DAFC.net
Home 20 November 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Motherwell
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 21:42

Motherwell have certainly shown that fan ownership can work and complete at the top level .
Motherwell Football Club is delighted to announce that it has repaid its debts to former owners John Boyle and Les Hutchison.

Following the transition to the current fan-ownership model in October 2016, the club has been able to repay both parties through effective player trading.

The final outstanding balances have been settled with both. In total, over £1,500,000 has been paid back over the period.

The repayment to both individuals marks a significant milestone in the club’s move towards long-term viability.

The only external debt now owed by the club is to five Motherwell-supporting individuals. It totals around £80,000, with extremely favourable repayment terms that the club anticipates will be cleared soon.

“From the moment the Well Society took over the majority interest in Motherwell Football Club, our collective energy has been firmly focused on ensuring the club is sustainable on a medium to long-term basis,” Motherwell FC chairman Jim McMahon said.

“A key part of that has been eliminating the debt we inherited and we have now almost achieved that. For the club to have paid back such a significant amount in just over two years is a remarkable feat.

“I want to thank those who have worked so hard to help us achieve that, including chief executive Alan Burrows, the management, coaching and recruitment staff, the current board of directors at the club, as well as the Well Society board, members and Motherwell supporters.

“I also thank John Boyle and Les Hutchison for their support over the years.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Motherwell
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 21:58

I think the main source of funds to enable them to pay off these debts was transfer fees. I'm sure that's part of our strategy too but it's not as easy to achieve for a Championship club.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 1 Nov 23:58

When Motherwell went into administration were they only in debt to directors?

Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 00:07

I guess in the years since the Lifeline was launched, Pars Fans must have raised around £1,000,000 or so. What do we get for that? That money should be going into a fan ownership model.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 07:10

Quote:

red-star-par, Sat 2 Nov 00:07

I guess in the years since the Lifeline was launched, Pars Fans must have raised around £1,000,000 or so. What do we get for that? That money should be going into a fan ownership model.

What's the difference between that and what we presently have? Pros and cons please
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 09:37

Although is is good that Motherwell have almost cleared their historic debt the reality is they have just dropped lucky. They have had a lad come through the ranks who they have moved on for a significant sum. They are also a lucky that their creditors were former directors who weren't chasing the club for repayment. There are few if any fan owned clubs in the full-time game that survive on non external funding. Clubs like Dunfermline are fortunate to have a board who run a tight ship and a loyal support that digs deep so the club can exist. Hopefully one day soon a young lad will break into the top team and catch the eye. But untill then it will be a roller coaster especially in the championship.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: