DAFC.net
Home 18 November 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Anthony Macdonald "gone back to Hearts"?
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 06:02

There's a comment on P&B that loanee Anthony Macdonald's not going to be playing for us at all and has returned to Tynecastle, so it seems that we still have a significant problem on our left wing.

Crawford opted for the experience of McDonald over the creativity and speed of young Vinnie Steels when selecting his fourth loan for the summer. With hindsight, that's turned out to be a mistake.

That leaves us with young Josh Coley as our only out-and-out left-winger, with McCann and Kiltie as (out of position) options to fill that slot. TBH, none is ideal.

Come January, we should be looking to permanently sign a left-winger as it is imperative that we have a balance on the attacking flanks. A left-footed clone of Dow would be perfect.

Kiltie has thankfully improved of late and is linking better with Dow, Nisbet and Ryan, but I am not all that taken with Cochrane. All-in-all, Stevie's dealings in the loan market have been fairly ordinary.

In contrast, with very few exceptions, he's done pretty well with the permanent summer signings. The majority of them are settling well and starting to make very good progress.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Anthony Macdonald "gone back to Hearts"?
Topic Originator: hudza  
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 07:00

We don’t play with any wingers. Dow and whoever is on the left are usually more inside than being on the wing.
i fully agree that we need to add width to the team
[IP address logged]
 Re: Anthony Macdonald
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 07:23

Of course, Dow is a winger. He's one of the most effective right-wingers for the Pars since Ian McCall and that is going back a wee while. Sure, he's going to cut inside now and again, but so did the best wingers ever to play in Britain - Jimmy Johnstone and Stanley Matthews...

EDIT: I added Sir Stanley just so I don't upset the auld pedants.

:)

Post Edited (Fri 01 Nov 07:26)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 07:40

Wouldn't be surprised if Cochrane is also recalled so the new manager whoever it may be can have a look.

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 07:49

''Crawford opted for the experience of McDonald over the creativity and speed of young Vinnie Steels when selecting his fourth loan for the summer. With hindsight, that's turned out to be a mistake.''

McDonald's only 18 so he's hardly 'experienced'. How was SC supposed to anticipate that the minor injury he was carrying when he signed would turn out to be more complicated? Presumably Hearts didn't anticipate this either. Not everything that happens in football is predictable but bad luck is.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: livipar2  
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 07:59

Pars had the foresight to ensure that aren’t paying his wages while he is out with this injury - sure I read that a while ago?

Also sure SC said recently that he was close to fitness?

Him, Thomson and Murray returning adds a lot of depth to the squad with all 3 likely first choice when fully fit.

Mon the Pars!!!!!!!!!!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 09:17

McDonald said on twitter a couple weeks back he was close to getting back. Maybe he's had another setback since then or this could just be part of the rumour mill, annoying as I think he would compliment our attacking options nicely. If not I'm sure we're looking at other options to come in. We aren't paying his wage right now so that's good at least
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 09:55

On Pie and Bovril = the truth

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 11:54

Quote:

OzPar, Fri 1 Nov 06:02

There's a comment on P&B that loanee Anthony Macdonald's not going to be playing for us at all and has returned to Tynecastle, so it seems that we still have a significant problem on our left wing.

Crawford opted for the experience of McDonald over the creativity and speed of young Vinnie Steels when selecting his fourth loan for the summer. With hindsight, that's turned out to be a mistake.

That leaves us with young Josh Coley as our only out-and-out left-winger, with McCann and Kiltie as (out of position) options to fill that slot. TBH, none is ideal.

Come January, we should be looking to permanently sign a left-winger as it is imperative that we have a balance on the attacking flanks. A left-footed clone of Dow would be perfect.

Kiltie has thankfully improved of late and is linking better with Dow, Nisbet and Ryan, but I am not all that taken with Cochrane. All-in-all, Stevie's dealings in the loan market have been fairly ordinary.

In contrast, with very few exceptions, he's done pretty well with the permanent summer signings. The majority of them are settling well and starting to make very good progress.

Vinnie is avaliable still i think he would be a good signing
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 12:02

Steels hasn't kicked a ball all season and was injured most of last.Still young and worth keeping an eye on but not what we need just now-another lightweight.Not sure if he is injured again as he hasn't been in recent Burnley under 23 squads and when I followed him earlier in the season was often an unused sub.

McDonald's been back at Hearts for the last month and won't return until fit if at all

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/anthony-mcdonald-update-manager-details-hearts-midfielders-injury-642664

Post Edited (Fri 01 Nov 12:39)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 12:47

Quote:

parathletic, Fri 1 Nov 12:02

Steels hasn't kicked a ball all season and was injured most of last.Still young and worth keeping an eye on but not what we need just now-another lightweight.Not sure if he is injured again as he hasn't been in recent Burnley under 23 squads and when I followed him earlier in the season was often an unused sub.

McDonald's been back at Hearts for the last month and won't return until fit if at all

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/anthony-mcdonald-update-manager-details-hearts-midfielders-injury-642664

He isnt injured and one of the fittest guys down there .there is big internal issues at the club right now with the powers who ar promoting the younger players
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 12:53

I read that their under 23 team is unbeaten all season in 13 matches?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 13:33

Quote:

parathletic, Fri 1 Nov 12:02

He looks strikingly like a young CR7 in that pic. If he's even a 10th of the player.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 15:27

Oz, Dow has done really well for us on the right wing, but I don't think he's an out and out winger. I thought in the past he had played all over the front line or in behind the striker.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 08:31

Yeah, not sure Dow is an out and out winger either. Doing a good decent job the now but never seems to be out on the touch line and the team has no width.

Coley is too raw, this level of football is too high for him so feels like a wasted loan but kiltie is starting to show up well but has very little pace.

Given the talk about Cochran’s I expected more, no physical presence and posted missing for large parts of games. Hasn’t offered anything so far.

Would like to see us loan in some experience instead of blooding other teams raw youngsters at the same time as our own so the team ends up too raw and inexperienced at this level.

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 08:44

Berkey, where are these mythical midfield players you are always coveting who are physical, mobile, skilful, quick, and street-wise? If there any around I suspect they are playing at a much higher level than the Scottish Championship. You don't seem to appreciate that managers at our level have to compromise when considering the attributes of the players within their budget.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 08:55

Is it a coincidence that imo we have been at our best this season when Coley has been on the park? I'm thinking first half against Dundee and second half against Ayr.Whilst the end product hasn't always been there he offers an outlet to get us up the park and stay there and offers us balance.It's a surprise to me that he has only started 3 games. I think he can still offer plenty during the rest of the season particularly against teams playing a high defensive line.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 10:33

Quote:

parathletic, Sat 2 Nov 08:55

Is it a coincidence that imo we have been at our best this season when Coley has been on the park? I'm thinking first half against Dundee and second half against Ayr.Whilst the end product hasn't always been there he offers an outlet to get us up the park and stay there and offers us balance.It's a surprise to me that he has only started 3 games. I think he can still offer plenty during the rest of the season particularly against teams playing a high defensive line.

It's no coincidence. Coley has bags of talent and is very quick, a combination defenders hate. Yes, his end product and decision making are not yet at the same level as his skills, but the coaching staff have a player they can develop and improve. It's just a pity he's not our player, but perhaps if he does well, he may want to stay with us and Norwich will be prepared to release him at the end of his contract.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: