries and laugh all the way to the bank. COYP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ben,D.A  
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 17:42

The significance of the `pay day` is less important than what the team takes from this. Win, draw or be hammered by 10 goals is only a result. The fact that the rest of our season is playing against lesser teams than the Scottish Champions can only bring an experience to learn from. Lets get behind the team and give them confidence not doubt. get in there Pars. Onward and upwards.

only 11 make the team,the rest can just but dream.

Post Edited (Thu 15 Aug 17:44)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 19:06

Getting back to the OP, I would be telling these players to go out there and enjoy themselves and make the most of an occasion that some of them may never experience again. Remember, Celtic are only a big fish in a small pool. Their real quality was exposed the other night. Hopefully Stevie picked up on a few weak areas that we can try to exploit. It may be unlikely, but if you don't believe you have a chance, you are beat before you start. Nobody was laughing at George Farm when he came back with the result.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 19:57

Why on earth are we making absolutely any comparisons between this fixture and the one in the 60s? There's absolutely no comparison to be made at all, in the slightest, even the smallest most minute of amounts, none.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 20:27

Its Celtic V Dunfermline at Parkhead ..... comparison although slight..... Btw I was at the Celtic 0 Pars 2 game
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 21:00

A tight result would obviously give the players a real boost, but a heavy defeat need not be a disaster. We shipped 6 goals when we played at Ibrox a couple of years ago and I feared for us in our next game v ICT but we won 5-1.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Aug 21:17

Quote:

Grant, Thu 15 Aug 19:57

Why on earth are we making absolutely any comparisons between this fixture and the one in the 60s? There's absolutely no comparison to be made at all, in the slightest, even the smallest most minute of amounts, none.

Same 2 clubs, same venue, also a cup game, same expected result, same massive underdogs for the Pars. Fairly obvious really....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Fri 16 Aug 08:42

"same massive underdogs for the Pars."

We were underdogs but not 'massive' They were European Champions, but we were a top flight team who'd regularly competed in europe and had only been narrowly beaten in the cup final by Celtic a few years earlier.

Only comparisons that can be made are same teams, and it's away from home.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Fri 16 Aug 08:57

I cannot make the game due to family commitments, however I hope every Pars fan has a huge pride in the team when they are walking into the park and to display the good nature and passion to support the team. Many of the younger Celtic supporters will not really know much about this team and who they are. We can always hope that the team can pull something out of the bag, be competitive and display the passion of how we can play football and how we can support good football.
Enjoy your day ladies and gents and do us proud.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 16 Aug 12:37

"Same 2 clubs, same venue, also a cup game, same expected result, same massive underdogs for the Pars. Fairly obvious real"

Only if you think along such simple lines.

While it is the same two clubs they are world's apart from the teams they were back then, football as a whole is an entirely different sport. Parkhead nowadays is not the same venue as back then, pitches could, and often would be a leveller back in the day, with Parkheads pristine pitch now? Well there's a reason they've only lost once domestically there in 3 seasons in a game that meant nothing to them.

Dunfermline just a few years previous to that had came within a point of winning the title, a few years previous to this we were in the 3rd tier. While underdogs it is nowhere near as close, not a smidgen, not on the same scale no matter what way you put it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: d3monstrate  
Date:   Fri 16 Aug 12:45

Might as well just not turn up then...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 16 Aug 13:21

With any thoughts of the 68 Cup game? Aye.

Just turn up and enjoy the game, the grasping at straws from some fans on here trying to make tenuous links to old games would make a masturbating scarecrow blush.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 16 Aug 16:56

Whatever.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 16 Aug 17:51

Maybe George Farm was not so confident of victory in January 1968 as has been suggested. He took the precaution of having tickets printed for a Wednesday replay in the event of a draw
Ever keen for a photo shoot, Farm then appeared on the back pages of some newspapers ceremoniously ripping up one of the printed tickets which were not of course needed after our 2-0 win.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: