DAFC.net
Home 03 August 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Football Autobiographies
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 27 Dec 06:10

I'm currently reading the autobiography of the legendary Spurs and England striker, Jimmy Greaves, the most prolific goalscorer of his generation. Not the most imaginative of titles, ''Greavsie'' is simply written, but in a witty and humorous style, laced with numerous, scarcely believable anecdotes. It gives a fascinating insight into the contrasts of football from some 60 years ago, with the business industry of the modern game.

An altogether excellent read to while away some of the dark winter hours. Maybe some of you could point us in the direction of other footballing autobiographies you have read and enjoyed?

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Fri 27 Dec 06:12)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Football Autobiographies
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Fri 27 Dec 09:39

Have to say that I'm not big into autobiographies, GG, but I did enjoy Alex Ferguson's first one, Managing my Life. As you say some of the anecdotes from the earlier era are almost unbelievable.
Some years ago in conversation with a contemporary of the great Everton centre-forward, Dixie Dean, he revealed that the player routinely went to a local pub prior to every game and downed three or four points.
Sports science ...... eat your heart out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Fri 27 Dec 15:18

The first peter crouch book was pretty funny, the kevin Keegan book was passionate and enjoyable.
I just finished robbie fowlers which was very good.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Fri 27 Dec 18:00

I read Fernando Ricksen's a few years ago and that was a great read.

Off topic - David Jason's is great too!

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: adampar1  
Date:   Fri 27 Dec 18:54

Was on hols recently and read a few decent footy books.

Paul Ferris - Ex Newcastle physio, not the Glasgow (alleged) gangster!
Keith Gillespie
Adrian Doherty Ex Man U player who died tragically
Jon Parkin - English journeymen, some really good stories

Post Edited (Fri 27 Dec 18:56)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 27 Dec 19:17

Edson Arantes do Nascimento After Football; The Rise of Pele.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BlackLight  
Date:   Fri 27 Dec 19:30

Lee Bullen has an autobiography.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Fri 27 Dec 20:22

Kevin Keegan's book was really good.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 28 Dec 08:45

Talking of unbelievable anecdotes, Jimmy Greaves first manager was Ted Drake at Chelsea. Greaves revealed that Drake was nicknamed "All the best" by the players because that was the sum total of his pre match team talk as the players made their way out onto the pitch.

He also told how he scored 7 goals for Chelsea in a youth game. Drake had done the same for Chelsea in a senior game. He told Greaves to enjoy his feat as he'd never do it again.

Greaves scored 8 in the next game....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Sat 28 Dec 09:37

It was Arsenal he scored 7 for V Aston Villa, I recently got this wrong in a pub quiz!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sat 28 Dec 11:19

I have been a fan of George Best practically since I was in diapers. I just loved everything about him; even his propensity to go astray. As a teenager, I copied his hairstyle, I grew sideburns just like him, I bought George Best flares from the Littlewoods catalogue and I wore George Best purple and black football "shoes" when I played the game. None worked...

He was a wonderful footballer, but like so many of us, he had his flaws. These are all the perfect ingredients for a ripping yarn or two and I cannot recommend his autobiography 'Blessed' high enough. From start to finish, it's an enthralling read. Funny and sad in equal measure.

There's another book to complement it - 'Scoring at Half Time' - which was ghosted by the writer, Martin Knight. It came out just before Georgie's death and, as the title suggests, was full of some juicy yarns about his naughtiness.

In that book, there is one story about a horrible trick he played on the manager Joe Mercer which had me crying with laughter.

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Sat 28 Dec 12:32

Gary Neville’s book RED was absolutely brilliant I thought. Read it on holiday a couple of summers ago, thoroughly enjoyed it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sat 28 Dec 15:49

I really enjoyed Grievsie's erstwhile sparring partner's autobiography, which has a similarly imaginative title: The Saint.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 08:47

That's me finished Jimmy Greaves book. It's more a narrative of post war life in England than an autobiography, the hand of Greaves' "helper" is obvious throughout, but it's still an enjoyable read overall. The humour and nostalgia will appeal to all, but especially to those of us who grew up in the 50s and 60s. Above all, Greaves mourns the morphing of football from a game of fun and entertainment into a multi billion pound industry - a regret which will be shared by young and old alike. He points out how the media praise managers and coaches who take the fun out of football. "The manager got his tactics spot on and silenced the home fans."

I'm going to read a Denis Law book now. Should also be a good read, with the added bonus that he's Scottish.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 10:16

Bobby Robson/Tony Adams/Keith Gillespie/Mark Halsey/Jeff Winter are all pretty good

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ReturningParsFan  
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 10:36

Try two books by Garry Nelson - Left Foot Forward and Left Foot in the Grave. He was a journeyman player for Charlton who then had a go at management of Torquay Utd. It all happened in the 90s, but he writes well and the books give a different perspective on life as a pro footballer before all the money got to the English game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ditch  
Date:   Fri 10 Jan 12:59

The Adrian Doherty book is a great read - was set for a stellar career at Man U before serious injury.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net