DAFC.net
Home 14 October 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Shuffling the Pack
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 21:51

Could some positional changes help out SC?
Here is a team of historical deployments consisting of players who were mostly well-established in one position, only to become better known in another. The exception is goalkeeper, since although several outfield players have ended up decent goalies, the traffic is all one way. They are numbered as in traditional 1-11 positions.

1. BOBBY CLARK

The Aberdeen keeper had already been capped for Scotland when he lost his place to Ernie McGarr in 1968 following a 5-1 shellacking at EEP and ended up playing a number of games at centre half, which included marking Colin Stein at Ibrox and even scoring a goal. However by 1970 Clark was back between the sticks to win a Cup Final medal and the following year set a world record with twelve consecutive shut outs. He even survived long enough to win a League medal under Fergie in 1980.

2. ANDY KERR

Partick knew they had a versatile player who, despite changing positions regularly, was good enough to win two Scottish caps as a full back in the mid 1950s. What The Jags didn’t know was that ‘Handy Andy’ was also a goal machine, and when Kilmarnock put him up front at the age of 28 he hit an astonishing 119 goals in 137 games, a strike rate of Larsonnesque proportions, but won no more caps. He played in five Hampden finals, losing the lot and was a League runner-up four times as well.

3. MALCOLM MacDONALD

Fulham boss Bobby Robson was happy with his powerful, pacey left back and even happier when he discovered the £1,000 signing from non-league football could surge past defenders and smash the ball home with his left foot. Soon switched to centre forward, ‘Supermac’ went on to become a cult hero with Luton, Newcastle and Arsenal, and even managed to score 5 goals for England in a match against Cyprus.

4. GEOFF HURST

Possessing strength, stamina and determination, the West Ham youngster seemed to have the makings of a wing half suited to the 42 game Division 1 where much of the season was played on heavy grounds. Hurst lacked the pace and sharpness required of the traditional goalscorer but Coach Ron Greenwood was developing the concept of a ‘target man’ who would move across the front line, receiving passes hit from defence, and the rest is World Cup history.

5. JOHN CHARLES

When the 17 year old made his professional debut for Leeds his international opponent claimed he had never played against a better centre half, and within a year Charles was playing for Wales. His great athleticism and all round ability saw him moved to centre forward whereupon he proceeded to destroy defences across England, not forgetting to net spectacular goals in the Home Championship against Scotland either. He later flourished in Italy, where the ‘Gentle Giant’ is still considered Juventus’ greatest ever foreign player for the way he led the front line in the late 1950s.

6. JOHN ROBERTSON

As a cultured wing half with a good passing range Robertson was doing a reasonable tribute act to Jim Baxter both on and off the park, but hardly setting the heather on fire at Divison 2 side Notts Forest. New manager Brian Clough moved him out wide left where ‘Super Tramp’s’ soft shoe shuffling and immaculate distribution could exploit wider angles, bringing Championship and European glory as a result and two World Cup campaigns. When the first £1 million player Trevor Francis asked Clough for tactical advice: ‘What do you want me to do?’ The answer came back: ‘Give the ball to John Robertson; he’s a better player than you are.’

I'll do the forwards tomorrow.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Shuffling the Pack
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 7 Oct 22:34

Interesting, sammer - I remember all of these players and that most of them had switched positions, but I wasn't aware of Geoff Hurst's background.

Just one thing - with the "Crawford In" and "Crawford Out" threads, I'm slightly surprised you resisted the temptation to call this thread "Crawford Shake it All About" ....

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 07:57

Whether this has any bearing on the Pars or not it's an interesting read. Thanks, Sammer.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 08:27

Add a certain Andy Tod to that list
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 08:35

It wouldn't be an entirely new phenomenon at EEP.

My first recollection of such a move was Jock Stein switching two pacy young wingers, Willie Callaghan and John Lunn, to full back, so they could bring the ball forward on the overlap. They were widely regarded as the best full back pairing in Scotland in the 60s, but sadly only Callaghan gained a solitary Scottish cap, perhaps because they didn't play for you-know-who.

Roy Barry briefly played in midfield with No. 8 on back and even scored in a 1-1 draw with Aberdeen before moving back to centre half where he quickly proved to be something of a sensation, with his awareness, aggressive tackling and ability in the air for a comparatively small man. When the Pars reluctantly sold him to Coventry, then in the English top flight, for £40,000, manager Noel Cantwell described him as the bargain of the century. He wasn't exaggerating. 🙂

George Farm gave Alex Edwards, a tricky wing wizard the No. 9 jersey and played him in a central role behind the strikers, where he excelled with his pinpoint passing. A £13,000 move to Hibs meant he probably ousted Roy Barry as this was an absolute fire sale and at Easter Road he shone in the No 10 playmaker role, in a brilliant team put together by Eddie Turnbull.

Norrie McCathie arrived from Cowdenbeath as a midfielder but failed to convince. When he moved back to central defence, he was able to see and read the game in front of him. His leadership qualities began to shine through and he was installed as team captain, going on to achieve almost legendary status before his untimely death at just 34 years of age.

Less successful was Jim Leishman's experiment of playing striker John Watson in central defence. I remember remarking to a pal that I much preferred Watson to be wrecking havoc in the opposition box than our own. I think Leish persisted with his experiment for 3 or 4 games before restoring him as our No 9.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paristotle  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 09:01

Didn't the Craw himself move to midfield during his 2nd stint with us? I seem to remember thinking he was pretty decent there.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 09:05

What about Keith McRae of Motherwell ?

He played various positions for the club including goalkeeper before a move to Man.City as goalie.

http://www.motherwellnet.com/database/player-archive/mc-mac/keith-macrae/

Post Edited (Tue 08 Oct 09:20)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 14:22

Lee Bullen played almost every position for the Pars, having joined us as a striker. Legend.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 14:36

GG, could you drop me an email please? Ta.
Buffy2Daisyj@gmail.com

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 8 Oct 16:35

Quote:

buffy, Tue 8 Oct 14:36

GG, could you drop me an email please? Ta.
Buffy2Daisyj@gmail.com

Done. I hope I'm not in any bother, Buffy. 🙁

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: