DAFC.net
Home 23 September 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 History of bad luck in games against Celtic
Topic Originator: Alan  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 06:47

Over the years Celtic have a history of beating us in the most sickening and cruel manner.

I remember going to Parkhead around the early 70's for a Scottish cup game and we scored after an hour through, I think, Jim Gillespie to go 1-0 ahead only for Celtic to score 2 goals in the last 10 minutes to win the game 2-1.

Then there is the 2004 Cup Final. 1-0 up at half time and denied a blatant penalty early in the second half for the opportunity to go 2-0 ahead, only for Celtic to race up the park and equalise.

The team played quite well in the 2007 Cup Final and were 5 minutes away from extra time when Celtic scored a scrappy late winner.

Yesterday was another cruel defeat. The players deserved to take the game to penalties after their efforts and to lose to a deflected goal with only a few minutes to go, was hard to take.

We just never seem to get any luck against Celtic
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: History of bad luck in games against Celtic
Topic Originator: pars_andy  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 07:22

Not meaning to detract from the performance in any way but Celtic understandably dominated possession in yesterday’s game. The more that happens, the more shots that are fired at your goals, the higher the chances of an unlucky deflection, a dodgy decision or whatever. It’s kind of what I understand from the phrase, “you make your own luck”

==================================
"However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." - Stanley Kubrick
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 08:30

"I remember going to Parkhead around the early 70's for a Scottish cup game and we scored after an hour through, I think, Jim Gillespie to go 1-0 ahead only for Celtic to score 2 goals in the last 10 minutes to win the game 2-1."

The bad luck that day was more down to Jim Markey at left back - gifting the ball to Kenny Dalglish who equalised.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 08:52

Celtic and the old Rangers were generally fitter than the other teams in the 60s and won a lot of games in the dying minutes.

Post Edited (Sun 18 Aug 08:53)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 09:23

I have often wondered if that is due to more coaching staff. If you have 1 coach for the whole team it's probably easier for a player to give a bit less than 100%.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 10:04

I understand where the OP is coming from. We’ve come close a few times in games against Celtic - few more dispiriting than 2004 & 2007. That said, an awful lot of other Scottish clubs will measure their good days against both Celtic and Sevco in terms of ‘we ran them close that day’. We very, very seldom win against them but I’m certain we’re not unique in this.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Sun 18 Aug 10:31

First time I went to Celtic park was 73/74 I think. We lost two one and they scored with the last kick of the ball. I was only a wee boy and remember being gutted. The game where Lambert dived at East end was also a sickener and we were really unlucky that night.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sonofpetrie  
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 18:07

Does anyone remember Ross Jack's overhead kick the Pat Bonner scraped off the line? It always feels like they get the luck. I recall going to school the next day (in Kirkcaldy) after years of being a lower league team we were finally up there with the big boys and we should have won that day but didn't. Getting it tight from all the Tims in my class. When it does work out and we do get the odd result it makes it all the sweeter.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 19:33

I used to have a photo of Larson jumping on Skerla's shoulders. The cheat scored.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 19:37

One of my favourite referees was Willie Young - ironically though he gave 2 of the worst decisions against us that I can remember, the Lambert dive being one of them - incredibly Lambert defended his dive by claiming he thought he’d felt a touch.

The other was when he sent off Stevie Crawford at Dens, Speroni going down clutching his face claiming he’d been punched when Stevie didn’t touch him - Sky though showed it from 2 angles - from the one Willie Young would have seen it from you would have sworn Stevie had indeed punched him - at the time I blamed the referee but after seeing the TV pictures the blame clearly lay with the cheating histrionics of Speroni.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 20:13

Willie Young was a competent referee, a lawyer by trade if memory serves.

Quite a few officials of that era were from the professions - Andrew Waddell was a pathologist I believe .........bet that raised a few comments form players and fans etc. !!!

Ian Cathcart was a GP in Bridge of Allan - he was demoted to Grade 3 eventually.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 21 Aug 23:09

There's been good luck too.

For me, our greatest result ever was outplaying and beating Celtic at Parkhead in 1968. Roy Barry was a colossus, as we lost Jim Fraser to a broken leg and had to re-jig our defence. However Celtic scored a good goal which was ruled out on a technicality and kept the score at 0-0 at that time. The shot was from around 20 yards and the Celtic attacker was marginally offside, probably not interfering with play.

sammer

Post Edited (Wed 21 Aug 23:10)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 00:52

Anton Rogan at eep. A slice of good luck :-)
Again we went after them and made our luck.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 15:21

"However Celtic scored a good goal which was ruled out on a technicality and kept the score at 0-0 at that time."

I was going to mention that one Sammer, we certainly got the rub of the green (so to speak) not long before half time - the late Jim Brogan hit it from well out, however Willie Wallace had strayed into an offside position.

Nowadays the goal would have been awarded.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 16:28

Was it 'good luck' if a goal was ruled out according to how the offside law was interpreted at that time?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 17:22

Was a good outcome for us, regardless of semantics.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 17:38

Goals were ruled out every week in those days for players being in offside positions even if they weren't interfering with play. Somebody posted Jim Craig's account of that match as a spectator (he was injured) recently and I don't think he even mentioned Brogan's 'goal'. It wasn't even contentious at the time.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 22:01

Maybe Jim Craig’s recollection not as precise as Sammer and myself ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Aug 22:18

Maybe he accepted that the offside law as interpreted then was correctly applied
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Aug 08:33

Maybe the referee, Bobby Davidson of Airdrie, was a closet Hun ?

Celtic fans, if I mind right, were of that persuasion !!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Aug 08:58

I doubt Celtic fans do the amount of soul-searching some Pars' fans seem to like to do after a good result. Would they bother if the opposition had a goal disallowed for a 'technicality' or weren't at full strength? I was at the game and I don't remember coming away thinking we were lucky.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Aug 10:24

We were not lucky in losing Jim Fraser - mind you, Ian Hunter's substitution led to the first goal.

John McGarty must (?) be the only player to win a Scottish Cup medal without having made an appearance in a competitive match at home for his club.

The only searching I did leaving Parkhead was to remember where we were parked !!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Fri 23 Aug 10:28

"Maybe the referee, Bobby Davidson of Airdrie, was a closet Hun ?

Celtic fans, if I mind right, were of that persuasion !!!"

Celtic fans think that of every referee.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Fri 23 Aug 14:50

Quote:

veteraneastender, Fri 23 Aug 10:24

We were not lucky in losing Jim Fraser - mind you, Ian Hunter's substitution led to the first goal.

John McGarty must (?) be the only player to win a Scottish Cup medal without having made an appearance in a competitive match at home for his club.

The only searching I did leaving Parkhead was to remember where we were parked !!!

Was it the cup tie that Fraser broke his leg. I thought it was a different game at park head.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 23 Aug 18:36

John McGarty had only played two league matches before he turned out in the 1968 Cup Final but Aberdeen’s Arthur Graham can beat that. The flying winger had only started one full match before he picked up a Cup Winners medal in 1970, part of the Dons team which beat Celtic 3-1 in the final and sparked off another round of controversy regarding referee Bobby Davidson.

Graham’s other match had been as a substitute against the Pars at Pittodrie a couple of weeks before the final. So he did actually play in front of his home crowd before picking up his medal.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Aug 19:52

"Was it the cup tie that Fraser broke his leg. I thought it was a different game at park head."

It was the 2-0 cup win at Celtic Park, Jan.1968 - Bertie Auld was the perpetrator, and was (amazingly) only booked.

There was no fracture.

Sammer, thanks for that bit on Arthur Graham.

I went to that cup final with my pal, Harry Melrose played for Aberdeen that day if memory serves.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: