DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Simon Ferry - Open Goal
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Wed 11 Sep 10:24

Not sure if anyone listens to these podcasts or not but normally a good listen. Light hearted banter with Simon Ferry, Kevin Kyle and Paul Slane...

However, this weeks podcast was in regards to mainly the Scotland games over the last few days.

He has a rant about coaching and our belief in Scotland. Too many safe passes from our center midfielders, passing backwards to CBs to full backs, Wingers keeping the ball rather than going at players, players being coached on had to pass to a cone in training unpressed. Too much focus on shape rather than players looking to express themselves.

He mentions about youth at Ajax, 9-12 year olds get 3 hours of strength/conditioning a week. This is part of the reason countries are so far on front of us. Players not playing as much anymore, blaming not being able to access facilities to play, nobody playing in the streets or down the local park because there aren't goals.

He also does a lot of good interviews with ex-pro's on a weekly basis too.

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Simon Ferry - Open Goal
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Wed 11 Sep 11:08

All fair and valid points and def a podcast up for checking out, but why do players who train in England presumably with much better training methods than up here, struggle for us too? cant believe McTominay, Robertson and so on would be so affected by this.Dont get me wrong i get some of the above problems you mentioned applies to England too in terms of playing in the street, but surely not the training at clubs?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Wed 11 Sep 11:29

Si's a good guy. Love his podcasts, normally the ones with Slaney and Kyle are a bit of a joke but he's bang on the money here.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Wed 11 Sep 13:19

Yeah listen to this all the time. Probably the best podcast I listen to. The only thing I disagreed with Si about is that he does not rate McTominay. I think he’s a great player but the problem is that he doesn’t have the ability to make defence splitting passes. He might be better suited as a centre back. He’s a ball winner and is a decent height, which to me makes him a candidate as a right sided centre back with McKenna. I’m surprised Man Utd don’t try him there.

I was in stitches when Slaney suggested copying Benfica with the flying eagle when the teams come out at Hampden. Gutted I missed them at the fringe this year.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: auldpar  
Date:   Wed 11 Sep 14:22

Too many safe passes? Reminds me of Saturday. Midway through the first half Ashcroft gets the ball from Gill, the Alloa team are all behind the ball and there is a circle of clear space (about 25/30 yards) ahead of him.

Plenty room for him to go forward with the ball and get right into the heart of the attacking half - what does he do? He passes it sideways out to the left wing and it comes to nothing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Wed 11 Sep 18:50

Sorry but McTominay is utter pash min. It really just highlights the desperate levels Manchester United have plummeted to in these past few years that he is a starting midfielder.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 11 Sep 22:33

Simin Ferry does a good interview with Martin Compson, worth a watch. I was also listening to the Nutmeg podcast with Vic Kasule recently which was excellent. Mentions a couple of times how he really loved Dunfermline and almost signed a couple of times, which he regretted, although it sounded like The Pars were dragging their heels on the deal. Also talks frankly about the racism he faced, and an incident at EEP when a banana was throw at him as they warmed up. He wasn't sure what to do and Gerry McCabe told him to pick it up and eat it, which apparently won the cage over. He was a player I always wanted to see here, would've been a cult hero
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Thu 12 Sep 17:54

SergioDuarte - you are one bitter wee City fan who's club will forever be in the shadow of the mighty Manchester United.

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 12 Sep 19:12

That may well be true. Suggesting McTominay starting in midfield highlights the massive deterioration in the quality of Man Utd's side is not really controversial though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I was in World War Two they'd call me spitfire
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Thu 12 Sep 19:24

Eh? Bitter ...
like my Murphys I’m not bitter
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: