DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Youth
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 17:11

In all seriousness, why are we playing young players who couldn’t get near our team last season yet are now expected to go get us results in the championship?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Youth
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 17:14

What young players are they?

Literally the only youth player you could apply that logic to is McCann.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 17:20

Young players that make up our squad? McCann, Morrison, Todd, Gill. Even players like Paul Allan are expected to be apart of the squad yet couldn’t get anywhere near our squad last season? Terrible decision to go down this route
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Scrimmers249  
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 17:25

problem is we handed 2 year deals out to most of these guys like confetti and paid compensation for some. we are stuck with these guys. long season in store. Its ok to go down the youth route but you need to support it with experienced players.... that is the part we are missing
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 17:28

What a load of nonsense. Todd played with the first team last season and can’t get a look in now. Many who watched the reserves knew McCann was a standout there and he is now getting the odd appearance, a standard progression for a young player at any club. There genuinely isn’t a single player in the squad that wasn’t good enough last year and is now playing on a regular basis. McCann has what, 2 appearances?

Your argument is also based on the logic that young players will never improve. Abraham wasn’t good enough for Chelsea last season and now has 4 goals in his last 2 games. Younger players progress and older players deteriorate.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 17:31

It was only a fortnight ago we had a great group of lads and they could only get better the longer they play together.
Any one who thought we were going to challenge for the league this season were living in hope
Majority of pars fans knew it was going to be a long hard season, yes there will be a few great performances and great results over the season but it will be a difficult season.
Strap in guys it will be emotional

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 17:32

Abraham scoring against championship teams last season where he was playing?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 17:33

Your right scrimmers, you need your experienced pros to be good enough and that’s the problem. We signed Paton who offered zip in the worst team in the league last season and he’s now making wedderburn look like a box to box midfielder.

Another 2 young inexperienced players from hearts, just what we need!

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 17:39

Going with youth is fine in principle, we need to nurture some of these players and hope we can sell two or three and make some money.

However I am worried that we have decided to build a squad that has a reliance on the younger players.

Losing becomes a habit and these young lads might find it difficult to pick themselves up.

I was astonished tbh that we signed the two Hearts lads on loan.

We desperately needed a couple more experience players at this level.

Defensively we are ok numbers wise and experience wise, but take Paton and Dow out of that midfield we have almost no experience.

We should have brought in a couple of journey men imo. I know it would not of excited anyone but who are we kidding?

It is amazing how a 6-0 thumping of Albion Rovers and a win against St Mirren in what was effectively a pre season game can almost convince you that we are going to have a good season.

Guilty as charged, I thought hey this might be a good season.

Before a ball was kicked I said that if we finished 8th I would be happy.

I bet most of us would take that right now.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 17:40

“Abraham scoring against championship teams last season where he was playing?”

And why was he playing there? Because he was deemed not good enough to play for Chelsea last season. Same with Mason Mount, who is doing well for Chelsea this season. Every single player that comes through a youth setup has a breakthrough season. The season before that, they weren’t good enough to get into the team (using your logic).

Should we just completely scrap any sort of youth setup? Obviously, if they’re not good enough to play in the first team at 17, they should never be given a chance. That’s the ridiculous argument you seem to be putting forward.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 17:45

Despite disagreeing with the point the OP is making, we need more experience in the squad and we need experienced players capable of making a difference. No issue with the route of trying to bring in younger players that can progress, however a team full of inexperienced youngsters will always struggle.

Without Dow, our only experienced attacker, we looked totally lost going forward today. That’s concerning. Getting the right experienced players in would also help with the progression of the younger players. Stick with a team of youngsters that struggle, as they have done the last 2 weeks, will hinder their progression - which is the opposite of what we have said we’re trying to do.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 18:47

You know it’s bad when you aren’t surprised by the result, I had Arbroath as favourites going into that game which is incredible to think.

Said from the start that there is no middle ground with youth, it’s either going to work wonders or be catastrophic.

I’m not writing them off yet but they need to get physical, up the tempo and get themselves about a bit.

I was defensive of Scully when we signed him, nostalgia maybe as he was great with us first time round, but I acknowledge I was wrong, he isn’t cutting the mustard at all.

We’ve made our bed by offering all these two year contracts out which was always a high risk strategy so if it goes sour how do we move forward?

Going to have to trust that it works in the long term, Crawfords here to stay, board wouldn’t have let him do this if there was a chance of him going.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 18:49

Wonderful fans
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 19:28

"Getting the right experienced players in would also help with the progression of the younger players"

which is true if they are available and within budget but there is a real lack of numbers of those players around, every team is in the same boat.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 20:43

I think that it is still to early make judgements. It was always going to be the case that the younger players will need time to develop. Many have come here for first team football. Perhaps the biggest lesson for younger players is that you have to perform every week. You really do have to stand up and be counted in every game. Most sports it is primarily about mental attitude over physicaI ability. The best in any sport have the right mental approach. You have to develop that in younger players. I am sure that the players we have signed and their stated desire to succeed they will do that. It will take a little time for sure. Every performance is a learning experience. Perhaps a steep learning curve over the last few games. For the young players it is important for the supporters to get behind them and encourage them. It is going to be a tough season, but I am confident we will improve. No magic wand, just hard work an application.

Post Edited (Sat 31 Aug 22:35)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 23:25

Is our squad even that young ? That one gets chucked about without any real evidence. We’ve hardly got a squad of teenagers
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 23:27

Perhaps a more accurate description is lack of first team football experience
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sat 31 Aug 23:45

Which would also be nonsense, the only players that could really apply to would be Coley and McCann.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsloyal98  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 00:20

We’ve got the youngest average squad in the league. It’s 24. something or at least was where I read it a week or so back, I suspect with Cochrane & McDonald’s arrivals that may well have dropped slightly

We love Dunfermline We do!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParsAreTheLoveOfMyLife  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 10:39

Our starting team has Nisbet and Turner, who have very little experience in this league, then McCann and Coley who have little first team experience. Apart from that, our team has a number of appearances behind them. Scully, Martin, Devine, Comrie, Ashcroft, Beadling and Paton all have a lot of games in this league or above.

I feel so sorry for Nisbet... Clearly has bags of talent, but is so isolated due to our tactics.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dpard  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 10:59

As said above the majority of the team has championship experience. Scully, Devine, Ashcroft, Martin, Dow, Beadling, Paton, Ryan.
It's the fringe players that are lacking the experience, the likes of Coley, McGill, McCann, Turner.
Hopefully the capture of Cochrane and McDonald ( with potentially one more to come in) can help. Yes, Cochrane is young but he has premier league experience.

The flame still burns
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 12:20

"Scully, Martin, Devine, Comrie, Ashcroft, Beadling and Paton all have a lot of games in this league or above"

majority of Scully and Martin's appearances have been in league 1.
Comrie has about 60 career appearances again mostly in league 1.
Beadling has about 50 career appearances, with about 30 in the championship, that isn't a lot.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: