DAFC.net
Home 14 October 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Stephen Kenny
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 11:15

Interesting article on Stephen Kenny in today’s Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/09/stephen-kenny-ireland-italy-under-21-european-championship

Post Edited (Thu 10 Oct 11:20)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Stephen Kenny
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 11:52

Greatest pars manager that never was.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 13:39

Absolutely bonkers. Sacking him was the right call: clueless at the time.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hay Fever  
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 16:22

Can only go with results and no the politics but have to say the 2nd half of that Premier League season was brilliant with O,Brien, Hammill Bamba McManus giving us some great games all be it we got relegated with Devries howler at ICT. Game away to St Mirren on a Monday night was bouncing. Then the Cup Final was a bonus and a great day out. So I for one enjoyed and will always remember part of his stay. The Next season? well less said about that but believe the players had down tools by then.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 16:33

Shafted by a bunch of prima Donnas who downed tools at Dunfermline and some on here still can't see that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 17:07

I think with the young squad we have now he would be fantastic, trying to get old timers on the pension boosting wages to train twice a day, being told what, when to eat and drink, and not getting on the golf course or betting shops everyday was always going to be contentious.

Good manager but with us at the wrong time!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 18:02

RM

Agree with your bottom line.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 18:14

Quote:

renegade master, Thu 10 Oct 17:07

I think with the young squad we have now he would be fantastic, trying to get old timers on the pension boosting wages to train twice a day, being told what, when to eat and drink, and not getting on the golf course or betting shops everyday was always going to be contentious.

I wouldn't quite put it in these stark terms, RM, but there is substance to what you've hypothesised. Kenny's most obvious weakness was his lack of experience. He probably wasn't a bad manager then, but he's certainly a better manager now.

Managing a squad of experienced pros, not much younger than yourself, can be a daunting and difficult challenge, especially if you've not played the game at a high level. The trick is getting them to do what you want, while they believe they're doing what they want. Might sound easy but incredibly difficult. Better managers than Kenny have tried to come in and change the established way of doing things and failed spectacularly. It's far easier to change the manager than a significant number of players in the squad.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 19:02

GG

Thats why I said with this young squad, whether now or when he was here would have worked out better for him.

We'll never know but think like you say, modern managers have never worked in Scotland in recent years from the very top to the very bottom.

In the same light very few older Scottish players head to a modern style manager and do well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 21:29

Quote:

renegade master, Thu 10 Oct 17:07

My thoughts as well RM he is now showing his potential and good on him
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 22:17

After his Ireland stint, I wouldn't rule out his return to Scotland...

as manager of Celtic!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parca_Par  
Date:   Thu 10 Oct 22:37

Yawn, not another SK thread. Been a few months since the last one, hopefully not going over the same ground again. The football was as bad as the Stanton/Forsyth era, but we don’t get threads on them every few months or so....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Fri 11 Oct 00:01

0-0 draw against Italy under 21s ,

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Fri 11 Oct 01:14

Sack the manager.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 11 Oct 08:50

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/1010/1082476-bullish-stephen-kenny-hails-irelands-upward-curve/
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: