DAFC.net
Home 14 October 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 CL - Love it or Loathe it?
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 07:25

Raymie commented on another thread that he can't understand the general apathy towards the CL on this forum.

Well of course, not everybody has BT Sport but I've read various comments as to why some folk refuse to watch any CL games, mostly to do with the obscene levels of money at the top end of the game, because it's the same teams every year or because many of the teams are not the champions in their own country, etc.

None of these reasons make any sense to me. I pick and watch games when I can, because I enjoy watching the elite players in world football going head to head. I don't always see a great game, but even poor games can have brilliant moments. I still follow the Pars through thick and thin, but the CL is always a welcome distraction.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: CL - Love it or Loathe it?
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 08:14

I don't have BT sports... And I've no intention of forking out for it either.
If it was on council TV I'd certainly still watch it.
No point in getting upset about the obscene levels of money in the game IMHO... It is what it is and it ain't gonna change anytime soon.
It does seem to me to be a bit bloated these days with teams that aren't champions also being in it... But at least it gives the non champions (say Liverpool) a shot at glory.
It would be interesting to find out how many non champions (at domestic level) have won the CL compared to champions for comparison.
I'm sure someone will know.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 08:33

It’s monotonous, it’s on too late for me personally and anything we have to keep being reminded of how great it is usually isn’t. Looking at you premier league.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 08:33

If I am watching it is usually a UK team, I have no intrest in watching an Italian team versus a German team.
I also believe if you win your national league you should automatically qualify for the group stages. if UEFA want 4 teams from 1 country in tournaments it should be the 2nd , 3rd and 4th placed teams playing qualifying rounds

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 09:11

I have bt sport but only because I have a bt mobile sim and it comes with that... I have to plug in laptop to telly to view on big screen
...but still don't really go out of my way to watch it. I suppose its because I don't support an EPL, Serie A, La Liga team so have no real desire in watching foreign club teams.

Perhaps it's the law of diminishing returns?
but feel like I watch enough football and other sports to not really need another competition to add to the list

Post Edited (Thu 03 Oct 09:12)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: southsidejonny  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 09:29

Best football competition in the world. Champagne football and a nice change from the bread and butter stuff we watch in Scotland.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 09:30

I don't understand how people who consider themselves fans of football can't enjoy watching the champions league.

Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 09:35

I can't watch the games as I don't have BT sport
I sit and watch the Teleprinter :-)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 09:57

I'm somewhere in between. I go to the games so I obviously don't hate it but for me there's a fair bit wrong with it:

This might sound petty but it's not a tournament for champions so it shouldn't be called the Champions League. The name is a branding exercise.

Following on from the above I don't think it's fair that some countries get 4 CL places and others just get one.

In the countries where there are only 1 or 2 teams that qualify for the CL, the revenue from the CL helps to solidify those teams dominance in their respective leagues. Celtic is an obvious example but there are others through Europe. That helps distort domestic competition and perpetuates the same teams qualifying each year which in turn leads to more repetitive fixtures.

On top of that the seeding system aims to get the "big teams" through to the money making group stages so TV audiences and advertising revenues are bigger. Some teams that finish 4th in their domestic league have a better chance of making the group stages than the Champions of a smaller league.

The group pot splits for TV and/or political reasons and seeding throw up quite a few repetitive fixtures in the group stages which is boring. Again the seeding aims to get as many of the big teams into the knockout stages.

UEFA as an organisation are scum bags. Participating in the tournament makes them money which gies me the dry boak (but yes I still go and I watch it on TV so maybe I'm a massive hypocrite).

I might be getting my knickers in a twist about nothing as its obviously not the case at the moment but some of the rumoured changes to the CL would be horrific. 32 teams with 8 relegated from the groups would pretty much stitch up the competition for the big sides and it would be worse than it is now. I might well stop watching it as a tournament if it happens.

On balance, it is Europe's premier club competition and it does throw up some outstanding games between outstanding teams but it's not all good IMO and it might very well get worse if the proposed changes come through.

Oh and BT are *****.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 12:55

I went through a few seasons of thinking it was boring and predictable but the last two years have been pretty exciting. I've got BT and I do watch a game on both nights when it's CL week.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 13:59

Have bt sports and honestly prefer the games that Don't involve any British teams. Some of the best games have been between the other top leagues with the Seria A, Bundesliga and Liga Santander. I have MOTD and the misery of going to EEP if I want to watch British football. I know BT have prevented many from viewing it but in some ways, it's a far better viewing experience, better cameras used, better pundits, can watch every single game if you're online. ITV sport coverage honestly makes me want to dry heave with how bad the resolution is, their website is a disgrace and their pundits are the usual tools who will cream themselves over anything British and generally have next to no knowledge about foreign teams outside a top player or 2
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 14:08

Being one of the over 65s but not getting an OAP pension is financially tight for me. Therefore my journey to EEP once a fortnight is my Forte. BBC Scotland is another source of football. Perhaps the football on BT and SKY is better but it is now to expensive for me to watch.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 15:12

Got to be honest when it comes to pundits on BT I dont mind Lineker as the host and quite a few of the commentators are ok but the co commentator and panels tend to be abysmal. Half the time Rio Ferdinand says something and everyone else just agrees with him. At least the Sky pundits actually disagree with each other and give different insights.

I also feel like they decrease the quality of the SD signal to get you to pay more for the HD.

I hadn't noticed anything particularly different about their camera angles so even if its true that they're better I cant say it's made my viewing pleasure any better.

I'm always really disappointed when a game I want to watch is on BT.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 15:19

I agree with your comments about the pundits LFP. Savage is awful and Michael Owen has to be the dullest co-commentator ever.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 15:26

Those two are particularly bad but they're almost all bad. Even the potentially likeable ones like Joleon Lescott and Owen Hargreaves can talk without providing any decent insight or opinion.

McManaman makes me want to Van Gogh both my ears and I'm sick of listening to Rio Ferdinand say that rules are written by "people that have never played the game" after every time he's had to be corrected for not actually knowing the rules of the game he played and is now summarising. Certainly not his fault for not knowing his @rse from his elbow.

Post Edited (Thu 03 Oct 15:31)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 15:50

Sky better than BT? Really? Sky's coverage of Scottish football was some of the worst, Old firm focused garbage I've ever seen. The Standard def pics on BT are totally fine unless your Internet speed just isn't fast enough and the 4k is great (and this is coming from someone who really doesn't like BT or their services)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FA1968  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 17:05

The cl and it's riches for those that make it there are one of the reasons why there is such a gulf at the top of domestic leagues, making domestic football less competitive.

Administers by greedy people for greedy people.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 17:13

The standard def pics might be fine on the internet but they're crap on my middle of the road TV and a few others I've seen. The HD online is also immaculate but I dont watch games on the laptop unless I have no other option.

I've never been blown away by anyones coverage of the Scottish football but Sutton, Stewart, Craigan, McCoist and Hartson aren't particularly good. Sutton and Stewart are particularly excruciating.

Currie the presenter is decent though and deserves better.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 18:36

Some excellent posts on this thread. A couple of points :-

1. You don't need to have BT Sport to watch either the CL or EL. I believe you can stream it if someone who has it gives you their login.

2. You can dislike the whole CL setup but still enjoy watching the best players in the world in action without feeling like a hypocrite.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 20:20

Quote:

GG Riva, Thu 3 Oct 18:36

Some excellent posts on this thread. A couple of points :-

1. You don't need to have BT Sport to watch either the CL or EL. I believe you can stream it if someone who has it gives you their login.

2. You can dislike the whole CL setup but still enjoy watching the best players in the world in action without feeling like a hypocrite.

Just get Mobdro and stream it. Personally, I have never watched a whole CL game. No interest in the competition. It's all fixed in favour of the large clubs.

Every champion of their leagues should be in the league stage. All the other 2nd 3rd or 4th should have to compete to get in. That will never happen of course because it's not about champions it's about money.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 22:40

It's fixed, but yes 7-2 game or whatever is thrilling anyway.

Personally I watch WC and Euro games religiously, but CL haven't for years, so watching the best players is great, but watching a made up club like PSG thrashing the $!/% out of real teams with no chance like Celtic or Brugges or whatever isn't for me

Money IS part of football's dynamic (which makes a Burnley fan different to a Man U fan, and Burnley can beat Man U adding to the joy of football)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Thu 3 Oct 23:40

I don't particularly dislike it, I just have no interest in it. My football-watching capacity is quite limited, so I use it on the football I really care about, i.e. watching the Pars. I have other things to occupy most of my weekday evenings that I'm more interested in and consider more worthwhile, so watching football of any kind doesn't get much consideration.

When it was possible to see it on ITV I did sometimes watch it casually in the background but now that that's no longer the case, the competition might as well not exist. One game a week with the occasional midweek game is OK, but I'm just not someone who wants to watch 2-3 games every week.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Fri 4 Oct 00:36

loved watching it and europa league but when greed got too much with stopping them on normal tv havent seen it since would never pay robbers sky or bt

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Fri 4 Oct 07:22

I don't have BT Sport and ,frankly,don't miss the CL or EL.

Let me give you a Maltese viewpoint.Quelle Surprise!

In the old days,teams from Malta could meet a giant of European Football in an early round .They got slaughtered,of course,but the interest generated was fantastic.Today you meet many middle aged Maltese who talk with pride of the day they played at Barcelona,Celtic,Manchester Utd,Inter Milan,Bayern Munich,Ajax etc.

Today it is a success if Valletta or Hibs or Sliema Wanderers reach the 2nd Qualifying Round as Birkirkara did at Hearts!!

I enjoy BBC Scotland "Sportscene" with the banter of Michael Stewart,Steven Thomson and Jonathan Sutherland.I also like SKY Sports coverage and Jeff Stelling giving us score flashes.Especially if Hartlepool score!

CL and EL hold few attractions ,given I can watch Scotland Internationals and the World Cup and see the best players then eg Belgium recently.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Fri 4 Oct 08:10

The teleprinter..another blast from the past from Buspasspar!

I well remember a certain Saturday in 1966 struggling up from my flu sick bed to see the results come clattering through on the telly...Dunfermline Athletic 5, YES! Hibernian..pause..6(six)..groan, relapse!

Post Edited (Fri 04 Oct 08:12)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Oct 09:37

Topic Originator: Mario like | nolike
Date: Fri 4 Oct 08:10

The teleprinter..another blast from the past from Buspasspar!

I well remember a certain Saturday in 1966 struggling up from my flu sick bed to see the results come clattering through on the telly...Dunfermline Athletic 5, YES! Hibernian..pause..6(six)..groan, relapse!

I was at that game Mario Hibs were 4-0 up

Aye the good old teleprinter the scores were typed out in random order as each game finished and the result was phoned in
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Oct 10:09

I saw an interview with Pat Stanton recently, lots of reminiscing on days of yore.
He mentioned that game, Fergie still moans to him about a goal of his that should have been given.
“But Fergie, it didnae hit the net, it’s no a goal if it disnae hit the net!”
Ring any bells?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: southsidejonny  
Date:   Fri 4 Oct 12:42

Mario it was a goal. It was a yard over the line. Still remember it like it was yesterday! Can't remember what I did this morning though!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Oct 14:36

Ta..not like Fergie to moan without good reason!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Oct 15:54

Quote:

southsidejonny, Fri 4 Oct 12:42

Mario it was a goal. It was a yard over the line. Still remember it like it was yesterday! Can't remember what I did this morning though!

I was also at the game. In those days, we'd swap ends at half-time to be behind the goals the Pars were attacking. Like Jonny and hundreds of other Pars fans at the Cowden end, I was convinced we'd completed an amazing comeback in injury time.

Buspass remembers Hibs were 4-0 up. That was at half-time. We got it back to 2-4 before Hibs added a 5th. The Pars then scored 3 times in the last 15 mins to tie it up at 5-5. When the ref failed to award Fergie's last gasp goal, the Pars players surrounded him in protest. The Hibs keeper booted the ball up over half way and Colin Stein ran unchallenged, rounded our goalie and rolled it into the empty net......

The deep sense of injustice continues to burn.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Oct 19:23

LOL GG that is how I remember it as well can mind when we got to 5-5 a small contingent me included ran onto the corner of the pitch beneath the main stand away end the joy was short lived tho
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: