DAFC.net
Home 14 October 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Bernardo Silva
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 27 Sep 23:48

So the Portuguese Man City star posted a tweet through the week in which he compared his team mate and friend Benji Mendy to some cartoon character logo from some continental food brand. Now had he been white and the logo character had been white then no more would have been said and that would have been that and some would have probably had a good chuckle over it. However Mendy is black and the logo character is black so Silva is nothing but an ignorant racist who needs punished and educated.
Can intent never be factored into the equation before the outrage mob start having a meltdown?

Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Bernardo Silva
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Sat 28 Sep 06:48

Even John Barnes said it wasn’t racist and he is the head of quality control on racism it seems. However, kick it out said it is racism so Silva is obviously a Nazi. They love a good moan though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Sat 28 Sep 08:09

Zod beat me to it. A non-story in my opinion.

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sat 28 Sep 08:34

While I get the gist of the opening post, the cartoon itself is one that is bourne from racist and colonial stereotypes much in the same way as the Robertson's jam Golly was - complete with big lips and all - and you're simply not going to find a character like that who is white. Was Bernardo being racist? No, probably not. Is he a racist? No, probably not. Is the cartoon character racist? Probably at least in part, yes. Can Bernando say his friend looks like a racist trope in private? Of course. Should he do the same on social media? Of course not. He should be given a slap on the wrist, given some education about these colonial logos etc. but not banned.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sat 28 Sep 09:45

The straight white male is portrayed as a monster no matter what they do these days. It’s ridiculous that Silva is abused for this. Two friends having a laugh together becomes a racism even when Mendy has not taken offence to it. People need to get a grip and learn the difference between a joke and actual racism.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 28 Sep 09:47

Always amazed when white folk say that people should learn what actual racism is...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 28 Sep 10:17

You do realise white folk can be racially abused as well Kelty? There is a big difference between two friends having a joke and a person bullying/offending/hating someone ‘just’ because they are a different colour.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sat 28 Sep 10:34

Aye being a straight white male is impossible right enough.

I'm forever being denied jobs or paid less than my colleagues because of it.

Then there's the history where we were enslaved, denied a vote and legally barred from owning property or falling in love.

And don't talk to me about the fear I feel when a stranger approaches me at night when I'm alone because we all know that straight white males are the real vulnerable ones in that situation.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 28 Sep 11:03

No one said it was impossible but things like what have happened with Silva is just ridiculous and completely over the top. It shouldn’t have even been brought to the media’s attention.

I’ve been denied plenty of jobs for whatever reason and I have colleagues (who I would admit) are better at my job who are paid more than me.

The world has evolved massively since those days back when racism and sexism was rife, but that was a long time ago now. That doesn’t make it right but the UK especially is a much different place than back then.

Anyone would feel fear in that position. The last thing anyone wants is a random person approaching them in the middle of the night, whether it be innocently or to cause trouble.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Sat 28 Sep 11:32

You hit the nail on the head OP. If I say my mate looks like a white cartoon character, nobody says anything. If I say my other mate looks like a black cartoon character, I am racist, a Nazi, right-wing, a Rangers fan, etc etc.

Total guff.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 28 Sep 12:14

Racism is intent.
If no intent was made and no offence taken then it isn't racism.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 28 Sep 12:50

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Sat 28 Sep 12:14

Racism is intent.
If no intent was made and no offence taken then it isn't racism.

100% this

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Sat 28 Sep 13:05

I’m white with German heritage. I’ve been called a nazi and German ba*tard. Was this racism?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sat 28 Sep 13:35

I've called the Queen's late uncle a Nazi B*sta*Rd. That wasn't racist that was the truth!

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 28 Sep 14:31

"You hit the nail on the head OP. If I say my mate looks like a white cartoon character, nobody says anything. If I say my other mate looks like a black cartoon character, I am racist, a Nazi, right-wing, a Rangers fan, etc etc.

Total guff."

The only guff here is the stuff you're coming out with. Comparing a black man to a black cartoon character (say Carl from The Simpsons, or Cleveland from Family Guy) is not racist. Comparing a black man to a cartoon that appears to be a colonialist representation of people with big lips etc. is racist. It's fairly simple.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: HalbeathRoad  
Date:   Sat 28 Sep 16:30

2019 and people still don’t know what racism is . That’s the tragedy. Educated people from a white privileged society determining what’s racist. I’m mixed race I know what racism is. Real racism . Don’t class this as racism ffs. Bernardo Silva didn’t send this with hate in his heart.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 28 Sep 18:38

Exactly, why can't we have a bit of honest fun with our friends without the PC mob having a meltdown. According to genetic science we are all from the same small group of people, probably the same two people, chromosomal Adam and mitochondrial Eve, I'm told. So the skin colour of our brothers and sisters is only skin deep, rejoice in the diversity.

Post Edited (Sat 28 Sep 18:39)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 13:13

He's now been charged by the FA:

"The FA said: “It is alleged that the Manchester City player’s activity breaches FA Rule E3(1) as it was insulting and/or improper and/or brought the game into disrepute. It is further alleged that the activity constitutes an ‘Aggravated Breach’, which is defined in FA Rule E3(2), as it included reference, whether expressed or implied, to race and/or colour and/or ethnic origin.”

Mendy has written to the FA defending Silva so interesting to see what happens.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 13:15

surely the bigger issue here is that the Conguitos logo is a racist trope?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 16:21

Absolute joke. Liverpool will be absolutely loving this one . He could be out for 6 games. How long did John Terry get again ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 16:24

Embarrassing stuff. Person it was aimed at found it amusing, but someone else gets offended on his behalf so the book gets thrown at Silva. Hate using the terms but the world really has become a pathetic state with this crap. Having to tip-toe everywhere to avoid offending somebody
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 16:47

notice news think its "okay" to share the tweet potentially then "causing further offence" when reporting on the "racist behaviour"

The other tweet where MEndy is in a black top/shorts and Silva asks why he is walking around naked is more "racist" however banter between friends is allowed.

I sat in a dressing room in plean, no electrcity and unable to see anything at all when getting ready and the only person making jokes about not being able to see the black player in the team... The blackman himself.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 17:05

Quote:

Playup_Pompey, Wed 2 Oct 16:47

I sat in a dressing room in plean, no electrcity and unable to see anything at all when getting ready and the only person making jokes about not being able to see the black player in the team... The blackman himself.

Remember a few times he quite rightly went absolutely ballistic when someone from an opposition team made racial remarks.Those remarks were made with malice.

It's all about intent and there should be no case to answer here for Silva.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 20:29

Topic Originator: Bandy like | nolike
Date: Wed 2 Oct 13:15

surely the bigger issue here is that the Conguitos logo is a racist trope?

Without doubt Bandy

We are in a sad state of affairs when a pal cannot have a bit of fun with another pal..... I can see the funny side to it ..... would it have made the headlines if both were white ?.... I think not ..... It was a genuine jolly jape and cannot believe it has been taken so seriously
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 20:30

oops posted twice gettin auld :-)

Post Edited (Wed 02 Oct 20:31)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JimMcDAFC  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 20:59

If he does get suspended i would think it would only galvanize City to even greater efforts so I don't think Liverpool will gain any advantage probably the opposite.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parak obama  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 21:37

Don't believe there was any intent but it doesn't help that the two pictures have no resemblance.

'Pep comments on Mendy under scrutiny'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11825521

[IMG]http://share2.co.uk/f/1152_471_P300411_16.49_[02].jpg[/IMG]
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 21:59

Sinister forces intent on assisting Liverpool’s first premier league title ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 18:39

Quote:

HalbeathRoad, Wed 2 Oct 21:59

Sinister forces intent on assisting Liverpool’s first premier league title ?

You sound like a frustrated Man U fan, HR.

Back on topic, the whole thing is quite farcical. No complaint received, quite the opposite, but the PC brigade press on anyhow....

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: