DAFC.net
Home $D " ; ?>
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Referee apologising to Gerrard
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 12:56

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50667225

Putting to one side the fact that John Beaton obviously forgot he's supposed to award the bigot brothers penalties when they need them... I'll look forward to Gerrard apologising in the press next time rangers get an incorrect penalty decision (or better still, informing his team to allow the opposition to score as redress)

Post Edited (Thu 05 Dec 12:57)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Referee apologising to Gerrard
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 15:00

Gerrard going public about a private conversation does him no favours. He was a great player but he has been infected with the Therangers/Celtic virus which causes anyone connected to either club to complain loud and long when any decision doesn't go in their favour.

Of course it doesn't take an Einstein to work out why they do this. The next time Beaton is assigned a game involving the Ibrox club, his performance will be under intense scrutiny and he will be under similarly intense pressure to make up for his alleged error, by awarding them even the softest of penalties in a tight game, where they need a helping hand from the match officials.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 15:15

It would be so much easier if referees( and their assistants) did a post match interview with the press like they do with players and managers.

Disspointed in Gerrard, I thought he was a bigger man than that.

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FRED1981  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 17:04

Guaranteed a penalty for Sevco the next time Masonic Beaton officiates.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 18:27

Who told the referee that he made a mistake, Dave King!

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 18:52

Hope they get pumped on Sunday ( and I think they will )

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 20:49

Quote:

MDCCCLXXXV, Thu 5 Dec 15:15

It would be so much easier if referees( and their assistants) did a post match interview with the press like they do with players and managers.

Disspointed in Gerrard, I thought he was a bigger man than that.

I don't agree with you. Sure, it would be easier for us and more interesting, but a lot of refs would end up digging themselves into a hole if they had to explain any decision they got wrong unless they simply held their hands up. That's why they're advised not to give post match interviews.

Back on topic, I think Beaton was ill advised to speak to Gerrard at all after the game, far less admit he got it wrong. All he's done is put himself in an impossible situation next time he refs one of their games and there's always the chance he'll come in for special attention from some of the more extreme knuckledraggers.

Post Edited (Thu 05 Dec 20:50)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 22:42

I had £30 on next goal to be a penalty @ 14/1 - seething

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 23:34

I know referees are professionals, but surely best not to pee them off? Wouldn't be surprised if Gerrard finds some of his loutish players getting a few more cards.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Thu 5 Dec 23:56

Ouch.....sore one lux

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Fri 6 Dec 07:54

Gerrard is turning into a numbnut with this sort of nonsense, easy option for a manager to reflect on poor refereeing decisions or even perceived poor decisions. Ultimately what if he’s twisted Beatons words? What if Beaton said “sorry you feel that way” rather than sorry got it wrong? Reality is we will never truly know what he said because refs are not allowed to come out after and speak.

Regardless of a dodgy penalty decision, want to explain why your team was 2-0 up and threw it away Mr G?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 6 Dec 07:56

Or explain why they can't beat a team with a fraction of their income?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 Dec 08:29

Quote:

jake89, Thu 5 Dec 23:34

I know referees are professionals, but surely best not to pee them off? Wouldn't be surprised if Gerrard finds some of his loutish players getting a few more cards.

I would agree that it's best to keep the refs onside and from personal experience, there was none better at that than our own Jim Leishman. "I like a ref who keeps up with the play", "Great decision, ref" and "I don't agree with that, ref" were all remarks he directed at me when I refereed him at U-21 level.

In the case of Beaton, he's allegedly "a Rangers man", if the pub he drinks in is anything to go by. This would explain his alleged "mea culpa" confession, after the game at Pittodrie. If true, he'll have ample opportunity to make up for it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 6 Dec 11:32

All that Gerrard has achieved by divilging aspects of a private discussion is to ensure that in future referees will not engage with him in this manner.

Maybe when Beaton retires he can offer an opinion of SG's managerial errors of judgement ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gadgie59  
Date:   Fri 6 Dec 12:20

ok - so here's a suggestion for changing the way FIFA referees deal with their on-field decisions.

How about they explain them 'on the field' - you know, they way they do in Rugby Union, NFL etc?

Just a thought.

“Football is a beautiful game,
It should be played beautifully.”
Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gegganpar  
Date:   Fri 6 Dec 19:04

Why the F##K should he get an apology?...... Did any other manager get an apology for mistakes Referees made against their team?

J angus blacklaws
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Fri 6 Dec 19:57

Our Stevie never got an apology at Alloa when the Alloa player handled in the box.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Fri 6 Dec 21:32

Quote:

GG Riva, Fri 6 Dec 08:29

Quote:

jake89, Thu 5 Dec 23:34

I would agree that it's best to keep the refs onside and from personal experience, there was none better at that than our own Jim Leishman. "I like a ref who keeps up with the play", "Great decision, ref" and "I don't agree with that, ref" were all remarks he directed at me when I refereed him at U-21 level.

In the case of Beaton, he's allegedly "a Rangers man", if the pub he drinks in is anything to go by. This would explain his alleged "mea culpa" confession, after the game at Pittodrie. If true, he'll have ample opportunity to make up for it.

I'm sure the Cellic police will out this guy and he'll end up with broken windows and police protection for his family and his house ,as has happened to other referee's just doing thier chosen past time .

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StuPar82  
Date:   Fri 6 Dec 22:29

Rangers surrendered a 2-0 lead in a game they were in complete control of and, despite still having 40+mins to play, they weren’t able to swing the game back in their favour. All this one week before a cup final against Celtic, where everyone connected with the club will be praying that they can break Celtic’s ‘Treble habit’ and have vindicated their belief they are more than ‘also rans’.

Call me cynical, but I am sure Gerrard’s comments have had the effect he was looking for, completely changing this week’s narrative, taking the heat off the Rangers team and onto Beaton/that decision. I am sure that Gerrard will also be hoping this subconsciously influences any big call in Sunday’s game... almost like he is channeling his inner-Fergie. In saying that, I don’t think Collum would let anything sway his trademark brand of decision making.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Dec 10:17

"In saying that, I don’t think Collum would let anything sway his trademark brand of decision making."

Oor Wullie, former head of RE at one of the largest Catholic faith secondaries in the country - ideal background for refereeing a Celtic v Rangers game !!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Sat 7 Dec 10:31

ic Originator: veteraneastender like | nolike
Date: Sat 7 Dec 10:17

"In saying that, I don’t think Collum would let anything sway his trademark brand of decision making."

Oor Wullie, former head of RE at one of the largest Catholic faith secondaries in the country - ideal background for refereeing a Celtic v Rangers game !!!

Yes he is, as he is on FIFAs elite list and considered one of the top refs around, that should be the only fact considered.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Dec 11:04

"Yes he is, as he is on FIFAs elite list and considered one of the top refs around, that should be the only fact considered."

I wasn't suggesting otherwise - but try telling that to the Govan Bears !!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 7 Dec 12:02

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sat 7 Dec 10:17

Some Sellick fans who are former colleagues of mine have told me Collum never gives them anything, especially when they play Therangers, for fear of being accused of bias, because of his religious background.

I wonder if the Teddy Bears think the same about Beaton?

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net