DAFC.net
Home 18 November 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Derby sack Richard Keogh
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Wed 30 Oct 23:26

Update on this sorry affair....... Richard Keogh: Derby County sack captain for 'gross misconduct' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50242841

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Derby sack Richard Keogh
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 30 Oct 23:31

Without a club to fund and facilitate his rehab that is surely the end of his career.

Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dumpster  
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 07:28

Looks like Keogh has been made the scapegoat. It was Bennett and Lawrence who were found guilty of drink driving and leaving accident scene. Surely they should also be sacked? But, are Derby looking at the sell on values of Bennett and Lawrence compared to 33 yo high earner, Keogh? Smacks of a decision of convenience.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 07:55

Yeah that's pretty random that the apparently least culpable has the harshest punishment and the the above explanation is about the only one that works.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 08:06

Have they maybe been harder on him because he was Derby's captain?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 08:37

Quote:

widtink, Thu 31 Oct 08:06

Have they maybe been harder on him because he was Derby's captain?

If that's the case the employment tribunal will be interesting, can't treat employees differently
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 08:38

Harder on him as he is the only 1 of the 3 who was not actually drink driving or committing an offence (maybe travelling with no seat belt as a worst case) but is the only 1 of the 3 without a sell on value.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 09:01

Ultimately Derby County FC is a business. They were faced with having to continue to pay Keogh 24 thousand pounds every week for the next 8 months even though he was never going to kick a ball for them again. I suspect that had the other two suffered injuries that had rendered them unable to perform the job they are paid handsomely for then they too would have been sacked. He was told he could see out his contract but on reduced wages but declined. All that money and couldn't afford to just get a taxi.
I wonder how Keogh feels about his former colleagues who fled the scene and left him inside the crashed car unconscious for 45 minutes.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 11:50

"If that's the case the employment tribunal will be interesting, can't treat employees differently"

Somebody correct me if wrong please.

If he is guilty of gross misconduct then there will be no grounds to appeal to an employment tribunal.

You have to assume Derby County have taken legal advice before acting ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 12:35

Seemingly he was offered he could stay on at Derby with reduced wage , he refused Derbys offer and was ultimately sacked

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: coventrypar  
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 13:14

That's where their error is I suspect:
Seemingly he was offered he could stay on at Derby with reduced wage , he refused Derbys offer and was ultimately sacked

Sacked for gross misconduct or stay on for reduced wage …. so its gross misconduct or its not - tribunal/lawyer will tear up a good one and he will get full wage and still leave

"If you have no kind words to say you should say nothing more at all"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 13:51

Quote:

veteraneastender, Thu 31 Oct 11:50

"If that's the case the employment tribunal will be interesting, can't treat employees differently"

Somebody correct me if wrong please.

If he is guilty of gross misconduct then there will be no grounds to appeal to an employment tribunal.

You have to assume Derby County have taken legal advice before acting ?

He will have if others involved in the same incident are bring treated differently
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 14:23

"He will have if others involved in the same incident are bring treated differently"

treated different but guess its accepted because different outcomes (he is only one injured) and the others are pending formal court proceedings which will decide the level of criminality in their actions.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 14:27

The others have been to court already.

Bennett and Lawrence were fined six weeks' wages by the club, while Derby magistrates' court ordered the players to carry out 180 hours of unpaid work, gave them a 12-month community order and banned them from driving for two years.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 14:56

"Sacked for gross misconduct or stay on for reduced wage …. so its gross misconduct or its not - tribunal/lawyer will tear up a good one and he will get full wage and still leave"

What about this possibility ?

Derby County concluded that Keogh was personally negligent for accepting a lift in a car knowing the driver was under the influence of alcohol, and therefore put his own health and safety at risk needlesly.

He may well have rendered the club's insurance policy null and void by doing so ?

It doesn't look like a straightforward scenario, one way or the other.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 17:11

Media reports now saying that Keogh wasn't wearing a seat belt - that won't help his case.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 19:32

Maybe Keogh made them give him a lift? Perhaps he’s a bit of a walloper.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 19:42

^

That would make his position even more untenable, if true.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 20:34

Surely it must be as simple as this. I'd imagine that in his contract it will state that he must take all reasonable precautions and actions to allow himself to be available to play for Derby County FC.
He isn't because he didn't thus he was in breach of contract.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 21:51

Exactly.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 08:36

Sack Keogh and sign Rooney who plead guilty to 3 times over the limit...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 08:55

Derby’s position will be that Keogh rendered himself unemployable for a long period by avoidable reckless and negligent behaviour.

His problems are self inflicted.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 19:00

PFA to defend Keogh on grounds of unfair treatment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50322199

I noticed Lawrence scored for them on Saturday.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 19:08

Would he also have a case to sue the club as it was there employee which drunk drove and caused his injury?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 19:22

Quote:

DulochConvert, Wed 6 Nov 19:08

Would he also have a case to sue the club as it was there employee which drunk drove and caused his injury?

Keogh is a big boy now and would surely have been aware that his team mates were pissed and he should have

(a) done everything to dissuade them from driving
(b) threatened to call the police if (a) was unsuccessful
(c) called the police if (b) failed
(d) refused to get into the car.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 19:48

"Would he also have a case to sue the club as it was there employee which drunk drove and caused his injury?"

By accepting a lift in a vehicle driven by a colleague under the influence of alcohol he condoned an illegal act, likewise not wearing a seatbelt is illegal.

Therefore he contributed to his own injuries.

How can Derby County be held responsible for reckless or negligent criminal acts of their employees ?

As said earlier the club's insurance policy covering injuries to players is almost certainly rendered null and void.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 23:22

The question surely is, did he know his employees represents were above the drink drive limit. This would be very hard to prove, unless he bought them the alcohol and there are witnesses that they consumed in his presence.
Simply witnessing them taking a drink from a glass of unknown origin isn’t substantial evidence.

Personally I have been on work night outs in my youth, resulting in a condition that I couldn’t walk. I would have always accepted a lift from another colleague that had been at the same function, I would automatically presume that he was legal to drive. The same presumption I make who I get into any passenger seat
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Thu 7 Nov 07:16

I have no real problem with the punishment of Keogh - the issue is the difference with the other players who were equally, if not more at fault. They were less badly injured (now fit and back playing) and therefore less of a burden. They are also considerably younger and therefore financially more valuable.

To claim they had no choice with Keogh but have the other players back in the team already frankly stinks and is an example of everything that is wrong with football at the top level just now.

If I were a Derby supporter I would be appalled and embarrassed by the complete lack of ethics displayed by my club.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 7 Nov 13:01

"Simply witnessing them taking a drink from a glass of unknown origin isn’t substantial evidence."

Lawrence pled guilty to the drink driving offence, as well as fleeing the scene of the accident.

Post Edited (Thu 07 Nov 13:10)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: