DAFC.net
Home 18 September 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 2030 World Cup
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 4 Dec 07:16

I know it's still some way away, but it would be great to have the WC on our doorstep.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50650490

Who knows - with 48 teams competing in the tournament, we might get a free pass or even qualify on merit. 😃

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 2030 World Cup
Topic Originator: EdmontonPar  
Date:   Wed 4 Dec 17:41

Don’t the hosts usually get the free pass anyway. We’d still somehow find a way to not make it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Wed 4 Dec 17:51

But the UEFA allocation is only going up from 13 to 16, which if the 4 home nations go automatically in then be effectively the same. I can’t see why the rest of UEFA nations would allow this?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Wed 4 Dec 19:02

Not a chance all 4 would get byes. Would imagine there would be A playoff and 1 or 2 who maybe didn't automatically qualify would get a bye (Ruling out England as they naturally would). No idea how they'd work that though
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 4 Dec 19:10

If one place is reserved, perhaps the 4 home nations should play in a small league of 4. That way the winning team would get in automatically.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Livingston Par  
Date:   Wed 4 Dec 22:58

I thought America, Canada & Mexico are all getting slots for their one?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 4 Dec 23:38

Aye but isn't that world cup a 48 nation affair?

There's battle lines being drawn Nobody's right if everybody is wrong.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Livingston Par  
Date:   Wed 4 Dec 23:51

So is 2030?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 00:15

Yeah probably. It's not yet been decided if the hosts for 2024 will gain automatic qualification but the organisers expect that to be the case.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 06:37

''It's not yet been decided if the hosts for 2024 will gain automatic qualification but the organisers expect that to be the case.''

You're confusing me, TOWK. There isn't a WC in 2024. With regard to the number of finalists, once it increases to 48, it'll never go down again, as history has shown. Remember we had 16 finalists at Argentina 78, increasing to 24 at Spain 82 and 32 at France 98.

I have a suspicion that these increases have been driven by the SFA, in an attempt to allow Scotland to qualify once more, after an absence of more than 20 years...... 😉

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 09:23

I'm confusing myself GG. I meant the world cup in 2026.The thing about the 48 team world cup though is I believe that for 24 of the teams it will only involve one game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 09:40

I absolutely love the WC and Euros, but we are in danger of cannibalising with too many teams and hosts.

The upcoming Euros look a bit of a mess, and as for Qatar....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 11:32

I agree but unfortunately FIFA are looking at increasing global audiences and maximising the tv revenues that go with it so we're pretty much on a one way trajectory on that front.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 13:21

Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks like | nolike
Date: Thu 5 Dec 09:23

I'm confusing myself GG. I meant the world cup in 2026.The thing about the 48 team world cup though is I believe that for 24 of the teams it will only involve one game.

It’s 16 groups of 3 teams (2 games each) with the top 2 going through to knockouts. I can very tights groups with the smallest amount of luck being the decider. Cue VAR !
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 13:53

Quote:

DulochConvert, Thu 5 Dec 13:21

Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks like | nolike
Date: Thu 5 Dec 09:23

It’s 16 groups of 3 teams (2 games each) with the top 2 going through to knockouts. I can very tights groups with the smallest amount of luck being the decider. Cue VAR !

I wonder if they'll adopt the same format they used for the 3 team groups in the second phase of Spain 82, which was that the team losing the first game then "stayed on" to play the second game. This ensured that the last game wasn't meaningless as only the top team qualified for the semi-finals.

This format was abandoned after that WC. At Mexico 86 we had 4 3rd placed teams qualifying for the last 16 which was a straight knockout.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 16:11

The problem with 3 team groups (and one which reared its ugly head at that World Cup) is that the final group game is the only one going on so a result can be manufactured like in the (in)famous West Germany v Austria game. It's much better having 4 teams in a group with concurrent final group fixtures.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 17:54

Quote:

kelty_par, Thu 5 Dec 16:11

The problem with 3 team groups (and one which reared its ugly head at that World Cup) is that the final group game is the only one going on so a result can be manufactured like in the (in)famous West Germany v Austria game. It's much better having 4 teams in a group with concurrent final group fixtures.

The only problem with your example is that West Germany and Austria were in a FOUR team group, KP. 🙂 This was the final group game in the first phase and was played in the evening, whereas the other two teams in that group concluded theirs in the afternoon. Thus the only result which would eliminate Algeria (who had beaten the Germans in their opening game) and allow both European nations to advance, was a 1-0 win for W. Germany - and guess what........? You've guessed. There was no football played after the Germans took an early lead - just a succession of square and back passes as the two teams kept the ball in turn to a perpetual chorus of jeers and whistles from the crowd, who'd come to watch a real game of football.

That FIFA failed to act and throw both the Germans and Austrians out was a disgrace. Apparently, they couldn't act since the two teams hadn't broken any rules = there's no rule which states that teams must try and win a game. I can't help thinking that if two smaller nations had been involved in such a farcical game, they'd have been sent packing. To add insult to injury, W. Germany reached the final only to be comprehensively gubbed by Italy.

The 3 team groups were in the second phase. W. Germany were in with England and Spain.

Eta. To avoid a repeat scenario, FIFA ordered that the last round of group games be played simultaneously at future tournaments.

I think there was a similar scenario at Argentina 78 when the hosts had to play Peru in their last second phase group game, knowing they had to better Brazil's 3-0 win in their final game played earlier that day. Argentina won 6-0 and the fact that Peru played with an Argentina born goalie meant conspiracy theorists everywhere had a field day......

Post Edited (Fri 06 Dec 07:15)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net