DAFC.net
Home 10 December 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Ronaldo Spits Out the Dummy
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 14:13

CR7 seems to be engineering his exit from Juventus.

He didn't take too kindly to being subbed for the second consecutive game at the week-end, even though he'd hardly kicked a ball v Milan, during the 55 mins he was on the field. In contrast, his replacement, Paolo Dybala, scored the games only goal.

No player should be happy to be subbed unless he's injured, but Ronaldo took his annoyance to another level. Rather than sit on the bench, he walked right out of the stadium. Not only was that disrespectful to the fans, his team mates and manager, it was a very risky thing to do. Had he been one of the two players in each team normally chosen for a random drugs test after the game, he could have earned himself a 2 year ban. Luckily for him, he wasn't.

What a shame that such a fantastic footballer can't conduct himself with more humility and dignity. I think that's a major reason why many football fans around the world prefer Messi over him.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Ronaldo Spits Out the Dummy
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 14:53

I was watching the game and it showed him storming off but I hadn't realised he had left the ground!

As you say he had been absolutely dire and deserved to be hooked. Dybala's goal was a quality finish and a reminder that he's a good player too.

Messi can be a bit @rsey at times too but CR's strops definitely make me prefer Messi over him.

Apparently the Juve players were not impressed and he faces questions as to why he left the ground.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 14:56

I dont think humility and dignity are two words I'd necessarily associate with Mr Ronaldo.
I'm not doubting his ability or skill on a football pitch for one minute... But personally I've always thought of him as a very arrogant person.
Maybe it's just his way... But I don't like arrogance.
Read a piece about him possibly returning to Man Utd this morning.... I thought he'd go to another team to win more titles but obviously not 🤣

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 18:47

He's an erse

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 19:11

He's almost 35 now and is 18th on the all time list of appearances for an outfield player with 1016 matches.Father time was inevitably going to catch up with him sooner or later.Surely there are few, if any, teams at the top level who would be prepared to make a move for him given the financial outlay? Maybe a last hurrah in Qatar, China or America?

He's an erse but his numbers speak for themselves. His arrogance has perhaps helped him to get where he is but he has no doubt lost some admirers as a consequence.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 20:03

No doubting his ability and his record ..... but his paranoia to be regarded the best player in the world is an accolade that should be bestowed by his rivals and peers.... not by himself ..... speaks volumes about his attitude
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EEP  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 20:09

Have you seen his mrs? Ooooft.
He’s 35 now and won’t be as fast etc as he was.
If I was him I would chill out with the family now tbh.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 20:31

He's a bit like the Van Morrison of football, isn't he?

Extremely good at his job but, at the end of the day, he's somewhat of an unlikeable knob...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Tue 12 Nov 20:35

“ Have you seen his mrs? Ooooft.”

Is he still with that kick-boxer bloke?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 21:13

Another hat-trick for Portugal tonight taking him to 98 goals for them!

Post Edited (Fri 15 Nov 00:39)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 07:44

Quote:

parathletic, Thu 14 Nov 21:13

Another hat-trick for Portugal tonight taking him to 98 goals for them!

Nobody doubts Ronaldo's fantastic footballing ability. A hat trick in an international is excellent, even if it was against modest opponents.

I believe a "clear the air" meeting has been requested by his Juve team mates. He would do well to offer a sincere apology to them, his manager the club who pay his salary and the fans, who contribute towards it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 08:13

He's smiling again :-)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 09:14

I think he is obsessed about improving himself as a footballer to a worrying point, you wonder how he would cope once he stops

Certainly not loveable, but the arrogance makes him really, he came from abject poverty (like almost all elite sportsmen/women) so he won't want to go back there- all he sees is adulation, and that stops at some point....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 15:10

Neils, I'd say at least equal amounts of elite sports people come from affluent middle class backgrounds than come from abject poverty.

Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 16:08

Quote:

neils, Fri 15 Nov 09:14

I think he is obsessed about improving himself as a footballer to a worrying point, you wonder how he would cope once he stops

Certainly not loveable, but the arrogance makes him really, he came from abject poverty (like almost all elite sportsmen/women) so he won't want to go back there- all he sees is adulation, and that stops at some point....

He may well be obsessed, he may be arrogant or both. Only he can know for certain, the rest of us can only speculate. Speaking as someone who was born into abject poverty and living in it for the first 7 years of my life, I don't think it can ever be a justification for acting like a complete tw@t at times.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 18:09

No, it can't be a justification, but none of us know how we would act-maybe you woud be a tw@t , maybe you would be fine, maybe you would be like George Best a chronic alcoholic.

We just don't know, either way I think you do need to be arrogant or at least over confident to play up front..

Yes, well shouldn't really make a comparison with abject poverty to be honest, bad shout- although I do think you need something, whether it's some trauma or whatever- I just look at the elite, and there's a remarkable % where this applies.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 19:34

Why would anyone call Ronaldo arrogant?
Have you seen what the guy does outside football with his money?
He’s always ready to meet/greet fans. I think Sarri has a problem like he had at Chelsea with Hazard. If Ronaldo walks of the pitch saying “what the fek” then his manager says he was injured then scores a hatrick for his National team then it’s obvious his team manager has got it wrong!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 20:05

Quote :-

GG Riva

He may well be obsessed, he may be arrogant or both. Only he can know for certain, the rest of us can only speculate. Speaking as someone who was born into abject poverty and living in it for the first 7 years of my life, I don't think it can ever be a justification for acting like a complete tw@t at times.

GG many of us war baby's were born into poverty I'm guessing that you are younger than me and your poverty experience was perhaps in another Country ?

I watched my Braw Mam go hungry to feed my Dad and Me and watched my Dad search for work to make ends meet but we always got by

Now abject poverty is as you well know because yer no a daft man... the most severe form of deprivation to basic needs and services that an individual or household can suffer. It is a form of poverty where there is a severe lack of food access, safe drinking water, basic sanitation, healthcare access, and even shelter.

If you did indeed suffer any of these I profoundly apologise in advance
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 20:13

That's a good point, also he doesn't have any tattoos because he has a rare blood group, and he gives blood.

So many top footballers have charitable arms with serious money, its easy to forget the level of expectation and adulation they get, when behind that they are just 'normal' people.

I think the level of self belief/arrogance must be high as they are competing against the world, whereas someone like Chris Hoy (great sportsman) competed against only a few countries, and maybe 200 competitors max.

Don't get me started on Scottish rugby...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 20:25

Quote :-

neils

I think the level of self belief/arrogance must be high as they are competing against the world, whereas someone like Chris Hoy (great sportsman) competed against only a few countries, and maybe 200 competitors max.

Hoy is eleven-times a world champion and six-times an Olympic champion
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 20:36

Yes I know, which makes him outstanding and elite within his fueld, and a true champion.

My point is though, if in every class in the world there were 10 kids cycling at a decent level, then every town in every country had 300 or so decent cyclists, then every country then competed....would he still be? Or would he be nowhere?

In football, for me, to go from, say, Burkino Faso to the premiership-that's quite a journey.

In rowing, cycling etc. I think the competition is real, I just don't think it's comparable though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 20:53

More people cycle than play football. The Tour is the world’s biggest spectator event. 😉
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 21:07

Chris Hoye did the tour?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 21:25

Buspass, I don't want to go into specific detail, but yes, I was born into a peasant family in Southern Italy. Our lives changed completely when we emigrated to Scotland in 1960. My mum and dad worked on a farm for a combined total of £11 A week. They were given a 2 bedroom cottage, with electricity, running water and a bathroom.

It was like we'd moved into the Hilton.

Back on topic. Ronaldo has lots of good points, but no one should be making excuses for him, or try to shift the blame on to his manager. He was having a poor game on Sunday, so he was hooked after 55 mins. He stormed out of the stadium. That is just plainly wrong and seriously unprofessional. Dybala came on and scored the only goal off the game, so Sarri was vindicated. Ronaldo's team mates were furious. Had it been any other Juve player, he'd probably be looking for another club now.

How anyone can defend Ronaldo's behaviour or deflect criticism regarding this incident, is baffling.No player should act as if he's bigger than his club, not even CR7.

Neil's, it's true none of us know how we would act in Ronaldo's shoes, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to comment on or criticise an aspect of his behaviour, especially since he is looked up to as role model by millions of young people all over the world.

For the record, I've often thought that, had I been a world class footballer, I'd probably would have been like George Best, a bit full of myself and overindulging in wine, women and song... maybe not so much on the singing. 😉

Post Edited (Fri 15 Nov 21:28)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 21:44

I believe it’s now become apparent that Ronaldo did not storm out of the stadium as claimed but stayed until after the game finished - yes he is arrogant and his behaviour left a lot to be desired but don’t believe everything you read.

He was never as naturally gifted as Messi but through sheer hard work and determination made himself into one of the best players the world has ever seen - he deserves great credit for this.

Like a number of other posters I fear for how he will cope when his playing career comes to an end.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 21:45

Then Respect GG
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 21:55

No Chris didn’t do the tour, he wouldn’t even be able to finish the first medium mountain stage.
The man is a exceptional athlete, my point was that cycling isn’t some obscure sport, but the most participating in the world, with the most viewed event in the world. I go every year to watch the tour and it’s a fantastic feeling as whole regions shut down for the day to watch them pass in 30’s. Its like every village has got to the cup final.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 22:04

I'm pretty sure when his career comes to an end all his money will soften the blow a wee bit.
Poor wee soul 🤣

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 22:07

Is cycling really the world's most participated sport?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 22:20

Maybe if you say everyone that drives a car is participating in motor racing 😀
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 22:37

Isn't walking an Olympic sport well? I think we have a winner....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 22:58

If sleeping was a sport I'd be champion of the universe...
I do like a good kip 😴

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 23:58

Undoubtedly one of the best players ever but he has only ever been about himself. I remember the Euros final when he came off injured and he ended up managing the game from the sidelines completely undermining the Portugal manager. The whole thing at Juventus last week is no surprise and just sums him up as a self obsessed erse.
I dunno who said it earlier in the thread but at 35 his decline is going to kick in big time now in my opinion and there is going to be a few more of these petulant outbursts in my opinion. I can see a sharp exit to the far East or the States to see his career out.
As I said a phenomenal player an argument to say he is the best ever but a highly unlikeable individual.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Nov 16:37

Quote:

AJ27, Fri 15 Nov 21:44

I believe it’s now become apparent that Ronaldo did not storm out of the stadium as claimed but stayed until after the game finished - yes he is arrogant and his behaviour left a lot to be desired but don’t believe everything you read
Quote:

The Independent is reporting that Ronaldo has admitted that he did drive home straight after the gam and that Sarri was correct to substitute him as he has been playing with an injury for the last 3 weeks. He also added that everybody knows he doesn't like being subbed and denied there was any rift between him and his manager.

Sounds like a prelude to an apology to his club, its fans, Sarri and the Juve squad.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Mon 18 Nov 17:47

Quote:

Frank Butchers LoveHandles, Fri 15 Nov 23:58

Undoubtedly one of the best players ever but he has only ever been about himself. I remember the Euros final when he came off injured and he ended up managing the game from the sidelines completely undermining the Portugal manager. The whole thing at Juventus last week is no surprise and just sums him up as a self obsessed erse.
I dunno who said it earlier in the thread but at 35 his decline is going to kick in big time now in my opinion and there is going to be a few more of these petulant outbursts in my opinion. I can see a sharp exit to the far East or the States to see his career out.
As I said a phenomenal player an argument to say he is the best ever but a highly unlikeable individual.

I'd totally disagree with undermining the manager. The manager had just, and only just got them to the final. Sure Silva and a few of the other Portugese guys all said it was Ronaldo going bananas on the touchline which gave them the edge. If the manager seen Ronaldo trying to build up the team and then proceeded to sit back and let that happen, then that's a fault on his character, not Ronaldos
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 18 Nov 21:21

Football is the largest participation sport in the world. Cycling wouldn't even make the top ten.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Nov 21:28

From what I saw when he came off injured in the Euro Final was a passionate captain helping his team? He’s a winner and wants to win everything. He puts in extra effort after training to be the best and is the best.
Once he quits and maybe becomes a manager he will be the top by far. He will take over Pepe and Kloppe in terms off management and training methods.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Nov 21:37

^^^^
🤣
Aye cos aw the best players always go on to be the best managers.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 3 Dec 08:31

Came third in the Ballon d'Or I see... He's definitely on the slide now.
Beaten into third by a defender... Oof.
That's gotta hurt 😏

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: