DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 C'mon Scotland
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 17:16

Very likely to get hammered, but you never know with Scotland, A bit like watching the Pars really,

2-4

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: C'mon Scotland
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 17:43

Let's face it , we are minnows in world football . I have my doubts we'll ever be anything else .
1-5 .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 17:59

An embarrassing 1-6 tonight.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 18:07

0 V 3
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 18:18

Definitely one to get stuck into the Kwak early to numb the pain. Gubbed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 18:32

It would be so typical of Scotland to get a result tonight. We probably won’t but if we do it would be the false hope we are all accustomed to.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 18:46

Scotland
1Marshall
2O'Donnell
4Mulgrew
5Cooper
3Robertson
10McGregor
16McLean
6McTominay
20Christie
19Phillips
17Snodgrass

Substitutes
7Forrest
8McGinn
9McBurnie
11Fraser
12McLaughlin
13Bates
15Devlin
18Armstrong
21MacGillivray
22Russell
23Taylor
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Captain Desmond Fancey  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 18:53

Difficult to see anything other than a very comfortable away in, no doubt played infront of a less than full stadium too.

The good old days
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 18:54

Would take a 3-0 defeat.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 19:13

2/5 for Belgium looks like buying money.

11/10 for Belgium -1

Belgium win and BTTS 9/4

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 19:18

I've put Belgium to win and over 2.5 goals at Evens in an acca with Germany and the Netherlands to win and over 2.5 goals. Total odds 3.6.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 19:25

Looks a decent bet LPF

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 19:29

Hopefully. My football betting has been consistently scunnered by one team recently (gamblers lament) so if it does go pear shaped hopefully its Scotland that runs it!

Post Edited (Mon 09 Sep 19:46)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hay Fever  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 19:42

No watching if McGregors playing, hides all game and most overrated player in Scotland . Rant over
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 19:46

I think McGregor is a cracking player in his preferred position.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 19:59

Scotland get a free-kick, Belgium score from it. Classic stuff
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 20:05

14 seconds I think they said.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 20:10

Steve Clarke must be regretting this. Defence is woeful.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 20:12

This is embarrassing. Belgium aren’t even trying. They’re just letting us beat ourselves first. We are so far behind in footballing terms it’s enough to make you weep.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 20:18

And to think 10/15 years ago we considered them equals. The difference is they done something about it whereas the SFA done sweet FA as usual. Everything about Scotland in footballing terms is a joke.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 20:20

Brutal.

I blame Westminster. 🤨
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 20:20

Really wishing I'd had a look at the half time odds for Belgium and over 2.5 goals. Been saying it for ages now we just dont have the defenders at this level and to be honest I dont think we've got our best midfield out today either.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 20:23

Scottish football is knackered beyond repair. Even Kosovo are better than us and they’re no even a real country. The utter shame of it all.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parplod  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 20:35

I’m going wild in the aisles. Not at Hampden but watching Supermarket Sweep.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 20:36

Are there any sports Scotland can compete with Ireland?
Football?
Rugby?
Cricket?
Golf?

And they all come after the main participation sports of Gaelic football and Hurling.
Yes I know some of them combine North and South but on a population basis same numbers.
Having said that both North and South football teams know what the final stages of an International tournament look like. We go back a generation.

Should have mentioned Elephant Polo.😭
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 20:38

I've put this up before as well but we should be looking at how the Kiwis structure their rugby at all levels and take the transferable lessons for football and implement them here.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 20:50

Quote:

londonparsfan, Mon 9 Sep 20:38

I've put this up before as well but we should be looking at how the Kiwis structure their rugby at all levels and take the transferable lessons for football and implement them here.

Getting refs to continually let us break the rules?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 20:55

We've got them on the ropes now tho !

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 20:57

Quote:

ipswichpar, Mon 9 Sep 20:50

Quote:

londonparsfan, Mon 9 Sep 20:38

Getting refs to continually let us break the rules?

Walked into that one 😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 21:21

First time I’ve switched to the Parliament Channel instead of watching Scotland.
That’s how bad it is right now!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 21:26

That O’Donnell is rubbish. The epitome of a Scottish football player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 21:29

Ah, Belgium are being nice to us. They've brought a toddler on.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 21:29

Thankfully Belgium have just been going through the motions 2nd half .
If they had wanted 6 or 7 , I reckon they could have got them with ease . Utterly embarrassing again .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 21:38

The fans couldn’t even be bothered making a noise at the end. No boos, no applause. Apathy has well and truly sunk in.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 21:39

Quote:

londonparsfan, Mon 9 Sep 19:18

I've put Belgium to win and over 2.5 goals at Evens in an acca with Germany and the Netherlands to win and over 2.5 goals. Total odds 3.6.

🙌🙌🙌
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 21:47

Belgium were just taking the pihs in the 2nd half.
I’m not surprised the subs play rock,paper, scissors just to get on and still take the mock out off an utter dross Scotland side!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 21:49

It’s super being a Pars and Scotland fan 😢 Gets worse every year!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 22:05

Our defenders don't look like they have the strength to compete against powerful players like Dzuba or Lukaku. Lukaku was able to hold the ball up all night and pick his pass. We lost a goal direct from a corner for a similar reason.

No doubt Steve Clarke wants Scotland to play enterprising football but we won't do that if we are a soft touch in defence. Man to man marking with a covering sweeper is well out of fashion these days, but it developed in Italy where their skilful defenders found they were being outmuscled by muscular North European imports such as Gunnar Nordahl and John Charles so they had to get in close and try to win the first ball.

Belgium are a very good side even without Hazard, but we should be making it harder for them to play the way they did, especially at Hampden Park.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: southsidejonny  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 22:06

Didn't know we were playing tonight until I came onto dotnet. Football is not much fun at the moment.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 22:39

We used to have big centre halfs and strikers.Now we have guys not much larger than me.
Remember the song 'six foot two eyes of blue big jim holtons after you'.
What really confuses me is every young guy seems I know seems to be well over 6ft.Did all our big young guys just stop football as kids?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 22:48

What amazes me is folk that are just discovering that we're keech.
This hasn't just happened overnight... We've been keech for about 20 years now and it ain't gonna get any better anytime soon.
We don't deserve to be in tournaments... Not that it gives me any pleasure to admit it... But it's the truth.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Mon 9 Sep 22:55

I've seen us play alot worse than that recently but Belgium were playing well within themselves. I dunno if we can get a team crafted for the play off games and give that a go but not looking great. That defence is absolutely murder though and nothing in the next 6 months or so is going to change that.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Tue 10 Sep 07:50

Was never going to be an easy task playing against the worlds best side

To put it into perspective we had a guy who plays for Kilmarnock playing against Kevin De Brunye. That makes you realise the enormity if the gulf between the sides

We should be doing better against the other teams in our group with resources such as Robertson, Fraser, McTominay, McGinn, McBurnie who are all playing in the English Premiership and major European competitions

We seem to continually have problems in certain positions Right back and centre back (Charlie Mulgrew must be about as old as me now)

I think Stevie Clark is the right man for the job and will eventually do better with what is available but there needs to be something done at grass roots level, we have never been a major footballing nation since kids stopped playing Tanner Baw fitba in the streets
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Captain Desmond Fancey  
Date:   Tue 10 Sep 08:02

"we have never been a major footballing nation since kids stopped playing Tanner Baw fitba in the streets"

We've never really been a major footballing nation at all. Sure we used to qualify for tournaments but despite all the 'big names' who have played for us in the past we've never once gotten out of the first round.

Barring the odd exceptional result we've kind of always been a bit sh*te, albeit not quite as bad as we are now.

With a couple of notable exceptions half that Scotland squad just now look like they don't even want to be there.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Tue 10 Sep 09:51

The Scotland squad is full of what we might cal;l journeyman players, we do not have that exceptional talent that can turn a game for us, unfortunately the days of the Dalgliesh , Souness Gemmill etc are long gone and not likely to return in the near future and that is what the manager has to work with .

G.B
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Sep 10:24

Quote:

General Zod, Mon 9 Sep 20:23

Scottish football is knackered beyond repair. Even Kosovo are better than us and they’re no even a real country. The utter shame of it all.

Kosovo are Europes in form team. Unbeaten in 15 . Run includes wins over Bulgaria and Czech republic

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bigbeefcake  
Date:   Tue 10 Sep 10:26

We're rotten from top to bottom. SFA are a complete and utter shambles.

Decision making - get these games to Tynecastle or Easter Road and price the tickets at £20. End result might not have been too dissimilar but I imagine a packed tynecastle with an atmosphere, tight pitch, tight formation would have made for a better game.

Who would want to come and play at a half empty, atmosphereless hamdump?

Then there's the way of thinking, the tactics, the way of life. All wrong. Boy next to me on Friday night frantically shouting at free kick before Russia goal 'don't play it quick ffs ya useless **** lump it into the big man', - we didn't have a big man!!

Apathy with national team, apathy with club team - might just put the top 6 premiership teams in a hat and pick one of them out.

It's another big beefy bonanza at the beefcake boulevard!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bigfoot  
Date:   Tue 10 Sep 13:47

I genuinely thought there wasn't much difference between the two teams and it was more Belgium's organisation in defence that beat us.

The first half goals were all pretty much counter-attack footy at it's best and some naive defence.

We have a players at the back who are comfortable on the ball. Time and again we played some nice football out from the back - drawing the Belgian onto our defence to create space and a good mix of short passes and the long ball into the channel paying dividends.

We are developing a patient style of football when in possession - looking for the opening. Belgium sat back and stung us on the counter when we became frustrated.

Am I pessimistic? No, not after that. Yes rwh score shows we were well and truly beaten, but it is against the currently No1 ranked team in the world and we sit 48th, progress is being made.

Are there shortfalls - yes.

I do think that the centre midfield is bereft of any guile, especially when we were slow to get the ball forward we found it difficult to breakdown Belgium's three lines of defence. But is that their fault or the players around them not showing for the ball?

I also think that defensively we are a bit naive. If you look at Belgium - they have a settled back 4 and GK.

Robertson is a massive asset, but we need to make sure we are covered when he goes forward in a gung-ho mission.

These are things we can sort out. We can establish our strengths and weakenesses and set up accordingly we will progress.

Jesus saves, but Kirk nets rebound
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jjonjord  
Date:   Tue 10 Sep 15:55

Quote:

Bigfoot, Tue 10 Sep 13:47

I genuinely thought there wasn't much difference between the two teams and it was more Belgium's organisation in defence that beat us.

The first half goals were all pretty much counter-attack footy at it's best and some naive defence.

We have a players at the back who are comfortable on the ball. Time and again we played some nice football out from the back - drawing the Belgian onto our defence to create space and a good mix of short passes and the long ball into the channel paying dividends.

Whilst the first goal was on the counter attack, the second and third - regardless of how the set piece was won - came from poor defending at corners.

I felt we were naive at times in our insistence on playing out from the back. Lost the ball far too easily in our own half on several occasions as a result. Seems to be the way just now that all teams are desperate to play out from the back regardless of whether or not they have the ability to do so against a team that is more than competent at the high press. England scored a goal on Saturday as a direct result of Bulgaria trying to play out when it simply wasn't on.

I do agree though that ultimately last night wasn't the worst performance we have ever put in, and anything we got out of the game would really have been a bonus. That game in Kazakhstan really piled the pressure on us to come up with a big result in one of the tougher games.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Tue 10 Sep 17:24

There were lots of people around me who were quick to castigate Scotland last night every time we passed the ball across the back four and around the midfield

The same people were salivating over the Belgians doing exactly the same thing

Perhaps the main difference is the movement in front which allowed an eventual pass which cut us open
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Sep 17:26

We did start well last night but be under no illusion that Belgium were playing at their best last night. They won that game in second gear. The problem with Scotland playing a passing game is that it only seems to go between the defence and midfield at the moment. The Belgians were quite happy to let us pass the ball about in areas that weren’t putting them in danger.

I do believe that we have a superb manager in charge but he will need at least 3 campaigns to try and get it right. Almost all of our players need more experience at international level also. Hopefully they will get more street wise against teams of this calibre in the future. If Clarke can’t get us to a euro or World Cup finals I think we have to accept that we are royally screwed until some big changes happen upstairs.

Apparently Reykjavik has seven state of the art indoor pitches in their city alone. Scotland, as a whole, have five. It’s madness that even Iceland are ahead of us now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bigfoot  
Date:   Tue 10 Sep 17:39

Agreed JJ.

If you look at Belgium, they scored 4 goals form 8 on target - which shows how clinical they were.

The days of old fashioned wingers taking on players are getting less and less. Much of this is attributed to Alf Ramsay who recognised team play beats individual skills. You also have the dutch total football, and the Spanish tica taca (?) styles - all revolving team tactics. The Germans took that style and developed their own variation using a bit more directness at times.

Likewise the good old crunching tackle where man and ball end up in the stands is a thing of the past as more and more protection is offered to players.

The Belgian style is fantastic to watch - for now. They had 11 men defending in three banks behind the ball. When they turned over the ball, they sprung it out wide, forcing our two centre half out and creating large gaps in the middle.

Yes I agree they have talent in abundance (compared to Scotland) - but it it is their work ethic, willingness to get back and spring forward that made the difference in my opinion. This and some daft defending.

I suspect that teams will set out their stall in a similar fashion and we will end up with teams playing counter attack football against each other and ending up with 0-0 draws.

In terms of Scotland, we are not overly blessed with good players, but there is a shape and a team forming. I was pleased as a whole at the way they retained the ball - albeit it was largely lateral and backwards.

If you look at the stats from last night it shows we were able to keep possession.

Unfortunately there was no incisive moves which is perhaps reflective in the corners won.

Possession Home48%Away52%
Shots Home10 Away15
Shots on Target Home3 Away8
Corners Home3 Away8
Fouls Home12 Away11

Jesus saves, but Kirk nets rebound
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Sep 21:06

Noticed the u21s beat Croatia 2-1 away from home. Maybe there is hope after all!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Tue 10 Sep 21:26

Quote:

RossF, Tue 10 Sep 21:06

Noticed the u21s beat Croatia 2-1 away from home. Maybe there is hope after all!

We seem to be quite successful at age group level and that's something the SFA also needs to look at - what happens between there and seniors.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 10 Sep 23:53

There's rarely promotion from within the U21s though.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Wed 11 Sep 00:07

Said many times before having done my SYFA badges what we were taught to teach kids was less than what I was coached 30 years ago in England!

The successition of failed English and European managers in Scotland is not down to them it's down to the players.

Brought up being taught utter garbage from grassroots levels passed from coach to coach who have qualified to be a coach at an SFA level.

Ask yourself why some of our best players over the years have never been homegrown talent? It's blatantly obvious where the problem lies!

We struggle to pass, tackle take set pieces even throw ins appear difficult! But SFA coaching has us dribbling around cones and making 2 yard passes in triangles!

We are beaten in all games domestic and international football to foreign teams due to the dynamics every Scottish team plays! We have been totally found out even by the likes of Kazakstan and the various other European club teams!

We have lazy one dimensional players who can not adjust to modern footballing!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 11 Sep 07:09

Why are the SFA coaching courses at Largs so highly regarded all over the world, or is that no longer the case? Didn't Jose Mourinho 'do his badges' there?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Wed 11 Sep 09:20

Wee Eck

Was once told it was the cheapest, easiest and quickest place to them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 11 Sep 10:10

It's a bit of a misconception that our under 21's outperform the senior team.They have picked up the occasional decent result but they mirror the senior team.We haven't appeared in any of the FiFA U20 World Cups since it started in 1977.We last qualified for the Euro U21s in 1996 and have failed on the last 12 attempts to qualify.It's no coincidence that England's recent upturn has arrived off the back of their under age teams success in different tournaments.We need to focus on the under age teams more.Decide a way we want to play and get them playing the same formation/tactics that you will look to utilise in the future.

We need players who are comfortable on the ball.Watching Kosovo last night they weren't much better than us defensively but from the goalkeeper to number 11 they had better composure on the ball and retained it and that is why they will create chances and get results.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: