DAFC.net
Home 11 December 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Ok Easy Question
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Sun 24 Nov 21:59

Unlike the EPL at the moment where Pochettino is breathing down the neck of every manager under performing.

Who do we actually have realistically in a position to replace Crawford if he was to be sacked this week.

Lets keep it real and lets be honest with potential free agent candidates as I don't believe especially now we have the resources to buy out or offer any compensation.

The candidate must have a better track record than currently employed is the only other contributing factor!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Ok Easy Question
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sun 24 Nov 22:02

Given what the chairman announced at the end of last season I didn’t think we had the budget to pay fees for at least 4 players either.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Sun 24 Nov 22:05

But then we sold Jackson Longridge...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Sun 24 Nov 22:26

Here’s a revolutionary idea - assuming the position becomes vacant, why not advertise it and interview the best candidates? - it seems to work quite well in many industries.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Sun 24 Nov 22:27

Perhaps there are managers out there with clauses in their contracts which allow them to move on without a fee being required if a bigger club comes along
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Sun 24 Nov 23:13

If we decide to dispense with Crawford hopefully we advertise post and interview interested candidates. Still think it would be a job that would have a lot of interest and may get a pleasant surprise at applicants. At the moment I'd be struggling to think of anyone of the top of my head though.

Post Edited (Sun 24 Nov 23:21)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sun 24 Nov 23:17

Sounds good, we might get another Ray McKinnon. Take us to the seaside league and then we sack him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 00:04

Keep Crawford all season and the seaside league is where we are heading
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: tappies par  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 00:16

Billy Davies
Owen Coyle
Craig Brewster
Lee Bullen
Darren Young
Stuart Petrie
Dick Campbell
Neil McCann
Jimmy Nichol
Paul Smith
Calum Davidson
Ian Ferguson
Andy Rhodes
Danny Grainger
Ian McCall
Kenny Miller
I would like to see a combination of Calum Davidson & Neil McCann no sure if Davidson is a free agent. Both highly regarded. Both have something to prove. Think they would get the best out of our young team.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 00:48

No one is really jumping out to be honest but that shouldn't be enough to keep Crawford in the job. Petrie and Darren Young would be gambles but preferable to the likes of John Hughes, Terry Butcher etc.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 00:48

Neil McCann????

You are having a laugh. He was here working with Potter when we were absolutely murder and he failed badly at Dundee. Why on earth would you want him?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 00:51

Calum Davidson back at a team in England now I think.

I'd love John Collins to come in.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parplod  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 06:40

I think Davidson has joined up again with Gary Rowett at Millwall.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 08:09

Quote:

Johan_Cruyff, Mon 25 Nov 00:51

Calum Davidson back at a team in England now I think.

I'd love John Collins to come in.

It was a Partick fan who won the Lottery unfortunately, JC. ☹

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JohnnyW  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 09:03

" Petrie and Darren Young would be gambles"

Why? They have both done very well as managers. Have a bit of a track reckord and experience.

If we're talking about a gamble then handing the keys to Crawford without even seeing who else was out there, the guy had very little managerial experience, that experience was also a bit of a disaster. That was a massive gamble and it's backfiring at the moment.

------------------------------------------------------------
Best tweet ever:

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 10:01

Darren Young for me, has done a good job wherever he has been
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 10:13

Except east fife where in the 3 years he’s been in charge has failed twice at getting them out of league 1 he’s no really got the proven track record everyone on here bangs on about his track record at east fife reads knocked out all 3 cups two seasons running and bottled promotion two seasons running only reason he looks like doing marginally better this season is because of how cr@p Falkirk are

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 10:19

Jimmy Nichol,Dick Campbell,Jim McIntyre,John Robertson,Jim Duffy,John McGlynn,Martin Canning,Kenny Shiels etc

As long as we see an advert ,draw up a short leet, and appoint an experienced Manager.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 11:47

I realise the aim of the OP was perhaps to evaluate some Scottish managers who aŕe currently unemployed, but to speculate about a potential successor to Stevie Crawford while he is still our manager is in pretty poor taste, in my humble one.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 12:36

Saturday saw our fifth humiliating defeat since January and that was one too many.

The Crawford project has not been a success.

I do not want to see the ghastly public outrage of 5th January repeated which we all witnessed against Alan Johnston and Sandy Clark.

I have conceded that the Board may decide not to act.That is their prerogative.

If they chose that option, the Attendances will diminish.They are the club's very life blood.Gates and Seasons are already more than 10% down and winter is round the corner.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Perkins  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 12:40

"Topic Originator: back oh the net |
Date: Mon 25 Nov 10:13

"his track record at east fife reads knocked out all 3 cups two seasons running..."

You're judging the manager of East Fife on not delivering a major trophy?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 12:55

Sorry GG, but this is football where there is no room for sentiment. Crawford's on his way out the door and well he knows it. He's lost most of the fans and by the look of things, a fair section of the dressing room.

Looking at the names of candidates listed so far, most are already employed, which means we would have to pay compensation. I would be surprised if we went down that route.

Of the others mentioned, I would favour John Hughes or John Collins.

There's been some pretty uninformed comments on here about Yogi. He's got a sound background of success at this level and a winning mentality. What happened at the Wee Team was unfortunate, but as anyone who has been in management will tell you, there come points where you have to lay aside the niceties and shatter some glass. The really unfortunate thing there was that his chairman didn't back him up when he should have.

Collins similarly is a disciplinarian, but with a football knowledge that is light years ahead of most managers in Scotland. He would be a magnificent pick for us... if we could afford him.

On the other hand, if it turns out to be Jim McIntyre, then that would be the last straw for me. It would just scunner me to see him back in control at EEP.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 13:02

That I am perskins his name is banded about on here far to often as a replacement but no one seems to be able to justify him being the man for the job I just don’t see the logic in replacing a poor manager with another poor manager but I notice you totally side stepped the fact that under Darren Young’s stewardship east fife have bottled promotion twice which tells me that when there is a fight to be had he is as much a motivator as Crawford is

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 13:56

"That I am perskins his name is banded about on here far to often as a replacement but no one seems to be able to justify him being the man for the job I just don’t see the logic in replacing a poor manager with another poor manager but I notice you totally side stepped the fact that under Darren Young’s stewardship east fife have bottled promotion twice which tells me that when there is a fight to be had he is as much a motivator as Crawford is"

Albion Rovers were sitting 5th in League 1 when Darren Young left them, They're now second bottom of league 2. He's taken an East Fife team that over the last few decades have yo-yo'd between league 1 and 2, to just missing out on last years play off and now in the mix with 2 bigger, and full time teams, and according to the in laws playing some decent football at the same time.

I wanted Young when Crawford got the job, and still would take him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: summeragent  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 14:21

Darren Young, Ian Murray or Danny Lennon.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: summeragent  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 14:22

....or maybe even Peter Grant..
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 16:36

Sacking a manager and replacing him is so easy from behind a keyboard. Some of the suggestions are fanciful. Isn't it likely that John Collins has had far more attractive propositions to return to football management than taking on a skint Championship club and has turned them down?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 16:40

Quote:

JohnnyW, Mon 25 Nov 09:03

" Petrie and Darren Young would be gambles"

Why? They have both done very well as managers. Have a bit of a track reckord and experience.

If we're talking about a gamble then handing the keys to Crawford without even seeing who else was out there, the guy had very little managerial experience, that experience was also a bit of a disaster. That was a massive gamble and it's backfiring at the moment.

I think gambling isnt the issue. We had no money after paying off AJ and co. Plus overspent on underachievers and Stevie was already on the books. It was the sensible thing to do.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 17:16

Put the job out and see who applies, the three that immediately spring to mind would be Young, Petrie and McIntyre, all three would undoubtedly be an improvement on where we are at the moment.

James McDonough would be an interesting one, Edinburgh have Improved markedly since he came in, went from being 50 points of the top to being title challengers, ex coach at Hibs and Falkirk, won the youth Cup with Hibs and seemed a good coach, has then went on and proved he's a solid manager.

Without looking into it too deeply that's four managers with a more impressive c.v
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 17:33

Quote :-

Topic Originator: OzPar like | nolike Like: 2
Date: Mon 25 Nov 12:55

Sorry GG, but this is football where there is no room for sentiment. Crawford's on his way out the door and well he knows it. He's lost most of the fans and by the look of things, a fair section of the dressing room.

Sorry OzPar but I have to agree with GG on this one... its not a sentiment issue more a disrespectful issue

Think we should wait to see if SC resigns or is removed before we speculate who should replace him ...... my generation was brought up to have respect for others ......... just saying

Post Edited (Mon 25 Nov 17:36)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 19:22

Quote:

Buspasspar, Mon 25 Nov 17:33
Quote :-
Topic Originator: OzPar like | nolike Like: 2
Date: Mon 25 Nov 12:55

Sorry OzPar but I have to agree with GG on this one... its not a sentiment issue more a disrespectful issue

Think we should wait to see if SC resigns or is removed before we speculate who should replace him ...... my generation was brought up to have respect for others ......... just saying

I wasn't being sentimental, Oz. BPP got it. I was meaning it was disrespectful to Crawford to speculate on a successor while he's still our manager.

BPP, you don't need to explain the respect thing to Oz, he's from the same generation as you and me.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 25 Nov 20:17

Quote GG Riva :-

BPP, you don't need to explain the respect thing to Oz, he's from the same generation as you and me.

I was not having a pop at Oz GG he comes across as a good guy I was having a pop at the posters naming who they want as our next manager while we still have a manager
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 00:50

Sorry fellas, I guess the point that I failed to make very well was that supporting football isn't about rational thinking, or respect, or indeed any of those other qualities that we may normally employ throughout our daily lives.

There's a collective madness that overwhelms all football fans, that sweeps in waves in one direction then the other, depending on what happens on the football field on a Saturday afternoon. Everything is black or white.

It is so easy to get caught up in it these days, now that the press of a 'send' button instantly transmits our every thought on the matter across the world.

Oft times, I miss the simplicity of days long past - watching a match on a Saturday, enthusing or complaining to family and friends about it all evening, then waiting to read the paper the next morning to get confirmation of the experience.

By Monday morning, thoughts of football were quickly replaced by other, more relevant things in our lives, and it wouldn't be until Friday afternoon that attention would turn to the next game.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 07:33

In the Catholic Church ,when a Pope is in his twilight years ,folk look at the Cardinals and speculate as regards the next Pope.It is not being disrespectful.

I know that the relative and friends who come with me to a match on a Saturday have called off despite the prospect of seeing Super Joe Cardle and Ryan Williamson.

And so it begins.......
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 08:27

Quote:

Sliema Par, Tue 26 Nov 07:33

In the Catholic Church ,when a Pope is in his twilight years ,folk look at the Cardinals and speculate as regards the next Pope.It is not being disrespectful.

I know that the relative and friends who come with me to a match on a Saturday have called off despite the prospect of seeing Super Joe Cardle and Ryan Williamson.

And so it begins.......

Hardly a very apt analogy, SP. Crawford is not exactly in his "twilight years". I wouldn't even saddle you with that label, you old fossil. 😉

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 09:40

You may have made a cardinal error..........
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 09:49

Do we look for smoke coming from EEP?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 18:53

Whenever Stevie does leave,another Manager will Pope up.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 19:46

^^^^ :-)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 21:37

I'll be CROSS if one doesn't.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 21:39

GG Riva

Another little pop, turning into a habit mate.

You could read it in a totally different way if you chose to or read it as you did.

Disrespectful I wasn't being, I was asking for a debate on who is available out there if the board were to sack Crawford (or he resigns).

This could actually make some people realise that currently (as alluded to with Pochettino breathing down every managers neck currently) we don't have a manager available in Scotland that would unite the fans and be proven as better than we have now available.

Indicating that change for change sake with no-one glaringly obviously better freely available, maybe is why the board aren't rushing to make change and prepared to give SC a bit more time.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 21:57

Quote:

renegade master, Tue 26 Nov 21:39

GG Riva

You could read it in a totally different way if you chose to or read it as you did.

Disrespectful I wasn't being, I was asking for a debate on who is available out there if the board were to sack Crawford (or he resigns).

This could actually make some people realise that currently (as alluded to with Pochettino breathing down every managers neck currently) we don't have a manager available in Scotland that would unite the fans and be proven as better than we have now available.

Indicating that change for change sake with no-one glaringly obviously better freely available, maybe is why the board aren't rushing to make change and prepared to give SC a bit more time.

RM, I wasn't having a pop at you at all. That's the trouble with forums, people put their own interpretation on things. Sometimes they're right and sometimes they get it wrong. I was just expressing a general opinion that I don't think it's quite right to speculate about who might come in to replace the manager of OUR team while he's still in the job. I think it's different if we're speculating about managers of other clubs - that's not being hypocritical - we don't necessarily owe them any respect.

I hope that clarifies my position. I don't post on here to upset my fellow Pars fans, although it can inadvertently happen. I think that's the second time you've taken exception to something I've posted, but if you go back and read my post again, I think you'll realise that I wasn't having a go at you at all so, it's not really becoming a habit. I can't remember what the previous one was about so I can't comment on it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 22:16

Topic Originator: GG Riva like | nolike
Date: Tue 26 Nov 21:57

Quote:

renegade master, Tue 26 Nov 21:39

GG Riva

RM, I wasn't having a pop at you at all. That's the trouble with forums, people put their own interpretation on things. Sometimes they're right and sometimes they get it wrong. I was just expressing a general opinion that I don't think it's quite right to speculate about who might come in to replace the manager of OUR team while he's still in the job. I think it's different if we're speculating about managers of other clubs - that's not being hypocritical - we don't necessarily owe them any respect.

I hope that clarifies my position. I don't post on here to upset my fellow Pars fans, although it can inadvertently happen. I think that's the second time you've taken exception to something I've posted, but if you go back and read my post again, I think you'll realise that I wasn't having a go at you at all so, it's not really becoming a habit. I can't remember what the previous one was about so I can't comment on it.

I realise the aim of the OP was perhaps to evaluate some Scottish managers who aŕe currently unemployed, but to speculate about a potential successor to Stevie Crawford while he is still our manager is in pretty poor taste, in my humble one.

Ok, I must been reading your response wrong.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Kebab  
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 23:27

The argument that there isn’t another manager available is laughable. Someone knocks up a post with a list of Scottish managers and everyone takes it as gospel that those are the only mangers available
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars Kebab  
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 23:29

😂😂😂😂😂Mangers !!!!!! Autocorrect we do! Oh autocorrect we love you ! Free bottle of wine for mangers???
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 27 Nov 07:18

Quote:

renegade master, Tue 26 Nov 22:16

Ok, I must been reading your response wrong.

Not sure if your response is sarcastic or not, Andy, so I'll clarify further. (See what I mean about interpretation?) For me, the caveat at the start is saying " Look, I know this wasn't your intention but...." whereas you've given more weight to what followed and taken it as a personal criticism, which was not my intention. Apologies for not making that clear and unambiguous.

When I first started posting on here, my "sensitivity meter" was on a high setting. I found it really hard to take any criticism or ridicule of any post I made, never mind insults and abuse. (I remember you getting plenty from one or two posters at the end of the Masterton debacle.) Eventually, I realised I either had to stop posting or reset my "meter". I think it was on "moderate " for a while and now it's on "low."

Life's too short is a clichè, but that doesn't mean it's not true. You, more than most folk on this forum, know there are far more important things in life than arguing about the fortunes of a middle-of-the-road, Scottish football club.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 27 Nov 10:24

Correct!

I'd just driven 5 hours from Yorkshire when reading it last night so might have had a lot of my satire chords numbed.

I can see both sides of all points and in a good mood I would have be totally chilled, in rabbit mode..................

Moved on.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: