DAFC.net
Home 18 November 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 AJ returns to EEP
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 10:08

There can be little doubt that AJ will want to show everyone connected with the Pars that his sacking was a big mistake. I fancy he will have his new team well fired up today and if he can transmit that determination to his players we'll be in for a very tough afternoon. One goal may be enough to decide the game either way, but I think the most probable outcome is a low scoring draw.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: AJ returns to EEP
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 10:26

I fancy our chances today SC and the team will also be wanting to prove that it was the correct decision.. I fancy a 3-0 win today!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 10:33

Difficult game to call who will win GG
I'm sure AJ has a point to prove and try and get one over us but at the same time Stevie has the same agenda to show he is the right man at the helm and I am sure that SC will have us firing on all cylinders to get the 3 points
Might end up being the same as the Arbroath game the other night not very pretty but if we can produce the same desire and effort as the second half we will win it and with Morton getting beat last night it is a chance to move clear of them and QOS,
We all know who there danger men are ! keep the ball away from Dobbie and that's half the battle done , Hamilton is a danger man for them along with oliver
but we have our own danger men who will be hungry to do well today again at home and climb the league ,
so i will be looking for a 2-1, 3-1 win for us
Cmon ye pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 10:50

Nervy about this one, the AJ factor, and our record v Queens in first of the
two home games v them in recent seasons is awful. Think it has been two
0 v 1's and that 2 v 5. Not a fixture we do well in of late.

Is this Fais's first game at EEP vs us as well?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 11:10

It'll be interesting to see what kind of a reception AJ is given, as well as our ex-players. I hope they are applauded or at least not booed. AJ and Fais gave us a great first season in our title winning League 1 campaign after the misery of the previous season.

Is Calum Fordyce likely to play? I always liked him and he was very unlucky to suffer that horrible leg break and then rushed back when not fully fit.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 11:16

Dont think it will be anything similar to Arbroath in tuesday. AJ will go with Dobbie and Faiss up top and try to get at us which will create more space in the game.

Would be good to get 2 wingers on the park today, get at them and get service to the strikers.

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 11:21

I fancy for the 3rd home game in a row to see our boys kicked off the park. But all so 3rd home win in a row.

3-1

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.

Post Edited (Sat 02 Nov 11:22)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 11:43

Quote:

Connor560, Sat 2 Nov 11:16

Dont think it will be anything similar to Arbroath in tuesday. AJ will go with Dobbie and Faiss up top and try to get at us which will create more space in the game.

Would be good to get 2 wingers on the park today, get at them and get service to the strikers.

Dobbie and fais won't be up top, fais has been playing on the left side of midfield.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 11:55

GG Riva is spot on.

AJ ,Sandy and our former players deserve a sporting welcome today.

They got us within touching distance of a return to the Premiership.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 12:11

We should win if El Bakhtaoui is playing.
It's like playing against 10 men.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 12:12

He’ll get a wee cheer from me - he always liked ma buns.

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kaiser Chief  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 12:29

Quote:

GG Riva, Sat 2 Nov 11:10

It'll be interesting to see what kind of a reception AJ is given, as well as our ex-players. I hope they are applauded or at least not booed. AJ and Fais gave us a great first season in our title winning League 1 campaign after the misery of the previous season.

Is Calum Fordyce likely to play? I always liked him and he was very unlucky to suffer that horrible leg break and then rushed back when not fully fit.

Calum plays for Airdrie these days GG.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 14:30

I was shocked to read that he is only 27.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neilholland999  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 15:27

Quote:

sadindiefreak, Sat 2 Nov 12:11

We should win if El Bakhtaoui is playing.
It's like playing against 10 men.

He'll end up scoring against us now you've said that
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 15:49

Subbed after 40mins

🔩 ya 🚀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dafc1996  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 15:50

Aj making subs that early.... unlike him

Post Edited (Sat 02 Nov 15:51)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 15:54

Injured
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BlackLight  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 15:55

Doubly entertaining. Pars fans proved right and wrong simultaneously.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 17:58

AJ made subs? Wow

Get it up him. He set the club back years by signing absolute trash.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 18:20

Quote:

Row_ZZ, Sat 2 Nov 17:58

AJ made subs? Wow

Not sure how you came to that conclusion, ZZ. When AJ was appointed, we were in League one, having ended the season in 7th place. We were regularly getting gubbed by the likes of Stranraer, Stenhousemuir, Brechin and Forfar. He took us up to the Championship and established us in this league, including a play off place in his 3rd season, where we lost out in unfortunate circumstances.

I do agree that he had to go when he did as the club wasn't making the progress it had hoped for, but he didn't "set the club back years."

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 18:33

To be fair to QoS, they were nowhere near as dirty as Arbroath. They did have their moments later on and if Andy Ryan was booked for an innocuous tackle, they should have had a further 2 yellow cards but they weren't as viscious and sneaky as Arbroath.

Post Edited (Sat 02 Nov 18:33)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 18:39

According to the BBC we conceded 3 fouls to Queens' 15. On Tuesday we conceded 4 to Arbroath's 17. Only 7 fouls in two games is incredible and says a lot about how we play.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kessel  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 18:57

Pretty easy win in the end. QOS performed as you'd expect a team to that's run by AJ - total garbage.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FA1968  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 19:24

0 attempts at goal on target!! That stat has AJ All over it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 19:35

Great win for the team. We have a lot to be thankful to AJ for but to be honest I think he hit his peak and struggled to find a way forward with us, going with Crawford was always a risk but we are starting to see what he's wanted to do with this squad. It's been a rollercoaster start to the season as most would've expected. This is certainly an up part of the season for us after the downer beforehand. I thought people overreacted a bit (shocking I know...) About Crawford and the players. We have been trying to figure out a system that suits the players we have and it seems like now we're starting to find our groove. It helps that the injuries seem to have died down and we also have Thomson coming back (McDonald as well possibly). Just keep encouraging the boys to improve and develop and this club will see progress. Realistically aiming to do what Motherwell have done is probably our best target in the long term. Just glad to see hungry players at the club again
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 19:45

Quote:

Kessel, Sat 2 Nov 18:57

Pretty easy win in the end. QOS performed as you'd expect a team to that's run by AJ - total garbage.

That's not how I saw it, Kessel. The game started fairly quietly but the Pars grew into the game and only the alertness of McRorie in goal prevented us taking a half-time lead. We ramped it up in the 2nd half and deservedly went ahead. After that Queens were far more adventurous and dangerous. I kept looking at my watch and only relaxed when Nisbet added a 2nd goal. After that some QOS players let themselves down with some stupid, needless fouls, but overall it was a decent game and our opponents helped to make it one.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 19:55

Think Kessel and FA1968 are being a bit too hard on AJ. After all it's not him who is trying to take pot shots on the pitch. If a player can't hit the target with a shot, the guy in the dugout can't do much about that. Did they not beat Dundee Utd 4-0, just two weeks ago? They played to their strengths today but thankfully our strengths were more than a match for them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 21:16

AJ and FEB deserve credit for getting us to where we are now
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 22:17

Good riddance to them I say, Both were well passed their sell by date at EEP.
We never progressed in this league under AJs tenure,in fact we are still dealing with the mess he left behind.

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 22:27

He established us as a Championship club after we'd been stuck in the doldrums. Some fans have very short memories.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bouncer  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 22:50

I only have a couple of observations from today.
AJ looks ill & McCrorie in goals looks an excellent prospect.

2014/15 Squealadeal Prediction League Champion

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 23:51

Quote:

Row_ZZ, Sat 2 Nov 17:58

AJ made subs? Wow

That's absolute bollocks. Things went wrong in his last year in charge but I look at the whole picture of a manager's tenure and he did really well. He lost 3 or 4 very good players at the start of last season for absolutely no money in return that made it very hard to replace on our budget.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mainstand83  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 08:12

AJ was certainly more vocal today than he ever was whilst in charge off the Pars.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 12:32

AJ did well for us for 3 seasons, then had a bad half of a season where it seemed he genuinely had just lost touch. Poor signings, strange selections, and also the loss of 4 players who he had relied on heavily in the previous season. It’s a shame how it ended but end it did. Let’s not rewrite history in it’s entirety though, like I said three good seasons and one awful one. Still got us to where we needed to be and his football was on the whole pretty good (with the occasional stinker thrown in).

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 14:16

Quote:

Mainstand83, Sun 3 Nov 08:12

AJ was certainly more vocal today than he ever was whilst in charge off the Pars.

Noticed that as well .
I heard him shouting at his players during the 2nd half . Something I can't recall him doing in his time with us .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DrumRoad  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 14:17

Topic Originator: rossmcno1
Date: Sun 3 Nov 12:32

“AJ did well for us for 3 seasons, then had a bad half of a season where it seemed he genuinely had just lost touch”

Sorry but I must have attended an EEP in a parallel universe, IMO it was 3 poor seasons & one where he did well & we achieved promotion from the third tier of Scottish football to the second tier where he left us precariously floundering

He rebuilt the squad twice almost entirely, with a budget well superior to many of our peers but could not get a cohesive performance from any of them...... queue the mass clear outs at not insubstantial costs to DAFC

I won’t say he didn’t try his best, but his best proved to be woefully inadequate

2015/16 League one Winners
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AB Loyal  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 14:22

echo Row_ZZ's sentiments. get it up him.

The Prophet - 12/07/18, 13/06/19
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 14:36

My lasting memory is of him being a stubborn Tw*t and refusing to make substitutions.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 14:50

He signed players good enough to get us promoted and then signed Morris, Clark, Aird and McManus who moved on for more money. It's not his fault that, under freedom of contract, players can move on with no compensation to their clubs. He also signed Ashcroft who has become a fixture at EEP and Jackson Longridge whose transfer fee helped finance the present crop of players. Listening to Ross McArthur it was obvious there were no hard feelings when AJ left and both parties accepted that these things happen in football. It's a shame some fans don't have the class to feel the same way.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 15:02

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 3 Nov 14:50

He signed players good enough to get us promoted and then signed Morris, Clark, Aird and McManus who moved on for more money. It's not his fault that, under freedom of contract, players can move on with no compensation to their clubs. He also signed Ashcroft who has become a fixture at EEP and Jackson Longridge whose transfer fee helped finance the present crop of players. Listening to Ross McArthur it was obvious there were no hard feelings when AJ left and both parties accepted that these things happen in football. It's a shame some fans don't have the class to feel the same way.

Another way of looking at it is players didn't seem to want to hang around under AJ.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 15:16

How many players would hang around under any manager if they could improve their wages elsewhere? We all know how football works.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 15:39

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 3 Nov 15:16

How many players would hang around under any manager if they could improve their wages elsewhere? We all know how football works.

Can't comment as I'm not party to the wages of the players, but I know what you mean.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 15:45

I'm not party to that information either but surely everyone accepts that Morris, Clark, Aird and McManus moved for more money
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 16:14

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 3 Nov 15:45

I'm not party to that information either but surely everyone accepts that Morris, Clark, Aird and McManus moved for more money

Not necessarily the full picture so can't assume it was just down to that. I would imagine players weigh up a range of factors including wages but other factors such as how you get on with a manager or positions you are asked to play can also be an influence.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 16:24

So Fraser Aird made a last-minute change of mind to sign for Dundee United for non-financial reasons?!!! Everybody and their dog knows United and Ross County had budgets that far exceeded ours.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 17:02

Quote:

CrossPar, Sun 3 Nov 16:14

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 3 Nov 15:45

Not necessarily the full picture so can't assume it was just down to that. I would imagine players weigh up a range of factors including wages but other factors such as how you get on with a manager or positions you are asked to play can also be an influence.

Well, I was told by someone I consider to be 100% reliable that Morris doubled his salary by moving to Dingwall. McManus wanted to stay but again the Pars couldn't match Ross County's offer. Aird and Clark both got a better deal at Tannadice.

Some people make far too much of players liking/disliking the manager. It's an open secret that Faissal was very upset with AJ when he left to sign for Dundee. It was widely assumed that he'd never play for him again.......

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gwh18  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 22:45

Morris moved cause he wanted to be down South closer to his family 😉

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 22:52

If players contracts are allowed to run down then you always run the risk of losing them-the problem was the contingency plan was inadequate if there was one.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 12:01

Quote:

parathletic, Sun 3 Nov 22:52

If players contracts are allowed to run down then you always run the risk of losing them-the problem was the contingency plan was inadequate if there was one.

We don't know what goes on behind closed doors though. Fais for example was offered a very good deal to extend his contract but he/agent allowed the clock to run down leaving us with absolutely nothing.

I think when we're in a position to offer 3 year contracts, we can finally begin to get cash for our real prospects who move on.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 14:05

We would have known from the January that there was a possibility that those out of contract would move on-you've got to have a plan B in place for that eventuality otherwise it's poor management. I appreciate that in that season we didn't know what division we would be in the following year and financially we weren't in a position to offer long term deals but you still have to make alternative plans.There wasn't much we could do to prevent the players moving on but it shouldn't have been panic stations when it did happen.There may have been a reluctance from the club to offer deals as we had aspirations of getting promoted and may have been looking for a higher calibre of player but you need to have all angles covered-that's part of being a good manager.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 5 Nov 00:07

A month ago the players were all duds. Fast forward 4 weeks and we should be signing them on 3 year deals.

Unbelievable

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Nov 08:10

Quote:

parathletic, Mon 4 Nov 14:05

We would have known from the January that there was a possibility that those out of contract would move on-you've got to have a plan B in place for that eventuality otherwise it's poor management. I appreciate that in that season we didn't know what division we would be in the following year and financially we weren't in a position to offer long term deals but you still have to make alternative plans.There wasn't much we could do to prevent the players moving on but it shouldn't have been panic stations when it did happen.There may have been a reluctance from the club to offer deals as we had aspirations of getting promoted and may have been looking for a higher calibre of player but you need to have all angles covered-that's part of being a good manager.

As you yourself have indicated in your post, it's a very complex situation. Why do you think it was panic stations? Players and their agents are very reluctant to pen new deals until they've explored all their options. It would take a remarkable offer to tempt any player to sign a new deal in January and our club is in no position to offer any player silly money.

If AJ had a fault it was that he wanted to be sure he got the best players (in his opinion) available within the club's budget. This resulted in some of these players who had indicated a willingness to sign, eventually plumping for another club with lesser players also getting fixed up in the interim, so then he'd end up with a poor pool to choose from.

As I understand it, from what was said at the last Supporters meeting, the main problem last season wasn't so much a lack of quality within the squad, but a very poor attitude among a significant number of players in that squad. Reading between the lines, it would appear that most - If not all - of those players are no longer at EEP.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Nov 13:19

I don't want to get drawn in to slagging off AJ now he's gone as on the whole he did a decent enough job.I just felt part of his downfall along with his tactical naivety and ability to change a game was his efforts to replace those who left.The poor attitude in the squad was presumably created by players he had signed and worked with previously-it's a manager's job to nip that in the bud and motivate players.He seemed to sign players he had worked with in the past and I'm not sure how far he looked beyond that. He made one or two decent signings but we lacked a centre forward all season and that nearly got us relegated.The signings of Muirhead,Connolly,Durnan,Martin and Hippolyte, none of whom had done particularly well at their previous clubs, was a dangerous strategy that didn't work.There didn't seem to be a clear strategy to identify the areas we needed improving in.We had wingers playing up front, midfielders playing at full back and strikers out on the wing.He also decided to let a couple of players go and brought in inferior replacements(no need to mention any names)

I get why you would sign players you have worked with before as the theory is that you know how they operate and a bit about their character but sometimes you need to broaden your horizons. It looks like he has adopted a similar strategy at QOTS-let's see how that goes.So far they've had a decent win over Dundee Utd but even with that they are the lowest scorers in the division with the best striker and if he gets injured(or even not) they could be in a relegation dogfight.From afar it looks like he hasn't learned from his mistakes-time will tell.

Post Edited (Tue 05 Nov 13:30)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Nov 13:52

Quote:

da_no_1, Tue 5 Nov 00:07

A month ago the players were all duds. Fast forward 4 weeks and we should be signing them on 3 year deals.

Unbelievable

1) I never called them duds.

2) I was making a general point about our prospects/assets going for nothing over the years due to short yearly contracts.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: