DAFC.net
Home 11 November 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Andre Gomes
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 21:14

I seriously hope his football career isn’t over after that incident today. I felt for Son as there was no malice in the challenge from him but it was such a sickening sight to see Gomes leg in the aftermath. Fingers crossed he’s back on the pitch next season.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Andre Gomes
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 21:27

The referee didn't cover himself in glory. Initially booked Son, which is all his challenge merited but then upon seeing how badly injured Gomes was decided to escalate it to a red card.

Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 21:31

It looked similar to the injury Henrik Larsson got when playing in Lyon. Certainly won't see him this season, but hopefully he will be ok for next season?
Just hope it's not as bad as that horrific break suffered by Coventry's David Busst at Old Trafford. I remember Peter Schmeichel running away with his head in his hands.

On the subject of Son, I do hope his red card is rescinded. Atkinson was going to book him but then changed to a red, once he saw the injury.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 21:40

It was a poor challenge with no attempt to play the ball but I do agree that a yellow card would have sufficed. Son looked absolutely devastated once he realised the aftermath of it.
On Gomes, I hope he is able to play again although I fear it will be a long way back for him if he does make a recovery. Looked horrific.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 21:47

Thing about Henrik Larsson was that once they pinned him up and his leg healed he came back good as new and if I remember right good enough to score against us in the cup final a goal that VAR would certainly have disallowed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 07:28

A horrible accident, but never a red card. I think the ref changed his mind to try and placate some of the Everton players who were visibly angry and upset. It was a poor tackle but the injury was down to the way Gomes fell. A red card for a direct, potentially leg breaking challenge is fair enough but not that.

Will be interesting to see if Son's red card is downgraded. Do Spurs have to appeal it or can the referee committee make the decision without an appeal?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 08:58

I said the same thing about the ref seeing how bad the injury was before upgrading Sons card to a red, But my Nephew said VAR probably had a look and the replay wasn't shown because of the extent of the damage done to Gomes' leg

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 09:48

my first 3/4 views i couldnt decide if damage was done by Son or by the way he collided with Aurier afterwards.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 11:03

I had the game on but wasnt paying attention so I rewound the incident and rewound it again and paused it as I missed what happened as I'd focussed on Sons initial challenge.

That was a huge mistake as the freeze frame I ended up with had Gomes leg in what appeared to be an almost 180° degree position as to where it should have been. It looked horrific.

It was worse than the old Busst photo when he broke his leg against United. I really hope hes ok too.

Post Edited (Mon 04 Nov 11:04)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 11:18

It seems that he didn't collide with Aurier but caught his studs on the turf and broke and dislocated his ankle. The tackle by Son was a yellow card offence albeit he was still in a red mist about the elbow in the face by Gomes which was missed by the officials a few moments earlier. If the officials had picked up on that the unfortunate later event could have been avoided.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 11:45

The simple way to answer this is, if no broken leg had occurred, would anyone have said it was a red card offence?
Of course not.
Son's tackle wasn't the leg breaker but Gomez caught his studs in the turf.
It was simply a horrible accident and hope he gets his career back on track.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 12:35

The first frame of this wee video shows maybe more than catching his studs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLno2n9u8M0
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 13:28

Thankfully I've not seen it and I ain't gonna click on that link 😳

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 4 Nov 15:56

Big T Par

It is a few still pics not a video and it is not grotesque or I would not have posted it
Its the first pic that is interesting where Aurier appears to catch him on the ankle with his studs

I hope Gomes makes a full recovery and gets back playing again
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Tue 5 Nov 22:04

Red card overturned as it should be.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Swisspar  
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 18:07

My opinion was that after Son had caught him, he was caught but Aurier, despite that, Son should have been yellow carded for his earlier dive.

Post Edited (Wed 06 Nov 18:08)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Wed 6 Nov 23:06

Quote:

Swisspar, Wed 6 Nov 18:07

My opinion was that after Son had caught him, he was caught but Aurier, despite that, Son should have been yellow carded for his earlier dive.

That's was my thoughts. Nothing has been made of his ridiculous dive to win a penalty earlier in the game. Whether the tackle would have happened if he was on a yellow is another matter but it should have been second yellow for the tackle.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: