DAFC.net
Home 14 October 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 What if?
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 07:36

I didn't make it to Cappielow yesterday, but by all accounts it was a poor game, between two struggling teams. I can understand the anger and frustration experienced by Pars fans at the game and on Dotnet last night.

Perspective is everything. Had the game petered out to a 0-0 draw, most folk would have moaned about the quality of football on offer but accepted that a point away from home is a decent result and takes us on to 3 games without defeat. Lots of positives, in other words.

What if Morton had scored with 5 mins to go and the Pars had equalised with the last kick of the game? It's not difficult to imagine that the vast majority of Pars fans at the game would have been in a much happier mood on the way home. And yet, the final score would have been exactly the same.

Perspective, eh? I wonder how the Morton fans felt after the game? Pretty happy, I'll bet, even though the Pars dented - and almost shattered - their 100% home record......

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What if?
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 08:31

Your Auntie had testicles ......

It’s the same posters who accept mediocrity all the time. It’s simply not good enough, it was supposed to be inconsistent, good one week, poor the next, it’s utter dross full stop. From play-off potential to relegation battles is where we’ve got to, unacceptable.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: livipar2  
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 08:48

Perspective and Pars fans??? Hahaha do me a favour.

Mon the Pars!!!!!!!!!!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 09:47

Quote:

Westies squint kicks, Sun 6 Oct 08:31

Your Auntie had testicles ......

It’s the same posters who accept mediocrity all the time. It’s simply not good enough, it was supposed to be inconsistent, good one week, poor the next, it’s utter dross full stop. From play-off potential to relegation battles is where we’ve got to, unacceptable.

Define "mediocrity", Westie. If you're a fan of Liverpool or Man City, you'd regard all Scottish football as being mediocre. A fan of Albion Rogers or Stirling Albion, would probably see us as quite a decent team.

We have been inconsistent this season, but the poor performances have outweighed the good ones. You imply they should be split 50-50. It's unfair to suggest that some posters accept mediocrity, as if we were happy to watch poor performances but some of us understand that there's no easy way out. Changing the manager is no guarantee that the team will suddenly go surging up the table.

Many posters think we missed the chance to bring in Ian McCall, who they felt was the best manager in the Championship and would have jumped at the chance to manage the Pars. Maybes aye, maybes naw. I'll be watching Partick's results with interest this season. Won 1 lost 1 so far - as have Ayr - which suggests that any team in this league can beat any other on their day.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that those of us who don't have a rant on here, or bump up the "Crawford out" thread every time we don't win a game, are happy to see the Pars sitting closer to the bottom of the table than the top. It's just that some of us see football for what it is. It's only a game. There are far more important things in life.

Perspective.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 09:47

Perspective?
Second bottom of the league, a dull and uninspiring manager, dull and uninspiring football and no glimmer of it improving.
I find it remarkable the effort some go to on here to polish that runny turd.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 10:05

The players gave their all yesterday and it almost paid off. The league is very tight and the top two have begun to lose. A couple of wins and we could be in mid table. A change of manager would just disrupt things and would not guarantee immediate success. The game yesterday wasn't highly entertaining but the effort and application was there. I vote to keep faith with the management and they players. I think we are beginning to turn things round.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 10:07

We have not been inconsistent, in fact we have been very consistent, we are absolutely stinking every week

Time has to be running out for Stevie Crawford
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 10:34

In the last three games we've gained ground on all the other teams in the bottom six. We're not where want to be but I don't imagine the board is gonna say, 'Stevie - the last three games we've made ground on the teams around us - you're out.'

If I remember right, after AJ's first quarter in the champs we had seven points, and finished fifth? It's all in the mix. We're struggling. Missing sitters. But if we're that bad, judging by their last three results, Morton, Alloa, Partick, QOS and Arbroath aren't any better, in fact they're worse!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 10:40

I'd say we've been competitive in every match apart from the home game against Dundee United. The performance at Arbroath was disappointing but for the most part that game was played in farcical conditions.

We don't get carved open or consistently outplayed. We try to play possession football; in fact I'd say we sometimes overplay. Generally we defend well as a unit and don't concede a lot of chances. The problem is in the 'final third' where we lack a creative edge and a clinical finish. I don't think the blend in midfield is right, not helped by injuries to Thomson and now Paton. I'd like to see what young McDonald can do too as we lack balance on the wings. I think SC has made some good signings we haven't seen the best of yet. I've seen much worse Pars teams than this.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 10:44

Don't forget Murray.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 10:48

''Don't forget Murray.''

I didn't but the defence has been doing OK.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 10:49

Here comes the glitter and polish.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 10:51

I enjoy your reasoned posts, GG. They, like you, provide the sense of (yes) perspective that is sadly lacking on this forum. And hopefully they demonstrate to the people that matter that, whilst the road ahead may be rocky, some of us are at least prepared to run with the the current set-up and give it a chance. I'm not (nor ever have been) SC's greatest supporter but eight games into the new season is not the time to judge anybody. As you say, some of the games have been stinkers, but there have also been some acceptable / very good performances. I am hopeful that, over the next few months, the latter will start to outweigh the former. If not I'm sure the Board will know what to do at the appropriate time ..... and not just when a few forum posters have finally shouted themselves hoarse.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 11:00

Ref: Rastapari
Sun 6 Oct 10:49

<<<Here comes the glitter and polish.>>>

Is it Christmas already?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: plainview  
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 11:21

The difference is losing a late goal and equalising with the last kick takes character to believe you are still in the game, something we do not have.
Scoring a late goal before conceding a last gasp equaliser shows tactical naivety and weak mentality, any supporters in world football would be raging at conceding so late after apparently sealing a well needed victory.

Our overall play is so brutal with close to no creativity. If we keep up these performances we’ll be in big trouble so we desperately need to scrap any wins when we’re given the opportunity. Yesterday we were presented with a huge piece of luck: a goalkeeping howler with a few mins to go and we still didn’t win! The result yesterday I actually think was the hardest one to take so far. As many have said “anyone can beat anyone in this league”, yet we apparently can’t win even when gifted a goal right at the end which is the most worrying sign for the tough scrap ahead, particularly when conditions get even worse and the challenge becomes even more physical and mental.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 11:43

It’s the constant excuses made for the garbage we’re having to endure, the apologists.
Things like-

-Young team, quite simply if you’re good enough you’re old enough, age shouldn’t be an excuse for poor performances, yes you can be more forgiving of a player learning his trade but it’s the manager whose deemed him to be of worthy of a place.By the same token “experience” we had a player in the team for his experience but it’s evident to the majority he’s not playing at his previous standards.

-Inconsistency, we were to expect a bit of a rollercoaster with the team performing well one week and being off the ball the next. Bar the Dundee game it’s been dreadful, even the win at Partick was achieved with elements of luck, deflections and the ball bouncing over the goalies arm.

Reduced Playing budget- We had to reduce the budget following last seasons efforts, efforts might be the wrong word given the indication from the current manager that certain players had given up the ghost.So we reduce the budget but pay at least four undisclosed fees for players, how does that fathom ? We’re also accommodating three players who can’t hold down a first team place.

“It wasn’t his team” - he took the team on and then managed to string five wins (albeit without particularly playing well, but hey grinding wins is fine) with them but suddenly because he couldn’t get them to kick a ball after that it wasn’t his team. How did he lose the team, was it the Robinson situation where he has asked a player to terminate his contract, so when said player says “no” he has to sit in the stand every Saturday like a naughty schoolboy. Did telling players they were no longer required before the season is up backfire ?. What did he expect ? As the manager he lost the team somewhere, he was somewhat lucky he took them on mid-season because any other situation would leave you out of a job.

-Lucky to have a club, so are Livingston (x2) but they’re not feeling sorry for themselves.

Never ever make excuses for mediocrity
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 13:31

They certainly are not westies... Currently 2 nil up against celtic with about 15 mins to go

Edit: and there you go... 20 mins later it finishes 2 nil as livi just snuffed out the rest of the game

Post Edited (Sun 06 Oct 13:51)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 14:03

Probably that and the game in Alloa are the best scores in Scotland this season. Well done to Alloa and Livy, you have done all of us Diddy teams proud.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 15:54

Cheers, Yorkie. You'll have noticed that you and I are in a tiny minority on here. Even wee eck shows signs of losing it occasionally. :-)

We get various intended insults flung at us, most frequently 'happy clappers', but that label is wholly inaccurate since no Pars fan could possibly be happy at the current state of affairs and I include the BoD and management team. The difference is that some of us are able to rationalise things more readily than others. I've been quite disappointed and almost angry after some games recently, but I've never felt the need to come on here and have a go at anyone connected with the club, be they players, coaches or directors. I reason that they will be hurting as much as any of us and that poor results are not down to a lack of collective effort by all concerned, even if it may look that way to some less lenient fans.

Going by past history, I don't think the BoD will be rushing to sack any of the management team just yet. Both AJ and JP before him were given an extended chance to turn things around before the Board acted. I hope SC and his team can improve the teams fortunes soon. I don't agree with Westie and others who have described the games as ''garbage we’re having to endure.'' It's not been great by any stretch, but latterly we have shown some glimpses of improvement, at least in results.

We really should have put Alloa away last week, but Nisbet missed a couple of snips - one in the first min - and we were only a min away from 3 pts yesterday. Coupled with the 3 pts at Firhill, that would have kept Murchadh and Co off the manager's case for a while. :-)

Some posters have often commented that clubs who change their managers most often are usually the least successful, although I would counter that by saying that it's maybe the other way round - clubs change the manager when results are poor, but it is a self perpetuating cycle. People tend to sit up and take notice when a new manager comes in and brings about a massive improvement, as Jack Ross did at St Mirren, but look at him now - struggling in League 1 with a massive club for that level.

The majority of new managers make no significant improvement and in some cases, they even make things worse.........

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossDAFC  
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 17:18

A lot of people turning their noses up at the fact of having injuries hasn’t helped. With a squad of our size, losing any players to injury hurts a lot. Thomson and Murray directly improve the team whilst Paton adds experience. Mcdonald could be a real option once he is fit and Mcgill is quite liked by SC - all to come back. I still think a big issue is pinning all of our goalscoring on Nisbet who looks good but still adjusting to the step up and Ryan who was 4th choice last season. Once Kiltie gets going he could be a game changer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 17:51

“A squad of our size “- another excuse , on the official site we have 13 under 20’s ( which includes Lewis McCann and Matty Todd) and listed is a further 26 first team players including the Hearts loanees, that’s not a small squad.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 18:06

If we have 26 first team players then 10 must be injured as there were only 16 in the squad yesterday.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 18:40

Am I being cynical, or by only having 5 on the bench it gives credence to dropping points?

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Malcolm Canmore  
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 18:43

Up until Morton scored, we were lying 5th in the table. That goal alone was sufficient in this tight league to put us down to 9th.

Ground can be made up just as easily.

My dog eats meat
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 18:45

Not sure what you're getting at, eeap. I was simply questioning whether we had a first team squad of 26. We had a full bench yesterday but two were youngsters from the reserve squad, presumably along for the experience.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 18:46

I just had a look and we have a bigger squad than Dundee Utd and Ayr.There isn't much difference throughout the whole division.

Official squad sizes

OWN PLAYERS IN ON LOAN TOTAL
ALLOA 18 2 20
ARBROATH 18 3 21
AYR UNITED 18 4 22
DUNDEE UTD 22 0 22
PARS 19 4 23
ICT 23 1 24
PARTICK 20 4 24
QOS 22 2 24
MORTON 21 4 25
DUNDEE 24 2 26

Our 23 excludes Todd and McCann who are listed as reserve players

Post Edited (Sun 06 Oct 19:21)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 20:20

“Not sure what you're getting at, eeap. I was simply questioning whether we had a first team squad of 26. We had a full bench yesterday but two were youngsters from the reserve squad, presumably along for the experience.”

I’d love to copy and paste but the cows are a little precious about copyright. However if you head there you will see the list of players under “Players”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Sun 6 Oct 20:27

Aunty, baws, etc...

We are absolutely terrible. Crawford should do the right thing and walk away, his win record is absolutely shocking.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: