DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Perspective needed.
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 10:55

Yesterday was the most disappointing result of the season so far, I think we can all agree on that but were the previous 3 results any real surprise in the league?
A draw vs Dundee and QOS plus a defeat vs Utd would have been expected pre season if we are honest with ourselves.
So, why are many on here hitting the panic button so early?
I'm not expecting us to be anywhere near the top of the league this season.
Prior to the campaign starting, I thought most fans accepted this season was a transitional year and we would most likely be a mid table side so I find it bizarre to read posts calling for the managers head/board statements/ experiment failed etc etc.

One thing is for sure.
If the fans turn up to be a right bunch of moaning faced hoors then the players will just perform worse and worse so how about we accept our lot and get right behind the players on the park?

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere

Post Edited (Sun 01 Sep 10:56)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Perspective needed.
Topic Originator: oapar  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 11:10

Exactly!!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 11:12

Agree with your post in most parts AAPS - I expected a loss to both Dundee teams and a draw/win at QOS.

I also expected a BIG loss to Celtic and was left very impressed.

I was predicting a 7th place finish for the season and would have been happy with that considering our financial state and subsequent shift to a youth set-up.

I did expect the season to be tough but thought we might avoid demotion.

In order to achieve this we need to be beating those teams favourites to flirt with demotion (ie. Alloa and Arbroath).

It is worrying that we did not.do this especially so early in the season when we need to be laying down the gauntlet to them.

Perspective may have shifted.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 11:16

I've been on and off here since 5pm yesterday hoping to see a post like this in amongst all the hysterics. Thanks AAPS.

I actually read yesterday that we had 30 minutes to save our season......from one of the more reasonable posters as well.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 11:25

Cracking post AAPS. I was never keen on the original decision to appoint SC but we are where we are and pre-season the board explained exactly what they were looking to achieve this year so it was always going to be a difficult season.

We've had a reasonable amount of success in the league cup and we're only 4 games into the season although our early form has obviously been a bit ropey. We've pretty much got a brand new team in place and it's going to take a bit of time for that to bed in.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 11:53

Excellent post.
Still new players arriving and means taking time to gel.
We have done much better than I expected apart from the Arbroath game.
We all agreed as the OP said prior to the start of the campaign.
I think we have shown we have ability but the first quarter at least will see us hugging the bottom spots.
Hopefully we will gradually become more consistant and climb.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Superally  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 11:58

realistic OT post

2009/10, 2010/11, 2013/14, 2015/16 dafc.net Prediction League Champion

It's a well known medical fact that some men were born two drams below par.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 12:11

Think you also need a bit of perspective on the fans that turned up.

It's a long way to go to see a such a completely inept performance.

🔩 ya 🚀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 12:17

To be realistic we haven't started the season any better or worse than when AJ was in charge !
At present because of a few good results we are expecting more points on the board , yes it is a young team still needing time to gel but we cannot keep making this the excuse week in week out when results do not go our way it also illustrates if the players do not put the work rate and effort into any game it will be the same results we will see week in week out , lets hope yesterday was a big learning curve to all , and we can go on from here in the right direction
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 12:46

Why were Arbroath expected to be the walkover our "fans" expected?

The Bunnet always has his teams well organised and difficult to beat, at home with a strong wind, that's a great leveller. They will take points from a lot of teams this year and prove that they are not the cannon fodder everyone expects.
If I was a QOS or Partick fan I would be more worried about yesterday's results.
Have patience, COYP!!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 13:01

I didn't ever expect Arbroath (or any other side in the division) to be a walkover but what I did expect was us to make a reasonable go of getting back into the game after going a goal down early in the second half. As a fan, I don't think I'm entitled to see my team win all the time or be near the top of the league all the time, but I think I'm entitled to see a reasonable effort at getting back into a game.

I can only speak for myself, but it's not that we didn't win 3-0 that bothers me, it's that we didn't remotely trouble them after going a goal down. Arbroath didn't do all that much in the game - they had one chance they scored from and a shot in the last minute straight at the keeper - but they were still the better side and deserved to win.

What is it with AAPS and the constant need to have a go at fans who actually go to games? For your info, there were a good number there yesterday who were largely quite patient, despite the dreadful stuff they were watching.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsloyal98  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 13:03

It's the performances that have led to so many hitting the panic button. Absolutely brutal.

Dundee - Outstanding first half, fell off completely in second half.

Queen of the South - Didn't turn up whatsoever.

Dundee United - same as above but even worse

Arbroath - same as above

The fact we haven't won a league match since March also doesn't help nor does the fact we don't even look like winning one.

If we want to be where we want to be, we need to be winning every game against your Queen of the South's and Arbroath's and nothing anyone says is going to convince me otherwise.

We love Dunfermline We do!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dumpster  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 13:11

Here’s a bit of perspective for you. We lost 1-0 against part-timers and didn’t create a clear cut chance. We’re sitting with 2 points after 4 games. We have a ‘goalkeeper’ who has a tendency to lose soft goals at his near post. Fans are more than entitled to vent frustration with a full time team who cannot get the basics right and who have created close to zero chances in last 3 games. Big improvement required very soon.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 13:15

Dundee game - probably expected at least a draw but after the good start it was definitely 2 points lost. The second half performance has been the norm since then, with the first half showing looking like an aberration.
Queens game - would maybe have accepted a point before the game although it was against a QoS side without Dobbie and again we started reasonably well but faded alarmingly quickly and the goal was coming.
United game - easy to say that we weren't expecting to get anything out the game when it's a Rangers or Celtic, but it was Dundee Utd, not some Harlem Globtrotter outfit. The fact that they didn't have to work hard for the victory, that 4 or 5 nil wouldn't have flattered them or that we barely had a shot in a home game was very worrying. If we're going to write off these games, are we also writing off away games in Dundee, up at Inverness etc?
Arbroath game - probably the worst performance of the lot. No clue how to play the conditions or the opponents, and the lack of fight and urgency was unforgivable.

I'm not sure where the wins are coming from if we're simply writing off games v the Dundee sides and away games at teams who were promoted last season and who narrowly avoided going down last season who were missing by far their best player? Are we banking on home wins v Alloa, Arbroath and Ayr to somehow propel us to the top 4?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 13:42

Said before a ball was kicked that I’d take 8th place.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 14:00

Yip, when your drawing games you should have won and loosing the rest your only going one way.

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 14:16

I’m kind of in the middle when it comes to judging our current situation. I’m certainly not calling for anyone’s head and I’ve never harboured any lofty ambition in respect of the season ahead. Trite and rather clichéd I know, but I remain grateful that the Pars are still around and I remain optimistic that we may see some upturn in seasons to come.

BUT

Yesterday was an especially frustrating performance and it was nowhere near acceptable. We were unable to string one move together all game, and our distribution was, at times, lamentably poor. I agree with others who’ve pointed out that fans who shelled out for the trip to Arbroath were, in fact, remarkably forgiving in the face of a catastrophic display. Anyone moaning about yesterday (and I didn’t audibly have a go at anyone) has every right to be dissatisfied. That was as poor as we’ve been for a long time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars_andy  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 15:18

Kelty Par “top 4”??? You’re having a laugh surely? This season was always going to be about survival. The board announced a massive cut in playing budget and said we would have to rely on on ‘young hungry players’. Even the most cognitively challenged can recognise that this isn’t a team in a position to push for promotion.

==================================
"However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." - Stanley Kubrick
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 15:46

Agree with a lot of the sentiment, but reality is some of the mistakes from last year are still being repeated.

Long balls in tough conditions. Why?
1 isolated striker up front not getting any contact or service. Needs to be addressed.
Danny Devine. Danny Devine? It was proven last year, and the two previous clubs to ya that the guy is not up to the task. Yet he is still here and started yesterday and had a mare. Him and Ashcroft together is like the worst muppet show pairing I’ve ever seen. Only funny if they’re not ours!

I’m all for youth getting a chance, but that also means senior players really pulling their weight. Scully, Ashcroft, Devine, Paton, I expect more from them.

Yesterday was a real black mark for the management team and now they really need to win one of the next three games or it could be terminal. By that I mean I think they’ll have reached that point AJ got to before he staggered on for a few more games to the Alloa draw and eventual dismissal. Reality was he was a dead man walking. I don’t want to see that.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 16:06

I think I agree with the above post regsrding long balls to a lone striker. You have to start as you mean to go on. Modern football is about possession of the ball and developing players so they can hold on to the ball. Winning games is as much about mental attitude and breaking the morale of the other team. Lone strikers snd the players behind him will quickly lose heart in a game if the ball is punted up the park only to come right back at you.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 20:09

I liked the sentiment expressed in the OP, but we have to bow to the more objective posters such as Socks and Kelty who were at the game. It's much easier to be benign and forgiving from afar, but not so when you witness an insipid and uninspiring performance first hand.

It's a bit early to be pressing the panic button after only 4 league games, but fans have every right to be concerned after such a poor start and it would be arrogant to be complacent and expect that the situation will turn around of its own accord, without a concerted effort by both the squad and the management team.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 20:16

I think the difference this year to last year is the players want to turn it round.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 20:17

We have not won a league game in 16 I believe? I really hope SC and the team can get this right. What is the boards expectations this season? Most fans say 7th/8th.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 20:21

Parrot you just said the players want to turn it round.......maybe they should have tried to get back in the game yesterday and turned it around.
No excuses at all yesterday from any off them imo.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 20:22

There is no need to be pressing the alarm button just yet, we do however need to be winning a game very soon to give the young lads a bit of confidence

It is going to be a rollercoaster season, realistically we all knew that, the play off places still must be the target

Keep the faith and keep supporting the laddies, with our support they will grow into men
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossDAFC  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 20:37

Telling the fans we want to develop a passing, attacking brand of football and then punting long balls in gale force winds to a lone striker who didny even look like he wanted to be there doesn’t resonate well with the fans who trekked up. We are all aware that budgets have been slashed etc. but the least we expect is effort and that includes the manager understanding that the tactics yesterday were wrong for the conditions.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 07:44

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 1 Sep 20:09

I liked the sentiment expressed in the OP, but we have to bow to the more objective posters such as Socks and Kelty who were at the game. It's much easier to be benign and forgiving from afar, but not so when you witness an insipid and uninspiring performance first hand.

It's a bit early to be pressing the panic button after only 4 league games, but fans have every right to be concerned after such a poor start and it would be arrogant to be complacent and expect that the situation will turn around of its own accord, without a concerted effort by both the squad and the management team.

I feared the words "insipid" and "uninspiring" would haunt us this year...

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 08:36

I think the most disappointing thing for those who have been to the Queens, United and Arbroath games has been the standard of performances we’ve put in.

You can accept a defeat if you’re just unlucky. However, that’s 3 league games in a row we’ve lacked any sort of game plan, any excitement, any creativity. The performances have been absolutely dreadful and haven’t filled us with any hope.

Really, we’ve turned up for a total of 45 minutes in our first 4 league games combined. Are we meant to just accept that? I think on Saturday, the fans were very patient with the team, despite a totally inept performance. There’s no point in hiding the fact that the performances so far have been incredibly disappointing. I’m not sure we’ve even forced the opposition keepers into making a save in the last 2 games.

There’s certainly time to make amends for this, but at the moment there isn’t any indication that the manager or the players know how to put an end to a slump like this.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JimMcDAFC  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 10:03

It was good to see how we played against Dundee in the first half with quick passing and movement and pressing the opposition and I thought we'll if we can keep this up we might have a enjoyable season. Saturday's weather conditions was never a day to play this type of game, it was a game where the ugly side of the game was going to decide it ie. winning your individual tackles and second balls and generally getting stuck in and we totally failed in that dept. Defence continually put under pressure as midfield non existent and not keeping possession for any length of time. I think it's time next week to drop quite a few of regulars and also give Gill a run of games in the team, he has been here long enough and think he merits a chance.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 10:14

I think the perspective is that we have 1 league win in 13 or 14 games. Some perspective needs to be highlighted in regards to that!

Are we just cutting our cloth accordingly fighting for 8th spot and then say we have a young squad? We do have a young squad - We should have an experienced manager leading them.

I hate putting negative posts on and I know this is one of them but times are dire. If this was AJ in charge, we'd be calling for his head.

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 13:14

"Kelty Par “top 4”??? You’re having a laugh surely? This season was always going to be about survival. The board announced a massive cut in playing budget and said we would have to rely on on ‘young hungry players’. Even the most cognitively challenged can recognise that this isn’t a team in a position to push for promotion."

Top two will likely be the Dundee clubs. Third? Probably Inverness although they've also cut their budget for this season. So third possibly and fourth for sure is up for grabs. Morton have just been hammered 5-0, lost arguably their best two players in Tidser and Telfer to Falkirk and replaced them with Robbie Muirhead. Partick are a basket case behind the scenes, have an unproven manager and are currently below even us. Alloa and Arbroath will be making sure they stay up rather than looking upwards and as injuries and suspensions bite, their small part-time squads will take a hit. Queen of the South have our underperforming manager, are on as bad a run as we are, lost Dykes who was a big part of their squad last year and replaced him with a guy who scored no goals from open play last season. Ayr have lost Shankland who almost single handedly kept them near the top of the table last season. So why wouldn't we be competing with those other 7 clubs for fourth? There isn't a huge amount between any of the clubs outside Dundee Utd and maybe Dundee and Inverness - the accepting of guff performances and terrible results is something we should not be doing. I for one won't be happy finishing 7th or 8th this season given the make up of the league this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gaz3822  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 14:02

The last time we stripped the squad and brought in younger/lower league players was when Jeffries was in charge. A proper manager doing a job a rookie is now trying to do. We're seeing the difference unfold.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 14:50

JJ couldn't get us out of League 1 though!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 15:18

Agree with kelty par, outside the Dundee teams there isn’t really that much quality, we should be aiming for near the top but people just want to accept survival. Sad to admit we are really no better than mid championship team and the longer people want to accept just survival as good enough will make it harder for us to ever aim to go to the premiership
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 15:34

So by being truthful to ourselves we are actually hampering our chances of ever getting to the Premiership ?
Well if I knew it was that easy I'd be shouting for us to win every game handsomely and storm the league... Cos that's how it works eh 🤣
I'll play along if it gets us into the top league.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 15:39

So why should we just be accepting 7/8th place? Obviously it doesn’t work like that and I never said that, but wonder why we are regressing as a club when we now accept survival good enough
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 16:48

IMO, Dundee Utd will win the league. 2nd to 4th. Dundee, Inverness, and Partick
Bottom 2, Alloa and Arbroath. The rest of us fighting for 5th to 7th. PS I may be wrong about Partick. Hopefully we will finish between 5th and 7th.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 17:13

We're 4 games into the season min.
4 games!!!
Aaagh panic!!!
You don't accept 7/8th place and survival... But you have to be realistic with the squad we have.
As it stands (only 4 games played mind) it doesn't look like we're going to storm the league so folk have lowered their expectations a bit.
I can guarantee you that if we were to win our next 4 games we would be getting "we're looking good for the playoffs" threads.
We don't have much money so we are where we are.... How good we were in the past has no relevance in my opinion (other opinions are available)
Football is all about money.
Smaller budget = lower expectations.
We aren't regressing as a club...we're on the up... But slowly as finances dictate.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 18:44

Quote:

widtink, Mon 2 Sep 17:13

We're 4 games into the season min.
4 games!!!
Aaagh panic!!!
You don't accept 7/8th place and survival... But you have to be realistic with the squad we have.
As it stands (only 4 games played mind) it doesn't look like we're going to storm the league so folk have lowered their expectations a bit.
I can guarantee you that if we were to win our next 4 games we would be getting "we're looking good for the playoffs" threads.
We don't have much money so we are where we are.... How good we were in the past has no relevance in my opinion (other opinions are available)
Football is all about money.
Smaller budget = lower expectations.
We aren't regressing as a club...we're on the up... But slowly as finances dictate.

Far too sensible for this forum, Tiddlywink. Stick to the Admin duties, eh? 😉

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 18:50

My bad... What was I thinking eh 🤣

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Perkins  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 21:06

"We aren't regressing as a club...we're on the up... But slowly as finances dictate."

Don't see anything tangible to back that up. Last season we incurred a significant loss and have slashed the playing budget as a result. We now have a team and manager who may or may not be able to cut it in the league. Nobody really knows. That's my perspective on things
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 21:22

We’re on the up? We have went from 2 seasons ago finishing in the playoffs to now a reduced playing budget and most folk happy at survival this season? Some rise on the up that.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: