DAFC.net
Home 03 August 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 A settled team.
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Tue 14 Jan 19:32

For me, it seems like this is something we've really lacked this year and Crawford is footering about endlessly with things. Watched games this year where its difficult to even know what formation he is sending us out with. Players repeatedly being played out of position as well seems to be something that we're seeing - McCann and Ryan being prime examples.

Personally, I'd argue that a fair few of the problems we're seeing now are due to the constant chopping and changing that SC seems to be indulging in. To me it signals that he's either over-thinking or he has no idea what he's doing. Moreover, this can't really command the confidence of the players who have no idea of whether they can keep their places!

For the record. I'd argue that SC has been 50-50 on the recruitment front, but I really do not think he is up to the job of being our manager.

----

A few thoughts on the players:

Goalkeepers:

Scully - What has happened to him? A shadow of the keeper we had a few seasons back. Doesn't command his area or the confidence of his CBs.

Gill - Been caught flatfooted on a few occasions but imho, didn't deserve to be dropped the second time around. Some work on set-piece positioning and footwork and I really think he can come good. Inclined to agree with some that he would have benefited from a loan in League 1 or 2 but I'd put him in over Scully and I'd hope that folk would keep off his back if that happens!

Defence:

Comrie - If Gary Mason had been a RB...does his job quietly and effectively.

Lang - Liked the look of him in the cup game - looked mobile and comfortable on the ball. Was looking forward to seeing him getting a go in the first team but the injuries meant it wasn't to be. Decision to send him on loan just now is bizarre in some respect but understandable.

Morrison - seems to be becoming a bit of a forgotten man at EEP played superbly against Celtic and then seems to not have had another look in since then. Another victim of dodgy SC decisions in my mind, as the performance of others should beg the question why? No mention of a ptoential loan move either.

Murray - looks to be solid but I wouldn't pin hopes on him being the messiah just yet.

Ashcroft - hasn't looked the same player since Morris and he has never struck me as the most vocal of players, which bothered me a bit when he was made Captain last year.

Devine - for me is just meh. Isn't as bad as is made out by some, but ain't all that great either. Still remember the Arbroath game where he kept trying to play the ball high! Really can't understand why SC or AJ rated him.

Martin - can't make up my mind whether I prefer him at LB or CB but capable in either position tbh. Was never his greatest fan but he has changed my mind over the last few seasons.

Edwards - I think he's been fine in spells but he's made a few bad mistakes that have lead to goals. Airdrie supporting pal of mine was very surprised that we'd signed him and didn't rate him at all!

Midfield:

Paton - Like Alex Burke, he's one of these players I just don't see how he can be rated so highly. He's not overly bad, but the guy for me is just done and SC has shot himself in the foot by making him captain.

Dow - A cracking find in my mind. could be a potential candidate for Captain? One of the older players in the squad and this could be an incentive for him to stay for a longer period beyond 2021

Beadling - Another who seems to be going backwards at the moment in my mind, but I can see the argument that he has been a victim of the repeated SC chopping and changing. Would far rather see him take over the role of Paton.

Turner - I really think there is a player in there and he has a really solid creative ability for me. Don't buy the arguments that he's too lightweight as he performed consistently over three full seasons in League One with Stranraer.

Thomson - Great to see him back but doesn't seem to be hitting the form that he was previously. Hopefully with time this will come again, but I don't see this under the current management team.

Cochrane - Had very little impact in my mind.

McDonald - Looked to have potential but was largely a waste of a signing.

Coley - Looked a decent prospect at the start of the season but poor decision making.

Thomas - looks to be a good addition!

Ross - Obviously willing to give him a chance, but seems a bit strange to me that we are developing so many other teams wide players rather than doing as we have with others and finding a left winger of our own to develop.

Attack:

Nisbet - What a find he's been!

Kiltie - Really liked Kiltie as a player and I wonder if there would be a chance to bring him back in the summer and if he'd be interested. I did always wonder if we'd have fared better with him playing out left with Ryan and Nisbet paired in the middle.

Ryan - Really feel for him as he doesn't seem to have had a far crack at his natural position from either manager. AJ always gave Clark far too much grace, while SC repeatedly plays him out of position. For SC, as a former international striker, to not be able to get a player who was previously been the top scorer in the county into a scoring mentality is a very worrying sign.

McGill - The less said the better. Really looks off the pace when he's played in the first team.

McCann - Another who seems to be played out of position repeatedly. Looks a good prospect and I would like to see him sent out to League 1 for the second half of this season to see how he does.

------

I'd be happy for us to go with Gill for the remainder of the season or to bring in an experienced keeper and get him out on loan.

For me a back four of Comrie, Ashcroft, Murray, Martin is a pretty solid place to build a team on. I would be interested to see how a Murray-Lang partnership would work in the middle too!

I've never really believed the caveat that you need a defensive and attacking midefielder and would like to see us with Thomson and Turner playing together as box-to-box midfielders as both seem to have the energy levels to do that, as well as an ability to carry the ball. That said, Turner might have to develop slightly on the defensive part of his game there. With Dow on the right, the main unknown for me is the left flank.

On the attacking front, I really think an Andy Ryan and Kevin Nisbet partnership could have come good if we could sort the midfield to get service in from out wide and proper support from the central midfield. If we were playing one slightly behind, I'd have thought Nisbet would have been the ideal one as he has the ability to win and carry the ball with Andy Ryan playing the more advanced role.

If we go down the youth route, we need an experienced manager and there are just too many things telling me that Crawford is not the man: poor man management, constant tinkering, random dropping of players, players played out of position and just generally not inspiring confidence. A good number of players seem to be festering rather than developing.

Partick Away has to be the line and if we lose there, then Ross McArthur has to act imo.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: A settled team.
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 14 Jan 21:33

I agree with everything, Scully IMHO always struggled with crosses. Gill should be given another chance, he is young enough to be coached in how to deal with free kicks.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Tue 14 Jan 21:58

Quote:

eastendalloapar, Tue 14 Jan 21:33

I agree with everything, Scully IMHO always struggled with crosses. Gill should be given another chance, he is young enough to be coached in how to deal with free kicks.

Gill shouldn't get anywhere near the 1st team for now. Not good enough
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Tue 14 Jan 23:27

Quote:

BigJPar, Tue 14 Jan 21:58

Quote:

eastendalloapar, Tue 14 Jan 21:33

Gill shouldn't get anywhere near the 1st team for now. Not good enough

He is a better alternative than Scully at the moment in my opinion.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 07:39

A very candid assessment of every player in the squad, HJ. That's not to say I agree 100% with each and every one, but we're fairly close.... :-)

Where I disagree is that you feel that the team's inconsistent form is attributable to the manager's constant chopping and changing of the starting XI. Leaving aside the enforced changes due to injuries and suspensions, he has to take into account individual performances as well as results.

Are you advocating that Crawford should identify his best team and select that week in week out, whenever possible and ignore the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition, loss of form by our own players and those who are showing up well in training? I very much doubt it.

The same charge was laid at the door of the unfortunate John Potter, when he was in charge. He brought in 5 or 6 new players during the Jan window to try and improve results. Unfortunately, the new players proved to be no better than the ones he already had, so when he changed the line up after yet another poor result it made no difference. Had he persisted with the same team each week, he'd have been crucified for not giving the fringe players a chance.

Is it not the same for SC? By all means stick with a winning line up, but if results are not forthcoming, players not in the team will at least expect a chance to show that they can do better. If not, he's going to have a lot of unhappy players to deal with.

The only change I can think of which I found hard to fathom, was when Gill was dropped after the team had won 3 games in a row. Scully came in and we lost 4-3 at Dens. Perhaps Gill was carrying a slight injury, but he was on the bench....

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 08:41

GG I think most people would like to just see evidence Craford has a clue what he's doing and maybe see a bit of progress?
We have a young squad to "develope" that's not showing to many signs of developing, certainly mentally they appear to have gone backwards.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 09:06

Quote:

Rastapari, Wed 15 Jan 08:41

GG I think most people would like to just see evidence Craford has a clue what he's doing and maybe see a bit of progress?
We have a young squad to "develope" that's not showing to many signs of developing, certainly mentally they appear to have gone backwards.

I understand your concerns, but you haven't said anything to contradict what I said, which is that a manager is obliged to make changes when results and performances are poor, otherwise he will alienate those players who are not featuring in the team.

Fringe players can usually handle being on the bench or even in the stand when the starting XI is playing well and winning games, even though they will want to be a part of it. Not so easy to keep them quiet if they see a player whose position they could play in, get picked again after a poor performance.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 09:26

Quote:

GG Riva, Wed 15 Jan 09:06

Quote:

Rastapari, Wed 15 Jan 08:41

I understand your concerns, but you haven't said anything to contradict what I said, which is that a manager is obliged to make changes when results and performances are poor, otherwise he will alienate those players who are not featuring in the team.

Fringe players can usually handle being on the bench or even in the stand when the starting XI is playing well and winning games, even though they will want to be a part of it. Not so easy to keep them quiet if they see a player whose position they could play in, get picked again after a poor performance.

Have the changes been warranted then?
Results say no...and then there's the change he won't make...our beloved captain's legs were gone last season in a truly awful Falkirk team...no surprise those legs haven't returned.
I'm sorry but the changes he makes don't make much sense to the casual observer or in the turn of results.
And to be frank we don't look up for a fight....and that is what will see us relegated.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 09:57

Couldn’t agree more. The team for the Morton game was a kick in the teeth for turner, beadling and Thompson. As usual we were decent for 30 minutes the. The midfield legs went and we drifted out of the game.

I’m all for a settled team, but in my view we are chopping and changing the wrong players, some seem to be guaranteed a game but havent justifies it while other better players are dropped around them.

I wish gill had been out on loan last season, too raw to be bloodied at this level.

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!

Post Edited (Wed 15 Jan 11:01)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 09:58

''Have the changes been warranted then?
Results say no...''

I'm confused, Rasta. ''warranted'' means justified or necessary, so I'd say if the team has played poorly and you have other options available, it's perfectly justifiable to make changes to your starting line up in the next game or to use subs during a game.

Now if you're asking whether these changes have been effective, well that's another question which you haven't asked, so I won't answer it. What I will say is that your opposition to Crawford's appointment from the very beginning makes it very difficult to be completely objective, try as hard as you like.

''and then there's the change he won't make...our beloved captain's legs were gone last season in a truly awful Falkirk team...no surprise those legs haven't returned.''

I think you're being unduly harsh on Paton. He may not be the quickest, but his experience is important and has been in evidence in those games we've won.

''I'm sorry but the changes he makes don't make much sense to the casual observer or in the turn of results. And to be frank we don't look up for a fight....and that is what will see us relegated.''

The changes will make sense to the management team, I'm sure and ultimately, he will be judged on results more than performances. I hope both the management team and the playing squad have a more positive mindset than you, Rasta, or we really are fekked! :-(

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 10:11

Unfortunately performances, in particular after we concede a goal, would suggest the team do not have a positive mindset - you can almost see the confidence draining from the players. This is my biggest concern with Stevie - the best leaders instil confidence in their teams even in adversity - it feels to me that our management team really struggles with this.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 12:43

Quote:

AJ27, Wed 15 Jan 10:11

Unfortunately performances, in particular after we concede a goal, would suggest the team do not have a positive mindset - you can almost see the confidence draining from the players. This is my biggest concern with Stevie - the best leaders instil confidence in their teams even in adversity - it feels to me that our management team really struggles with this.

I would suggest all the players are well aware of how massive a positive mindset is, AJ, for it's a subject that comes up regularly on the school visits, but at the moment it appears to be a very fragile one.

I agree that some legendary managers were able to instil confidence and self belief into their players - none better than Jock Stein and Bill Shankly, imo - but there's no better way to inject these qualities into a team than for them to win several consecutive games.

Catch 22, eh?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 16:16

Last season we won 5 in a row, confidence should have been high,then we went 8 without winning.In July/August we went 3 unbeaten then lost 5 in a row.We won 3 in a row in December and have now lost another 5 in a row.The confidence should have been there at certain times but we have failed spectacularly to build on momentum when we have had any.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 16:38

GG....we have not had confidence after good runs....in fact the bad run after has been horrible.
In all honesty I feel you are trying to talk down the role of manager here.
Stevie is no more a motivator than I am a pro sportsman, we have a serious problem with heads going down...now sorry but imo at these times the management should be building the team back up...there is very little evidence of this being the case.
8f the lads are not at least up for a battle we are relegated.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 16:46

Quote:

Rastapari, Wed 15 Jan 16:38

GG....we have not had confidence after good runs....in fact the bad run after has been horrible.
In all honesty I feel you are trying to talk down the role of manager here.
Stevie is no more a motivator than I am a pro sportsman, we have a serious problem with heads going down...now sorry but imo at these times the management should be building the team back up...there is very little evidence of this being the case.
8f the lads are not at least up for a battle we are relegated.

That's why I said the squad's confidence is fragile. I'm not underestimating the manager's role by any means and I fully agree that a good motivator can help a team to overactive never mind just reach its potential.

The Pars have had two such managers in my time of watching them. No prizes for guessing who.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 16:51

”The Pars have had two such managers in my time of watching them. No prizes for guessing who.”

Jocky Scott and Tam Forsyth?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 17:09

Eddie Howe was being touted for huge jobs over the last two seasons.

Now his team is in dire trouble and he has admitted a lack of confidence has a lot to do with it.

Is he now regarded as a pihs manager?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 17:25

MY THOUGHTS IN CAPITALS

A few thoughts on the players:

Goalkeepers:

Scully - What has happened to him? A shadow of the keeper we had a few seasons back. Doesn't command his area or the confidence of his CBs.

AGREE

Gill - Been caught flatfooted on a few occasions but imho, didn't deserve to be dropped the second time around. Some work on set-piece positioning and footwork and I really think he can come good. Inclined to agree with some that he would have benefited from a loan in League 1 or 2 but I'd put him in over Scully and I'd hope that folk would keep off his back if that happens!

NOT YET READY - NEEDS TO GO ON LOAN AND DEVELOP HIS CRAFT

Defence:

Comrie - If Gary Mason had been a RB...does his job quietly and effectively.

I LIKE HIM

Lang - Liked the look of him in the cup game - looked mobile and comfortable on the ball. Was looking forward to seeing him getting a go in the first team but the injuries meant it wasn't to be. Decision to send him on loan just now is bizarre in some respect but understandable.

NEVER SEEN HIM PLAY

Morrison - seems to be becoming a bit of a forgotten man at EEP played superbly against Celtic and then seems to not have had another look in since then. Another victim of dodgy SC decisions in my mind, as the performance of others should beg the question why? No mention of a ptoential loan move either.

HAD AN ABSLOUTE MARE AGAINST UTD AND RIGHTLY DROPPED. UP TO HIM TO PROVE HE IS WORTH A PLACE IN TRAINING AND RESERVE GAMES

Murray - looks to be solid but I wouldn't pin hopes on him being the messiah just yet.

WILL PROBABLY TURN OUT OUR BEST SIGNING

Ashcroft - hasn't looked the same player since Morris and he has never struck me as the most vocal of players, which bothered me a bit when he was made Captain last year.

HE SHOUTS ALL THE TIME. CAN'T BE THE SAME ASHCROFT?

Devine - for me is just meh. Isn't as bad as is made out by some, but ain't all that great either. Still remember the Arbroath game where he kept trying to play the ball high! Really can't understand why SC or AJ rated him.

HE THINKS HE CAN PLAY OUT FROM THE BACK. EH, HE CAN'T

Martin - can't make up my mind whether I prefer him at LB or CB but capable in either position tbh. Was never his greatest fan but he has changed my mind over the last few seasons.

I LIKE HIM

Edwards - I think he's been fine in spells but he's made a few bad mistakes that have lead to goals. Airdrie supporting pal of mine was very surprised that we'd signed him and didn't rate him at all!

NOT READY FOR THIS LEVEL YET

Midfield:

Paton - Like Alex Burke, he's one of these players I just don't see how he can be rated so highly. He's not overly bad, but the guy for me is just done and SC has shot himself in the foot by making him captain.

DOES AN IMPORTANT JOB FOR THE TEAM AND ALWAYS AVAILABLE FOR A PASS

Dow - A cracking find in my mind. could be a potential candidate for Captain? One of the older players in the squad and this could be an incentive for him to stay for a longer period beyond 2021

I LIKE HIM

Beadling - Another who seems to be going backwards at the moment in my mind, but I can see the argument that he has been a victim of the repeated SC chopping and changing. Would far rather see him take over the role of Paton.

NEEDS A LONG RUN IN THE TEAM. UNPROVEN

Turner - I really think there is a player in there and he has a really solid creative ability for me. Don't buy the arguments that he's too lightweight as he performed consistently over three full seasons in League One with Stranraer.

HE'S TOO LIGHTWEIGHT

Thomson - Great to see him back but doesn't seem to be hitting the form that he was previously. Hopefully with time this will come again, but I don't see this under the current management team.

HE'S BEEN OUT FOR A YEAR - GIVE HIM A CHANCE

Cochrane - Had very little impact in my mind.

AGREE

McDonald - Looked to have potential but was largely a waste of a signing.

CAN'T HELP BEING INJURED. HE WAS HIGHLY RATED AT HEARTS

Coley - Looked a decent prospect at the start of the season but poor decision making.

AGREE

Thomas - looks to be a good addition!

NOT SEEN HIM

Ross - Obviously willing to give him a chance, but seems a bit strange to me that we are developing so many other teams wide players rather than doing as we have with others and finding a left winger of our own to develop.

HE'S A QUICK FIX, HOPEFULLY

Attack:

Nisbet - What a find he's been!

YES

Kiltie - Really liked Kiltie as a player and I wonder if there would be a chance to bring him back in the summer and if he'd be interested. I did always wonder if we'd have fared better with him playing out left with Ryan and Nisbet paired in the middle.

MUCH BETTER WHEN GIVEN A FREE ROLE UP FRONT

Ryan - Really feel for him as he doesn't seem to have had a far crack at his natural position from either manager. AJ always gave Clark far too much grace, while SC repeatedly plays him out of position. For SC, as a former international striker, to not be able to get a player who was previously been the top scorer in the county into a scoring mentality is a very worrying sign.

HE'S HAD PLENTY OPPORTUNITIES

McGill - The less said the better. Really looks off the pace when he's played in the first team.

NEVER SEEN HIM

McCann - Another who seems to be played out of position repeatedly. Looks a good prospect and I would like to see him sent out to League 1 for the second half of this season to see how he does.

LIKED HIM AT THE START WHEN USED UP FRONT. LOST HIS WAY SINCE

------

I'd be happy for us to go with Gill for the remainder of the season or to bring in an experienced keeper and get him out on loan.

THE LATTER

For me a back four of Comrie, Ashcroft, Murray, Martin is a pretty solid place to build a team on. I would be interested to see how a Murray-Lang partnership would work in the middle too!

AGREE BUT LANG IS NOW GONE

I've never really believed the caveat that you need a defensive and attacking midefielder and would like to see us with Thomson and Turner playing together as box-to-box midfielders as both seem to have the energy levels to do that, as well as an ability to carry the ball. That said, Turner might have to develop slightly on the defensive part of his game there. With Dow on the right, the main unknown for me is the left flank.

DISAGREE - WE WOULD BE VULNERABLE TO COUNTER ATTACKS RIGHT THROUGH THE MIDDLE

On the attacking front, I really think an Andy Ryan and Kevin Nisbet partnership could have come good if we could sort the midfield to get service in from out wide and proper support from the central midfield. If we were playing one slightly behind, I'd have thought Nisbet would have been the ideal one as he has the ability to win and carry the ball with Andy Ryan playing the more advanced role.

DON'T AGREE WITH ANY OF THAT. RYAN HAS HAD HIS CHANCES AND A STRENGTH OF NISBET IS HIS PLAY WITH HIS BACK TO GOAL

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 17:29

I Like Howe but the signs were there last season, they had a superb start that probably saved them. I think one or two players have their eyes on moving elsewhere. He spent £40 million on Ibe and Solanke from Liverpool but they haven't done it.He's spent a lot of money on domestic based players, more often than not paying over the odds for what they have done on the park.I wonder if that's why none of the bigger teams have gone for him?

On the whole he's done a great job-not taking that away from him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 18:08

Howe has been hit and miss in the market now he’s spending decent money but they have their 3 best players out injured and a number of other squad players so fielding too many not good enough, much like us.

Once they get them all back I think they and he will start to turn it round....

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 18:28

Bournemouth are the smallest club in the EPL by virtue of their 11,000 capacity stadium. They have been punching well above their weight and Howe has done really well to keep them there when you consider that some far bigger clubs are as low as League One never mind all those in the Championship.

If they go down, they're unlikely to come back, ever.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 18:38

He's had a bigger net spend than Liverpool,Spurs and Chelsea since they were in the PL! Spent over £200 million on players since 2015.They are currently odds on with the bookies to get relegated.

They can be quite an attractive team to watch so would like to see them stay up.Fraser looks to be off on a free at the end of the season and Callum Wilson hasn't been as good this season and they always seemed integral to their success.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7845269/Bournemouth-going-backwards-Eddie-Howe-year-down.html

Just read they were fined for breaching Financial Fair Play in the season they got promoted to the PL.They were fined £7.6 million-probably worth it for them looking back,I bet their promotion rivals weren't too happy.

If they go down they at least have parachute payments and a billionaire owner.

Post Edited (Wed 15 Jan 18:44)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 18:45

I've no idea why Bournemouth don't spend some money on a decent sized stadium
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 18:47

Just noticed Howe is 6/4 favourite in the PL sack race which did surprise me
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net