DAFC.net
Home $D " ; ?>
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Dave Mackay (Pars fan) RIP
Topic Originator: Craig Par  
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 21:52

I’m very sad to let you know that a fellow Pars fan and friend Dave Mackay passed away last week after a brief illness. Originally from Inverness Dave started following the Pars in the mid 80s and we travelled home and away by train and car for many years. In recent years Dave’s football interest led him to attend Junior and non league matches but he always retained a great affection for the Pars.

His funeral will be held on Friday 22 November at 2pm at Warriston crematorium in Edinburgh.

RIP Dave, one of the nicest and most positive people I’ve met.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dave Mackay (Pars fan) RIP
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 22:01

One of the nicest guys you could hope to meet - he’ll be sorely missed.

Bumped into him in Edinburgh recently and he was laughing about what a jinx he was as we’ve lost every game he’s been to in the last 2 or 3 years.

Not long retired and should have had years in front of him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 22:13

Craig Par is this Dave who would have travelled on the Lothian 68 bus in the mid -late 80s and was a Careers Guidance Teacher and musician?

If so I bumped into him at EEP last season - must have been 15 years since I had last seen him.

That is so sad.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 22:15

Wetherby - Yes, I’m sad to say it was Dave who travelled on the Lothian 68 bus.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 22:21

I will let big Alan know tomorrow. Keith and Ian who also travelled from Edinburgh sit just along from us in the NW -will let them know.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 22:27

Thanks Wetherby.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 23:49

So sorry to hear of a fellow pars fans passing. Regards to his family and friends.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 14:28

This is terrible news.

I remember Dave very well from the halcyon days of the early 80s, when we were, not to put too fine a point on it, dreadful, signing dud after dud (and that included managers), culminating in the questionable appointment of a ridiculously young and inexperienced manager who signed a ginger-haired forward from Hong Kong who couldn’t score. I think John Watson became a friend. Dave’s wry observations from the terracing would tide us over many a set-back on the road to recovery.

I think he was from the Black Isle – Fortrose springs to mind, and apparently as a school boy, despite his build, played as a goal-keeper, until getting injured in a clash with Roddie MacDonald from Brora (Roddie later played for Celtic and Hearts). He had been at school at the same time as Ross Jack, and was delighted when we signed him, as he could call him by his long-forgotten nickname. I think Ross became a friend as well.

Caledonian FC was his first love and after initially being encouraged by the merger of the Inverness teams, he formed the view that the club he had supported was no more – I’m not sure he ever saw ICT play, preferring to keep the Caley FC flag flying, particularly on Pie and Bovril

As happens, our paths diverged – possibly the Leishman sacking left a sour taste – and he started following junior football, which proved a logistical challenge, as I think he relied on public transport. I hadn’t seen him for years – I bumped into him in the street about 7 or 8 years ago, had a quick chat, giving me his phone number and offering to help with an employment issue I was having at the time, a typically generous gesture. It’s good to know he still went to the odd Pars game - I thought I spotted him leaving the ground after the Edinburgh City game early this season, but again we went in different directions. “I’ll see him next time” I thought.

I should leave on a positive – I remember back in February 1984 both of us heading off on an adventure from Waverley Station – me on my one and only visit to Firs Park – he to old Annfield to see Caley in their cup replay against the Albion. The Pars won 2-0 and to give you a flavour of the times the controversial “Relax” by Frankie Goes to Hollywood was played at half-time. (I can just imagine what Dave would have said about the BBC’s decision to ban that song.) So I was quite happy when I caught the Dunblane train back later that evening, expecting to see Dave but he wasn’t there. As it happened, his game had gone to extra-time with Caley securing a famous victory – he would have been ecstatic. Happy memories – farewell Dave. Rest in Peace.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 14:35

Quote:

McCaig`s Tower, Fri 15 Nov 14:28

This is terrible news.

I remember Dave very well from the halcyon days of the early 80s, when we were, not to put too fine a point on it, dreadful, signing dud after dud (and that included managers), culminating in the questionable appointment of a ridiculously young and inexperienced manager who signed a ginger-haired forward from Hong Kong who couldn’t score. I think John Watson became a friend. Dave’s wry observations from the terracing would tide us over many a set-back on the road to recovery.

I think he was from the Black Isle – Fortrose springs to mind, and apparently as a school boy, despite his build, played as a goal-keeper, until getting injured in a clash with Roddie MacDonald from Brora (Roddie later played for Celtic and Hearts). He had been at school at the same time as Ross Jack, and was delighted when we signed him, as he could call him by his long-forgotten nickname. I think Ross became a friend as well.

Caledonian FC was his first love and after initially being encouraged by the merger of the Inverness teams, he formed the view that the club he had supported was no more – I’m not sure he ever saw ICT play, preferring to keep the Caley FC flag flying, particularly on Pie and Bovril

As happens, our paths diverged – possibly the Leishman sacking left a sour taste – and he started following junior football, which proved a logistical challenge, as I think he relied on public transport. I hadn’t seen him for years – I bumped into him in the street about 7 or 8 years ago, had a quick chat, giving me his phone number and offering to help with an employment issue I was having at the time, a typically generous gesture. It’s good to know he still went to the odd Pars game - I thought I spotted him leaving the ground after the Edinburgh City game early this season, but again we went in different directions. “I’ll see him next time” I thought.

I should leave on a positive – I remember back in February 1984 both of us heading off on an adventure from Waverley Station – me on my one and only visit to Firs Park – he to old Annfield to see Caley in their cup replay against the Albion. The Pars won 2-0 and to give you a flavour of the times the controversial “Relax” by Frankie Goes to Hollywood was played at half-time. (I can just imagine what Dave would have said about the BBC’s decision to ban that song.) So I was quite happy when I caught the Dunblane train back later that evening, expecting to see Dave but he wasn’t there. As it happened, his game had gone to extra-time with Caley securing a famous victory – he would have been ecstatic. Happy memories – farewell Dave. Rest in Peace.

This post is a breath of fresh air on this site.
Exceptionally sad circumstances but a wonderful tribute. Not sure I ever met Dave but after reading this I wish I had and I wish there were more people like Dave in the world.

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 15:49

Sad to hear of a fellow Pars fan’s passing.

That’s a wonderful tribute post Ali.

CraigPar - If you wish, as others have done in the past, consider printing off this thread for Dave’s family and friends to keep. X

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 16:11

There's an obituary notice in today's Scotsman for David Mackay, aged 63, from Edinburgh/Black Isle. I presume that's him. There's a service at Warriston Crematorium, Lorimer Chapel, on Friday 22 November at 2 pm. (Sorry, I see this information was included in the opening post).

Post Edited (Fri 15 Nov 16:16)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 16:13

It's always sad when someone dies at a relatively young age and even more so when you read some of the fine tributes on this thread. I didn't know Dave, but I feel like I've lost a member of my extended family - which, as Pars fans, we all are.

RIP, Dave.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alan  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 18:58

That's a lovely tribute Mccaigs Tower.

Dave was a great guy, very likeable and friendly, and it's particularly sad that he had apparently only been retired for around 6 months. Hadn't seen him for around 20 years or so but have fond memories of his company with the other Edinburgh Pars supporters in the Cafe Royal after games over a few beers.

Dave also gave me a lot of his time when I was unemployed and struggling, and was a great help in getting me back in to employment, for which I will be eternally grateful.

Really sad day.

RIP Dave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 19:02

I didn’t have the pleasure of knowing Dave either, but it’s always sad to hear of the passing of a fellow Pars fan- and by the sounds of all of the above, a right good lad to boot. Some very nice tributes here that I hope come to the attention of Dave’s loved ones. RIP Dave.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 19:12

Did not know Dave ..... Wish I had god bless him .....thoughts and sympathy to you Craig Par and all his Family and friends .... some lovely posts on here RIP Dave

Post Edited (Fri 15 Nov 19:13)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 20:07

Quote:

Craig Par, Thu 14 Nov 21:52

I’m very sad to let you know that a fellow Pars fan and friend Dave Mackay passed away last week after a brief illness. Originally from Inverness Dave started following the Pars in the mid 80s and we travelled home and away by train and car for many years. In recent years Dave’s football interest led him to attend Junior and non league matches but he always retained a great affection for the Pars.

His funeral will be held on Friday 22 November at 2pm at Warriston crematorium in Edinburgh.

RIP Dave, one of the nicest and most positive people I’ve met.

Long time no speak Craig Par. Sorry to hear about your friend.

S
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 21:13

Nice wee piece there, McCaig's Tower.

Few years too young to experience it properly myself - and i know nostalgia often smoothes the rough edges over time - but there seemed to be a real camararderie, special feeling and a bond between people following the Pars at that time in the Leishman era. As illustrated by your memories above it always shines through in posts like this.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."

Post Edited (Fri 15 Nov 21:14)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 23:55

great post McCaigs Tower. I also suspect i first met Dave on a train travelling to some far flung fixture in the old league 2 in early 80s. As we both lived in the east side of Edinburgh and worked around Torphichen (?) Street we bumped into one another regularly. He was resolutely cheerful , meeting defeat with some dryly humorous riposte. We had a few great nights out in Edinburgh particularly at the Lothian 68 Player of The Year Dinners . coincidentally i was looking at some old photos only a few weeks ago of players such as Ian Mccall, Tierny, Pail Smith , Stuart Beedie and of course John Watson and Norrie mixing with the Edinburgh based Pars.
Alan ( posted above) reminded me of a story Dave told of getting John Watson to fit hid new bathroom in his flat in Edinburgh!

I lost touch with Dave when i moved south in the early 90s and next bumped into him in Easter Rd when we had a semi final against Livingston in 2006.. there then followed another gap until just last season when i heard Dave’ s soft highland accent just ahead of me on Halbeath Rd heading for a visit to the Pars. I hurried up to catch him up and we had a good chat.He did mention that he would have to be getting rid of all the guitars cluttering his flat !

RIP Dave and thanks for the memories.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 Nov 13:16

Its nice to read people's memories of Dave.

We initially met in familiar circumstances - on public transport! Dunfermline had just beaten Hearts in a midweek game and I got on the train back to Edinburgh which was packed with unhappy Jambos. Midway through the journey the bloke sitting next to me said in a low voice "Do you support Dunfermline" "Yes, I said quietly , "Me too" he replied. We managed to safely escape the train and a friendship spanning 34 years began.

These were great days to be an Edinburgh based Pars fan. After each match home or away we would go to the Cafe Royal and in would come Watson, McCathie, Bowie, Moyes and Young for a couple of post match beers and a chat. Dave and I became firm mates and travelled to watch the Pars throughout the Leishman years. He became friends with my other mates and came to my wedding.

As Dave's interest turned toward the Junior game we saw less of each other but about 18 months ago we met in the street, reconnected and had half a dozen "pensioner lunches' where he picked the restaurant and we went for a few beers afterwards. Each time I'd return home having enjoyed our chats on football, sport, music and politics.Id say to my wife that I couldn't believe we had lost touch and it was great to reconnect.

Dave was generous with his time, gregarious, witty and positive. He remained a true Pars fan, kept up with events at EEP and would turn up at random matches like Civil Service Strollers v Dunfermline U20s!!

Its great that so many people on here remember him and I think that's testimony to a warm, generous person.

I will forward this message to his relatives in due course as I'm sure it will give them some comfort at a difficult time.

RIP Dave.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ronaldo  
Date:   Sun 17 Nov 15:29

Might I share a memory and pass on condolences to Dave's family?

Our paths crossed in the early 80s, firstly on that infamous day when John Pelosi broke Jim Brown's leg at EEP. I quickly got a sense Dave was a passionate fan.

During one away game, Steve Morrison was struggling to make an impact, and Dave shouted at him frustratedly: 'what's the matter, Stevie, are you scared in case you rip your tights? ... before adding, in exasperation, ... your 15 deniers!'

I'd never heard that level of detail, or that degree of sophistication, meted out in a terracing tirade before (not about women's clothing anyway). And I still haven't.

Football, as we know, isn't just about good players, it's about great fans and Dave was one of them, the embodiment of purer, simpler times. We'll miss you, Dave.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Nov 21:01

A number of us retired to the Cafe Royal after the service. The years melted away as we shared stories about Dave and raked up some long forgotten memories. It was so good to see so many Pars fans at the service , Dave would have been touched, humbled and astonished.
RIP Dave.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alan  
Date:   Fri 22 Nov 21:36

Great to see so many Pars fans paying their respects at Dave's funeral today at Warriston Creamatorium. Lovely service with the Main chapel packed out and many more standing outside. Lovely to catch up with old friends afterwards at the Café Royal, which Dave frequented regularly after games, with great memories of the Pars in the 1980's.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Dec 19:19

Thanks everyone for your contributions to this thread. I've printed it off and will contact Dave's family and forward it to them.

I was unable to make the funeral but I'm so glad that this thread allowed so many fellow Pars fans to pay tribute to Dave and attend the funeral.

Dave and I were meant to be meeting for lunch today so I went to the Cafe Royal, had a beer and toasted him.

Cheers Dave,

Alastair Keith
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net