DAFC.net
Home $D " ; ?>
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 What is your favourite football stadium?
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 12:44

Let's get away from the doom and gloom for a moment and discuss something a wee bit more cheerful.

Everybody's got a favourite stadium. Let's assume that East End Park is a given if you are a Pars Fan. So how about elsewhere in Scotland? Which ground do you most enjoy visiting? And why?

And for fun, let's also see which stadium and why you would pick outside Scotland.

Okay, I will start...

SCOTLAND

After so many seasons out of the premier, Pars fans have had their fair share of visits to the nation's smaller stadiums. Of those, I have always had a soft spot for Brechin's Glebe Park. There's the hedge of course, but I just like the general scale and feel of it. But, if we are to include the big teams, then it would be Easter Road. I always got a buzz entering that ground, especially if it was a night game.

REST OF THE WORLD

For me, it has to be the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG). I love its immense size and shape, also its endless flexibility. I've attended World Cup Qualifiers there, I've seen Australia play rugby there, also rugby league, I've seen many Aussie Rules matches at the MCG, and of course, lots of cricket, including the Ashes. The MCG is a wonderful sporting facility that has also hosted the Commonwealth Games and the Olympic Games. I suspect that there are few stadiums in the world that have hosted quite as many sports. To see it full to capacity is quite something.

Okay, what are your picks?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What is your favourite football stadium?
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 12:54

Scotland: I agree that Glebe Park is a proper traditional venue and is has pretty much everything you can ask for - covered and uncovered terracing, a modern stand behind the goals, a nice playing surface (usually), decent food from the kiosk and of course the famous hedge. I also like Tynecastle for atmosphere and Somerset Park for the traditional look although that loses points for the horrid toilets.

Rest of the World: Unfortunately my pick is set to be demolished soon, which would be a crying shame - the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza, commonly known as the Sam Siro. It is a modern footballing cathedral, it has good views even from the upper sections, the massive steel frame of the roof is a global icon in it's own right and for such a big stadium it is enclosed and square meaning its capable of generating a fantastic atmosphere. When the lights are on and there is either fog or smoke from the firecrackers it just looks sensational. Sadly there aren't enough corporate facilities and the place is just too big so a nee San Siro is set to be built. It was close between this andthe Westfallenstadion, Dortmund (another big square stadium which generates a good atmosphere) but San Siro pips it for me.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theweepar  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 13:01

Scotland- Ayr
Elsewhere- Old Trafford
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 13:31

Scotland-any of the Angus clubs, Tynecastle even now.

Overseas- don't like Italian stadia in general- too far from the action. Verona was unwatchable, though I had the good fortune to go with an elderly Italian with an encyclopedic knowledge.

Liked Wacker Innsbruck- with a decent crowd a perfect modern stadium, saw 1860 at the Allianz, and although it was out of town was a fantastic ground.

Betis was a hoot as well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 13:33

You cant have a pop at the toilets at Somerset Park and not have a pop at the toilets in the San Siro 😂

I'd wanted to go to the San Siro since I saw it on TV at Italia 90 and I finally made it last week. I have to admit I was really disappointed although part of that may be down to the completely shambolic organisation by the stewards and the rather over zealous use of batons by the police rather than the stadium itself.

The away end was half empty at the game I went to and there were still supporters only getting in 20 minutes into the game so there's big access issues for away fans. They also shut off access to walk round the ground when they are kettling in the away fans so it stops home fans getting round the ground too.

There were no urinals in the toilet only 4 cubicles, 2 had toilets the other 2 were holes in the ground. It was the same in the ladies apparently. If the ground had been anywhere near full it would have been a nightmare.

From a viewing perspective they've got those annoying plastic shields in front of you and if you're in the very top tier, you're miles away from the action.

There's zero leg space in the stand so anyone over six foot is better off standing. This didn't bother me but if you weren't great on your feet then it's an uncomfortable 90 mins. Every time someone tried to squeeze down the row you basically dry humped each other as they squeezed past it was that tight. Potentially a selling point if you're into grinding up against strangers. It looked like it used to be standing and just fired in seats rather than changing the gradient like we did at East End Park when we went all seater.

I can imagine the atmosphere when it's full would be tremendous as the noise from the home end was pretty noisy even though it was only slightly more than half full as well.

It felt like the sort of iconic football stadium that fans should like and it'll be sad it's no longer about but I won't be distraught I'm never going back.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsloyal98  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 13:46

In Scotland (aside from ourselves of course), Brechin. That soup they do is unbelievable.

As for outside of Scotland, without doubt San Siro - the Milan derby experience is absolutely incredible.

Also, I can say, for those above concerned it will be lost, is not entirely the case.

Whilst it will not remain the home of Inter and Milan, it will remain in some capacity - with it having been suggested in Italian media it could be renovated to house youth team and women’s games.

As iconic as it is, those who have been know all too well it really is a crumbling mess and no longer fit for purpose and I say that as an Inter fan and someone who works covering the club.

We love Dunfermline We do!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 14:02

Scotland for me has to be Tynecastle, also seems to be a good atmosphere.

Outside of Scotland, I've not visited that many so would probably have to be the Camp Nou.

Always wanted to go to the Westfallen and the San Siro.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 14:22

Scotland - Like the choices mentioned above. One I really like no one has mentioned is Celtic Park.
Only been there for two Scotland games, but love it

England - Wembley and St James's Park

Outside UK - Not been to many, Nou Camp was pretty awesome though
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 14:48

The plans I've seen call for a complete renovation and regeneration of the whole area, with the new stadium built where the tram stops are now or possibly the trotting track; the old stadium will be the site of new shops, cafes, an entertainment complex etc. - these are the two plans (by Populus and one other group whose name escapes me) that have been endorsed by AC Milan and Inter.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsloyal98  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 14:53

Yeah they were the plans Kelty but locals and the city council have kicked up a stink about San Siro being knocked down and part of the council declaring a public interest cake with the condition that San Siro needs to remain.

The council are also being a bit awkward and not letting the clubs build as much as they desire which has led to the suggestion the clubs could move themselves to the Sesto San Giovanni area of the city where there’s private land where the clubs can do and say as they please

We love Dunfermline We do!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 15:18

Hard to pick stadiums without linking to games played there. Hampden for a friendly for example would be brutal but for england game atmosphere etc was up there with loudest I've witnessed.

Celtic park for euro nights is incredible.

Luhzniki is certainly up there in terms of views/facilities based on the size of the venue. Feeling right on top of the action despite being mid-way up in the top tier.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 15:33

Arbroath for me, I spent many happy holidays there when I was a child and when I go to the ground they come flooding back to me.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 17:11

I'll do mine on non-Pars games

I went as a neutral to Berwick v Brechin a good few years ago and enjoyed the novelty of getting a fish supper in the ground.

I was lucky enough to go to Wembley for the Bayern v Dortmund Champions League final.Some stadium undoubtedly helped by the atmosphere created by both sets of supporters.The best stadium I have been to.

On the other side I went to Old Trafford and there was no atmosphere at all probably not helped that I went to a 0-0 draw against Blackburn Rovers which was the first 0-0 there for over 60 games or something like that-typical! The stadium itself was good just very quiet inside-even before the game.

I went to St James a few times in the late 90's and it generated some atmosphere in and around the ground-never seen more replica tops worn than there. It would be up there with Anfield and Parkhead in terms of noise generated.

Has anyone been to Spurs new stadium yet? I haven't but the facilities looked first class on the promo videos.

I've not been to any games abroad but always fancied taking in a German game as there seems to be a great atmosphere there.

Post Edited (Tue 12 Nov 17:18)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SusieQ  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 17:51

Scotland - don't really have a favourite apart from our own East End so I'll stick with that, even tho there are away trips I enjoy more than others.

Englandshire - new Wembley is superb, as is the Emirates. Hopefully the new stadium Everton are building will be as good as those to become my obvious new favourite, as a Toffees fan!

Elsewhere - the Nou Camp is something special, just for being iconic, as well as being home to my fav foreign team & footballing guilty pleasure! Other European favourites from my Scotland travels would be the Westfalen in Dortmund and the national stadium in Warsaw (can't remember if it has an actual name). By coincidence, I have visited all of these grounds twice each!!

Proud sponsor of Callum Smith's home shirt

COME ON YE PARS!

Post Edited (Tue 12 Nov 17:52)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 18:08

Scotland - Kingsmills - many years ago I was in Inverness for the weekend and went to see Inverness Thistle v Dumbarton on a freezing cold afternoon in the Scottish Cup - they opened the gates and let us go in to the local hotel for a pint at half time - we made the unfortunate decision of returning for the second half - a tedious 0-0 draw between 2 teams I had no interest in - vert welcoming club though (and this was years before Leish’s stint there)
For atmosphere - before the all seated days I was once in the Hibs end for a 3-2 derby game at Tynecastle (closely matched by a 3-3 draw between Hearts and the Pars at Tynie).
Or how about Sounness’ first game at Easter Road when he raked his studs down George McCluskey’s leg and 21 players then started fighting - I was in the North Enclosure with the Hibees and the atmosphere was incredible.

Elsewhere - St Andrews - home of the mighty Blues.

Andy J

Post Edited (Tue 12 Nov 18:15)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 18:51

Brechin for me lovely wee stadium and hospitality second to none

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 20:09

Scotland ....EEP .....genuine

England .... Brunton Park ..... my pal got caught there after breaking in ....silly bugger switched the floodlights on at 3am

World .....Camp Nou......Hairs still standing on my neck watching the film show at the end of the tour

Post Edited (Tue 12 Nov 20:13)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 21:11

Can I include stadiums which include Rugby football and American Football? Well,bugger it, I'm doing it anyway...

EEP - After an absence of almost 30 years, I walked into a very different EEP in 2015 and was greeted by the song "Back in Black" by AC/DC... rivers of tears were shed, and that's before I even had to watch the football on display...

Murrayfield - 1977 v a touring New Zealand team. We lost 11-0 (I think), but the amazing part for me was traipsing up the stairs, hand in hand with my uncle, and reaching the top... I have never felt so fervently SCOTTISH in my life... the flags, the noise, the vibe... a remarkable experience which will never leave me..

Rose Bowl in Pasadena - My only experience of live American sport... a college football game with my local team UCLA V Oregon State... 80,000 college students, many of whom were remarkably attractive young ladies (I didn't notice this, probably), created a fabulous atmosphere in a truly incredible location..
There's no bevvy allowed there but, thinking quickly, I swiftly donned a charming pair of snakeskin cowboy boots and filled the the voluminous gaps twixt leather and calf with 3 quarter bottles of Jack Daniel's, all the better to fill my large Pepsi with... you never lose these skills, Pars fans...
Anyhoo, it was a cracking stadium, and highly recommended...

I go past Nou Camp regularly on the way to work but still haven't been there yet.. maybe this year I hope..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 21:32

EEP obviously as that's where the heart is but otherwise Tynecastle for the atmosphere and likewise the Luigi Ferrari stadium in Genoa. The win against Sweden in the 1990 world cup was awesome.
In England it has to be Anfield although I've had good experiences at Molineux and Villa Park as well. That Holte End generates some noise.
Being in the Stade de France for Scotland v Brazil game in 98 felt like being at the centre of the world's sporting attention.
Ice Hockey at Madison Square Garden was cool.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 22:07

Easter Road or The Old Hampden in the mid-late 1960s. Also a soft spot for Cathkin (where the sadly defunct Third Lanark used to play). Atmosphere at Tynecastle when Hearts came back to beat Lokomtiv Leipzig was fantastic.

In South Africa - Harry Gwala stadium where Maritzburg United play.

Post Edited (Wed 13 Nov 00:24)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Helmsdale Par  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 22:14

Scotland.

Recreation Park, great view of the Ochil Hills and a good pub in Alva in the Johnson Arms.

Rest of the world.

Amersvorde in Amersfoort Netherlands, very friendly.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlfonzoBonzo  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 23:38

Hearts.
Been to many and most of the biggies around Europe. The German stadiums have all had cracking atmosphere. Hamburg, Munich and Dortmund stand out

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 07:01

My favourite stadium was the old EEP, before the two stands were built behind each goal. The most impressive stadia I have been in, in no particular order are Camp Nou, Celtic Park and the Etihad.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 07:34

Standing on the Süd Tribune in The Westfalen is nirvana. Going to the Nou Camp for the BVB game at the end of the month. Can't wait to experience it, but can't see it being better than Dortmund.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 09:57

Tynecastle is always a good trip - decent ground and cracking atmosphere.

Stadia outside of Scotland, is tougher. Based on football it has to be the Nou Camp but if I could pick a stadium not football related then winner for me is Metlife Stadium in New York - unbelievable stadium and atmosphere was out of this world!

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 10:02

A few mentions for Glebe Park-I noticed Brechin got hammered last night and sit bottom of league 2.It's the 100th year since Glebe Park opened, wouldn't it be sad if they fell further down the leagues never to be seen again.I always keep an eye on their scores as that's where my Grandad was born. I hope they avoid it but has any team ever been relegated in 3 successive seasons?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 11:18

Quote:

Connor560, Wed 13 Nov 09:57

Tynecastle is always a good trip - decent ground and cracking atmosphere.

Stadia outside of Scotland, is tougher. Based on football it has to be the Nou Camp but if I could pick a stadium not football related then winner for me is Metlife Stadium in New York - unbelievable stadium and atmosphere was out of this world!

I was impressed with the Met Life as well. The US has some pretty impressive sporting arenas in general.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 13:35

I liked Brockville as it was before it started to fall apart.

Yes, it was very basic, and the natives were highly disagreeable - but a decent crowd, especially for a cup tie made it worthwhile.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 14:00

I genuinely like EEP. Nice blend of modern and traditional, nice size, looks nice. Outwith that..

In Scotland - Forfar. Always enjoyed going there. Like standing on the big open terrace behind the goal. Good view of the game and I like a Bridie.

UK - Newcastle. Just for the location, right in the heart of the city. The famous " atmosphere" is overrated and it's often pretty quiet, but love how this imposing stadium just sits amidst all the shops and is a 10 minute walk from the train station.

Worldwide - Camp Nou. The place reeks of footballing history.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 16:37

Many have changed through my lifetime, so old school.

Scotland...The Ranger's end at Hampden Park, still see Frank Worthington's face walking out for Scotland v England, the famous Hampden roar.

England...The North Bank at Highbury during the skinhead days, pure savagery. Also the Kop, Wales v Scotland, World Cup qualifier, absolutely electric.

Abroad...Barcelona on a European night, wasn't impressed with Bernabeau.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 18:45

Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Brechin for me too - great view, the hedge, friendly folk, fab home made food and the sense of humour of their tannoy announcer (when we were beating them 7-1 end of season and their goal was announced “the comeback is on!”)

World 🌎
I’ve never been lucky enough to attend a game overseas but I have been on the Nou Camp tour and it was magical.

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 21:27

Both of my favourites have now closed!

Scotland - Brockville, as a youth loved being put in a cage, made you think the had to keep you away from the home fans. Can remember being at a Aberdeen cup game midweek and the bottles crashing down on the top. Aberdeen won it with a overhead kick from 20 yards out (Shearer I think)

Abroad - Vicente Calderón Stadium, visited a few times, very vocal passionate fans. Best game was a 93 minute free kick winner from distance, stadium went mental
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 Nov 18:37

I forgot to say that I think Twickenham is a brilliant stadium too.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunPar  
Date:   Sat 23 Nov 11:29

Scotland - Parkhead
I haven't been to many since they became all-seated.........

Outside Scotland -
It's a toss-up between the Bernabeu or Tokyo Stadium.......the only two I've been to !! It has to be the Bernabeu ......Tokyo was a bad result....England beat Argentina at rugby. ......
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net