DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The Midfield Two
Topic Originator: RossDAFC  
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 17:47

Today reminded me of Shiels and Wedderburn playing together. Paton needs the protection of a third midfielder, Beadling should have been nowhere near the pitch with how tired he looked. We’ve known for a while how long Joe Thompson is out for and having 17 year old Matty Todd as third choice isn’t fair. We NEED to address this position until Thompson returns. Yes i’m aware Turner is here but he is more of a number 10 and it’s his first full time season. Personally think a loan for Ross Callachan until January is both feasible and beneficial but literally anyone who has an engine would be welcome at this stage
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The Midfield Two
Topic Originator: Mainstand83  
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 17:49

Problem was Paton was practically playing as centre half , Beadling had to cover two players plus there wingers cutting inside
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 17:55

Beadling did absolutely nothing today. Didn't chase down players, didn't help out in the defence or getting it forward. Should have been hooked at half time
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 18:10

Yes, Paton is playing the wedderburn role. Sitting so deep whoever else is in the middle gets left exposed and we invite them onto us.

Hooked for who Andrew? We have no bench! Ryan was murder and Nesbit half fit and no1 to bring on who has played more than a handful of games.

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 18:14

They weren't helped by the winger strolling around doing the square root. The change at half time was the correct one, it allowed us to get a foothold in the game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alan  
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 18:19

Lewis McCann looked good when he came on and really got stuck in. Thought he was really unlucky to be dropped after his recent performance against Dundee, and deserves a run in the team. Also, does anyone know what the situation is with Lang. Not even on the bench today
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 18:23

The other issue is Dow and Coley are wingers, not wide mids. Need to play 4-3-3, drop Andy Ryan and bring in another senior midfielder. We have 3 loans left to use so i’m surprised we’ve not looked to use them to cover the first team.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 18:26

we have 4 loans left, that number is for Scottish loans.
Lang not on the bench cause Devine is ahead of him.

said with Murray's injury and Morrison back at centre half albeit out of his depth today, another centre midfielder would be handy to have now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 19:49

Saw lang sitting in main stand.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JimMcDAFC  
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 19:50

The midfield was non existent today in the first half. Time and again the defenders were winning headers but no one in midfield challenging for second ball, it seems like players cannot handle getting the praises for last week and maybe believe they are better than they are. Certainly not doing the dirty work today. I would be surprised if Coley broke sweat in the first half and Nisbett waiting for the ball to come to him most of the game gave United defenders easy afternoon. Turner and McCann improved team second half but team going to have to get back to the way they were playing in the earlier games and be prepared to do the hard work of winning the ball first and then start playing the football cos the bunnets team will have that in spades.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 20:43

We played and sat far to deep. Went for it against Celtic and nothing today.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 20:51

Quote:

EEP, Sat 24 Aug 20:43

We played and sat far to deep. Went for it against Celtic and nothing today.

Yes, that's exactly the impression I got from the last two games.

🙄
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 21:04

Would have to disagree massively, we had a great defensive shape v Celtic, should have lined up the same today. Instead we played most of our attacking options from the start which baffles me. Dropping Edwards is again baffling. Tactics wrong, players tired - time to move on
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 21:08

Well beaten by the better team today, full of praise for team last week and couldn't pick a Mom. Today the team didnt play well and I couldn't blame anyone. Just A bad performance....$h!t happens

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 21:09

Comrie got pass marks for me, as did Turner
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 21:15

How is Turner more of a number ten? He was playing as a conventional box to box midfielder for Stranraer in league 1,hes more physical than say Falkingham and he coped.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 21:39

Quote:

Grant, Sat 24 Aug 21:15

How is Turner more of a number ten? He was playing as a conventional box to box midfielder for Stranraer in league 1,hes more physical than say Falkingham and he coped.

He isnt playing in league one now.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Aug 22:12

Doesn’t look like a player that can go box to box, he’s fairly slow and not got an engine. However he looks like a technically great player that can dribble and find the final balls etc. Luckily he’s gritty as opposed to being a luxury player so could be a main fixture once he settles fully
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 8 Sep 16:14

Once again yesterday we were unable to gain control in the midfield and I think yesterday's shortcomings can be summed up pretty easily:

The midfield 3 acted more like a two with Turner pushing further up and playing in behind Mcgill. For the first 30 minutes or so it worked quite well - Turner getting an assist.

After the equaliser though we fell apart. Turner stopped tracking back as much which I think could be attributed to the fact he's not been afforded enough full 90 minutes. Paton on the other hand decided that he fancied dropping deep again which inevitably led to him punting it long more so than playing out from the back.

Turner being up one end and Paton the other left Beadling far too stretched in the middle - which didn't help considering he didn't have his best individual game either. The issue now is Paton being captain means he's not going to be dropped when form dictates he probably should.

Not sure where we go from here in terms of this issue with Thomson being out until November roughly. Cochrane surely deserves a chance against ICT - looked about the only player at Arbroath that wanted to get the ball down, carry the ball and play which I think we really need at the moment.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sun 8 Sep 22:53

Beadling has gone from being a marquee signing to being utterly woeful recently
mainly due to the ineffective Paton falling deeper and deeper every week

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sun 8 Sep 23:07

Why the fek do we need Paton dropping back to receive the ball does my nut in.
It’s a shambles and Crawford better get his head in gear to get the team going.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: preston par  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 09:43

If we can't trust our centre backs to bring the ball out and make a simple pass to a fullback etc. then they shouldn't be playing. Not only is Paton coming too far back and doing the centre backs job, he is also leaving our other centre mid alone in the middle.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gaz3822  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 09:55

Crawford wants Paton to do that, its obvious.
What also is obvious is that it doesn't work. It puts us on the back foot right away. I thought even during the Albion Rovers game that when Paton and Ashcroft come up against strong quick players in their respective positions, they'll struggle because of lack of pace and lack of ideas.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 13:17

Think Murray has similar traits to Morris and can probably compliment Ashcroft quite well but Ashcroft really needs to step up and be counted. As for Paton, with his experience he should know that trying to bring the ball out from the back is stretching the midfield too thin and surely has to address this quickly. Murray and Thomson will be welcome additions once fit.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: