DAFC.net
Home 11 November 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 "Arabs"
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Tue 29 Oct 16:06

It doesn't appear to be weel kent that Dundee Utd are not The Arabs. They are The Terrors. Their fans are the Arabs. So I'm telt by an Arab.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: "Arabs"
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Tue 29 Oct 16:07

telt by an arab or telt by a terror?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 29 Oct 16:13

A real live Arab close enough tae touch. It wis terrifying

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Tue 29 Oct 16:23

Did he have a Camel?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gwh18  
Date:   Tue 29 Oct 16:32

Terrors is a **** nickname

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Tue 29 Oct 18:11

You don't get to choose your nickname.

"The Terrors" or Livi's "The Lions" are corporate affectations thought up by Bob in marketing or the product of a focus group.

"Arabs" might well have started as a reference to the fans but usage over the last 40 odd years means it is the club's real nickname.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 29 Oct 18:15

Was Arabs not something to do with the amount of sand they used on their pitch in the 60s??? (not sure)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 29 Oct 18:31

I think the term 'Terrors' comes from the early 1970s when Dundee Utd started to play in tangerine shirts. 'Tangerine Terrors' was a common newspaper headline when they had played well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Tue 29 Oct 18:32

Quote:

widtink, Tue 29 Oct 18:15

Was Arabs not something to do with the amount of sand they used on their pitch in the 60s??? (not sure)

It was . I read up on it a few days ago . They put so much sand on it to get a cup tie against Albion rovers played , that the pitch resembled a desert .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 29 Oct 18:34

Quote:

parsfan, Tue 29 Oct 18:11

"The Terrors" or Livi's "The Lions" are corporate affectations thought up by Bob in marketing or the product of a focus group.

"Arabs" might well have started as a reference to the fans but usage over the last 40 odd years means it is the club's real nickname.

That's a very good point but I don't think they would agree.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 29 Oct 18:44

Quote:

PARrot, Tue 29 Oct 18:34

Quote:

parsfan, Tue 29 Oct 18:11

That's a very good point but I don't think they would agree.

They don't have to.

Has anyone ever heard "The Terrors" or "The Lions" used in casual conversation?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Tue 29 Oct 19:03

Quote:

Parsweep, Tue 29 Oct 18:32

Quote:

widtink, Tue 29 Oct 18:15

It was . I read up on it a few days ago . They put so much sand on it to get a cup tie against Albion rovers played , that the pitch resembled a desert .

^^^^ Correct!

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 29 Oct 19:48

As others have said, they're the Arabs due to their crap pitch having more sand than grass! Also means they can call Shankland "Lawrence of Arabia" on Sportsound.

I've never heard a normal person say "The Terrors". I've heard Livi Lions but I think it was said ironically.

Post Edited (Tue 29 Oct 21:32)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ronaldo  
Date:   Tue 29 Oct 22:37

When we played United in the Scottish Cup quarter-final at EEP in April '74, the song from the away end that day was: "Some sing of the Rangers, some sing of the Clyde, some sing of the Celtic and others besides, the team of the season we all must agree are the tangerine terrors from Bonnie Dundee."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Tue 29 Oct 23:25

There's a book called 'old dundee' that States street urchins in dundee were called 'Dundee Arabs' so could be that.

Bit like the Pars- btw I was always told it was an abbreviation of paralytic, describing the players performance.

I would never call them the terrors, just as I would never call Sunderland 'the black cats'
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 29 Oct 23:28

They loudly booed their team off at half-time tonight.Always get the feeling Neilson is just a result or two away from a crisis.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 29 Oct 23:50

Quote:

neils, Tue 29 Oct 23:25

There's a book called 'old dundee' that States street urchins in dundee were called 'Dundee Arabs' so could be that.

Bit like the Pars- btw I was always told it was an abbreviation of paralytic, describing the players performance.

I would never call them the terrors, just as I would never call Sunderland 'the black cats'

I don't think anyone knows the origin of Pars for sure. My favourite though is the banners the Plymouth workers at the dockyard bearing banners with Plymouth Argyle Rosyth Supporters. Most likely an abrieviation of parallel re our stripes though.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 30 Oct 00:23

Quote:

PARrot, Tue 29 Oct 23:50
I don't think anyone knows the origin of Pars for sure. My favourite though is the banners the Plymouth workers at the dockyard bearing banners with Plymouth Argyle Rosyth Supporters.

That's my least favourite theory. Cart before the horse.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: