DAFC.net
Home 09 December 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Crawford in
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 10:21

I liked Berry's positive post in the Crawford out thread. As a Fifer myself, I know the cultural propensity to like a good moan rather than give praise where it's due. I like many things about our new team. In the Morton game, Gill made some point blank saves in the first half, Ashcroft and Martin worked their socks of and kept them out for 93 minutes, Comrie and Edward's were solid, Cochrane was all over the pitch demanding the ball at every opportunity, Beadling was a bit hemmed in but is fighting back to his best form, Dow was ghosting past several players at a time, Turner took a few knocks and looked a bit lightweight but showed real class and will become a star. Kiltie was full of running and Nisbet, although a bit raw took a bundle of knocks for the team. Steve Crawford has been thrown in at the deep end. Let's help him swim.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Crawford in
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 10:31

Great post Para. At the start of the season most pars fans knew this was gonna be a long hard season, most on here decided to give the lads time. It seems 1/4 of a season is long enough for the squad to knit together.

Crawford in for me too

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: livipar2  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 10:59

Spot on.

Mon the Pars!!!!!!!!!!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 11:02

I like your post too, Paralex, but predict it won't be long before those who take an opposing view will come on here to slaughter your OP.

I wasn't at the Morton game so I can't comment on the accuracy of your report on individual performances, but they are certainly very positive. Having said that, the view of some posters whose opinions I respect, was that the game was a poor spectacle, players showed little enthusiasm, tactics were poor, we scored with our only shot on target and failed to manage the game once we got in front.

Still and all, I'd much rather read a positive post and I would very much like to see SC make a success of the job. He's hopefully learning and so is the squad. I don't think the Board should pull the trigger just yet. AJ got until 5th Jan. SC should get at least that, too, but as always, results and to a lesser extent performances, will dictate the BoD's course of action.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 12:32

Great post and absolutely spot on.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FA1968  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 12:38

Spot on paralex, like him or loathe him we have started down the route of a different approach, Although performances and entertainment are not acceptable he must be given time to prove if he can provide the overall results the bod will be looking for.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 12:39

The game was poor and scrappy but it takes two to tango and it says something that Morton who have had such a good home record approached the game with as little attacking ambition as ourselves. They gave us real respect and that wasn't misplaced because after all we scored first. We didn't manage to see out the game, which is a pity but we did come away with a draw from a very tight game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 12:55

Unbelievable, so as long as we talk positively everything is great, even if most of what Paralex said is clearly a fantasy - all 11 of our players were great on Saturday and we still couldn’t beat the mighty Morton - hate to think what will happen when someone has a poor game.

Livi showed yesterday what is possible with hard work, effort and a bit of belief - Stevie needs to find a way of instilling this in the players - we have a group of players capable of so much more than they are showing just now - it’s the job of the management team to sort this.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: VintagePar  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 12:57

My first ever message to the Forum (I expect to be more of a "responder" than an "initiator").
What a great post by Paralex on 7th October. It is so encouraging to read a comment like his...probably Stevie and the team, will appreciate his words too, after reading many negative and critical messages which do nothing to build confidence in our team.
I didn't go to Cappielow on Saturday, so in the opinion of many contributors to the Forum that makes me a non-supporter and my views not really worthwhile!
However, after 30 years supporting The Pars home and away, mainly as a Season ticket holder, I think my opinions could be useful!
Good luck this season to DAFC, the team and all the positive-minded supporters
that contribute so much to the success of this great club.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 13:08

Oh maybe AJ27 we also need a bit of subtlety in working with a new team of young players. A bit of delicate nurture as well as the big stick when that is required. Glad you recognise that we have a group of players who are capable of so much more but great managers wouldn't just wade into them a push them too far. Maybe Steve is taking the steady nurturing approach to management. I can see progress and I can see potential. Give them a chance to flourish.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 13:15

I agree Paralex, I have been in the management game for many years and have rarely seen long term benefit in the big stick approach - however, skilful management needs strong coaching backed up with challenge and support - Behaviour, Impact and Consequence. Accepting and praising mediocrity just leads to more mediocrity.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 13:15

Fantastic OP and good responses. It is good to have a balance especially when there are so many under achievers and nothing achievers on here who for some reason think they are experts.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 13:17

"As a Fifer myself, I know the cultural propensity to like a good moan rather than give praise where it's due."

Crawford was given praise for the five match winning run that had us (briefly) looking upwards last season and which ultimately saved us from the drop. He was also praised for his recruitment over the summer, which for the most part has been pretty good (Comrie, Dow, Nisbet and Murray probably successful; Edwards and Turner on the positive side of the ledger; Paton, Kiltie, Coley, Lang, Cochrane and McGill with something to prove). So praise has been given when it is due. No home league wins, and only one win from the first 8 games of the season is not the scenario where praise is due. I'm struggling to make sense of this argument.

"Spot on paralex, like him or loathe him we have started down the route of a different approach,"

What is this new approach? At the start of the season it seemed to be about high pressing, high tempo, high work rate, building from the back etc. In recent weeks we've not pressed, looked sluggish against Alloa, have been out fought by Arbroath and can pass it about amongst the centre halves all day before hoofing it long. At Cappilow on Saturday we had a throw in about 20 yards from the Morton goalline and within 15 seconds it was back at the goalkeeper. It was, of course, then hooded long where we lost possession about 15 yards worse off than we were at the throw in! No bravery, no pace, no movement. If the manager doesn't inspire you to be brave and take risks, then you'll take the safe option.

"I didn't go to Cappielow on Saturday, so in the opinion of many contributors to the Forum that makes me a non-supporter and my views not really worthwhile!"

No, it means your opinions on the game itself aren't really worthwhile. We even get people talking about the game based on the highlights we put together on YouTube! We also have a few people who readily admit they don't know anything about tactics, systems, conditioning, etc but will make out that people are being negative for some non-football reason such as a Calvanistic upbringing, an agenda against the manager of the time or to get "bites" which is just bizarre.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 14:33

Just seems Kelty that once you get on someone's back you're not prepared to ease off even if there may be some positive signs. The best way to build is slowly and surely and the last 3 games have given me at least some hope that we are progressing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 14:43

Paralex wrote:

> Just seems Kelty that once you get on someone's back you're not
> prepared to ease off even if there may be some positive signs.
> The best way to build is slowly and surely and the last 3 games
> have given me at least some hope that we are progressing.

Not at all, he’s given his opinion and backed it up with sound reasoning, forums are for discussion.

The vast majority on Saturday were saying it was a terrible game until the last ten minutes, if you’re going to take positives from that good luck.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 14:52

Ah but Westie, he seems to be ignoring the small green shoots of recovery because perhaps he is stuck in an entrenched attitude. Let's all be flexible and prepared to change when we see genuine endeavour. Most of the fans at Cappielow were wholehearted in their support and I thought the players responded to that.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 14:55

"Just seems Kelty that once you get on someone's back you're not prepared to ease off even if there may be some positive signs."

I wasn't too unhappy when Crawford was appointed, I've already given him credit for the wins last season and I've said his recruitment was good... not sure how you get from that that I'm on his back and not prepared to wase off?

"The best way to build is slowly and surely and the last 3 games have given me at least some hope that we are progressing."

That would be fine if we had started the season poorly and then had been slowly improving but that's not what has happened, has it? We did reasonably well in the League Cup and played well in the first half of the Dundee game. Si xe then the football had been dore and we're nearly a quarter of the way through the season and we've had one win (avainstthe team bottom of the league) and haven't had a home win at all. How ka that progress?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 15:00

Have we fielded the same team twice in a row this season?

We need to find our best team quickly and get some continuity going-chopping and changing doesn't do anybody any good.The general consensus is that the benchmark was set in the first half against Dundee.We had Coley playing left wing in that game so why since then have we had the likes of McCann looking like a fish up a tree on the left wing and hardly any sign of Coley? He obviously knows we need someone on the left hence why he was looking at Armstrong as a trialist during the week.

I was one of those who said patience was needed and I'm not derailing from that yet. It's a hard task to assemble a completely new team of young players, with a reduced budget in a competitive division against experienced teams and expect them to be completely cohesive within 8 games-show me any manager who has achieved that at any level? He took on a very difficult job which is why someone more experienced may have been a wiser appointment at the time but it is what it is and he deserves a fair crack of the whip.It's been a big blow losing Murray as he looked like a potential leader and captain-something we are severely lacking.

Where were fans realistically expecting us to be at this stage?

We've created the same amount of opportunities for Nisbet as Utd have for Shankland-the difference is he has converted 11 more.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 15:02

Sometimes Kelty you just have to grind out a result to get the ship travelling on a level keel again. This league is actually very competitive with bizarre results and literally any team can beat any other. The poor start we have made won't help our aspirations this season but we have stopped losing and that's a good basis to start winning. If there are some signs of recovery and there are, why don't we stop whining for a bit and be positive.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 15:11

We have a better away record than any of the 5 teams immediately above us in the standings. A point away at Cappielow is not bad at all, and the performance away at Parkhead was immense. The away form demonstrates that the team continues to fight for the manager. So why would we make a change?

The home form has been poor, though. Teams often play poorly at home when their own fans are on their case. Maybe that's where the change needs to be made.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 15:26

Well said USmac you're a hero.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 15:26

My personal observation on our home form, I always end up reflecting on the width of our pitch, anybody know how it compares against other grounds?

For a team that lacks real width, having a big pitch with a team of youngsters could leave us more prone to being picked off and knacker us out with so much ground to cover.

All fine when we have wingers that are willing to take players on and run the channels but don’t have that really at the moment.

As for Crawford, said before the last three game stretch i’d be expecting 7 points, we got 5 and got a run of games unbeaten so hopefully it will help bring some confidence back and we can try use this to push on.

Considering how poor we’ve been, we’ve started to pick up points, this isn’t an overnight fix but whilst there is a hint of him turning this around, i’d like to think he’ll have the opportunity.

Another 5 games I think before I re-evaluate.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 15:28

Form not ideal but could be worse. Look at Hearts form just now, especially there home form, absolutely rotten.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 15:32

I’m sure it’s all the fault of the Hearts fans not giving them enough backing!!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 15:32

Topic Originator: USMac like | nolike
Date: Mon 7 Oct 15:11

We have a better away record than any of the 5 teams immediately above us in the standings. A point away at Cappielow is not bad at all, and the performance away at Parkhead was immense. The away form demonstrates that the team continues to fight for the manager. So why would we make a change?

The home form has been poor, though. Teams often play poorly at home when their own fans are on their case. Maybe that's where the change needs to be made.

I was with you until the last bit. The fans have been behind the team at East End(or those who have attended as no doubt crowds are down).Do you have any evidence of 'fans being on their case?' Did the fans contribute to conceding 3 penalties?

We've played the 3 favourites for promotion at home(Utd, Dundee and ICT)I expected us to lose to Utd. We were within the width of a crossbar of going 3 up to Dundee and 2 avoidable penalties cost us, ICT had 0-0 written all over it until another avoidable pen.We had chances aplenty to beat Alloa but at least we took something after going behind-something we haven't done a lot of lately.Fine margins-to blame the crowd is clutching at straws imo.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 16:10

The pure and simple fact is we are not winning games at home, that is unacceptable whatever way you want to look at it and whatever spin you want to put on it

The players have not been given a hard time by the fans at home, far from it

The tactics employed by the manager are the reason we cannot win our home games. East End Park should be a fortress with teams coming to play for a point and should they manage to scrape a draw they would consider themselves fortunate

Instead teams are coming looking to win and play attacking football against us, if we go a goal down we look defeated

I am all in favour of giving time and having patience but it has to change very very soon
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 16:11

Absolutely love the enthusiasm from the OP, I really do! however i think you were at a different game to me on Saturday.

We were rank rotten - think the ball will need some first aid treatment with the launching it took up and down the park!

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 16:27

As I said Connor, it takes two to tango and Morton played a substantial part in spoiling the game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 17:25

Parathletic: I'm glad to hear that the fans remain behind the team at EEP. Certainly, a few of the earlier home games against the top promotion rivals turned on small margins as you noted.

With the fans' support, the players and the staff should be able to get a few Ws at home to get this season kick-started.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 18:44

Let's face it the majority of league do not play good football and that is reflected in the results throughout the league

Morton beat Alloa 4-1
Dundee Utd beat Morton 6-0
Alloa beat Dundee Utd 1-0

Inverness beat DA 1-0
DA beat Partick 3-0
Partick beat Inverness 3-1

The fact that we have went on a 3 game unbeaten run in this league with 2 of the games away from home and still playing rubbish and somehow only a win away from 5th cant be ignored
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 19:37

Good to read the fans are still behind the Manager.

Though ,presumably ,not the 24% who have walked away.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 19:52

Quote:

Sliema Par, Mon 7 Oct 19:37

Good to read the fans are still behind the Manager.

Though ,presumably ,not the 24% who have walked away.

Not everyone who has stopped going is down to who is in charge, for me it's down to whether I wish to pay 20 quid to watch us play dross like Alloa at home or Morton away.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 19:57

USMac says we will soon be getting a few wins.

Just because we have gone 32 weeks since the last Home League win doesn't mean he is wrong.

I like optimism.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 20:07

Or 8 fixtures just to put it in another perspective........
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 20:19

alwaysaPar wrote:

> Or 8 fixtures just to put it in another perspective........

Yes 8 home games without a win makes much better reading, genuinely cannot believe you felt the need to correct the previous post with that stat.The level of tolerance is something else.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: plainview  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 20:30

Despite us being the Pars, not everything is black and white.

I support the team and watch every single match. I support the manager and the staff and would never hurl audible abuse (unless you count a wee grumble to myself or my pals). I do not believe Stevie should be sacked just now and I firmly believe he should be given time.

However, I'm afraid I just can't agree with the OP's assessment of the match or performances. Just because you support the manager and the team doesn't mean you only have to see rainbows and ponies. Our performance at Cappielow was lacklustre and devoid of creativity and so was Morton's. Our performances across this league season so far have been lacklustre (bar that 45 mins against Dundee) and if we keep up this level of performance we'll be in trouble.

Currently there isn't much to get excited about as a Pars fan. Tbh we're absolutely mince to watch but I will still be there at the next match supporting the team and Stevie. I just think negative posts are more than acceptable if they fairly reflect what our performance was like. Just say it how it is.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 23:05

I suppose at the Morton game I noticed the positive things more than the negative ones. That's what a supporter does. He or she is keen to notice and give encouragement for the positive things and as I have previously indicated there were many of them. I think I realised after a few years during my own long and undistinguished playing career that when I shouted abuse at my fellow players (and of course in my eyes they were all worse than me) that my attitude produced negative results. But when I learned that shouting encouragement was a far more constructive and rewarding thing to do, that better results followed. We are all in this together with the Pars. We like them and we want them to succeed so let's support them positively. Give the lads a chance.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 06:19

Quote:

Westies squint kicks, Mon 7 Oct 20:19

alwaysaPar wrote:

> Or 8 fixtures just to put it in another perspective........

Yes 8 home games without a win makes much better reading, genuinely cannot believe you felt the need to correct the previous post with that stat.The level of tolerance is something else.

Did I say its makes better reading ??
Much in the same way people were saying it was the first time since the 70s that wolves had beaten man city away from home when it was only a run of about 9 games over 40 years.

You do realise we have never beaten Queens Park in a league game for over 30 years .........
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 07:56

....and when was the last time we beat Barcelona? We are mince eh!

Anyone that expects silky skills and flowing entertaining football in matches between 8 possibly 9 of the 10 teams in this league are kidding themselves. Equal and opposite forces just cancel each other out. Most games will be battles and a wee rub o the green will be the difference in many.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 07:58

alwaysaPar wrote:

>
Quote:

>
> alwaysaPar wrote:
>
> > Or 8 fixtures just to put it in another perspective........
>
> Yes 8 home games without a win makes much better reading,
> genuinely cannot believe you felt the need to correct the
> previous post with that stat.The level of tolerance is
> something else.

>
> Did I say its makes better reading ??
> Much in the same way people were saying it was the first time
> since the 70s that wolves had beaten man city away from home
> when it was only a run of about 9 games over 40 years.
>
> You do realise we have never beaten Queens Park in a league
> game for over 30 years .........

You used the term “another perspective”, what perspective were you trying to portray ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 08:05

Quote:

Westies squint kicks,

You used the term “another perspective”, what perspective were you trying to portray ?

Everybody uses the stats which best suits their "perspective" or, more accurately, their agenda.

Why would you want to include the close season to make a point? It's quite misleading, in my humble one.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 08:24

Quote:

Westies squint kicks, Tue 8 Oct 07:58

alwaysaPar wrote:

>
Quote:

>
> alwaysaPar wrote:
>
> > Or 8 fixtures just to put it in another perspective........
>
> Yes 8 home games without a win makes much better reading,
> genuinely cannot believe you felt the need to correct the
> previous post with that stat.The level of tolerance is
> something else.

>
> Did I say its makes better reading ??
> Much in the same way people were saying it was the first time
> since the 70s that wolves had beaten man city away from home
> when it was only a run of about 9 games over 40 years.
>
> You do realise we have never beaten Queens Park in a league
> game for over 30 years .........

The number of games it has been since we won a league game at home......

....that didn't seem obvious to you???
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 08:24

Paralex , you are going on about supporting the team. I repeat there has been no barracking of the players this season to date

There are a few boos at full time if the fans do not feel they have had entertainment value for money however this is different from giving the players a hard time during the match
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 08:57

Alwaysapar- a perspective is a frame of mind, a view. When you quote “another perspective” you are trying to change that outlook. Hth.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 09:07

So, if I pick you up correctly, my view is that it has been 8 games since we won at home in the league
And Silemas view is that it's been 32 weeks since we won ......

You still needed ask ????
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 09:26

Quote:

GG Riva, Tue 8 Oct 08:05

Quote:

Westies squint kicks,

Everybody uses the stats which best suits their "perspective" or, more accurately, their agenda.

Why would you want to include the close season to make a point? It's quite misleading, in my humble one.

Why do you always...quite cheaply I may add, accuse posters criticising bad results as having an "agenda", as a teacher you would know in language the opposite is also true, no?

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par_85  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 10:01

been avoiding the forum recently as i can't be bothered with the blinkered negativity that surrounds it at times, but it's good to see a few talking sense on here

results have been far from good enough but there are certainly positives to take from some of the performances, we don't know what goes on behind closed doors and if it's the tactics, the understanding of them or the execution by the players that are at fault but some like to talk as if they are Fergie in disguise, of course SC has to take responsibility but i hope to god we don't turn into a revolving door club when it comes to managers and we are trying to build a club with stability and investing in youth for the future, it's not going to happen overnight and i'm not sure how 8 games into the season is giving SC 'time'?

just like we needed to be sensible after winning 5 on the bounce last season and not get carried away, we also need to do the same after just 8 games into the season, the boo boys at the games would do everyone a favour by staying away if they can't support a bunch of young lads clearly trying their heart out but it not quite coming off for them (.....yet hopefully)

Zidane sleeps with a picture of Paul Paton next to his bed #hero

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 10:25

"I suppose at the Morton game I noticed the positive things more than the negative ones. That's what a supporter does. He or she is keen to notice and give encouragement for the positive things and as I have previously indicated there were many of them."

That is a pretty bizarre argument. I've never heard any definition of a supporter only noticing good things. That to me isn't a supporter, its someone with their head in the sand. It's like those guys who wave flags and sing and get drunk and don't care about the actual result (see the Standard Liege fans on Thursday for example). You can be a supporter who notices both positive and negative points in a game, who encourages positive play and doesn't get too upset with negativity whilst still noticing it, who looks at what is wrong and thinks about how it can be improved, etc. Without getting into boring "real fan" *****, your comment is guff. ;)

By the way, I'd also argue that there weren't many positives from Saturday at all - only one shot (off target) in the first half, should have been behind with a goal that was chalked off for a very soft foul, lots of negative play, lack of width or pace, a failure to hold onto a lead when the three points were there for the taking, etc. Yes the defence weren't troubled too much (although the two "goals" we conceded were very soft and Gill had to make more saves than Ramsbottom), Cochrane looked a lot better and Ryan did quite well in his short spell. See, I can see both sides, and I'm still a supporter.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 10:37

''...a goal that was chalked off for a very soft foul,...'

A blatant push in the back was 'very soft'? A comment like that just convinces me that some folk find it very hard to say something positive about their team which I've always found very strange. It's the same mindset as only seeing us having good luck rather than bad luck which is quite common on this forum.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 10:50

Quote:

Rastapari, Tue 8 Oct 09:26

Quote:

GG Riva, Tue 8 Oct 08:05

Quote:

Westies squint kicks,

Why do you always...quite cheaply I may add, accuse posters criticising bad results as having an "agenda", as a teacher you would know in language the opposite is also true, no?

Rasta, you've genuinely lost me there.

When have I ever accused anyone on this forum of having an "agenda", never mind of always having one? I've no recollection of this whatsoever, but if you can dredge one up, I'll happily apologise. I merely used the word to suggest that it was more accurate than "perspective", in the context of the discussion.

I'm sure Westie can speak for himself but it's fairly obvious from his posts that he'd like to see Crawford relieved of his duties. Why? Obviously because results and performances have been poor and below the standards he believes are acceptable to the club and it's fans. I don't defend these but I do feel the management team should be given more time to turn things around and I think they will be. I can't see the BoD sacking the manager immediately following a 3 game unbeaten sequence.

So if you want to see someone removed from his post, is it not reasonable to suggest you have an agenda, even if that does sound a bit melodramatic? On the other hand, if I want to see him given more time, I can hardly be accused of the same thing, since I'm not saying Crawford must keep his job come what may.

I wouldn't imagine even his mum would say that.....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 12:04

"A blatant push in the back was 'very soft'? A comment like that just convinces me that some folk find it very hard to say something positive about their team which I've always found very strange. It's the same mindset as only seeing us having good luck rather than bad luck which is quite common on this forum."

You say blatant push, I say the defender wasn't strong enough. Had we scored that way and it wasn't given I'd have been raging. I've also literally said positive things about the team on this very thread. We have had some bad luck with injuries, we were unlucky with the Nisbet shot that hit the bar against Dundee, and we had some bad luck at Celtic Park when the first was a cross and the second took a deflection. Is that enough to get me out the dog house? Or does considering it lucky that Morton had a goal disallowed then their keeper dropping the ball right at Ryan's feet mean that I'm not a real fan or sonesuch? It's getting like Brexit on here. Nobody is allowed to be in the middle and see both sides, you have to be "with us" or "against us". It's no wonder this forum gets so little traffic these days.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 12:33

Well, I was calling for a foul before the ref signalled one. Whether the defender was strong enough to withstand it is irrelevant if it was a foul. No one else has questioned that decision. If a goalie can't hold onto a shot and we capitalise on it is it 'good luck'? If it had happened at the other end I doubt you'd be saying Morton were lucky.

It seems to me some fans set impossibly high standards for a club in our position and are never going to be happy. If you have said all these positive things about the team this season fair enough but I can't say I remember them.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 12:38

To clarify the point about the definition of a supporter Kelty, I don't think that I defined a supporter as one who only noticed the good points and not the bad. But I would strongly contend that at this particular point in the history of Dunfermline Athletic football club when a fledgling team of players are trying their level best to get positive results that the attitude of the fans is vitally important. The psychology of a positive outlook rather than a negative one at the games as well as on this forum transfers to the management and the players. Let's get behind them and encourage what is good, let them work on their mistakes and while we come through a fairly crucial stage of development tuck away our criticisms for another day.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 12:51

wee eck wrote:

> Well, I was calling for a foul before the ref signalled one.
> Whether the defender was strong enough to withstand it is
> irrelevant if it was a foul. No one else has questioned that
> decision. If a goalie can't hold onto a shot and we capitalise
> on it is it 'good luck'? If it had happened at the other end I
> doubt you'd be saying Morton were lucky.
>
> It seems to me some fans set impossibly high standards for a
> club in our position and are never going to be happy. If you
> have said all these positive things about the team this season
> fair enough but I can't say I remember them.

I don’t think the results or the football is acceptable, at least if one of them were we could have something to cling on to, that’s not impossibly high standards.
The manager is undoubtedly a Pars man and a nice guy but never has he inspired me that he’s got what it takes to be a manager, his interviews can be particularly pallid, so while crowds dwindle, the results fail to improve and the club’s stature falls I like many others think it’s time for change.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 12:55

I think when AJ and SC's contracts were terminated there was a clear decision made to go in a different direction and take a longer term view. The main driver has clearly been financial. The last thing the club wants is a repeat of a few years ago. Im sure that has been a difficult decision for the directors who are also supporters. At the end of the day its the right thing to do. The benefits of that decision may not be realised over the next 6 or 12 months but over the next 2 or 3 years. As a supporter, my decision is to continue to support the club to realise its long term vision rather than look at poor results in the short term. I think we will bump along the bottom of the table until January when we will climb and finish mid table. Im happy to stay the course until the end of the season and that means supporting everyone at the club throughout.

Post Edited (Tue 08 Oct 13:31)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 15:35

Kelty, you are normally a very well reasoned poster but if you think that was a soft foul you must be a hit man in your secret life.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 17:49

Other than wee eck above, I didn't see or hear any Pars fans round me claiming for it at the time; the boys sitting behind me said that they didn't see anything wrong with it; Gill doesn't claim for anything and Ashcroft and Beadling throw their hands up in frustration at losing a soft goal before hearing the whistle and applauding the decision while three Morton players immediately surround the ref complaining about the call. Not just me who thought it was soft...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 19:27

Im gonny have to watch it again. Looked like he was bundled into the net.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 19:30

Just watched it again. That was a judo throw min.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 20:37

Just by way of keeping us positive.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: