DAFC.net
Home 23 September 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Bad taste
Topic Originator: kozmanout  
Date:   Sat 17 Aug 23:59

Anyone else feel slightly uncomfortable or embarrassed by the singing of peados directed at the Celtic fans.
I'm all for some banter but felt this was in bad taste and took some of the enjoyment away for an excellent day out.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Bad taste
Topic Originator: gegganpar  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 00:07

Totally agree, don't know why some people think that's acceptable.

J angus blacklaws
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AWPars  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 00:15

I loved the atmosphere today for the most part. Singing all game long and the scenes at Beadling's goal can't be put into words.

However, I agree with OP. The Paedo, Fenian and Jay Beattie chants were bad. Wouldn't be surprised if we got fined for it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 00:23

Whilst wrong, I doubt we'd be fined for it. If a team got fined every time their fans sang something inappropriate then Celtic and (the) Rangers would be bankrupt. If identified I'd hope they get a word in their ear. There's banter and there's abuse.

Have to say that the "greatest fans in the world" were awful today. Half didn't turn up and then booed their team and walked out after Beadling's goal.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Inchkeithpar  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 00:27

Heard the peado ones, but I never heard any to do with jay Beattie or any sectarian chants
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 00:38

Inchkeithpar wrote:

> Heard the peado ones, but I never heard any to do with jay
> Beattie or any sectarian chants

Jay Beattie was aimed at the Harry Hill looking supporter who spent the whole game making hand gestures at the Pars fans, he had a young kid with him, a shining example to his child he certainly wasn’t.

Alright if we want to be critical we ideally should be supporting our team not criticising aspects of the opponents. However the preciousness of the Celtic fans after their narrow win is laughable, they have no lines in the sand when it comes to chants about individuals, politics, sectarianism so to declare our chants as poor is definitely pot kettle black.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 00:53

Pot kettle black ?

Are you being serious?

They may not have lines in the sand but that doesn't mean we don't.

I hope you are pissed and regret posting such a stupid statement when you wake up !!!!

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 01:18

The paedo shouts started fairly quickly, at first I thought it was aimed at a bespectacled gentleman in the Celtic end who was very quick to start firing “banter” towards our end, but then it went from a few enthusiastic younger fans making it specific as a response to him, to being a full on chant toward the Celtic fans as a whole. The “cheer up Neil Lennon” chant with the “fenian” bit was sung by a pretty large number of our fans with fair pelt.

I didn’t hear any chants from Celtic fans at all today, and they have been guilty of some pretty unpleasant stuff in the past. However today we had a large number of people in our end who have done us a bit of a dis-service and takes a bit of gloss off what was a fantastic day. I’m more irked that it gives credence to a section of old firm fans who claim all “diddy clubs” have a leaning. Indeed makes us seem a bit “pot kettle” ourselves when you hear that crap from our own end. I’d much prefer us not to involve ourselves in any of that nonsense and stick to supporting our boys.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 03:16

Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV like | nolike - 2
Date: Sun 18 Aug 00:53

Pot kettle black ?

Are you being serious?

I hope you are pissed and regret posting such a stupid statement when you wake up !!!!

How is it not pot kettle black ?
Week in week out they are out of order but if it’s directed at them it’s an outrage, hypocritical and precious from fans whose team have had a bad week.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: YankeeDollar  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 03:25

The bad taste I witnessed was the Celtic Street urchins entising some Pars fans for a square go. Obviously uneducated and evidedence of being in layman's terms 'a fud'. All in all, the Pars singing was non stop and the majority of the songs were Pars related songs. Well done the DA supporters, we were immense.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 03:45

Anyone who thinks this takes anything away from our performance needs to give themselves a real good shake
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 06:05

The facts of this matter are simple - there can be no defence or justification for chanting of this nature. The identity of the opposing team matters not one jot either - chants of an offensive nature, be they political, religious (or irreligious) or of a personal nature, are not welcome at East End Park. This is the subject of a very explicit announcement before every game in our stadium. The club’s stance on this is in no way ambiguous, and for good reason!

Audible chants like this reflect very badly on all of us - and worse than that, they are twisted into some kind of warped justification for continued vile behaviour on the part of some opposing fans.

The people indulging in this sort of behaviour are acting like dull, uneducated oafs. They don’t speak for me, or for the overwhelming majority of other Dunfermline fans. They, and their behaviour, are unwelcome, and these actions have to be called out and challenged every time they rear their ugly head. Otherwise, we get caught up in an endless cycle of the schoolboy’s war-cry: “it’s no jist me”, and the whole sorry thing rumbles on ad infinitum.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: broontroot  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 06:37

Just seen a conversation on FB between 2 celtic fans who sometimes come and watch the pars when they can , they said the pars fans were a disgrace today with their songs and let the club down.
Said the pars home fans would never come out with the stuff being chanted
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 07:39

Quote:

broontroot, Sun 18 Aug 06:37

Just seen a conversation on FB between 2 celtic fans who sometimes come and watch the pars when they can , they said the pars fans were a disgrace today with their songs and let the club down.

And there we have it, Celtic fans...guilty of nothing....outrages by everything.
Don't do irony and by and large thick indoctrinated morons.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 08:02

Let’s be honest. There was a fair mix of pars and sevco fans there yesterday.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Boston Red Sox  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 08:03

Quote:

broontroot, Sun 18 Aug 06:37

Or the realisation is that one of their own, Lennon, is way out his depth and there is a good chance they will get horsed by the Orcs this year so they need someone to be victimising them to make them feel better. You can’t condone banners claiming to be a “Fenian army” then complain when you are called a fenian. This however doesn’t make it right.

We have to also consider that football is cyclical. I have done and said things at the football that I would consider unacceptable now. Hopefully as they younger guys mature they will get it but I’m sure there will be a group of overexcited youngsters come at the back of them and the cycle begins again.

Same rules apply
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 08:12

Threads like these remind me of why I’m really starting to disconnect from football. It’s only a matter of time before singing is banned at football. I can’t imagine how some of you would cope if you went during the 70s and 80s.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 08:19

Sergio trying too hard to get a reaction.
I'm sure it was only a wee while ago that we were getting tarred with having green sympathies when in reality we are all just Pars fans.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 08:26

"The facts of this matter are simple - there can be no defence or justification for chanting of this nature."

Correct.

Given the regular criticism directed at Celtic and Rangers support (often justified) - some of our fans descend to that level and embarrass themselves and the club.

The pot and kettle comparison is spot on.

"Don't do irony and by and large thick indoctrinated morons."

A sweeping statement.

Coming from my background I know a whean of Celtic fans who are clearly neither thick, indoctrinated nor morons.

Doctors, dentists, lawyers, opticians, military personnel and police (senior officer) and teachers etc., as well as more "ordinary" fans, including relatives.

Post Edited (Sun 18 Aug 08:48)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 09:29

To much whataboutery on this thread for me...

Doesn't matter what anyone else does or has done, we are responsible for what we sing... and if some of us resorted to sectarian chants then they let ourselves and the team down.

Is a shame that in 2019 we're even having this conversation, let alone letting it take even one sparkle off what was a great performance on the pitch that hopefully catapults us into a great season!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 10:11

Hopefully the "fans" doing it will be dealt with. Not sure I'm getting all the fuss the Celtic support are making though. Half of them didn't bother turning up and the ones that did were hardly on their best behaviour. Perhaps it's a distraction from their team who struggled to beat a championship team and got pumped off a Romanian outfit.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 10:36

I couldn’t make the game but did hear the singing of Cheer up Neil Lennon. Was a tad surprised of our supporters as It was clearly audible. We need to root this out in football. There were many other songs to sing and I am not just being an old man on this. It is a cancer in our society like drunk driving was many years ago. It just isn’t acceptable and we need to educate society of right and wrongs clearly. Sorry for the rant. Apart from this I thought our supporters sounded great.

Post Edited (Sun 18 Aug 10:37)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 11:21

No mention of the hail of bookies pens etc that were being thrown all game by the Best Fans In The World (my erse)

I was hit on at least four occasions with objects thrown by Celtic fans

By the way it was nice to visit the worlds biggest library yesterday, the place would have been in silence if our fans were not there

We can’t really defend the naughty chants from our own support though

Post Edited (Sun 18 Aug 16:58)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mr D.A  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 12:16

Agreed with the majority of sentiment, the chanting from a section of the support yesterday was unnecessary and pretty unsavoury. However, the support that the crowd gave when singing supportive songs was first class.

I also accept that we can’t hold a moral high ground over the Old Firm when they bring their west coast crap to EEP, but while we can’t condone the chants relating to a highly unsavoury part of Celtic’s past, i don’t think our younger fans should be held to a higher standard than the fans of Celtic who sing equally abhorrent songs and chants every week.

Celtic fans offended or outraged by the songs should take a look around their own support before throwing stones at DAFC or indeed any other fans guilty of lowering themselves to their level.

The fact that this is a thread, shows that as a general fan base, we are surprised and disappointed by this, but it shouldn’t deflect from a terrific performance by our team and majority of support. And we certainly should’t be lectured or judged by a club with plenty of their own issues.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 15:55

Celtic fans giving the support yesterday absolute pelters. Always going to happen when there were at least 100-200 ‘Rangers’ fans there. Folk like that bigot who posted on here would most likely be involved . Poor show .
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 15:58

Quote:

Westies squint kicks, Sun 18 Aug 03:16

Pot kettle black ?

Are you being serious?

Week in week out they are out of order but if it’s directed at them it’s an outrage, hypocritical and precious from fans whose team have had a bad week.

I couldn't give a flying F**k what Celtic fans sing week in week out, I am more bothered about Dunfermline fans finding it ok to sing about paedophiles .

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 16:05

Not Dunfermline fans though is it ? If you are singing that nonsense at a game of football you are no longer a Dunfermline supporter in my book .
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 16:08

Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV like | nolike
Date: Sun 18 Aug 15:58

Quote:

Westies squint kicks, Sun 18 Aug 03:16

Pot kettle black ?

Are you being serious?

I couldn't give a flying F**k what Celtic fans sing week in week out, I am more bothered about Dunfermline fans finding it ok to sing about paedophiles .

I never said it was ok , what was said is that its a bit rich for Celtic fans to say Dunfermline fans were out of order, read the post instead of spouting whats in your head.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 16:13

I have read the posts and as far as I can see there are no Celtic fans complaining, only pars fans.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 16:32

MDCCCLXXXV wrote:

> I have read the posts and as far as I can see there are no
> Celtic fans complaining, only pars fans.
>
>

All of the clubs official posts on social media are littered with celtic fans complaining about our chants
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 16:39

?????

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 17:00

All the area we occupied at Celtic Park is littered by the things that were launched at us by Celtic fans

Is there any mention of that?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 17:03

This is just from one tweet there are dozens of similar messages, the hypocrisy is unbelievable, incredible how blinkered football fans can become that they criticise opposition fans for something their own fans have been guilty of for years.

Stephen Joseph
Replying to @officialdafc
Thirty one years ago this happened. Yesterday was an embarrassing day for your support. Call it out and allow the real fans to celebrate yesterday’s performance.

Rosy phin
Replying to @gregshields7 @officialdafc
What wasnt positive was the bile from your support. Apart from that yous were unlucky

Rosy phinn
You lot were disgusting today. Never thought I'd say that ever about dunfermline have a soft spot for them but not some of their supporters

Lizzy 🏴
Your fans were pretty disgusting from start to finish to be fair.

David Stewart 🖖🏻
‏@DavidWho33
Fans were different class? Constant chanting about child abuse with some sectarian stuff thrown in for good measure? Hope your tinpot team stays in the lower leagues where it belongs.

We agree on one thing, Dunfermline were excellent today and probably a little unlucky
However yiu fans were a fkn disgrace
Shameful

dee dee
‏@DerryDee67
Fans where scum. If your happy with “feni4n b45t4rd” and constant peado chants then you have major issues.

Keith Kirkwood
‏@keithk67
You’re not wrong with “different class”. Sadly it was the dregs of humanity class! Vile chanting for 90 minutes but if that’s what you like then crack on!

🍀TheSingingScarf! 🍀 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🍀 🇮🇪 🍀
‏@sharpybhoy7
You obviously couldnt make out what they sang? Or maybe you did #scumbags

Chris Armstrong
‏@ChrisArmstr0ng
Different class? 120 minutes of paedos and f3nian b4st4rds?oh aye different class. Even with the worst performance from a Celtic team in living memory your still where you belong. Bye bye now

Alba
‏@Asdash1888
Replying to @gregshields7
Knew you’d endorse the your fans disgusting chants

Post Edited (Sun 18 Aug 18:50)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 17:19

That is nowhere in the posts on dot net, there for I hadn't read it.

Are pars fans in the wrong singing such songs ??... 100% yes.

I am in no way agreeing with the bile that spews out from the stands at parkhead on a weekly basis. What I am saying is we don't have to lower ourselves to thier level.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 17:19

If ye don't censor that post (take out the swear words) It will be deleted.
Admin

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 17:30

Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV like | nolike Like: 1
Date: Sun 18 Aug 17:19

That is nowhere in the posts on dot net, there for I hadn't read it.

Are pars fans in the wrong singing such songs ??... 100% yes.

I am in no way agreeing with the bile that spews out from the stands at parkhead on a weekly basis. What I am saying is we don't have to lower ourselves to thier level.

No you accused me of being pi55ed and making a stupid statement when I suggested Celtic fans were akin to a case of pot kettle black.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 17:38

To which you replied "read the post before spouting whats in your head"

I can't read what isnt there.

I apologise if I offended you but I don't apologise for saying Pars fans were out of order with that chant.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jbob  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 17:56

Football "banter" has gone to far is a festering wart on the face of the game.

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 18:42

It’s the Celtic v Rangers love in soon, there will be much worse things spewed out by fans of both these sides in the stadium, in pubs around the country, people will be beaten up in their homes by their partners and perhaps a murder or two thrown in

It is by no means acceptable that our fans sing the songs that were evident yesterday however to read some of the comments above from the Celtic fans is a bit rich

Always offended yet never guilty of anything

As stated I am in now way condoning the naughty songs from our otherwise wonderful support yesterday
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 18:55

Posted from the Android app Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV like | nolike
Date: Sun 18 Aug 17:38

To which you replied "read the post before spouting whats in your head"

I can't read what isnt there.

I apologise if I offended you but I don't apologise for saying Pars fans were out of order with that chant.

Fair enough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 19:31

This is why I loved standing in the cage, both sets off fans singing about the other team and some off the songs were bad towards each other but that’s what happened.
Now in this world of social media pihs everyone gets offended. Oh you can’t say this and that...... I thought there was free speech?
Honestly the team were superb and someone come on and takes it away with a “bad taste” post. Get a grip!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 19:51

Only chant I heard was the "paedo" one. It's a pretty poor chant in the first place tbh. We don't need that sort of rubbish at our club. If you want to chant that kind of thing then go elsewhere.

Celtic playing the victim though...they're having a laugh.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 20:00

EEP, do you think it is ok sing about paedophiles?

If you think that's banter then that's up to you.

Do you agree with falkirk fans throwing rubber eyes on to the park your user name is named after??

Do you agree with Airdrie fans making gas noises after NM died??

If you answered yes to any of the above questions , it's you that needs to get a grip mate.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 20:17

I think banter is one thing but you have to be careful about your subject and context. Most people are far removed from the impact of peodophilia but it exists and affects many people throughout their lives.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 20:23

Nearly 24 hours since my original post and I've been surprised at some of the comments on what happened yesterday.
For me one of the best things about supporting Dunfermline is we don't have any of the baggage of some other clubs, we also have a reputation as an inclusive family club.
Yesterday should have been a day where we took the plaudits for a great support and a fantastic team effort yet here we are arguing and trying to justify sectarian chants and worse aimed at the home support, which included from where I sat a large number of women and children.
I don't care about how other teams supporters behave, it has nothing to do with us.
You set your own standards and yesterday a lot of our fans let themselves and more importantly the club down badly.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 20:33

I agree whole heartedly kozmnout

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 21:30

Honestly some folk are made of butter.
Yesterday was a great day and what a fantastic support and team.
So we have all the positives then a “bad taste” post gets put up with folk offended that doesn’t really effect them in their daily life’s?
I’m sure all will be forgotten by next Friday and look forward to the next game and we can moan about smokers in the EEP toilets again!

Post Edited (Sun 18 Aug 21:37)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hail2Crail  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 21:32

The big naughty people sang some words. Bad boys.

Post Edited (Sun 18 Aug 21:32)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 22:12

"So we have all the positives then a “bad taste” post gets put up with folk offended that doesn’t really effect them in their daily life’s?"

If it doesn't effect people why is it relevant or appropriate to make it the subject of fans' chanting at a football game ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 22:13

It’s 90mins of football there are songs sung by all types of fans all over the country every Saturday. I’m sure the club won’t get fined so what difference does it make.
“Fans chanting at a football game” what are you talking about?

Post Edited (Sun 18 Aug 22:17)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 22:32

The club won't get fined, that makes everything okay then.
Always wondered why the chairman had to put continued statements out regarding crowd behaviour, not any more.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 22:39

So this thread should be deleted as the OP was trying to cause a problem.
There has been no response from the club and Mr Chairman?
As I said let’s take the team display as a positive and the fans had a great day out!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 22:47

“Fans chanting at a football game” what are you talking about?

You are not seriously asking for an explanation ?

Which part is hard to follow?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 22:55

Aye go on then and see if I will be offended?
Put up what the fans singing? Honestly I won’t be offended by any bad sweary word you say!😅

Post Edited (Sun 18 Aug 22:56)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 23:12

It's fair to say those who are offended really aren't but it makes them sound important in this snowflake age of social media.

I will say though, and I say this to our young fans.
Find your own identity and don't lower yourselves facing Rangers and Celtic with predictable and childish chants.
Be yourselves, be the Pars and don't follow the sheep.

That's something I learned growing up as a Pars fan.
Dont be like the rest when you want to wind up the opposition.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 23:23

I just think we can surely make a visit to Celtic or Rangers and avoid any songs that are sectarian. We do it almost every other week, why drop to their level when we play them?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 23:31

Ha ha I say to all the snowflake fans.. god help you in the cage when there was an atmosphere at EEP. It’s 90mins of banter!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 23:37

I remember the cage well. Used to stand in it. Football and society has changed though. This isn’t about choosing to be offended, it’s about calling out sectarianism- something which I don’t want our club associated with in any way. I’m not offended, just disappointed that we had an element of fuds in our support yesterday who chose to indulge in sectarianism.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pibroch  
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 00:17

It works both ways ...I had stuff thrown at me and was called a specky baldy m****l b*****d on several occasions ...I had to laugh it off as I was with my laddie ....some of these guys are severely lacking in basic intelligence. Glad we don't go through there often.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 09:28

This has turned into a classic missing the point scenario - it's not primarily about being offended, it's having "convenient" contrary double standards to defend the indefensible.

Celtic and Rangers fans are regularly (with justification) denigrated here for their bile etc. - but it's somehow "OK" for our support to indulge in primary school level antics when it suits.

You can't have your cake and eat it.

I remember the cage as well incidentally, not sure how that is relevant in 2019.

Post Edited (Mon 19 Aug 09:29)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 09:55

Veteran, I agree wholeheartedly with your statement and how well said it is. If we want these discussions about Rangers and Celtic to stop someone has to take the lead, whether it be their supporters or not. It is a movement, a mindset change that is required and by digging up what was acceptable 20 years ago by bringing the cage up makes no sense. Let’s bring back slavery then if that is the way of arguing the case.
This is 2019, we need to lead by example. It is not about a snowflake generation. It is clearly about respect. We must lead by example and not be followers in these discussions or how will we ever proceed.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 10:17

Veteraneastender , you have put into words exactly what I was trying to say.

Thank you

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 13:15

Obviously the Glasgow Evening Times felt the same way as kosmanout,

THE SONGSHEET FROM THE DUNFERMLINE FANS WAS DISAPPOINTING

There were 1000 through from Fife, and good on them, but did we really need to hear stuff about "fenians", "singing in chapels" and "paedos"?
When did Dunfermline supporters start coming out with all of this garbage?

The same article praised the team but how could our fans descend to the level of the bigot brigade? Does us no credit.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 13:34

What proportion of Pars fans was participating in these chants? Unfortunately everyone gets tarred with the same brush and the club's reputation suffers.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 14:09

To be fair wee eck you could say exactly that about the bigot brothers

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 14:17

I wasn't suggesting otherwise, MDCCCLXXXV, or offering it as an excuse. All clubs suffer from the behaviour of a minority who don't seem to consider the consequences of their actions.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DRreturns  
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 14:17

Celtic had a banner claiming to be the “Fenian Army” the other week but when they’re named Fenians it’s now sectarianism? Some of the chants were distasteful but the reaction from people is ridiculous! To claim we may be fined is stupidity.

I’m here to take over!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 14:25

"Celtic had a banner claiming to be the “Fenian Army” the other week but when they’re named Fenians it’s now sectarianism? Some of the chants were distasteful but the reaction from people is ridiculous! To claim we may be fined is stupidity."

it's been mentioned before similar to the N***** word it's contemptuous to refer to someone using some phrases however within the cultural group it is a term of endearment to each other.

Adult with their own children using child abuse as "banter" is absolutely abhorrent.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 14:55

There's quite a difference between referring to a group of people as "fenian b******s" as opposed to simply "fenians."

It's similar to referring to someone of African origin as "black." They can hardly be offended by that if that is their skin colour. "Black b" on the other hand.....

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 15:08

The common usage of the word fenian by the Glasgow ned means, in their understanding, Roman Catholic. It is used as a slang and demeaning word and GG Riva is quite correct that it becomes far more offensive when it is said in a spirit of venomous hatred and accompanied by the word that in common usage means illegitimate. The converse is the word Proddy, which is probably less demeaning than the word fenian but this also can reach a higher level of offense when acommpanied by the B word. Best not to try and offend people, why not "seek to live peaceably with all" as a very good source of moral behaviour tries to teach us.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 15:21

No problem with Pars fans trying to wind-up opposition. Using a bit of 90 minute sectarianism to do so is a step too far though.

Many Pars fans were brought up Catholic and one of the joys of supporting the Pars is that you're all in it together regardless of race, creed or colour. I hate The Rangers as they like nothing better than singing about fenian blood any time they score a goal, regardless of the opposition.

I also hate Celtic as I got fairly sick of Celtic fans assuming you were really 'one of us' deep down, just because you went to a school with St at the start or were dragged to mass once a week.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I was in World War Two they'd call me spitfire

Post Edited (Mon 19 Aug 16:46)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: livipar2  
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 15:31

Spot on DA.

Mon the Pars!!!!!!!!!!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 15:50

Well said DA

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 16:02

Maybe the logic of the Pars fans who were singing was similar to "whistling Dixie" or "The battle hymn of the Republic " when the occasion demanded but as has been outlined above we have been dragged into the murky waters of religious bigotry and for the good of all in Scottish football and our own diverse mix of fans that is not a good place to go.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 16:29

"There were 1000 through from Fife, and good on them, but did we really need to hear stuff about "fenians", "singing in chapels" and "paedos"?"

Incidentally, a chapel is not uniquely RC.

It embraces other Christain faiths, and is very commonly used in Wales for non conformist denominations, and can also refer to Jewish places of worship, for example.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 16:57

I suspect, as others have also done, there was an element of Rangers fans in the away end, having purchased tickets from eep.

I realise it was a Cup game and something to get our teeth into (ty TB from the bottom of my heart) but at other away games I can usually identify a large number of our fans at a distance; the usual faces that kind of thing. Considering also many DAFC fans never go near Parkhead / Ibrox I was very surprised at the amount of people in attendance.

I’m not condoning any of the vile songs that I certainly heard - I mentioned it in the updates too - and truly hope they didn’t come from our actual fans. I hope I’m not being naive in that thought.

The other songs including Pars ones were absolutely brilliant.

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Aug 23:57

Certainly veteraneastender, a chapel is not necessarily the sole domain of a Roman Catholic but since my youth and even earlier (probably due to the ignorance of the average person with a "proddy" culture) it has been synominous with a Roman Catholic Church. The cockney rhyming slang for that of course is "pineapple". And here in Glasgow at least when a person was said to be going to the pineapple it was generally understood that the person was an RC.

Although very much a Fifer, who was brought up as a Protestant, we had a lovely Roman Catholic family next door to us when we lived in Cowdenbeath. I was brought up to respect all people of a different culture to mine. When I arrived in Glasgow at the age of 9, I obviously became more aware of the religious differences in Glasgow but I always felt completely remote from the bigotry but it didn't seem to enter into ordinary life, just in football and the regular orange walks that passed my front door.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 10:23

I had to look up the definition of chapel to be clear.

It covers other denominations and can be a inter faith facility as well, such as in hospitals, prisons and military garrisons etc.

Primarily associated with Christain worship it can (as said) encompass Jewish services.

You are correct of course in saying that it common usage in central Scotland it would be associated with Catholic practices.

It's a bit bemusing to think that some Pars fans would indulge in anti RC singing at Parkhead - the club has never had such a mindset.

I'm old enough to remember when the annual Saint Margaret's Pilgrimage service would be held within EEP.

Several Pars stalwarts of the past were "left footers" - including the '68 team.

Post Edited (Tue 20 Aug 10:23)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 10:57

so rangers fans bought tickets to go and watch Celtic at Celtic park from the Dunfermline end?

Is this because they cant by tickets to go to rangers games because all the chelsea fans buy them and start trouble and riot in the streets?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 11:55

The Methodists call their churches Chapels. Most of the small churches in Wales are called Chapels.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 11:56

Let’s not be naive and start blaming Rangers fans for our own problems - there was much to praise from Saturday but some of the chants were very disappointing and let’s not kid ourselves that they only came from a very small minority.

I have great memories of visiting Celtic Park over the years and thoughts of the final game in their Centenary Year when we had the famous banner and the jungle were all singing “you’ll be back” still brings a tear to my eye - my brother in law is a Celtic season ticket holder and he stills talks fondly of that day - he was at the game on Saturday with my nephew - he went from initially being really impressed at our support to being appalled at what we were singing (and he is no defender of his own support).

It seems to be that ever since John Sutton accused us of lying down to Rangers there has been a real shift in feelings between the 2 sides - hopefully Saturday will brings things to a head and we all give a bit more thought to what we’re singing and shouting - no need for us all to be “happy clappers” but let’s keep child abuse and religion out of football.

On a brighter note the football provided some real promise - let’s get behind the boys on Saturday and help drive them on to the first of many league victories for this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 12:03

Great post AJ27, but it was Chris Sutton not his brother John. And I wouldn't have been too hard on the guy. He has a tendency to speak too hastily at times and when he made the comments he was feeling pretty gutted about losing the league to Rangers.

Post Edited (Tue 20 Aug 12:08)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 12:05

Good spot 😩😩
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 13:38

I will never forget that day when we had the banner at Parkhead. The singing between the fans was brilliant, The Pars fans would sing, with the Celtic fans after us. It also brought back a super memory from 1989 when a group of us female Pars fans went to the Cyprus Scotland game over in Cyprus. We were in a Taverna one night and it was packed with Scotland Fans and everybody was singing then then a waiter came over with a bottle of Champagne for us . The waiter announced, Thees ees from thee Tic to thee Pars. It was from a wee Celtic couple across the room from us. Now how could you forget that.
It was the game where Richard Gough scored the nine minute overtime goal that took us to Italy 1990.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 14:11

Great taste from the weekend. If Celtic fans could actually be bothered I'm sure they'd have sang something back about us being "wee hun bas*ards" or something.

It's a persons choice to be offended by words.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 14:25

Good post 27

Toun clock I ain't a hun bas***d or a f*****n bas***d , I'm a pars fan and for the first time in years a not so proud pars fan.

We were outstanding on the pitch on Saturday, it's a shame it's people like yourself that take the shine of it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 15:17

Strange outlook toun clock that words are just words. Some words spoken at the wrong time or place could get people into big trouble. Who said the pen was mightier than the sword. The tongue also can be a powerful weapon and coming from the mouths of evil orators can lead to genocide. Words are not neutral they can have a powerful impact.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 15:43

I'm glad we're not "friendly" with Celtic tbh, why on earth would we want that?

Absolutely not interested in the banner, Celtic, along with Rangers are the most despicable club in this country **** wishing them happy birthday, they've literally ripped the absolute bottom out of every club in this country. And we wished them a happy birthday? Brutal.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 16:49

Totally different times.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 17:07

Aye, I bet they were great guys in the 80s.

https://images.app.goo.gl/cXZocTBEeQjKk2qa7

Ah right here they are absolutely disgracing the nation in 1980 having a sectarian fueled fight with Rangers in the national stadium.

I'd have tears in my eyes too about wishing them a happy birthday, tears of shame and embarrassment. That banner is the second biggest embarrassment in this clubs history behind administration.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 17:24

I find it utterly depressing that after one of the finest performances by a Pars team in recent years we should be spending the bulk of this week on a guilt-trip about the behaviour of some of our fans on Saturday.

Okay, it happened and it wasn't welcome, but surely enough is enough? All we are doing now is pandering to the outrage of those self-righteous Celtic fans who have absolutely no grounds to complain, given their far from exemplary record in this area.

The saddest thing is that Celtic and Rangers have never really been about football, fundamentally they are about hate. One lot is a shower of faux Irishmen that espouse a deep-seated hatred for all things British, while the other, under the guise of a Union flag, hate all things Catholic. Together, they are a cancer on Scottish society.

That said, shame on those in our support on Saturday who brought us collectively down to their level. This is not who we are.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 17:36

Quote:

Grant, Tue 20 Aug 17:07

Aye, I bet they were great guys in the 80s.

https://images.app.goo.gl/cXZocTBEeQjKk2qa7

Ah right here they are absolutely disgracing the nation in 1980 having a sectarian fueled fight with Rangers in the national stadium.

I'd have tears in my eyes too about wishing them a happy birthday, tears of shame and embarrassment. That banner is the second biggest embarrassment in this clubs history behind administration.

You're making a total @rse of yourself here Grant.
As was said, there was absolutely no animosity between us and Celtic in the second half of the 80's.
We had beaten them 4 times (twice away) and not once did we suffer any abuse from the Celtic fans afterwards unlike their ugly sisters over the city.
It was the last match of the season. We had just been relegated, Celtic were champions and our fans were determined not to be left out the occasion.
Jim Leishman came out to rapturous applause at the end from both sets of supporters.
I hope this puts things into better context for you.
Things turned more sour late 90's onwards but you're simply wrong to be having a go at thousands of away Pars supporters at Celtic Park that afternoon.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 18:03

I've no great love for any of the old firm , but I have had a few good away days at celtic park , sitting drinking in the pubs before and after games with opposition fans and having a bit banter , I cant say the same for sevco , where I've found them to be quite hostile .
The game at celtic park in 88 was a memorable day , we sat in Danny Macs pub pre game , enjoyed a fantastic atmosphere at the game and finished of the night at kilsyth Celtic supporters club.
Don't know what our fans were expecting or trying to achieve turning up at celtic park , waving union Jack's and singing about fenians , but make no mistake it was shameful and an embarrassment for our club and the decent minded fans that follow it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 18:27

Pars connection with Celtic started with the appointment of Jock Stein and deteriorated during the Jimmy Calderwood times culminating with the Sutton outburst.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 18:35

Still too much whataboutery... Don't give a **** what anyone else does or doesn't sing or how they act, only we control what we sing (and I hope this thread shows, you don't have to support celtic to be offended, ashamed or simply appalled at sectarianism or buy into the 90 minute bigot pihs!)

Anyway, think we've said all that needs to be said on this thread, so think we should just move on, look forward to the united game and hope that was a disappointing but one of episode.

Post Edited (Tue 20 Aug 18:36)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 18:59

It does kind of remind you when The (Old) Old Firm came to East End Park, our fans would quite happily sing the Sash to Celtic fans one week and the same fans sung Walk On to Rangers fans the following week

It was done to noise them up and get a reaction, this was in the pre cage days where the Terracing middle was the sacred ground which was never given up to anyone

These days are long gone now and the songs which were touted on Saturday are not really acceptable in modern society

There is no mention from the Celtic fans about the absolute eejits that frequent the section adjacent to where the away fans are housed and spend the entire game taunting the opposing fans largely ignored by the stewards

Also no mention of the hail of missiles which were launched in our direction all through the game and increasingly so as the match reached its conclusion

They are of course within their rights (and right to) complain about the bigoted chanting however they should examine their own fans behaviour before accusing others

Let’s move on now it’s yesterday’s news and today’s chip paper
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FA1968  
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 19:31

The chants may have been a bit low on the belt in this day in age however any rasper that stands up where the lad stood up goading pars fans is asking for "banter".

We were all young once and the youngsters in our support will move on to be replaced by more youngsters in a few years and we will have the same conversation then.

I say we all move along.

Post Edited (Tue 20 Aug 19:32)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 20:14

I'm well aware of the story AAPS, you've not put any new information or any spin on it I havent heard before, and the basics remain the same, a bunch of pars fans went to Celtic Park and pandered to them, I couldn't care less that our fans "Didn't want to be left out of the occasion" (What does that even mean?!?) and that we'd won a couple of times there, they are without a doubt in the top two biggest diseases of the game in this country. They are now and they were in the 80s, they were killing the game just as much now as they were then.

Anytime you see that picture posted online it's promptly followed by a ton of football fans taking the p*** quite rightly out of Dunfermline, A horrendously embarrassing in the clubs history thats often put along with the insinuation that Pars fans have a big team, absolutely brutal.

I'd rather wish Falkirk/Raith a happy birthday than that lot,
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 21:49

It’s Chris Suttons fault tbh.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 21:54

"I'd have tears in my eyes too about wishing them a happy birthday, tears of shame and embarrassment. That banner is the second biggest embarrassment in this clubs history behind administration."

That's genuinely hilarious.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 20 Aug 23:54

I actually think it's a shame some fans would rather sing vile songs and wind up the opposition fans rather than perhaps go to a few pubs round the local area before the match and have some banter with Celtic fans, who by and large are a friendly enough bunch. They are really missing out on what football is about.
I was at the final game of the season in 1988 and it was a great occasion. We were made really welcome in a social club near the ground and the atmosphere in the ground was tremendous. Both sets of fans had a mutual respect which endured until recent times. It's pretty sad that instead of people talking about how well our team played, people at work are asking me if Dunfermline now have a sectarian issue
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 07:21

Quote:

red-star-par, Tue 20 Aug 23:54

I actually think it's a shame some fans would rather sing vile songs and wind up the opposition fans rather than perhaps go to a few pubs round the local area before the match and have some banter with Celtic fans, who by and large are a friendly enough bunch. They are really missing out on what football is about.
I was at the final game of the season in 1988 and it was a great occasion. We were made really welcome in a social club near the ground and the atmosphere in the ground was tremendous. Both sets of fans had a mutual respect which endured until recent times. It's pretty sad that instead of people talking about how well our team played, people at work are asking me if Dunfermline now have a sectarian issue

I'm not sure the Celtic fans that waited outside the ground for us as we left were a friendly enough bunch ,and as we walked along London road we had a police escort as we passed by the Celtic supporters club ,the folk standing outside the club looked none to friendly either

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: oapar  
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 08:22

This is going nowhere, Stevie is trying so hard to unite fans and club again, why can't fans try to show a united front. Please close this thread that does nothing to help our club's image.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 08:44

The thread should have been binned by now. A few lager louts that haven’t been to a pars game in years organise a wee day out to Parkhead and start singing nonsense? Get it in the sea.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 09:58

Aye...bin it

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 10:02

That's three folk wanting the thread binned... Any more?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 10:11

Aye get it to France

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 10:24

Aye
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 10:39

yup
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 11:38

Onward and upward Dundee United next up COYP.!!!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 12:03

aye we dont like we are sectarian so close the thread, ignore it and move on to next game

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 12:50

Aye this thread has overstayed it's welcome
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 13:03

Yes for closing
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: petrie_pants  
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 13:11

The second best thing to come out of Saturday, after our performance, was that it seems to have shattered any kind of relationship with Celtic fans.
The whole 'happy birthday' banner thing has to be one of our most shameful episodes as a group of supporters.
Imagine going across there and crawling up their backsides like that.
And we have the nerve to call certain others a 'wee team'.
How much more 'wee' in terms of mentality can you get?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 13:36

Quote:

petrie_pants, Wed 21 Aug 13:11

The second best thing to come out of Saturday, after our performance, was that it seems to have shattered any kind of relationship with Celtic fans.
The whole 'happy birthday' banner thing has to be one of our most shameful episodes as a group of supporters.
Imagine going across there and crawling up their backsides like that.
And we have the nerve to call certain others a 'wee team'.
How much more 'wee' in terms of mentality can you get?

Posts like this is the reason that this thread shouldn't be shut down and swept under the carpet.
Its unbelievable that some so called fans think its more shameful to go to a game with a happy birthday banner and to mix with opposition fans than it is to spout religious bile and paedophilia chants over a period of 2 hours

Hopefully they can have a deep hard think about it at playtime at school today and realise the shame they have brought to our club
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 13:58

Absolutely Broontroot. I better not add too that as I am fuming at some of these posts.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 14:05

Probably 50% of the posters were not there at the happy birthday game .I for one was and it was one of the best atmosphere games i have been too.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 15:07

"Posts like this is the reason that this thread shouldn't be shut down and swept under the carpet.
Its unbelievable that some so called fans think its more shameful to go to a game with a happy birthday banner and to mix with opposition fans than it is to spout religious bile and paedophilia chants over a period of 2 hours"

When did I say it was 'more shameful' than some of the chants at the weekend?
For the record, I don't.
It's a different situation entirely.

Taking a banner to suck up with one half of the Old Firm and all that comes with sections of their gruesome support completely turns my stomach.
Appalling behaviour for those supporters at that time.
God only knows what was going through their head, playing up to them in that way.
Could you have seen them doing likewise to clubs like ours who they look down to like something they've trodden on?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 15:31

If it's any consolation, I am sure the teenage chastity choir also known as the "Green Brigade" are equally aghast that their support kept on singing "You'll Be Back" at the Huns of Dunfermline in a game over 31 years ago.

You could maybe find some common ground with them?

Post Edited (Wed 21 Aug 15:33)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 16:11

Peteie_pants .
Were you actually there or still in kindergarden .
FFS you need to get the hatred out your system .
That game the celric fans were chanting to our support all through the game encouragement and we would be back .
They sang the praises of our manager .
As i said i was one of the many there travelling with the brucefield bus and it was a party atmosphere from the time we lwft the town to the time we got back .
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 16:39

I enjoyed the company of St. Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, Celtic, Rangers, Berwick Rangers, Clyde, Partick Thistle, etc. supporters prior to games.
I even shared a table with Rangers supporters before our cup hammering with my daughter. I have been in a bear pit Rangers supporters pub before a game enjoying drinks and talking of the common game of football.
I really despair at some of the comments here and how polarised some people are in relation to football.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SusieQ  
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 17:08

The game at Celtic Park was one of my first away games and I loved the occasion even though we were beaten.

As others have said - it was a completely different time. The "Old Firm" dominance hadn't kicked in yet as Aberdeen and Dundee United were regularly giving them a run for their money.

There was no bad feeling between our teams or supports at the time and although we had already been relegated, it was still a party atmosphere.

We had gone from the Second Division to the Premier in successive seasons too so maybe there wasnt the sense of entitlement to the top tier that some sections of our support seem to have nowadays.

It would never happen now for various reasons.

I wasn't there on Saturday as I refuse nowadays to give either side a penny but anyone indulging in sectarian chants etc should be ashamed - not those of us who enjoyed a party atmosphere 31 years ago!

Proud sponsor of Callum Smith's home shirt

COME ON YE PARS!

Post Edited (Wed 21 Aug 17:16)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 17:22

Best post of the thread Q. 👏👏

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 18:07

Spot on Susie. Some right blinkers on with here with some who can't see the difference between historic times and the present day.
As you say, we were a brand new team to the Premier League after years and years in the doldrums and there was a healthy sense of enthusiasm with our supporters back then and no sense of entitlement.
Celtic and Rangers were not so dominant back then and given Jock Stein had passed away just a couple of years before, there was that connection of mutual respect for a few short years in the 80's.

That is proper perspective instead of silly revisionism's from people who probably weren't around then or just biased for whatever reason.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 18:29

"I have been in a bear pit Rangers supporters pub before a game enjoying drinks and talking of the common game of football."

Before being the key word.

You wouldn't have wanted to go there afterwards if we'd have won, or even drawn.

My mate and I were at Ibrox January 1984 when the late Rab Stewart had us 1 up with ten minutes to play in a cup tie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sRASwcly_Q

To say the bears were getting restless is a mega understatement - we were on the verge of bailing out when McAdam equalised before McCoist got the winner.

Never felt so uncomfortable in nearly 60 years of Pars watching.

Post Edited (Wed 21 Aug 20:04)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 19:31

Before Glasgow Rangers ceased I was told that I would get Hospitality at Ibrox courtesy of Stirling Audi. The St Johnstone supporting salesperson instructed me that I couldn't celebrate if Dunfermline scored as I would get dealt with by the rich thugs in Hospitality. I wouldn't trust any bigot brothers fans when they've got drink in them. PS I never got Hospitality from them but I've had several free games at St Mirren courtesy of Infiniti.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 01:35

Some whataboutery going on with regards to that event, great to see we've moved on from "Not wanting to be left out" (wtf?) to now apparently there's a sense of entitlement from this fanbase which has seen the club nearly die within the last decade as well as spending the most time in the third tier since the 80s, yeah, right. And I'm sure the support just had bundles more enthusiasm for the club than the supporters nowadays.

I like the attempt to portray Celtic as not being bad guys in the late 80s aswell, it must have only been in the 90s they turned into a bunch of sectarian, scummy naughty word eh? And oh they sang to us! It's almost like they were winning the title and giving the plucky little underdogs a thumping, such gracious sports. I'm sure they'd be delighted to have a club back who's support had rocked up, rolled over and asked for there collective bellys/egos to be tickled.

Imagine having a connection to Celtic, imagine actively chasing it and wanting it, horrendous.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 08:57

Spot on Grant.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 11:44

Imagine having a connection to Celtic, imagine actively chasing it and wanting it, horrendous.

Imagine turning up at celtic park emulating Rangers , waving union Jacks and spewing religious bile , imaging we were that bad we are now being called hunfermline by some .......HORRENDOUS !!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 13:12

We didn't fly union Jack's though?

They can call us "hunfermline" a they want, you can point to our last set of fixtures there where "Rangers Died and the Pars Survived" was given laldy, it's evidently clear that we have no affiliation to either of the old firm, thankfully.

With that horrendous banner that wasn't clear.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 13:17

What horrendous banner are you referring too?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 13:42

"we are now being called hunfermline by some"

That's nothing new, Cellic fans have called us that for years....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 14:36

Quote:

Grant, Thu 22 Aug 13:12

We didn't fly union Jack's though?

They can call us "hunfermline" a they want, you can point to our last set of fixtures there where "Rangers Died and the Pars Survived" was given laldy, it's evidently clear that we have no affiliation to either of the old firm, thankfully.

With that horrendous banner that wasn't, clear.

Perhaps not red white and blue union jacks, but black and white ones were there , and there for a purpose .
Although we don't have any affiliation with either Celtic or rangers we don't have to emulate them , it's not big and it's not clever
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 15:00

Union "Jack's"???
Was there Royal Navy Warships at the game???

Pedantic I know... But I'm bored 😏

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 15:36

"black and white ones were there"

So it's not a union jack then is it? By your logic this is a France flag.

By your logic this is also a French flag.

Colours are absolutely integral to a flag, change one and its no longer the flag it once was, what you seen at Parkhead was a Dunfermline flag, and I'd rather a thousand of them than one happy birthday banner. The fact that you apparently can't fly the glag of the United Kingdom at that ground is another reason why its a nonsense some fans thought that it was a fanbase that we'd want to align ourselves too.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 15:38

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/436835/It-s-official-We-can-call-our-flag-the-Union-Jack/amp

In this instance a wrong pendant widtink ;) We've all been there.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 16:12

Can't believe this thread is still going on...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 16:14

Quote:

Grant, Thu 22 Aug 15:38

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/436835/It-s-official-We-can-call-our-flag-the-Union-Jack/amp

In this instance a wrong pendant widtink ;) We've all been there.

Fixed the link as I couldn't get it to work.
I stand corrected on the whole Jack/Flag shenanigans. Thank you kindly.
Every day's a school day 🤣

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 17:12

I thought at the time that is was Beado being sung this video appears to back it up. It also capture the Cheer Up song, which I think is more a dig at Lennon than a slight on the catholic race.
We had a brilliant support that day appreciated by the players and a lot of celtic fans, its a time to be proud to be a Par, I know I am and am still buzzing from Saturday a feeling I've not had for a good few years. Roll on Saturday and another brilliant support that will be right behind the team.
As for the black and white flag, that is the casuals flag that is seen at most games, its common for such groups to have one in their teams colours, Hibs even have one so not pro union or anti celtic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGxhIv4yhb0
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 17:28

What is "the catholic race" exactly ?

The 800 metres around the Vatican by local clergy ?

:-)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 17:34

Quote:

veteraneastender, Thu 22 Aug 17:28

What is "the catholic race" exactly ?

The 800 metres around the Vatican by local clergy ?

:-)

Ha ha .good one mate
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 18:16

We should be flying the Cornish flag or St Pirans flag to be more accurate.

matt forsyth

Post Edited (Thu 22 Aug 18:18)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 08:40

“but black and white ones were there , and there for a purpose”
The big union flag with Dunfermline printed across it is mine. We had the smaller one at st Mirren and at QOTS last week... what was the purpose there? If it was a saltire nobody would bat an eyelid.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 09:38

Quote:

Bamba-Daft, Sat 24 Aug 08:40

The big union flag with Dunfermline printed across it is mine. We had the smaller one at st Mirren and at QOTS last week... what was the purpose there? If it was a saltire nobody would bat an eyelid.

The big one looked quite smart tbh
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 10:32

Quote:

Bamba-Daft, Sat 24 Aug 08:40

I suppose its context... Union flag in club colours with dunfermline on it engulfed with c'mon ye pars - no problem

Same Union flag but this time married with sectarian chanting (tunes exclusively sung by the same 'side' that waves the Union flag as part of their identity)... then you can clearly see how it can give out a different impression and take on a different meaning.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 11:25

Why should we pander to any side of Scotlands disgrace, who draw fans for other local teams all over Scotland and identity is based purely on sectarianism.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 11:42

Quote:

Par, Sat 24 Aug 11:25

Why should we pander to any side of Scotlands disgrace, who draw fans for other local teams all over Scotland and identity is based purely on sectarianism.

Par you are correct in saying we shouldn't pander to either side of the bigot brothers, but we cant go and sing songs based on sectarianism just to wind them up either

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 11:46

I have to say that I find the Union Flag distasteful as I don’t see the relevance, also as a Scot who favours independence it is not a flag which I would favour in any case

Just my opinion and I suppose that there is no real harm in it
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 12:02

The union flag looks excellent. Don't get the fuss about it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 12:09

Don't mind the flag per se, but IMHO a union flag has no place in football... We play in a Scottish league, or game is administered by a Scottish association and the national team is Scotland (or England, Wales, NI). No such thing as British in fitba for me
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 12:27

I remember watching the Blue Jays in Toronto. The stadium holds around 55,000 people. Barely heard a swear word. I don't recall seeing Canadian flags but there were folks with Blue Jays flags/banners. It was a proper social evening. Loads of food on offer and just a really nice atmosphere.

Why is it that in Scotland we have to sing racist, sectarian or offensive songs? Why do we have to wave national flags? Why are people unable to be trusted with having a couple of beers during the game?

Ask yourself - are we really so pathetic as a nation that we can't act like normal human beings whilst sat in a football stadium? There's showing passion and there's being a d***.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 14:21

Quote:

DBP, Sat 24 Aug 12:09

Don't mind the flag per se, but IMHO a union flag has no place in football... We play in a Scottish league, or game is administered by a Scottish association and the national team is Scotland (or England, Wales, NI). No such thing as British in fitba for me

I agree with this, I find the union flag very distasteful and don't like to see it associated with our club. It's the flag of hatred and oppression- "The Butcher's Apron"
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: