DAFC.net
Home 14 October 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Anyone going or been to Moscow.
Topic Originator: Nippy Sweetie  
Date:   Mon 30 Sep 12:18

Six from Rosyth going next week to watch Scotland....A city I never expected to visit. So apart from going to the game. Great to see a bit of history. Cheap enough to get to, tourist visa was as much as flights and that was tick box 2 mins job when handed over...Any advice or things to do would be appreciated..We are not feathers and badges, just same group that go to all the games and treat people and city with respect...Our group arriving spread out at different airports.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anyone going or been to Moscow.
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Mon 30 Sep 12:42

St Basil's cathedral is the most beautiful price of architecture I have ever seen with my own eyes - you have to see it!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 30 Sep 13:00

Pretty sure Sammer can help in this one!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Mon 30 Sep 13:05

5 of us going Tuesday to Saturday
A few others doing Saturday to Saturday but they are going to St Petersburg first
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Mon 30 Sep 16:23

I visited St Petersburg when I was on a cruise. The buildings are beautiful, however I made a tour guide angry. She kept telling us which leader built them, I asked her who actually built them, that stunned her so I then asked her was it slaves. She responded that they didn't have any slaves in Russia, I responded that most of the people that did the work were serfs and serf is an other name for a slave as they owned by the rich. So the moral of my story is don't ask deep questions just enjoy the sights.

matt forsyth

Post Edited (Mon 30 Sep 16:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Mon 30 Sep 16:28

Been many times .You will love the Russian culture abd friendliness .Dont believe all the crap your here .I have worked and lived in this part of the World maybe 12 yrs and loved every miniute .Enjoy .
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 30 Sep 16:31

"I visited St Petersburg when I was on a cruise. The buildings are beautiful, however I made a tour guide angry. She kept telling us which leader built them, I asked her who actually built them, that stunned her so I then asked her was it slaves. She responded that they didn't have any slaves in Russia, I responded that most of the people that did the work were serfs and serf is an other name for a slave as they owned by the rich. So the moral of my story is don't ask deep questions just enjoy the sights."

Absolutely correct.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/st-petersburg-paris-of-the-north-or-city-of-bones-6096004.html

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Mon 30 Sep 16:37

As JC says St Basil’s is a must but as it’s on Red Square most tourist attractions are close by: Kremlin, Lenin Mausoleum, Gum department store etc.
Also, take a ride on the underground. Wonderful architecture in the stations.
Just be careful around station entrances.

Quite a few Irish bars if my memory serves me right.

A while since I’ve been but always better to pre book taxis rather than some dodgy pick up in the street. Bit more expensive but much safer.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Mon 30 Sep 21:28

Most people who visit Moscow come away pleasantly surprised, since there is so much negative coverage in the UK media. The city is little different in terms of shops and amenities than any other European capital with its giant shopping malls, McDonalds, KFC and Starbucks. The centre is pricey of course and although you will find an Irish Bar quite easily you can be charged up to £5-50 for a pint. Better to stumble into some small Café/Bar- there is no real bar drinking tradition in Moscow- where the prices are a bit more reasonable. Officially drinking outside in public places is banned, but since beer is not really considered alcoholic in Moscow I think you might get some leeway being visiting football supporters. You should be able to get a shot of vodka (50g) for around £2. Cigarettes are only around £2.20 for a packet of 20 so you might want to take a ‘block’ of 10 packets back home. This is the autumn so temperatures are a little sharper than in Scotland; the forecast is for around 7C on the evening of the game so I’d recommend a decent jersey and jacket although the air is not so damp as in Scotland. Moscow is a flat city with little wind and it rains but rarely.

The match is scheduled for 2145 to fit in with European time which is two hours behind. The Metro is one of the best systems in the world: you can travel across the city for 50 pence and the trains arrive every 2 minutes. Since the WC last year the signs are written in English alphabet as well. If in doubt, follow the colour of the line you need to change to. The Metro closes at 1am in the morning but they have extended the hours when there are matches taking place in the past. Taxis can be a problem especially at the airports if you are a foreigner, for the rank drivers are sharks on wheels. Use Yandex if you can, and identify the exit number where you want picked up; the telephonists often speak enough English. As a rough calculation divide roubles by 100 to get the cost in GBP. The two main airports have an Express rail shuttle which takes you near to the centre and is reasonably priced; don’t throw your ticket away like I did once for you need it to exit the barrier on arrival.

Moscow is a well policed city especially in central areas and the locals know that police or security guards will move in fast if there is trouble. We Scots have the advantage that we generally don’t like to draw attention to ourselves, don’t sneer at the natives and don’t offer false smiles, habits well respected in these parts. English fans ran into trouble 10 years back when they tried to take over the main street and got chased for their trouble, as happened again in France in 2016, so the Russian football ultras see the English as fair game. But Man Utd and Chelsea had no problems when they were here and if Russians see you are ‘Shotlandski’ they just grin and ask where your skirt and bagpipes are. It’s an international city with a fair proportion of Asians and people from the Caucuses plus a sprinkling of Africans so they are used to foreigners. Don’t expect service with a smile for Russians are a hard, direct lot but once they judge you are genuine they will warm to you very quickly.

As for places to visit, Lonely Planet would be as good as me for advice. However the Metro is the heartbeat of the city and its recent history can be found in these underground museums, some shabby, some palatial. Mayakovskya Metro is almost an art gallery whist Ploshad Revolution is a testament to Soviet propaganda. St. Basil’s next to the Kremlin is a lovely sight, more so than the old public execution pit which still stands in front of it. The eternal flames which burn for each ‘Hero City’that helped defeat Naziism are marshalled by stone faced sentries straight from central casting. 80% of the Wehrmacht was killed by the Red Army and the Russians will be quick to remind you of who did most of the fighting back then. On a more cheerful note if tall, blond, blue-eyed women are to your taste then the journey will not have been wasted whatever the result.

Key words.
Mozhna- I would like
Skolka- How much?
Spaseeba- Thanks
Peeva- Beer Vodka, whisky and bar just the same words in Russian.
Gdye- Where is?

Just point for the rest, like I do.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Nippy Sweetie  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 10:26

Thanks to everyone for feedback...Have a wee sports bar 2 mins from hotel..So a 1990 Pars shirt for them...This is the one trip where proper look around is called for.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 10:45

On the taxi front do they do the thing they do in St Peterburg where you can just walk along with your hand down and your thumb out and a random punter will stop and pick you up?

It was about 9 years ago I was there but 200 notes got you anywhere in the City.

I did it once when i was steaming and thought i was lost and the boy drove me round the corner 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 12:15

Not sure if anyone follows but Russia vs Scotland in the RWC is due to be played on Wednesday morning when we are over. Sure there be a few bars etc with good atmosphere.

Be a pretty sedate one for us as we get in early hours then a 1/2 day Kremlin tour organised for the afternoon. Thur be relatively light in terms of activities with it being matchday, usual 5/6mile run to see a bit of the city on foot ion morning of the game. Friday we plan on just unlimited travel ticket on metro service and pop on and off at stations just to look around and find our own way around some of the other tourist sites.

Post Edited (Tue 01 Oct 13:32)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 13:30

Sammer, I’ve sent you an email.

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 23:49

I believe Trump might be heading that way soon. Don't think he will return to face jail though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 09:55

Good contingent of the Trailblazers going
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: