DAFC.net
Home 14 October 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Yes Minister
Topic Originator: Gadgie59  
Date:   Wed 25 Sep 12:57

The parallels between the classic satire "Yes Minister" and the political shenanigans of Scottish Football are striking.

I totally agree though, that sectarianism and religious hatred perpetuated by 'Scottish clubs' is indeed Scotland's shame.

Knowing there's a problem and finding a solution have never been so far apart; so far as I can tell :(

Football is a beautiful game, it saddens me no end that Scotland's football is the source of something so ugly.

“Football is a beautiful game,
It should be played beautifully.”
Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Yes Minister
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Wed 25 Sep 13:18

I'm not sure Scottish clubs do proactively perpetuate sectarian bigotry, rather than football is a vehicle for sectarian bigots to choice their own beliefs.

Look at orange order with halls, members and sadly marches all over the country, or the various Irish nationalist organisations and marches recently taken place.

People will talk about the two Glasgow clubs, and in assuming that's why you had the single quotes in your past, but I've heard more loyalist guff from the mouths of hearts fans than from rangers fans... But don't believe hearts do anything to perpetuate that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jwd1103  
Date:   Wed 25 Sep 23:41

Re the marches - make those marching pay for the policing up front. Why should my taxes get used to for policing these events. As regards freedom of speech - then justify why these marches should go ahead against a march for a legitimate reason. What is the legitimacy for these marches ? I really don't understand why these secetarian/bigotted marches are allowed. Were they marching to celebrate the crusades for example would they be allowed to go ahead ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 10:11

These parades should be allowed - only if taking place early on a Sunday morning in some remote location well away from civilised society, with no publicity.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 10:44

Quote:

veteraneastender, Thu 26 Sep 10:11

These parades should be allowed - only if taking place early on a Sunday morning in some remote location well away from civilised society, with no publicity.

Ah but that would take away their raison d'etre, which is to wind up those on the other side of the sectarian divide.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gadgie59  
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 13:03

Having read Mr Stein (written by Bob Crampsey) and currently reading Jock Stein (written by Archie MacPherson), both describe life in Lanarkshire in the first half of the 20th century; obviously as it pertains to Jock Stein.

Many of the villages of Lanarkshire (and Fife) existed because of the coal mines and even in those days the sectarian divide was an intrinsic part of the community; reinforced at almost every level (mine owners, schools pubs etc).

Both authors make reference to the fact that religious differences disappeared 'underground' - where the working conditions were brutal and truly 'life threatening'. Despite this, the divisions were re-asserted on return to the surface.

The legacy of religious hatred and sectarianism are with us today, but unless those who hold the privilege of influence address the problem it is extremely unlikely that things will change.

Scotland's shame indeed. :(

“Football is a beautiful game,
It should be played beautifully.”
Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 17:22

I would actually say that sectarianism is getting worse - as someone who works in bars and clubs it’s ridiculous how rife it is. For instance in a semi busy pub play Neil Diamonds Sweet Caroline and watch how many sing “F*** the Pope”. And by no means is that the only song - you should see some of the songs that are now banned by some DJs
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 19:38

Quote:

veteraneastender, Thu 26 Sep 10:11

Falkirk?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 26 Sep 19:39

Quote:

ParfectXI, Thu 26 Sep 17:22

I would actually say that sectarianism is getting worse - as someone who works in bars and clubs it’s ridiculous how rife it is. For instance in a semi busy pub play Neil Diamonds Sweet Caroline and watch how many sing “F*** the Pope”. And by no means is that the only song - you should see some of the songs that are now banned by some DJs

The alternative version sung by Celtic fans ends "Buck-fast wine". These eejits are all over social media apps like TikTok singing both versions.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: