DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Pat Stanton on "Off the Ball"
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 18:43

As many Pars fans will know, Pat Stanton was one of the poorest managers we've ever had the misfortune to appoint at EEP. As a player though, he was a class act. I've just listened to last weekend's podcast in which he was asked about the best players he ever played with or against.

Out he came with, "Look there was this player called Alex Edwards at Hibs, he never even got one Scottish cap and he was a far better player than some who have amassed 40 caps or more."

Amen to that. Many Pars fans of my generation believe Edwards is the greatest Pars player of all time. His disciplinary record wasn't the best as he frequently became hacked off at the brutal treatment he received from opposing defenders and the scant protection from referees, so that he often ended up being sent off for retaliation while the hammer throwers escaped with a booking.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Pat Stanton on "Off the Ball"
Topic Originator: WarringtonPar  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 18:57

He was fantastic. The best crosser of his generation. Like Roy Barry, Willie callaghan, John Lunn had they played for the old firm they'd have got 30-40 caps each.

Post Edited (Mon 02 Sep 18:57)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 19:50

Alex Edwards, best Pars player ever, and I'd add Bert Paton to WarringtonPar's list.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 20:17

We had some of the best players in Scotland in that era Sadly most overlooked for Scottish Caps Hugh Robertson was also a favourite of mine
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: QPR_Par  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 20:43

GG, I have to agree with you that Pat Stanton as a player was a class act. Stanton is another player who got nowhere near as many caps as his talent deserved.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 20:45

Wee Mickey's temperament let him down at times sadly.

He had an ongoing fued with Tommy Craig of Aberdeen - they met in a reserve match not that long after each had been sent off in a first team encounter - both were dismissed again !!!

I can still visualise his winning goal from quick one-two interchange with Shug Robertson on the halfway line when he ran on to score in a cup quarter final at EEP v Kilmarnock.

Easily the most skilful Pars player ever, bar none.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 20:53

A wonderful passer of the ball and a great player for both us and the Hibees.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Perkins  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 20:55

"Pat Stanton was one of the poorest managers we've ever had the misfortune to appoint at EEP."

Signed Norrie. Wasn't all bad
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 20:56

Alex Edwards was remarkably unlucky never to win even one Scottish cap, but he played at a time when competition was fierce for his position. As a young player at EEP he was up against Willie Henderson and Jimmy Johnstone, two dribbling wingers who were at the time favoured by the SFA Selection Committee, a group who still believed that Wembley Wizard football from 30 years earlier could unlock any international defence. Alex was a playmaking winger but when manager Bobby Brown eventually tried this style he opted for Tommy McLean, who unusually won all his 6 caps when at Kilmarnock rather than at Rangers. Also available was the mercurial Charlie Cooke, an outstanding talent who could not only dribble like a traditional winger but possessed lovely passing and crossing skill.

Having said that, playmakers like Bobby Hope, Willie Carr, Tony Green and Jimmy Smith all earned Scottish caps but none of them had been playing regularly in European competitions for a decade like Alex Edwards since none of them played for teams as good as either the 1960s Pars or the early 1970s Hibernian. Alex just never got his chance. Don Masson was the same age as Alex Edwards, played a similar midfield general role, and had played in relative obscurity for Notts County most of his career, until he was capped at the age of 30. Masson is now remembered for his missed penalty against Peru, but for over a year he was the man who made the Scottish team tick and was a major influence in our qualifying for Argentina. Iā€™m confident Alex Edwards could have had a similar impact had he been given a Scotland jersey.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 22:02

Quote:

veteraneastender, Mon 2 Sep 20:45

Wee Mickey's temperament let him down at times sadly.

He had an ongoing fued with Tommy Craig of Aberdeen - they met in a reserve match not that long after each had been sent off in a first team encounter - both were dismissed again !!!

I can still visualise his winning goal from quick one-two interchange with Shug Robertson on the halfway line when he ran on to score in a cup quarter final at EEP v Kilmarnock.

Easily the most skilful Pars player ever, bar none.

Being a daft wee laddie at the time I was in the pre-cage area of the ground and promptly turned round to give the Killie fans some abuse.
I was floored by a coin or a stone that hit me above the nose, ended up getting first aid to stop the bleeding, my father was not amused!
Still got the scar by the way!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 3 Sep 20:01

''Wee Mickey's temperament let him down at times sadly.''

I have to take exception to that statement, VEE. It was the referees of the time who let him down, by failing to come down hard on those who went out to kick him from the off. Remember Bertie Auld, for one? Matt Watson of Kilmarnock? I could go on......

Billy Bremner was another to pay him a heavy handed compliment when Hibs met Leeds in the Fairs Cup. Both games ended goalless and Leeds went through on pens, but Hibs had looked the more likely side in the 2nd leg at Easter Road, with Edwards pulling the strings until Bremner decided enough was enough and booted him high into the night air. I don't think he even got a yellow card, but it would have been well worth it. Edwards hobbled around for the rest of the game and Hibs challenge fizzled out.

Edwards was perhaps not the brightest bulb in the box, but he was only human and opponents knew he might eventually retaliate if they kicked him and goaded him often enough in a game.

''I can still visualise his winning goal from quick one-two interchange with Shug Robertson on the halfway line when he ran on to score in a cup quarter final at EEP v Kilmarnock."

That goal is indelibly stamped on my mind too. It came in the 90th min after the Pars had gone a goal down to the league champions, just before half time. Killie defended wave after wave of Pars attacks for all they were worth. Even when Bert Paton equalised after 70 mins they still looked like they would take the tie back to Rugby Park for a replay until the goal you describe, at the town end. Edwards ran diagonally from right to left as Robertson played him in, took it wide of the despairing keeper and reverse passed it into the net with his weaker left foot. EEP went berserk at that point. I can't remember if the ref restarted the match or blew for full time.

''Easily the most skilful Pars player ever, bar none.''

You won't get an argument from me on that one.... :-)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 3 Sep 20:05

He sounds like Joe Cardle...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 3 Sep 20:17

Quote:

Grant, Tue 3 Sep 20:05

He sounds like Joe Cardle...

Ahm no' bitin', Grant. šŸ˜‰

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 3 Sep 20:30

"I have to take exception to that statement, VEE. It was the referees of the time who let him down, by failing to come down hard on those who went out to kick him from the off."

Maybe's aye- then again.................

I mind Bobby Cox of Dundee being sent packing at EEP for trying to clatter AE once too often.

"He sounds like Joe Cardle..."

Behave yourself, 1st April is past.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 3 Sep 23:09

And Alex did kick Bobby Cox once the ball had gone, so they were both sent packing. John McLaughlin, our centre forward, was suspended by the club at the time of that 3-3 draw with Dundee, for an assault on Alex Edwards in a dressing room bust up.

I've also seen Alex Edwards, when at Hibs, taunting Alex McDonald of Rangers and inviting a reaction. Blowing kisses at him, nursing the ball and saying 'Come and Get it,' sort of thing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG741  
Date:   Wed 4 Sep 03:34

There was a further related discussion on that podcast (can't remember who said it), that you really couldn't get a Scottish cap at that time unless you played in Glasgow.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Sep 12:03

If I remember rightly the goal he scored was in the last minute. I remember him skipping past the keeper and knocking it in the net.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Sep 16:46

Quote:

WarringtonPar, Wed 4 Sep 12:03

If I remember rightly the goal he scored was in the last minute. I remember him skipping past the keeper and knocking it in the net.

Oh come on, Warrington. You just read my detailed, Sammeresque post further up and then come out with "IIRC "..... šŸ˜‰

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Sep 22:42

Sorry it was an attempt to respond to VEEs post further up. Your account was of course accurate. I hadn't read it prior to posting.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Sep 06:05

''Sorry it was an attempt to respond to VEEs post further up. Your account was of course accurate. I hadn't read it prior to posting.''

No apology necessary, WP - I was just pulling your leg.

My long term memory is reasonable, but I couldn't tell you what I had for my dinner a couple of days ago. :-(

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Sep 11:49

I found a photo in one of the Pars books.

Had forgotten it was the pink candy stripe jerseys that day.

They say the camera doesn't lie ........there's somebody "behind" the Killie defender's left arm.......but where the hell are the other 19 players ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Sep 12:12

Great picture. Were the Pars wearing red and white candy stripes. I liked that strip.
I think they were but the picture doesn't make it clear.
Check out the crowd!

Post Edited (Thu 05 Sep 12:13)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Sep 12:58

Yes, the pink candy stripe.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Sep 13:32

Quote:

WarringtonPar, Thu 5 Sep 12:12

Great picture. Were the Pars wearing red and white candy stripes. I liked that strip.
I think they were but the picture doesn't make it clear.
Check out the crowd!

We always got big crowds v Kilmarnock, WP. They were a top team, along with the Pars of course. Better than Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and both Dundee clubs. Killie and ourselves were the two clubs who gave the OF their hardest games in the 60s.

The SC was also held in much higher regard than it is now and Killie always brought a good support through, so no surprise there was a big crowd. From memory (no guarantee) I think it was around 16,000.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Sep 13:52

Killie were defending League Champions when we beat them in that cup 1/4 final.

"We always got big crowds v Kilmarnock, WP. They were a top team, along with the Pars of course. Better than Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and both Dundee clubs. Killie and ourselves were the two clubs who gave the OF their hardest games in the 60s."

Dundee won the League in 1961-62 season, so maybe they gave the OF their hardest games in the early part of that decade ?
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: