DAFC.net
Home 20 November 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 + GD
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 8 Nov 22:06

Just noticed we are 1 of only 4 teams in the division with a + GD.
Does that mean we are no too bad?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: + GD
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 8 Nov 23:02

No, it just means we've scored more goals than we've lost. Don't start getting ideas that we're any good for goodness sake.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Fri 8 Nov 23:13

I thought it had been decided that we are a young team full of potential sell on stars. Luckily they have had the last 3 weeks training from a manager, who has taken the worst team to pull on the black and white to replacing Morellos.

Fickle?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 8 Nov 23:20

Goal difference is very often a good indication of where teams are "in real terms" in the league at any time. Right now, we are among the main challengers for a promotion playoff place.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 9 Nov 08:59

Part time newly promoted Arbroath have a -3 GD and are above us on points.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Nov 10:32

That is true VEE, but if you look at the league at the end of the season the goal difference at this stage would suggest that we will be above Arbroath. If I were a Morton fan, I would be very concerned about relegation.

Look at final league tables anywhere and you will find a direct correlation between goal difference and final position.

By this stage of the season, it's proven to be a very reliable indicator of where your club sits in the grand scheme of things.

There's bound to be a smartass who will say "ah, points are all that matter"; my reply to them would be sure, but right now - on current form - we are capable of being 4th in the league.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sat 9 Nov 11:10

Brechin and Huddersfield both got promoted on a negative GD..
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 9 Nov 11:45

"Look at final league tables anywhere and you will find a direct correlation between goal difference and final position."

I'd rather have the points, anytime.

Back in medieval times the top tier defending English champions were relegated despite scoring most league goals that season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sat 9 Nov 12:07

Man City got relegated with a positive goal difference-just discovered that useless fact today.

Rino Gattuso's Pisa were relegated with the best defensive record in the league in 2017.The team that won the division conceded 3 more!

Post Edited (Sat 09 Nov 12:12)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sat 9 Nov 12:15

Manchester City completed an awesome double in 1937-38,"
"Not only did they become the only team ever to be relegated with a positive goal difference, they also became the only team ever to be relegated the year after being champions.
As if that wasn't enough, they went down after falling five places on the last day of the season - and despite being top scorers in the whole division."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Nov 12:38

There are always exceptions to a rule. I am simply stating a tried and tested rule. Like it or lump it, I don't really care.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 9 Nov 12:59

Interesting topic though. Lots of stuff most of us didn"t know.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: