DAFC.net
Home 14 October 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Spare a thought for Partick Thistle.
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Sun 22 Sep 09:38

I suspect we all have a soft spot for at least one other football club: in my case it's The Jags. And really, what on earth do the doomsayers on this forum have to complain about compared to the predicament that this venerable club finds itself in?
Two seasons ago they were mixing with the elite and not so long before that finishing the season in the top six of Scottish football. Now they seem to be in freefall.
Was I the only one who was jealous when Colin Weir promised £6 million to the club for development purposes? (Wow, how amazing it would be if we had a sugar daddy like that.) And then it all went sour and the bonanza disappeared like the proverbial snow ....
One fears for their future. The Ian McCall link might currently offer a ray of light but in the longer term are they about to join the list of "boom and busters" who are ultimately consigned to history?
I, for one, hope not.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Spare a thought for Partick Thistle.
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 22 Sep 17:13

My fondest memory of Partick Thistle games is many years ago when Alan Rough was in goal. I was quite young at the time and we were having a bit of banter behind the goal directed at Roughie. He used to turn around and have a laugh with us when the ball was at the other end of the Park. That says to me what the game is all about. Its a game...to be enjoyed...by both players and supporters alike...nobody has died. Im not a believer in expecting to see a great performances from players in every game. Its not realistic. I pay to enjoy the spectacle and atmosphere and if we win all the better.

The problem with the sport like many other businesses is that focus has become more and more financial and it takes money to bring success. The days where we could win trophies etc. are perhaps long gone. I think on reflection we shouldn't take the game so seriously, manage expectation, support the team and players, raise the atmosphere and enjoy the ride win or lose.

Post Edited (Sun 22 Sep 17:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 22 Sep 18:20

I remember the 3 - 3 draw through there in the bad days which condemned us to the play offs and could have seen us go out of buisness. The Partick fans were goading the Pars fans from the pitch and laughing giving the money and going down signs laughing at our plight.

I have no sympathy for them at all after that and I hope they go down.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Sun 22 Sep 18:26

Quote:

Par, Sun 22 Sep 18:20

I remember the 3 - 3 draw through there in the bad days which condemned us to the play offs and could have seen us go out of buisness. The Partick fans were goading the Pars fans from the pitch and laughing giving the money and going down signs laughing at our plight.

My feelings exactly.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Sun 22 Sep 18:31

Yup,what goes around comes around.Karma.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Sun 22 Sep 18:49

And by the way,I was at that game,and it was not the minority, but the majority of their fans which were involved.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gadgie59  
Date:   Sun 22 Sep 19:05

Personally, I do have something of a soft spot for Partick Thistle - I remember hearing that they were winning 4-0 against Celtic at halftime in the 1971 League Cup Final. That, for me is what football is all about. Magic stuff!

Equally, I have all too vivid memories of Bertie Auld’s team; who basically played a formation of 10-0-0 (no matter who the opposition were). Dire stuff; all in the interest of staying in the 70’s premier league.

But, when all said and done, there is something about Partick Thistle that is poetic; perhaps simply that there ‘are’ people from Glasgow who choose to support someone other than that old-firm (yay)

:)

“Football is a beautiful game,
It should be played beautifully.”
Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 22 Sep 19:07

I remember that game as well. It's a hard enough job supporting the Pars without bothering about any other team's fortunes.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 01:46

Unlike many on here, I don't have black-and-white blood - my time as a football supporter extends back long before my life in Fife!

My dad played for Partick Thistle many years ago, and I was a season-ticket holder at Firhill, back in the days that Indiapar mentions, when Roughie was in goal. I first saw him playing for the reserves and when he turned his back on a shot that went in I reckoned he was useless (my football analysis was rubbish back then too.) Memories of the 1971 League Cup Final against Celtic (4-1) are still vivid.

So I don't want bad things to happen to the Jags, and I hope that McCall (plus Archibald and Scally if they sign on as well) will do the business for them. It could be a disaster like Paul Hartley at Falkirk, but I think it's more likely to be a success like Jack Ross at St Mirren, and they'll be in the running for a play-off spot.

BTW, I was at the 3-3 match at Firhill too, and yes, there were Jags fans behaving badly and mocking the Pars fans. But if I remember rightly, that match didn't condemn DAFC to the play-offs, failure to win the next week against Airdrie United did that, combined with the 15 point deduction for going into administration.

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 06:32

''BTW, I was at the 3-3 match at Firhill too, and yes, there were Jags fans behaving badly and mocking the Pars fans. But if I remember rightly, that match didn't condemn DAFC to the play-offs, failure to win the next week against Airdrie United did that, combined with the 15 point deduction for going into administration.''

Correct Stanza. We contrived to lose 2-1 at home to already relegated Airdrie, with one of our best players at the time, Ryan Wallace, missing a first half hat trick of very presentable chances. IIRC, even a draw would have kept us out of the relegation play off spot.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 09:20

I'll not be sparing a thought for them after the 3-3 because the majority of their fans are ballbag.

No need to feel for them anyway, they've just pinched one of the best managers in the league to try and help their group of duds gel as a team. I feel for Ayr United, a team playing great football now without their manager who is vital to them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 09:44

April 1959

Pars 10 Thistle 1.

Harry Melrose scored 6.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hay Fever  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 10:24

Like the club but their Fans are cretins with chips on their shoulders like their Bigoted Glasgow Brothers. Will never have any sympathy for them after that 3-3 game. I agree, what comes around
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 10:40

My biggest issue with 3-3 game was Willie Collum - Thistle equalised beyond the allotted added on injury time - Collum’s explanation was that he added extra due to an injury in injury time to Ryan Thomson - however, he left Thomson lying on the ground and refused to stop play or allow him treatment so no extra should have been added.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 16:18

As an aside to my post on Roughie, i spent a year working in Peru and every taxi driver always brought up the Peru Scotland game in the world cup and the player they always mentioned was Roughie. A legend in his own lifetime it seems.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 19:10

I couldn't care less about them. A nothing team to me.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 19:15

A nothing club supported by hipsters, students and typical pseudo salt of the earth weegie bin dippers. I look down on them from my ivory black & white tower 😏
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 20:19

Ooft, Zod! Awfy glad I'm no yer neebur, neebur!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wjmcm  
Date:   Tue 24 Sep 10:56

I have a soft spot for them because it was the Pars coming back from 2-0 down to win 4-2 in 1955 that made me a Pars fan - the George Duthie penalties doing the business. Thistle had 2 internationalists in their team.
Went to my first away game in the next round and we lost 7-0 at Airdrie in the snow before a packed house. Won promotion though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Tue 24 Sep 11:10

^^^Remember both those games.
The town was buzzing with Thistle fans that morning.

Next week total deflation in Airdrie so nothing new with being a Pars over the years.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Tue 24 Sep 11:35

Quote:

BigJPar, Sun 22 Sep 18:26

Quote:

My feelings exactly.

You mean the same way that the North West waved money at Rangers fans whilst singing " She wants her money back" the season before.

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 24 Sep 15:02

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Tue 24 Sep 11:35

Quote:

BigJPar, Sun 22 Sep 18:26

Quote:

My feelings exactly.

You mean the same way that the North West waved money at Rangers fans whilst singing " She wants her money back" the season before.

Exactly this. Fitba banter. Pars fans can dish it out but can't take it these days it seems
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Sep 15:57

Reminds me of a waiter with one arm I used to work with.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Sep 17:40

Quote:

General Zod, Tue 24 Sep 15:57

Reminds me of a waiter with one arm I used to work with.

😁😁😁

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: YankeeDollar  
Date:   Tue 24 Sep 18:55

I remember play Partick in the Anglo Scottish Cup. Cannae mind the result.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Tue 24 Sep 19:15

Quote:

YankeeDollar, Tue 24 Sep 18:55

I remember play Partick in the Anglo Scottish Cup. Cannae mind the result.

I remember those games YD. We drew 1 - 1 in the first leg at Firhill and lost 0 - 1 in the second leg at East End. I remember a young Mo Johnston playing at East End (it might even have been him that scored their winning penalty ?)

Post Edited (Tue 24 Sep 19:16)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Sep 22:02

Well, well. Colin Weir and his millions appears to be back in the frame as part of an attempted fans' takeover at Firhill. Looks like this thread could run and run. And maybe my sympathetic OP was a bit premature?

Post Edited (Wed 25 Sep 09:05)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 25 Sep 12:01

Who in their right mind would invest their own money in any Scottish club? Even if I won £500M, the pars would be lucky to see any of it. Just throw your money in the sea if you’re going to do it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 25 Sep 12:39

Miser

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Wed 25 Sep 13:04

Anyone still crying for Thistle now?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 25 Sep 14:11

That guy has already put something like £2.5M into thistle and look where it’s got them. Relegation and bottom of another league. Fool.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Wed 25 Sep 15:02

"That guy has already put something like £2.5M into thistle and look where it’s got them. Relegation and bottom of another league. Fool."

Seeing as how his lottery win was £148m it's perhaps not much more as a percentage of his wealth than many football fans have put into their own clubs! Probably we're all fools!

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 25 Sep 17:35

Investing in a football team doesn't necessarily mean throwing money into an ever growing black hole.
Much of it could be invested in long term things like academies, training pitches etc.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 25 Sep 19:47

I believe that he and his wife have now parted, therefore he has just over 70 million. He seem interested in leading a fans takeover but the existing board seem awkward about this.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 25 Sep 21:19

5-0 down to Celtic reserves just now
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Wed 25 Sep 22:13

If I had that amount of money I would never invest in the club but build an indoor 11 a side pitch with maybe 2x outdoor 11 a side pitches then work down to 9,7,5 and the wee lads 4 a sides.
I would offer the club these facilities at a discount price.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 25 Sep 23:48

Ryan Williamson was back in the side tonight. McCall rated him when he was at the Pars.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 08:14

"5-0 down to Celtic reserves just now"

Not a bad reserve side that, wouldnt mind a reserve with the ability to hit a postage stamp 30 yarder like Ntcham did last night.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 08:55

Puts in perspective our performance in the last round against an arguably a stronger Celtic side.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: