DAFC.net
Home $D " ; ?>
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Queen's Park going professional
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Thu 14 Nov 23:55

I was sorry to read this, it just chips away a little bit more from the romance of Scottish football. Understandable, I guess.

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1442405-queen-s-park-vote-to-end-152-year-old-amateur-status/

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters' Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Queen's Park going professional
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 00:47

I agree with Stanza. I can't describe why, but there was something quite elevating about having an amateur team in the Scottish League. Queen's Park is a direct connection with the roots of our game in Scotland.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 07:25

Had the fortune to play under Eddie Hunter as a youngster and found that his enthusiasm was the spirit of the true amateur ethos. Never understood anything he ever screamed at me, but was a great success. I believe Ian McCall has taken some of his managerial abruptness from Eddie!
It is a sad day for me as I lived that amateur spirit also and was great to see the great managers and teams around Hampden before the big internationals.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 08:07

It is a bit sad, but perhaps inevitable. Am I right in thinking that, because of QP's amateur status, other clubs could cherry pick their best players without paying them any compensation or transfer fee?

Perhaps it's more surprising that the club managed to preserve its amateur status for as long as it did. Is there another professional league anywhere, with amateur clubs in its ranks?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 08:31

I’m gutted about this - I was a season ticket holder as a youngster when I lived in Rutherglen (might have seen you play parsmad68 as I saw them a lot in the Eddie Hunter era) - a group of my friends were Pars fans when I moved to Edinburgh - I used to get the train through to Glasgow and meet up with them afterwards in the Cafe Royal along with Norrie, John Watson, Davie Young and Davie Moyes (fae Tranent) - been a season ticket holder with the Pars for well over 30 years now but still make a point of watching the Spiders at least once every season.

My favourite player was a little winger called Jimmy Gilmour - he ended up at Falkirk though.

Andy Robertson and Paul Paton were well after my time but even back in the day they brought through some fab players - I remember Alan Irvine (Everton), John McGregor(Liverpool) and of course the magical Mark Smith.

I also loved a little midfielder called Paul O’Brien who also came to the Pars but never really made it - I think he only played a couple of games.

Having said all that they are now moving to Lesser Hampden — they occasionally played league games on a Friday night before a Scotland international and I always loved them.

Andy J

Post Edited (Fri 15 Nov 09:19)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 08:58

The first of Sir Fergie’s six clubs as a player.

Ron McKinven, who also played with him at St.Johnstone, lived across the street from my Gran - he was a Olympian with team GB in 1960 due to amateur status with QP.

Sad change really.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gwh18  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 09:00

If it was done 152 years ago we might not have to dealt with true bigot brothers. It playing at Hampton in the future makes it sadder still.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Fri 15 Nov 09:01

I'm pretty sure they are the only senior amateur club in the world?

They pretty much invented the game, so it seems a shame to go professional-having said that, I think they were losing all the players for nothing, so maybe could only see a bleak future.

The move to lesser Hampden overdue, but really their bragging rights have gone- will they be able to attract support?
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net