DAFC.net
Home 17 September 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Could History Repeat?
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Fri 16 Aug 08:43

I am indebted to Gadgie59 who reminds us of the Celtic line up at Parkhead on 27th January 1968.

What unfolded was the most exciting and unexpected Pars performance ever( even better than the subsequent Hearts Cup Final or the night at West Brom).My friend,David Eydmann,and I arrived to learn that Celtic star full back Jim Craig,a top dentist,was out ,to be replaced by Cattenach.

Tomorrow Ryan Dow can exploit the blatant Celtic weakness at full Back.

Now will I Place my bet at 45/1?

Post Edited (Fri 16 Aug 08:43)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Could History Repeat?
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 16 Aug 08:59

I am not a gambler, but if I were, a fiver at those odds wouldn't go amiss.

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 16 Aug 09:19

You can get 49/1 on the Betfair Exchange if you're going for it. I think we're going to get pumped but that's actually a decent price so I'm having a couple of quid on.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FRED1981  
Date:   Fri 16 Aug 11:31

No.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Fri 16 Aug 12:40

Posted on another thread that you'd have to be incredibly simple to compare this game to the one at the weekend.

And here we are, I suppose we should all count ourselves lucky that we didn't get reminded about Lee Robinson.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gadgie59  
Date:   Fri 16 Aug 12:44

Thank you for the acknowledgement Sliema :)

I just hope we go out there and 'play football' - this, pretty much, is our cup final; I hope that that is the way the team approach it.

I listened to the 2nd half of the radio commentary of Aberdeen's game against Rijeka - really sad. It sounded as though both teams treated the entire second half as a casual training exercise - and the commentators (including Willie Miller) made numerous references to the fact that, if they could have, both teams would have packed it in and walked away long before the final whistle.

Regardless of how the match unfolds, I hope our guys give it their all (for 90 minutes) - I'm pretty sure Celtic will.

Who knows, perhaps history could repeat?

“Football is a beautiful game,
It should be played beautifully.”
Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 16 Aug 13:01

Grant: I do not know how old you are but it is natural to remind the older generation of one of the matches in the halcyon days.

And to tell the generations which have come since what we should aim to attain again.

Other Provincial clubs have won the Scottish FA Cup.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Fri 16 Aug 13:19

I'm thankfully just old enough to remember the consecutive seasons where Inverness and St Johnstone won it for their very first time, while Hibernian won it for the first time in over a hundred years.

With this being the league Cup I can just stretch my mind back to remember St Mirren, Ross County and Kilmarnock all being Victor's.

Dunfermline have been involved more unexpected results than the one alluded to in the first post, which on the face of it really isn't all that surprising. Dunfermline would finish a grand whole 3 places behind Celtic that year in the league, if that's our most unexpected result...

Post Edited (Fri 16 Aug 13:56)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gadgie59  
Date:   Fri 16 Aug 16:27

Personally, I believe that football is not just about skill, tactics and ability. I honestly believe that passion is a crucial ingredient. Neither is it solely about the players on the park.

When we won against Celtic in 1968, not only did we overcome the reigning European champions (on their home turf) not only did we overcome a team that would truly become “legendary”; but we overcame Jock Stein’s Celtic.

That, is truly amazing.

At least, I think so :)

“Football is a beautiful game,
It should be played beautifully.”
Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 16 Aug 19:46

We had real quality players back in '68 - none of the present squad (no disrespect) are anywhere near that level.

Tomorrow will be a hard shift.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 16 Aug 22:55

54/1 on the Betfair Exchange now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 08:40

Quote:

veteraneastender, Fri 16 Aug 19:46

We had real quality players back in '68 - none of the present squad (no disrespect) are anywhere near that level.

Tomorrow will be a hard shift.

But none of the Celtic squad are European Champions either!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 09:23

59/1 now 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 09:25

"But none of the Celtic squad are European Champions either!"

True - but their recent domestic form is consistent, 6 against St.Johnstone and 5 at Motherwell.

Comparisons with '68 are meaningless.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wjmcm  
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 09:36

Great memories S.P. _ and I knew David Eydmann. My workmate Andy Campbell and I were going to put a bet on the Pars that day. Then Andy said that if we win this one we'll win the cup so let's bet on that instead. The odds at the bookies where Jimmy Watson worked opposite the top bus stance were 28-1. Win the cup we did and we both got a nice lift.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 09:51

We will be leading at half time... we always do...

:)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 10:53

wjmcm: What a nice surprise that someone remembers David. (1951-2006).

He and I were at the RC High School in Kirkcaldy so faced a long bus journey each day.(These were the days before St Columba's).

At school football matches,surrounded by kids in Celtic gear,we stood out in full Dunfermline Athletic strips.We were at ever round of the Scottish Cup together but nothing ever equalled that day at Parkhead.

It would be nice to chat with you at the next Supporters' Council meeting.I will wear my distinctive red and white Malta hat.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 11:58

Back in '68 the team was fairly settled. There wasn't the tendency to buy a completely (or almost completely) new team for each new season. Back then we could be fairly accurate in assessing how the team would perform but now we have a collection of players who are just getting to know each other and have only played a handful of games together. They haven't played a "big team" like Celtic before so we don't know how they will do. Let's hope Celtic underestimate them and we get a few lucky breaks.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 12:06

We don't need to go back as far as 1968 to seek inspiration. I can remember the Pars winning at Parkhead five times since then.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 14:01

Whenever Celtic met the Pars in the Jim Leishman era,he ,reputedly ,called the team together in the dressing room just before they went out on the pitch.

Then,tongue decidedly in cheek,he verbally dismantled the Celtic team eg all their perceived weaknesses and short comings.

In season 1984/5 he did this in a cracker of a Skol Cup tie when John Watson gave us an unexpected half time lead at EEP ,though it was 1-2 in the end!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wjmcm  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 02:31

Thanks for the reply S.P. Met David for a drink in Hong Kong quite a few years ago. Great guy. Live in Queensland now so doubt we'll have a chance to meet. I taught at St Andrew's High in the 60's so we've probably met way back then.
All the very best.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 06:38

History DID repeat itself yesterday.

There was an uncanny resemblance to 28th January 1984 when Rab Stewart gave us an unexpected lead at Ibrox but Rangers went on to win 2-1 (McAdam McCoist).The newspapers agreed "Rangers got out of jail."

Something is stirring at East End Park ,and Jim Leishman remarked that that performance,all those years ago,was a turning point.

I suspect yesterday was one too.

Stevie,you have more than made up now for Starks Park in January!!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: