DAFC.net
Home 18 November 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Ryan & Nesbit upfront
Topic Originator: tappies par  
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 19:57

Surely got to start playing them upfront together from the start of games. Play Kiltie in midfield. Thought Andy Ryan had a good start to the season and not really had a chance since.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Ryan & Nesbit upfront
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 20:01

Thought Kiltie was very bright and possibly our best player today, so I can't see it changing anytime soon although it is an option to play on the left of midfield. I think Turner is too lightweight

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: tappies par  
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 20:06

Kiltie was my motm. What is his favoured position? I feel we have more of a chance to score goals starting Ryan & Nesbit together.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 20:07

There are players that seem to be better coming off the bench. I think Andy Ryan could be one of these?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 20:07

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Sat 19 Oct 20:01

Thought Kiltie was very bright and possibly our best player today, so I can't see it changing anytime soon although it is an option to play on the left of midfield. I think Turner is too lightweight

I thought the shape looked good today, Kiltie looked good playing off the front man, both Nisbet and Ryan did well there, Dow done well on the right, but Turner struggle out of position in the left. Left side seems to be the issue at the moment, McCann could be a fit??
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 20:08

Turner didn't have his best game today but on his game he is our most talented player and has an eye for goal. He also has a good rapport with Nisbet which is very important. Nisbet did well with an assist for the first goal but looks a bit heavy legged at times and doesn't have quick feet at crucial times. It may be an option to play both Ryan and Nisbet together but previous attempts haven't been too successful.

Post Edited (Sat 19 Oct 20:09)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsloyal98  
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 20:09

Andy Ryan deserves a start based off of his recent exploits over the bench but never seems to manage to deliver when he starts.

Has an absolutely great scoring rate of roughly 0.6 goals per 90 mins played in his time with the club too going by my quick calculations

We love Dunfermline We do!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 20:10

Nisbet is a better hold up and link man than a goalscorer. I like him and it should benefit the guys around him.

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars_andy  
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 20:14

Not confident going down to 2 central midfielders at the moment. I reckon we’d be overrun. 4-5-1 is attacking enough with Dow and Kiltie as part of the 5

==================================
"However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." - Stanley Kubrick
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 20:18

Yes agree with Raymie on that, Nisbet is a big tough lad and holds the front line well. He is a more physical presence that Ryan but not so convincing as a potential prolific scorer.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 20:22

Quote:

Paralex, Sat 19 Oct 20:18

Yes agree with Raymie on that, Nisbet is a big tough lad and holds the front line well. He is a more physical presence that Ryan but not so convincing as a potential prolific scorer.

Is Ryan a less physical presence? I thought he gave the center half a harder time when he came on than he'd had the whole game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad123  
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 20:35

Agree with Lambo. Thought Ryan also won far more in the air than Nisbet did, half the time Nisbet doesn’t even bother challenging when the ball is in the air.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 20:42

It's a shame the rest of Turner doesn't do as much as his mouth. First time I've seen him and he looked a real moaner.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: coventrypar  
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 20:55

Turner today was lightweight. Either got bullied or never fully committed to a load of challenges. Needs to bulk up and go in stronger.

"If you have no kind words to say you should say nothing more at all"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 21:00

I quite like Kyle Turner as a player. I can't quite say what it is, but there's just something about him and the way he plays that I really like. That said, he did have a stinker today and probably should have come off earlier. I think it's quite difficult for him at the moment as we don't seem to be able to play a system that suits him which means that when he does play, he often gets dumped out of position, as was the case today.

Nobody would ever want to play him out on the left, but it's hard to think of a better option if we want to keep things reasonably tight. Coley is an option for 20 minutes at the end of a game, but it's hard to justify giving him a start as little seems to come from his runs up the wing and his positional sense when having to defend is non-existent.

I thought it worked OK today with Nisbet up and Kiltie playing just off. I don't understand people who automatically think playing one up front is automatically bad, or automatically defensive. It all depends on how it's applied. Probably the best side at this level since we were relegated in 2007 is Billy Reid's Hamilton side that won the league in 07/08. They played a variant of 4-5-1 in almost every game, because it was something that suited them and it allowed them to play impressive football.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 21:14

Turner is clearly talented but this position doesn't suit him where he's expected to challenge for possession.
It makes him look lightweight but truth is he's much more suited as an attacking midfielder bridging the forward line and able to open up defences.
He was played far too deep today.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 19 Oct 21:27

Seemed to be an argument going on between Turner and Edwards most of the first half, probably concerning the lack of backtracking from Turner.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Oct 00:14

I was in the Norrie so I didn't notice the arguing. My bro who was in the North West stand said there were a lot of verbal going on. I'm not sure if the main reason was Turner playing out of position and not backtracking. I thought he was pretty mobile and concentrating quite hard on covering opponents runs. Just thought he was a bit off the pace today. He took a bit of a kicking at Morton. At Firhill I think he played more central behind Nisbet and links up quite well with him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bouncer  
Date:   Sun 20 Oct 02:08

Turner ineffective being played out of position on the left.
I really want to see a straightforward 4-4-2 with Nisbet & Ryan up top.
Kiltie for me more effective wide as he has good skill with ball at feet.

With Socks on Turner too, he does have ability/potential but moving players to suit a system rather than playing a system to suit the players we have has cost us.

We couldn't really complain if we got nothing from today's game, Ash's goal misses the target 9 out of 10 and Ryan's goal was an exceptional finish with his weaker foot.

Take it and move on.

2014/15 Squealadeal Prediction League Champion

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Sun 20 Oct 07:33

Have to admit, I'd like to see us have a go at a 4-4-2 with Ryan and Nesbit up front together. Kiltie on the Left and Dow on the Right. Turner and Thomson (when he returns) or Cochrane as box-box midfielders.

When AJ brought Andy Ryan in he was the most prolific scorer in Scotland but then he just stuck with Nicky Clark for whatever reason, so I really hope this season we can see what Andy Ryan is capable of, but he can't do that from the bench.

I do like Nesbit too - the target man we've been missing for a good few seasons!

Curious as to whether Kiltie will stay in January and beyond - Killie have a recall option from what I understand.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossDAFC  
Date:   Sun 20 Oct 10:54

This is not really feasible until we have Thomson back as we’d need somebody to cover Paton’s running in a midfield 2. It also leaves turner,cochrane and beadling all benched which seems silly. Kiltie playing off Nisbet has been working really well because Kiltie naturally finds space that nobody else does. Ryan came on fresh and pressed Ayr which they didn’t like, but it’s a style that leaves him knackered by 60 minutes when he starts and we don’t have anyone else like him on the bench to replace him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 20 Oct 10:59

"Have to admit, I'd like to see us have a go at a 4-4-2 with Ryan and Nesbit up front together. Kiltie on the Left and Dow on the Right. Turner and Thomson (when he returns) or Cochrane as box-box midfielders. "

Kiltie looked wasted on the left at Morton and Turner doesn't have the physicality to play as one of two in the middle IMO. He's a bit of a luxury player and as much as I think he can get a few goals and looks neat and tidy on occasion, I can't see him fitting into the team the way it's set up.

As to the Clark/Ryan thing - some folk will never get over it for some reason but Clark was and is a much better player than Ryan.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Sun 20 Oct 11:51

Ross - that's assuming that we stick to the caveat of having to have an attacking midfielder and a defensive midfielder. If you have two box-to-box midfielders then you remove that need.

Kelty - I can see where you're coming from with Turner, but if paired with Thomson or Cochrane I don't think Physicality would be much of an issue. If Clarke was half as good as you're making out, he'd be playing in the SPL. The guy could finish but as an all-rounder he wasn't exactly great - I was more disappointed that we lost McManus at the end of that season than Clark and there was consensus that AJ showed him too much loyalty - same was said about Williamson. I don't think stating it as fact holds much integrity either when Ryan was never really given a chance after scoring 2 or 3 in sub appearances just after arriving if memory serves correctly. Clarke only got 8 goals in the league for Dundee United last year and I'd reckon that the goals to minutes ratio of Andy Ryan is considerably better than Nicky Clark in a pars jersey.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: