DAFC.net
Home 27 January 2021 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Steven Pressley
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 13:45

He has been sacked as manager of Carlisle United after 10 months in charge.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Steven Pressley
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 13:46

P*ss poor manager
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 16:26

I would love to see him have some sort of role in the SFA. His vision of Scottish football - larger leagues and promoting youth is exactly what most fans would be looking for. Unfortunately, that will never happen!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cumbrian par  
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 17:55

As a Carlisle United fan, I have a certain amount of sympathy for him. He was hamstrung by the club’s policy of only offering 1 year contracts, so he was never able to sign anyone of proven ability. His signings were nearly always a gamble and he relied a lot on loan players, most of whom turned out to be gash.

But he kept changing his system and his starting 11 and rarely managed to successfully alter his tactics during a game. He ended up with a win percentage of just 31.8 in a really poor league so he had to go.

One of early favourites to replace him is Owen Coyle.

Post Edited (Thu 14 Nov 13:22)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 18:32

"His vision of Scottish football - larger leagues and promoting youth is exactly what most fans would be looking for."

When you say larger leagues - presumably you mean the same number of clubs as is, but in fewer divisions ?

Rather than more clubs joining the existing set up ?

Promoting youth has practical obstacles to overcome, specifically finance - the cost of Falkirk's youth academy (that he embraced) was beyond their means.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc111  
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 18:36

Could a return to Hearts be on the cards?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Nov 19:05

Was that really the case VEE, as they made a fortune off their youth academy through transfers? I was under the impression their board decided to scrap it to invest more money in wages, which was a massive mistake.

Yes I mean two larger leagues then regionalised leagues below that. As I said, it will never happen though!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ronaldo  
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 08:59

Carlisle are my English team too, cumbrian par ... I try to make it to Brunton Park once a year. Can't say I'm surprised to see him go but, for all that, I thought Carlisle looked really decent in what I saw of Friday's televised FA Cup match, albeit against non-League opposition
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 10:53

Quote:

dafc111, Wed 13 Nov 18:36

Could a return to Hearts be on the cards?

Are you serious?

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 11:57

"Was that really the case VEE, as they made a fortune off their youth academy through transfers? I was under the impression their board decided to scrap it to invest more money in wages, which was a massive mistake."

As Gordon Waddell explains, not a sustainable venture.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/falkirk-axe-renowned-youth-academy-11724613
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 12:03

Their new strategy 'to take the team into the top flight' is going well for them :)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 12:42

pihs manager who has failed everywhere hes been and not liked by most fans either... aye he'll fit in well with the SFA alright lol.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 15:04

You gotta like his shoes, though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 20:25

Just because he wasn’t a great manager doesn’t mean he won’t do well in another position. Some of the Falkirk players stated he was one of the best managers they had played for. I loved giving him stick when he was their manager but always liked him and thought he talked a lot of sense about our game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 00:04

Quote:

GG4, Thu 14 Nov 12:42

pihs manager who has failed everywhere hes been

I'm not defending him, but most managers fail everywhere they go, the rest just fail most of the places they go.

Most managerial appointments end in failure, it doesn't necessarily mean they weren't successful before they failed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net