DAFC.net
Home 26 May 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Spanish Mercenaries
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 8 Jan 19:00

Is there no depth some already rich clubs won't plumb when loads of money is dangled in front of their greedy faces?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51013150

Saudi Arabia. A vile country, with vile leaders, appalling human rights history and no rights for women........

Let's just ignore their shocking policies because they're shelling out millions of petrodollars for a few football matches.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Spanish Mercenaries
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 8 Jan 19:51

Totally agree GG it stinks

This from the bbc :-
The deal was only signed after Saudi Arabia agreed women would be able to attend the games.

Human rights organisation Amnesty International has highlighted the country's "abysmal" human rights record. Heavy restrictions on freedom of expression and women's rights have been raised, as has the use of the death penalty for offences not recognised as crimes under international law.

Spain's acting junior minister for sport, Maria Jose Rienda, said in November the government would not support holding the competition "in countries where women's rights are not respected".

So the Spanish government have changed tact because women are allowed into the games ??
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 8 Jan 23:06

Been going on for decades. Back in 1989 Celtic played in Liverpool in a notional British Cup. I think Celtic won it on penalties.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 8 Jan 23:34

"Saudi Arabia. A vile country, with vile leaders, appalling human rights history and no rights for women........"

For the record - Spain has quite a few skeletons in the cupboard on human rights, aided and abetted by the Catholic Church and medical professionals there.

"Spain's acting junior minister for sport, Maria Jose Rienda, said in November the government would not support holding the competition "in countries where women's rights are not respected".

Interesting comment from a minister of a country that not that long ago in relative terms systematically removed children from their families - estimated at 300,000.

Oops, sorry - getting too political !!!

Post Edited (Wed 08 Jan 23:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 00:12

Actually when GG started a thread titled Spanish Mercenaries I thought 'here he goes talking about Pep again' but no this time he was referring to other Spaniards who are taking millions of petrodollars from Middle Eastern dictatorships.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 01:05

I thought he was talking about my bird... little did I know etc...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: preston par  
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 11:24

Hate all this nonsense with trying to play La Liga games in the US, finals in Saudi Arabia etc.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 13:13

Quote:

veteraneastender, Wed 8 Jan 23:34

"Saudi Arabia. A vile country, with vile leaders, appalling human rights history and no rights for women........"

For the record - Spain has quite a few skeletons in the cupboard on human rights, aided and abetted by the Catholic Church and medical professionals there.

"Spain's acting junior minister for sport, Maria Jose Rienda, said in November the government would not support holding the competition "in countries where women's rights are not respected".

Interesting comment from a minister of a country that not that long ago in relative terms systematically removed children from their families - estimated at 300,000.

Oops, sorry - getting too political !!!

I take your point, VEE, but a smart lad like you knows that no number of wrongs make a right. My main gripe was the money grabbing, made worse by giving good publicity to a horrible, repressive regime.

The whole Super cup idea is pretty tosh anyway. Imagine having a trophy for winning one game, as many countries do. Of course, the only reason there are 4 teams in the Spanish version this season, is because the Saudis have loads of cash to splash around.

I don't think we've ever had a Super cup in Scotland, although Pars v Celtic in 68 was as good as one, judging by the crowd that evening - maybe Sliema Par can get us to try and guess it?

England has the Charity Shield. What percentage of the "gate" goes to charity?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 13:41

I think they had to rename it the Community Shield because they didn't say how much.

Footballs just jumping on the cash bandwagon.We've already had the likes of Anthony Joshua,Tyson Fury in the WWE,Amir Kham and Mariah Carey there in recent months chasing the money.

The Italians have already staged their Supercoppa there.

ETA Just read that Barry Hearn has signed a lucrative 10 year deal for snooker to hold the most lucrative ranking event there.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/51006074

Post Edited (Thu 09 Jan 15:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 9 Jan 20:32

Fair comment I suppose

Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde says he preferred the old format of the Spanish Super Cup and that the competition is only being held in Saudi Arabia because of the money on offer.

The competition has been reformatted to include the two top in La Liga and the finalists in the Copa del Rey.

It is normally played in August between the league and cup winners.

"The bottom line is football has become a business and as a business it looks for income," Valverde said.

"That's the reason we are all here.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net