DAFC.net
Home 14 October 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Shankland to be named in Scotland Squad
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 11:23

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49893529?fbclid=IwAR27qCPlRaelCn6gxf0I4ZcgA9bbkT5y2FuHyHlPhHjix5gAAIbijDt39wM

Dundee United's Lawrence Shankland will be rewarded for his sparkling start to the season with a call-up for Scotland's Euro 2020 qualifiers against Russia and San Marino.

Shankland, 24, has scored 13 times in seven Scottish Championship games since signing from Ayr United.

He will become the first second-tier player to be called up since John McGinn - then at Hibernian - in 2017.

Sheffield United's John Fleck will also be named in Steve Clarke's squad.

Shankland scores three in United romp
Who could Clarke call-up for Scotland?
Scotland handed potential Wembley date
Fleck, 28, will receive a third senior international call-up after some impressive performances for Premier League newcomers Sheffield United.

He was set to feature against Cyprus and Belgium in June but was unavailable because he was getting married.

Scotland visit Russia on 10 October and host San Marino three days later.

However, it has been reported that Arsenal defender Kieran Tierney will not be involved after missing Monday's draw with Manchester United.

Tierney, 22, has played just once since moving from Celtic in a £25m deal in August after having undergone a double-hernia operation in May.

Scotland are fifth in Group I after two wins and four defeats in their opening six games, with Russia on 15 points in second place - three behind Belgium.

However, even though their chances of qualification through the group have faded, they can still make the finals via next year's play-offs after winning their Uefa Nations League group last year.

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Shankland to be named in Scotland Squad
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 11:38

The gap between the Scottish Championship and international football is huge but the next two games are pretty meaningless and we have no prolific strikers available.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: d3monstrate  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 12:03

I think it's worth a go... We have loads of creative play in that team, but are lacking an out and out goalscorer.

When we had Kris Boyd and Jordan Rhodes banging them in, we lacked the creative side and required someone who could hold up the ball and bring others into the game. Since we are done for anyway, we can at least try it.

Kudos to Clarke for willing to give it a go.

Unfortunately defense still looks like a sieve, so we will just need to go for it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 12:07

" the next two games are pretty meaningless and we have no prolific strikers available."

in the wider view the next 2 (actually 4) games are the most crucial in terms of breeding a bond/understanding in the squad and get a team gelled ahead of a vital playoff.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 12:18

Good on the kid, I hope he gets a start, he deserves it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 12:50

Good on him.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 13:02

Let's face it he can only add to the limited striking options we have! Good on the lad. He's on fire just now and deserves his chance

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndBoy  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 13:13

We could, have and will do a lot worse.

No issues with his inclusion at all. His form over the last 18 months is no fluke.

...ken?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 13:36

A sad indictment of the lack of striking option that he is getting a call up. Scores loads at a low level in a team that provide him with tonnes of chances per game. Almost the exact opposite of a Scotland team where we need all round forwards who have pace, strength, defensive discipline and who might have to make the chance (not even plural) for themselves. Strikers who only score goals don't tend to do well for us (think of Boyd or Rhodes for exanple) and I'm not expecting much from him in these two games should he get a game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Postage Stamp  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 13:45

No matter how meaningless these games are, this adds to the value of an already impressive asset for Dundee Utd, especially should he find the net against San Marino. Can see him finally getting a big move at the end of this year, I still can't believe he ended up at United and not at a bigger team this summer.

The gift of the Gabby
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 13:49

Kelty...
That's the spirit... Shoot the guy doon in flames afore he's even trained wi the squad 🤣
You may be proved right... But he might just surprise you and prove you wrong. Just give him a chance.
He's no worse than any other current striker in the national side.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 15:55

If he plays well and scores for the national team he will be sold by Dundee Utd for a sizable sum.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 16:29

He’ll be off to Celtic or rangers soon enough anyway. This is just getting him ready for something bigger. Just like John mcginn.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 18:02

Quote:

widtink, Tue 1 Oct 13:49

Kelty...
That's the spirit... Shoot the guy doon in flames afore he's even trained wi the squad 🤣
You may be proved right... But he might just surprise you and prove you wrong. Just give him a chance.
He's no worse than any other current striker in the national side.

Some folk just don't do positive

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 18:47

I've got no ill will towards Shankland but I agree with Kelty on this one. If he turns out to be international class and goes on to have a decent Scotland career I'll be the first person to hold my hands up, admit I was wrong and congratulate the lad but I cant help but feel this shows just how lacking we are up front.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: HalbeathRoad  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 19:21

What a shame he was punted oot by AJ . Doesn’t look good does it ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FA1968  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 19:22

To be fair, if we had dalgliesh, Jordan, Nicholas, mo Johnson available he wouldn't be getting a sniff, we haven't so he is getting a crack.

Good on him and I hope he takes his chance.

It does show how much we are lacking in quality in this era though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 19:30

Quote:

HalbeathRoad, Tue 1 Oct 19:21

What a shame he was punted oot by AJ . Doesn’t look good does it ?

He was punted cos he was rank rotten and fine you know it.
He has grown into a decent striker but he wasn't back then

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 19:43

Rank Rotten ? Come on . AJ clearly didn’t have a clue there. The financial costs of stuff like this are felt down the line. A great opportunity passed up .
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: d3monstrate  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 19:47

Wasnt he here just on loan?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 20:13

Think the Pars have a recent history trend of poor players leaving us to go onto become great elsewhere.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 20:20

To be fair he has totally changed from back then. Lost a load of weight then added back a fair bit of muscle mass, different type of striker now.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 20:21

I can't remember there ever being a question of him staying into the next season when he left us. He might even have played for Aberdeen before going on loan somewhere else later on. Nothing to do with AJ.

I thought he was overrated by many here at the time, but equally some are being a bit harsh now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 20:31

He was on trial and ended up at Ayr.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 20:35

Why are some of you turning a positive post by Connor560 into a cheap shot at AJ and the club
The Laddie deserves a chance and what an honour for him and his family a Scottish cap...... I wish him all the best
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 20:36

I don’t remember many people looking for him to stay after his stint with us - hindsight is a great thing - Ian MacCall has to take credit for getting him to sort out his fitness.

Hopefully he’ll have a great understanding with Andy Robertson - they played together at Queen’s Park.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 21:22

I really hope he does well for Scotland. We need all the help we can get.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 21:50

The young lad is a great goal scorer and deserves his Scotland call up no matter what league he plays in.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 22:04

"He was on trial and ended up at Ayr"

who were in League 1 while we were in the Championship with Clark and McManus as the front 2, if he had signed in a tougher league with probably limited opportunities would he be where he is now? no chance.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 22:56

A lot of if's and but's. When he was here he didn't really do much and I don't recall much excitement when he was here on trial. He is a different beast now though. He has worked on his game and physically has turned into a decent specimen. Just shows what a decent manager like McCall can do to help develop players. If he had come here, it's probably more likely he would have underachieved, stagnated, had his confidence shot to falkirk by our fans and eventually been released to join Raith, than found himself in the Scotland squad
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 23:19

Believe he was doing some PT work as an extra on top of Ayr training and he now looks a lot fitter and sharper.

Good luck to the lad. Do I think he is international quality right now? No. Is it doing any harm in an almost meaningless round of games? Absolutely not.

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Tue 1 Oct 23:26

I remember the wails of discontent on here when Shankland was on trial after his poor stints at St Mirren and Morton. I remember the gleeful proclamations when he left and signed for Ayr. The reality is for a lot of players at this level, that the right attitude and a bit of luck and quality in their development can make huge differences to a players end product. That, and the right kind of coaching/management....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 13:39

To be fair rossmcno1, he was nowhere near the level he is at now when he was on trial with us. He had a decent loan spell with us but never really kicked on until Ayr signed him. Ayr and McCall deserve massive credit helping him become the player he is today. It was perhaps the kick up the backside he needed as well. I don’t think he would be at this level if he did sign for us. We don’t seem to have the ability to get the very best out of players for some reason.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 14:10

It wouldn't have anything to do with the impatience of our fans, would it?

My recollection is that Shankland had some fitness issues when he was here and did not get a whole lot of service when healthy.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 15:57

I remember him as a great poacher, he very rarely missed a chance when it came.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 15:59

Scored 7 in 14 with us when he was on loan - sure i read earlier he was 63 goals in 71 games for Ayr which is incredible

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 16:11

He had that eye for goal when he came to us, it was just the physical side and link up play that was lacking. As others have said he made the correct choices in his career in stepping down to league 1 with Ayr, developing his ability and physicality and making progressions towards where he is now. Not saying the same sort of thing would've happened, but Faissal is the alternative image of making the wrong decision at a critical point in his career. Whether with us or someone else, he should've developed in the championship while his confidence and ability was still sky high before taking that step up to the premiership.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 16:24

It’s absolutely scandalous we let this one slip through our fingers but I suppose it really sums up the utter car crash our club has become these past few years.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 17:16

Quote:

HalbeathRoad, Wed 2 Oct 16:24

It’s absolutely scandalous we let this one slip through our fingers but I suppose it really sums up the utter car crash our club has become these past few years.

Slight over reaction- he was nowhere near the player he is now when he was here. No one would have had him ahead of McManus or Clark. He has gone away, worked hard, and is now reaping the benefits
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 17:24

There are way more players went on to lower leagues than there has stepped up to a higher level.
No one has the insight if a kid is going on to better things, Halbeath Road I am glad your not a Chelsea fan, Imagine how much you would be going off yer nut about Chelsea letting
Kevin De Bruyne slip through thier fingers

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 17:26

He still had three years of his contract with Aberdeen to run when he was with us on loan. Aberdeen were obviously trying to develop him at that stage so it's difficult to see how we could have signed him, even if we'd wanted to. He subsequently went on loan to St Mirren and Morton.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 17:30

Quote:

You're trying too hard... Give it up 🤣

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 18:22

Quote:

The car crash happened when we went into admin.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 18:58

He was on trial at a later stage than when he was on loan with us but was carrying weight at the time and wasn't a great trainer according to an interview I heard with Jim Duffy who was his manager at Morton. McCall took a chance on him and obviously managed to get him to apply himself.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 19:03

SHANKLANDS RECORD

Queens Park…………………. 14 in 43
Pars………………………………. 7 in 14
Aberdeen………………………. 0 in 17
St Mirren……………………….. 14 in 55
Morton…………………………… 4 in 18
Ayr Utd…………………………… 61 in 73
Dundee Utd……………………. 15 in 12
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 19:39

I wouldn’t say so USMac. Ayr fans aren’t the most patient either. Matter of fact, not many Scottish fans are! I would put it down to the quality of coaching.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 20:53

Chelsea letting KDB go was an absolutely criminal decision and I bet there isn’t a day goes by that a chelsea fan doesn’t punch themselves in the face over this .
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Wed 2 Oct 20:58

I hope he does well.
We have a big problem up top and he could be the answer as that 20 million pound McBurnie is brutal.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ronaldo  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 10:58

"McBurnie is brutal"

He's a player who, quite literally, needs to pull his socks up.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 11:24

A huge chunk of McBurnie's fee is the result of the fact that he's classed as 'home grown' for the PL squads
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 16:11

Shankland was literally nothing special when he was with us and nowhere near as good as Clarke or McManus. Some amount of revisionist dribble on this thread. Ayr made him the player he is
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: