DAFC.net
Home 10 December 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 New Manager Bounce.....
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 20:24

Does it only last for one game, or have the Spurs players not read the script?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: New Manager Bounce.....
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 20:33

Its not Jose's fault GG never is or has been but wait till they maybe win a game then he will point out his tactical nous ...... megalomaniac
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 21:09

Fat lady......
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 21:11

Ah, it's back. Jose had just temporarily mislaid it. Good game since Eriksson came on for Dier.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 21:14

Yes Jose seen the way to change the game tactically and wasn't afraid to change it.

Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 21:35

Hats off and humble pie
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 21:39

Quote:

Buspasspar, Tue 26 Nov 21:35

Hats off and humble pie

Indeed. I could even become a Mourinho fan, if Spurs are going to be regularly involved in games as entertaining as this.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Tue 26 Nov 22:48

Yes, great game and what a strike from Aurier. Can't help liking Jose and wishing him well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Wed 27 Nov 09:06

Ask Sunderland about that new manager bounce.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Wed 27 Nov 17:43

As soon as Spurs scored their second and drew even, Jose took off Lucas and put on Sissoko, knowing that a draw was all he needed. Jose's bus must still be in the repair shop, though, because Spurs continued to attack and scored two more.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 27 Nov 18:12

I just watched a bit if his post match interview and I'm not convinced......Its the same old look at what I did to win the game but in a more measured, humble, caring, and considerate demeanour ..... Is it his twin brother ??
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 Nov 07:53

Without obsessing over Jose, is there such a thing as the "New Manager Bounce"?

Yes, sometimes a team's fortunes do improve under a new manager, but often they don't and as I've mentioned many times on here, the human brain is programmed to remember things that happen rather than those which don't.

The greatest example of all time, as far as the Pars is concerned, is Jock Stein. We were long odds on to be relegated when he took over at EEP. Not only did he keep us up that season, with a string of unlikely wins, but led us to our first ever Scottish Cup win the following season.

Now that's what I call a real bounce.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 28 Nov 10:46

Depends on who the new manger is.I just read study that between 2014/15 and 2018/19 there were 36 mid season managerial changes in the EPL. Within that there was 9 instances of a manager being dismissed whilst within the relegation zone and the team managed to go on to avoid relegation. Against that there were 10 instances of mid season appointments who ultimately got relegated anyway after taking over within the relegation zone

Jan Siewert (Huddersfield Town)
Scott Parker (Fulham)*
Carlos Carvalhal (Swansea)
Paul Lambert (Stoke City)
Darren Moore (West Bromwich Albion)*
Marco Silva (Hull City)
Steve Agnew (Middlesbrough)*
Rafael Benítez (Newcastle United)
Eric Black (Aston Villa)*
Chris Ramsey (QPR)

Benitez took Newcastle up the table but still got relegated but then obviously brought them straight back up and some of the above like Siewert had
absolutely no chance of saving them.4 of the 10 were only caretaker managers.

Average league position increase after changing manager

Everton: 10
Crystal Palace: 6.3
Chelsea: 6
Leicester City: 5.7
West Ham United: 5

Average league position decrease after appointing a manager

Watford: -4
Newcastle: -2
QPR: -1
Stoke: -1

Only really Watford have suffered significantly as a result of changing their manager mid-season with an average decrease of 4 places-probably not helped by changing their manager every season-the new manager bounce has obviously worn off there and their fall has continued this season.

Of course none of this proves anything but it's interesting reading.Here is the article

https://www.thesackrace.com/news/20th-september-2019/premier-league-manager-bounce-study-2014-2019-how-successful-are-managerial-changes
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Thu 28 Nov 11:35

Sunderland heavily went for the cheap route PUP. God knows what they were thinking. I think they’ve lost more games under Parkinson already than they did under Jack Ross!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Thu 28 Nov 11:51

Thing is League one in England is notoriously difficult to get out of for bigger teams. Much like league 1 up here you need a lot of nouse and gritty players to get through a season as champions. Sunderland seem to have tried a few routes with little success. Jack Ross shouldn't have been given the hoof imo despite their fans giving him stick he kept them well within the hunt, he just had a few too many draws. Parkinson seems a shambolic appointment, the Sunderland fans chanted "you're getting sacked in the morning" by my count his record is 2 wins, 7 losses and 2 draws. Not great
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 Nov 15:58

Quote:

RossF, Thu 28 Nov 11:35

Sunderland heavily went for the cheap route PUP. God knows what they were thinking. I think they’ve lost more games under Parkinson already than they did under Jack Ross!

When Jack Ross was sacked, the Sunderland board said that with their squad, they should be in the top 2.

Now they're saying they'll need to bring in a raft of new players in January....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 Nov 16:01

linking to "similarities" we are seeing. Sunderland reported 7k at home for Home Gillingham FA cup game and 26k attendance on tuesday night for league game vs Burton.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Thu 28 Nov 16:26

Madness isn’t it GG? Sadly, sacking Ross was the wrong option for them. He drew far to many games for them but once he got them out of league one I think they would have improved massively. He was fantastic with St Mirren and I think will go on to be a success with Hibernian. He could do with them what McInnes has done with Aberdeen.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Thu 28 Nov 17:04

The majority of the Sunderland fans want rid of the manager but still feel getting rid of Ross was right. You are right that he lost very few games and had far too many draws - their major gripe though was the style of football - slow, turgid and defensive- set up not to lose rather than to win. That is fine when you are the underdog but Sunderland were the big boys and expected to win.

The stats from the game in Paisley were interesting - Hibs won but with very few goal attempts - the next few months will be telling.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 29 Nov 10:12

"Hibs won but with very few goal attempts "

conversely to that, creating few(er?) chances but playing to a strength to getting Doidge finishing what is created could be the master stroke. He was a standout at Forest green before Bolton shafted him over.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: