DAFC.net
Home 20 November 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Are we on the verge of something good?
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 12:14

14 points from our last 7 games which includes only one defeat - last Saturday's loss at Tannadice where we played well but gifted two goals to Dundee United - indicates we are on a good run of form. Although some fans branded our football in the early part of the season 'dire', I always thought we were trying to play football on the deck with good movement and passing without always finding the final pass or shot that could turn losses or draws into wins. No doubt a lot of work the fans don't see is being done on the training ground and is now paying dividends. 8 of yesterday's starting line-up were signed by Stevie Crawford and, of these, only Scully was here at the end of last season and Edwards, Turner and Nisbet hadn't played at Championsip level or above before, so there has been a big job integrating the players into a team. We still have the likes of Murray, Thomson, McDonald and Lang who have hardly kicked a ball so far and a few other promising youngsters coming through.

Have you seen enough to suggest we are on the verge of something good or is there still the possibility that the light we see at the end of the tunnel is an express train heading our way?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Are we on the verge of something good?
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 12:25

More to come I think, which is really exciting!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: YankeeDollar  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 12:32

I'd like to think so.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 12:32

Certainly on the right trajectory and exciting times.I still worry we may be muscled out of some games in the foreseeable future but we are building long term.I sincerely hope we don't lose Kiltie in January as that would be a blow.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 12:36

I'm quite optimistic about the long term future of the club.

Like I said before, we should be realistic about our aims this season. We will have the rough as well as the smooth as the team finds themselves both on and off the field.
I've been very critical of our strategy the last few years with chopping the squad with haste at the end of the season leaving us having to essentially start again.

It takes time for players to gel, form bonds with each other and garner a team spirit and I feel we can now do that by keeping this squad together for longer than one season.

Finally we are winning the home fans over with three wins in a row at EEP. This is very encouraging and will give the players confidence.

With Joe Thompson on his way back and others, we will have a stronger choice to play with.

Small concerns up front as if Dow and/or Nisbet get injured we would be very weak in that area and hope we can strengthen in that department in the transfer windows.

As long as fans remain realistic and not expect too much this season and get right behind this squad, we could be on a verge of much happier times.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere

Post Edited (Sun 03 Nov 12:37)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 12:37

I've always seen a lot of merit in something Shankly ( or Paisley) once said. " A team is like a grand piano - you need 8 to carry it and 3 to play it". I don't think it's a coincidence that we slumped when Dow was injured and Kiltie wasn't on the scene. Their movement and pace in the final third puts us on the front foot, causes teams problems and make space for the likes of Turner to find them. Nisbet brings something extra as well when he's playing well. When you have players like these who are playing the proverbial piano it lifts everyone - everyone looks better, sharper and more confident knowing that we carry a threat up front. I think that all teams have a few players they rely on to be at their best and who look so much better when they're playing. If the aforementioned stay fit and on form I think we'll win a lot of games.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 12:51

Past couple of weeks we haven’t been punting it up top, we have been playing some good football with keeping it on the deck, makes a huge difference
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 12:53

It seemed largely self evident to me that to build a new team and philosophy would take a bit of time i.e. longer than a few months.

Can understand why folk moaned though, we have been dire for large spells and there's few things as illogical as the emotional tie to a football team.

Great that it's slowly improving.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 12:57

I don't think so, not this season anyway.

Welcome as that was yesterday, it's the first genuinely good 90 minutes in a league game while there have been quite a few genuinely bad ones. Obviously I hope to see a sustained run of good results but it seems unlikely when considering everything I've watched this season.

For now, it's just nice to have won a couple of games in a row and to have some hope that it can continue.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 13:11

''Obviously I hope to see a sustained run of good results but it seems unlikely when considering everything I've watched this season.''

That seems to fly in the face of logic, Socks. We've only lost one in seven and we played well for most of that game. I would say the only outright bad performance in the league was the home game to DU. Arbroath was poor but the conditions were farcical. In all the other games there have been glimpses of good stuff. It's still a work in progress but I think we're moving in the right direction.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 13:53

I see a bond between the Team, Manager and Fans and now Stevie has the team playing well.
Good times ahead roll on Saturday!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 13:56

I don't think my comment is illogical at all, but perhaps our respective ideas of what makes a sustaned run of form differ. I don't want to go too much into bad displays earlier in the season after such a good win yesterday, but I thought we were unimpressive at Palmerston, poor at home to Inverness (albeit slightly the better side and unlucky to lose) and atrocious at Gayfield (it annoys me that people play that down because of the wind), in addition to the home game against Dundee Utd you mention.

I woudn't be surprised if we finish in the protion play-offs this year but I wouldn't be surprised if we were relegated either. There isn't much in it and a few breaks either way make a big difference. As I say, I'd rather just enjoy a good win this weekend and hope for another next week.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 14:50

Wait, is this a positive thread?

I'm with Socks: we're getting more seaworthy, but there's still a lot of big waves in this ocean. You don't want to get "carried away."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 14:53

The purpose of the thread was to 'test the water'. Nobody's 'going overboard'.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 14:56

Its a tight league and we have said it before that all teams are capable of taking points of each other ...... I think we are playing as well as anyone ......I think we are going the right way
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 15:10

Are we on the verge of something good? Well it's a heck of a lot better than the doom and gloom of a few weeks ago where so many couldn't see anything positive in our setup. But there are very promising signs all over the pitch. It's amazing the confidence that can spread through a team when they become aware that they are actually quite good together. A wee bit more development and experience of the players and we could become very difficult to beat. A bit more strength of character and belief in the team and we can start winning more games away from home and rack up a few more points.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Inchkeithpar  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 15:49

I’d like to hope so! Only thing I’m bothered about just now is staying up, 8 points off bottom and 6 off relegation play off. A lot better reading than a few weeks ago anyway
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 16:00

keep waiting to see HERMANS HERMITS but since no one else has..........
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 16:33

I like Alex Neil's (Preston manager) quote re rumours of him moving elsewhere: "When you're hot, you're hot, when you're not, you're not. In a couple of weeks people will be saying how hopeless I am. We're really pleased with our start but nothing's won after 15 games." Just about sums up the DAFC situation too I feel. Let's enjoy it while it lasts!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 16:55

Fantastic run of form, but it’s a topsy turvy league. We could quite easily go on a 4 game losing run. Just the nature of the beast. Certainly looking a lot better. Not getting my hopes up of play-offs, but we should be comfortably above the bottom two. Partick look absolutely shoite and Alloa’s honeymoon Championship era is going to come to an end.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 17:03

^^^^
...... and it seems only a few weeks ago that Ian McCall was the new Messiah! Still the case?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 17:11

Quote:

yorkiepar, Sun 3 Nov 17:03

^^^^
...... and it seems only a few weeks ago that Ian McCall was the new Messiah! Still the case?

No but in a month he might be. And the month after he might be getting it tight again.

Our season will be up and down - that's the reality. Let's not over react to the high points or low points.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 17:53

I have the utmost admiration for wee eck and his repeated efforts to maximise the "bounce" produced by recent results, but sometimes I think the excessive caution and "let's not get carried away" attitude is an ingrained Scottish trait. Kelty Par once opined that it's down to our strict, Calvanistic upbringing. ☹

You can see by reading through this thread that some folk are almost frightened to think that eck may actually be thinking along the right lines. It's amazing how much of a boost a win or two can give to the squad's confidence.

I'll be working with a couple of players at Canmore PS tomorrow and I can guarantee they'll be buzzing.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 18:14

That was a good performance yesterday, and the players knew it too, as was obvious by the way they came across to the fans after the match.

Just as a few weeks ago was too early to be despondent, it is still too early to be complacent. But not too early to be optimistic!

The two teams above us play each other next week, so a win against Alloa would see us make up ground on one or both.

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Granthamspar  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 18:15

As my old neighbour always said ‘always be an optimistic, not a misty optic’..... He was a sandwich short of a picnic mind....

Ross Smith
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 18:15

I didn't actually express an opinion. GGR, I was simply asking a question.

It is noticeable though that, when we're on a bad run, there are plenty on here saying they can't see it end but, when we're on a good run, probably the same people will say they can't see it last!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 18:29

Why do you say that it's probably the same people? On a quick scan of this thread, I think I'm the only one who has said directly that I think it's unlikely to be sustained for a long period. I certainly did not make any comment along the lines that the poor run of earlier in the season would last indefinitely.

Anyway, what is your opinion? You've very good at asking questions like this and trying to point out inconsistencies from others, but to me it seems unreasonable to do that unless you're prepared to put up an opinion of your own.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 18:47

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 3 Nov 18:15

I didn't actually express an opinion. GGR, I was simply asking a question.

It is noticeable though that, when we're on a bad run, there are plenty on here saying they can't see it end but, when we're on a good run, probably the same people will say they can't see it last!

I suppose if you're a pessimistic kind of person, a la Private Fraser from "Dads Army" fame, you could be in both camps, without changing your outlook on life. I would stop going to watch the Pars if I thought like that.

Tbf, most of us are eternal optimists. We all get down after a poor result/performance but by the time the next game comes along, we're convinced we can win it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 18:48

''Anyway, what is your opinion? You've very good at asking questions like this and trying to point out inconsistencies from others, but to me it seems unreasonable to do that unless you're prepared to put up an opinion of your own.''

I used to get accused of being perpetually optimistic now I'm being accused of not expressing an opinion. I simply asked the question to brighten up a dreary Sunday. People ask questions all the time on here to encourage a bit of discussion. I don't understand why you seem to see it as a personal matter.

For what it'w worth I think we'll be well clear of the relegation battle and be nearer the top of the league than the bottom.

Post Edited (Sun 03 Nov 18:59)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 18:53

I think the team is improving because it now has a settled look, both in terms of personnel and style of play.
We can still improve and have the additional options of Murray and Thomson to come in.
Every team has players that are integral and would be very difficult to replace. I think it's important that the club sits down soon with players like Dow, Ashcroft and Kiltie

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 19:50

Quote wee eck :-

Have you seen enough to suggest we are on the verge of something good or is there still the possibility that the light we see at the end of the tunnel is an express train heading our way?

Get yer ticket wee eck it is something good just make sure ye dinnae buy a return ticket or sit next to G.G.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KirklistonPar  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 20:14

Sshhhh! Don’t jinks us
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 20:33

Defo an improvement over the last few weeks but it couldn’t really have got a lot worse in terms of the dross on the park.

I still worry we’re too small and very timid in the tackle but we’ve won some important games now so the players have certainly come out fighting.

Will we make the playoffs? I doubt it but if we are not concerned with the bottom 2 spots for the remainder of the season that will be job well done given the gamble on young untried players.

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 20:34

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sun 3 Nov 19:50

Quote wee eck :-

Get yer ticket wee eck it is something good just make sure ye dinnae buy a return ticket or sit next to G.G.

Why no' like, ken?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 20:37

LOL GG just a wee jolly jape min ken

Post Edited (Sun 03 Nov 20:39)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 21:06

Since we have brought Andy Ryan in and played two up front the team has looked so much more balanced and Nesbit has become a different player with a strike partner to work with

Kiltie looks so much more comfortable playing in the supporting role

Much better set up of the team, just as it should be at EEP with teams thinking it’s a fortress and any point won is a bonus
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 21:15

Nice to see a positive comment from you 1970par
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 06:48

Yes, the team have been inconsistent but as others have written we have had a more settled shape and team recently. I was at the Queen's game at Palmerston and I agree with Socks that we were below par that day. What a difference on Saturday with so many players doing so well (watched on Pars TV). Good news is that we have Murray and Thomson to come back too.

I would like to see us get in another keeper in the January window. While Gill has pulled off some fine saves and is young, he seems to favour staying back and really doesn't like to come for high balls. At times he also seems to get caught on his heels and unable to dive.

I must say I have enjoyed watching the team so much more this season even when the results and performances were not what we wanted to see.

Just looked at the Fishy website Form Tables and over the last 6 games, we are third with 11 points with Dundee Utd 12 and Dundee 13. Let's hope it is onwards and upwards into the playoff places but as Socks has warned we may continue to be inconsistent, it is a very tight league and injuries to key players could hit us again (as Dow's absence did earlier).
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 06:56

The two up front has turned us from being dreadfully boring to watch to playing entertaining football

Perhaps Stevie Crawford is learning that it’s an entertainment business and as fans we pay to be entertained and to watch some decent attacking football not what we were being served up earlier in the season

If we can continue to play this way then there is no reason that we can’t continue to climb the table

Post Edited (Mon 04 Nov 07:45)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 07:36

wee eck's question looks rhetorical.

The last few weeks have been thoroughly entertaining and encouraging.

Sadly ,it is not being reflected by Attendances which remain 15% down on one year ago.

The Management,Coaching and Playing staff ,frankly,deserve better.

The Fair Weather Fans are missing out.

We will have the return of Euan Murray and Joe Thomson very soon but I too fear the impact if we had injuries in some key areas.

The Board really must consider longer contracts for some players who,clearly,have revived our prospects.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 08:14

Quote:

Sliema Par, Mon 4 Nov 07:36

wee eck's question looks rhetorical.

The last few weeks have been thoroughly entertaining and encouraging.

Sadly ,it is not being reflected by Attendances which remain 15% down on one year ago.

The Management,Coaching and Playing staff ,frankly,deserve better.

The Fair Weather Fans are missing out.

We will have the return of Euan Murray and Joe Thomson very soon but I too fear the impact if we had injuries in some key areas.

The Board really must consider longer contracts for some players who,clearly,have revived our prospects.

Offering longer contracts to players who are doing well is no guarantee that they will rush to put pen to paper, SP. All the players have agents who are constantly hocking them around other clubs. I give you Clark, Morris and Aird. That's before we examine our budget to see if we can afford to.

're attendances, any restaurant owner will tell you it's a lot easier to lose customers than to get them back. Whether you like it or not, fans are customers. A few bad games will put them off spending goo money to get depressed or angry. They will start to trickle back if the team continues to put in the kind of performance and result we saw on Saturday.

The likes of Murray and Thomson may have to sit on the bench and bide their time, if the current first choice XI continue their good form and stay clear of injury themselves. A nice selection problem for SC to have. 🙂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StuPar82  
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 09:29

We certainly look more of a team than we had done earlier in the season and good to see us getting a few goals under our belts as well. If we can continue in the current vein and excuse ourselves from a relegation dog fight then that would be the first big tick! Whilst it would be great to break into the playoff places, I don't underestimate the task of usurping one of the current top 4 incumbents (Utd, Ayr, Dundee, ICT) for what is still a young and growing team. The recent Dundee United thread highlights the financial gulf we face to some of these 'Premiership' clubs. Even ICT, who have been down a few seasons now, have the benefit of wealthy benefactors to 'invest' funds into the club to keep ends meeting. Ayr look like they're not going to fall into a post-McCall void anytime soon and, as we seen at EEP a few weeks ago, are literally willing to fight tooth and nail to stay up there.

Sliema, the drop in attendance - which you bring up frequently - is only really an issue if the figures are lower than the board's budgeting assumptions at the start of the season... and I am sure they will have been especially prudent this year. Whilst it is obvious that higher attendances are good and lower attendances are bad, we were always going to see a lower attendance this year for a number of factors: (1) last years season tickets would have largely been purchased/renewed on the strength of the 2017/2018 season, where we finished 4th, lost only two league games post-Christmas and were very unfortunate in the playoffs; (2) poor performances last season affecting this season's sales and (3) the pricing adjustments brought in, including those designed to block misuse of concession season tickets. Finally, throw in a change in strategy towards a longer term, youth development that was never going to yield instant success on the park, then although attendance apathy is disappointing, it can at least be understood.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: